PDA

View Full Version : Hiking shoes with the most toe room?

Local
01-25-2014, 21:27
I would like recommendations on hiking shoes with a lot of room to slide forward. In March I'm going back to Israel and the last trip I had problems on the steep slopes in the desert. Although I had broken in the shoes on the AT around Damascus, which has plenty of steep slopes, this was nothing like the straight-down inclines of the Negev, and tying them tighter didn't help. I ended up cutting the top front off the Merrell's I had, and although it looked weird, it worked. I'm taking them back but if someone has a better suggestion I would appreciate it. Here's the website I'm doing: www.israeltrail.net (http://www.israeltrail.net). This trip I hope to pick up the Jesus Trail, the Golan Trail, and part of the Abraham Path in Jordan. Thanks for any advice.

hikerboy57
01-25-2014, 21:34
I would like recommendations on hiking shoes with a lot of room to slide forward. In March I'm going back to Israel and the last trip I had problems on the steep slopes in the desert. Although I had broken in the shoes on the AT around Damascus, which has plenty of steep slopes, this was nothing like the straight-down inclines of the Negev, and tying them tighter didn't help. I ended up cutting the top front off the Merrell's I had, and although it looked weird, it worked. I'm taking them back but if someone has a better suggestion I would appreciate it. Here's the website I'm doing: www.israeltrail.net (http://www.israeltrail.net). This trip I hope to pick up the Jesus Trail, the Golan Trail, and part of the Abraham Path in Jordan. Thanks for any advice.
if youve already tried crosstying your laces across your forefoot,you could try switching out the insoles for superfeet or another that gives good arch support. this will reduce the volume between your heel and your forefoot and help keep your foot from sliding forward into the toebox.or you may just be buying shoes that are too small. i own merrells .but really dont care for them as much as lasportiva ultra raptors.

johnnybgood
01-25-2014, 21:56
Keen Targhees have wider toe box than my Merrell Espresso's.

Dogwood
01-25-2014, 21:56
Hiking shoes with the most toe room?
KEENS.

jimmyjam
01-25-2014, 22:43
Yep Keens works for me. My feet are wide and the toes next to my big toe are longer than my big toe.

nastynate
01-25-2014, 22:53
Altra' s have a huge toe box as well.

LIhikers
01-25-2014, 23:05
I don't know if you'd consider boots, but I use Vasque Clarions. I have ingrown toenails and need a roomy toe box too.

Local
01-26-2014, 00:28
Thanks. I just bought some Keen sandals but didn't think of buying their hiking shoes. I'll check into those as well as the Altra's and Lasportiva Ultra Raptors. We have limited selection here in town but there are a couple of other outfitters within an hour's drive. LIhikers, thanks, but boots are generally too hot for the desert. Even in April it can go over 110. I appreciate all of the advice and will follow up on it.

pipsissewa
01-26-2014, 07:20
...We have limited selection here in town...

????????????????? I'm shocked by that. Trekstas have a last that is based anatomy (not art) and are shaped more like the human foot. They have a good toe box with plenty of room for ALL your toes. Good luck! :)

q-tip
01-26-2014, 09:41
Montbell AT Plus if you can find them.

Frank Patriot
01-26-2014, 10:00
I recently made the switch from my Keen Targhee II 'waterproof' boots to some Salomon 'Gecko' trail running shoes. I really wish I'd done it a long time ago. Btw, here's a write up to my blog where I discuss it. If you get bored and get tired of watching pain dry, check it out :). I even drew a cartoon to go with it. Yay cartoons! :
http://geartoons.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/my-salomon-gecko-trail-running-shoe/

Gillum
01-26-2014, 10:01
Keens have been my go to shoes

Shutterbug
01-26-2014, 12:12

If you have not tried Vibram FiveFinger Shoes, try them. I wear them to hike the Grand Canyon and have never had a blister. When you are on the steep downhill slopes, the pressure points are between the toes. Be sure to wear them for several weeks before the big hike. One's feet have to be accustomed to them.

The way I discovered how well the FiveFinger Shoes work was accidental. I bought some very expensive boots from REI. They were good on the level ground, but killed my feet on the steep downhill slopes. I had a pair of FiveFingers in my pack to use as camp shoes. My feet were hurting enough that I removed my expensive boots and put on the FiveFinger Shoes. That was four years ago and I have never gone back to the boots. Last year, I hiked the Inca Trail in my FiveFinger Shoes. They were great.

Gillum
01-26-2014, 18:08
I should clarify. My old Inov 8 have a great toe box and are a great seasonal shoe (wet conditions). My Keen shoes also have a great toe box though I use them in dry and rocky conditions.

My newer Inov 8 seem to be have a smaller toe box than my old Inov 8

Frank Patriot
01-29-2014, 18:10
My wife got me some Vibram Five Fingers for Christmas. I really like them, but haven't had the nerve to take them on a big hike yet. I agree that it's best to break them in well first. The only thing I don't like about them is that there are open places that let small debris and rocks get in and find their way under my foot. Wish they had a screen or something to keep that crap out, but it's not enough to make me stop wearing them. They're really comfortable.

Seatbelt
01-29-2014, 18:57
Another vote here for the Keen Targhees; this is after trying numerous others first including the Merrells you mentioned; they just don't last as long...IMO.

Odd Man Out
01-30-2014, 00:09
these days I'm wearing Keen Voyageurs (low top), which are pretty much the same as the Targhees, but with vent panels further down the side and without the waterproof liner. Wonderful shoe.

ChuckT
02-01-2014, 08:11
Keens for me. Lots of toe room. I have been trying NB Trail Runners - 3rd pair going back. Trekas? That's a new name for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

pipsissewa
02-01-2014, 08:41
Keens for me. Lots of toe room. I have been trying NB Trail Runners - 3rd pair going back. Trekas? That's a new name for me.

I first heard of TrekStas a couple of years ago when Backpacker Magazine gave them their Editor's Choice Award. I'm on my second pair of Evolution Mid Goretex.

I do like mine; their light (26 oz. a pair) with pretty good ankle support. They just fit my feet better than most boots--never had a blister or hot spot with these. (Sorry--I don't mean to sound like a commercial!)

Here's a video explaining how their fit is different from that of most manufacturers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYFIzJdCI7I&feature=channel_video_title

Shutterbug
02-01-2014, 11:33
My wife got me some Vibram Five Fingers for Christmas. I really like them, but haven't had the nerve to take them on a big hike yet. I agree that it's best to break them in well first. The only thing I don't like about them is that there are open places that let small debris and rocks get in and find their way under my foot. Wish they had a screen or something to keep that crap out, but it's not enough to make me stop wearing them. They're really comfortable.

I wear socks with my Vibrams. They minimize the problem of sand getting in the shoes. The toe socks are available on eBay.

Seatbelt
02-01-2014, 11:56
I wear socks with my Vibrams. They minimize the problem of sand getting in the shoes. The toe socks are available on eBay.

http://www.amazon.com/Injinji-2012-Performance-Lightweight-Socks/dp/B003WWHZJ2/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

ChuckT
02-02-2014, 08:16
Sorry pipsissewa I spotted the spelling error. But can't edit posts.

ChuckT
02-02-2014, 08:25
I think one general point is worth making.
Wouldn't it be worth talking about hiking foot wear in terms of footshape?
My dogs are broad at the toe, high and wide-ish in front of the ankle and normal at the heel. The shape of my feet also curve out just a bit.
So a shoe to fit me (WAY back when Backpacker called this an American Last) will not be made on a European or Oriental Last.
YFMV!

pipsissewa
02-02-2014, 08:36
Sorry pipsissewa I spotted the spelling error. But can't edit posts.

No worries! I just capitalized the S because that's the way they write it on their website. I wasn't calling you out. I can't edit either! One of the benefits of donating, I guess!

Carry on... :sun

ChuckT
02-02-2014, 19:35
Looked at TrekStas web page but didn't find enough info as to sizes.or lasts. I will try again from a desktop rather then this phone.

Marta
02-02-2014, 19:42
It doesn't sound to me as if a wider toe box will help. Moving up a half or a whole size might. For that kind of heat I'd go with a well-ventilated shoe, too. Heat plus moisture plus friction equal blisters. Eliminate one or two of those factors and you won't have blisters.

Personally, I'm a fan of Chacos. They take some time to get used to, though. You have to build up the muscles in your feet to make up for the fact that they provide less support than most shoes, and figure out what sort of socks, if any, you will wear with them. You have to learn to be very attentive to where and how you step, and be careful not to stab your feet with your hiking poles. :-)

SunnyWalker
02-04-2014, 20:44
Keens are known for their bigger toe box.

Lint
02-09-2014, 01:52
I've been wearing the Altra Lone Peak for a few years and absolutely love them. Hiked the CDT, AZT and PCT wearing them, and cannot recommend them enough. Once you experience a shoe that's actually built to fit the human foot, there is no going back. Granted there is no magic shoe that works for everyone, but Altra is making some wicked good footwear. I've tried a few different models but keep coming back to the Lone Peak. You can find a link to their site from my website; www.LintHikes.com

ChuckT
02-09-2014, 09:40
Hmm, I like what I see on their website but wish the last was described in text because the fitter thingee wouldn't work on my Android phone. I will have to call them during the week, normal business hours.

JustBob
02-09-2014, 09:53
I need a wide toe box too. The best fit I've had in a low shoe was Keen Targhees. I liked them so much that I bought a pair of Voyagers for warmer weather. But both of the Voyager soles delaminated after about 60 miles.

Their QC seems pretty random. There's a lot of hate for Keen on the web, but lots of folks have Keens that are fine. Myself, one Keen is fine, the other junk.

I like the Voyagers so much that I want to buy another pair. I wish I knew what the trick was to finding a pair that stays glued together for a reasonable number of miles. If anyone has thoughts on that I'd love to hear them.

SunnyWalker
02-10-2014, 00:16
Targhee. I've walked thru river crossings for days with them. Still using them. Great shoe. Great for hiking. Are you sure you did not put them to close to the fire to dry them out? That is a main cause for delamination.

Meriadoc
02-10-2014, 01:10
Teva Terra Lite sandals. Great grip on sole. Great grip foot to footbed. Wearing Darn Tough socks in muddy conditions to prevent slipping. I always leave them loose letting the friction between my foot and the sandal do the work. The straps only keep the sandal on my foot for the up stroke of the hiking motion.

JustBob
02-10-2014, 15:04
Targhee. I've walked thru river crossings for days with them. Still using them. Great shoe. Great for hiking. Are you sure you did not put them to close to the fire to dry them out? That is a main cause for delamination.

My Targhees are still holding up, but my Keen Voyagers (which were never anywhere near a heat vent, never mind a fire) fell apart after 4 day hikes.

Almost There
02-10-2014, 19:09
Here's another thumbs- up for Altras. Almost bought a pair this weekend, very roomy, but based on where I'm hiking this year I went with a pair of Innov-8 Roclites...plenty of room for the Fred Flintstones up front, and I liked how when tied my heel was secured in the back of the shoe without sliding. Really the only way you can know is to try them on. One of the newer Altras I tried needed to be sized up one size to fit. I wear a 13 usually with plenty of space, but needed a 14 for the Altra.

Drybones
02-10-2014, 20:53
I first heard of TrekStas a couple of years ago when Backpacker Magazine gave them their Editor's Choice Award. I'm on my second pair of Evolution Mid Goretex.

I do like mine; their light (26 oz. a pair) with pretty good ankle support. They just fit my feet better than most boots--never had a blister or hot spot with these. (Sorry--I don't mean to sound like a commercial!)

Here's a video explaining how their fit is different from that of most manufacturers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYFIzJdCI7I&feature=channel_video_title

These are pretty good shoes, I did the first 415 AT miles with them and they were still in decent condition but I switched to Asic Kahana 5 trail runners to get away from the Goretex and also have a wider toe box. Had they been non Goretex I would have continued with them. Still use them for < week hikes in cool weather or snow. Very lightweight, pretty durable, good support, didn't need breaking in.

AkaMirage
02-11-2014, 12:28
Keen and Vibram both make some great footwear. Both for very different uses as far as I'm concerned...

I've owned a pair of Keen Targhees, and done several hikes in them. They're a GREAT boot with a nice wide toe box as everyone has mentioned, but as Marta said, if it's going to be getting up to 110, these boots will absolutely roast your feet... the big drawback to waterproof boots. The being said, Keen does have options that aren't waterproof and still have that wide toe box. I went up a full size with my Targhees, and that was perfect for me.

Now, Vibram Fivefingers... I'm so happy there are other people out there who love them as much as I do! I've had a pair pretty consistently for the last 6 years, and was delighted to see that they came out with new versions with a little more tread a few years back. I have done may a hike in the trail running version (Spyridon LS, just under 14oz for the pair), and the extra tread on the bottom is enough protection from the elements for me. These shoes have superb ventilation, and dry quickly. I've never had a problem with rocks in these shoes, but sand can be an issue. This model is on sale on Vibram's website right now too! (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-SpyridonLS-Mens.htm?activity=multiuse)

Heeler59
02-11-2014, 13:00
Actually, Montrail AT Plus. I agree. Discontinued, but they can still be found. I have stockpiled five pairs. They are freakishly wide. Never gotten a blister in them, and my little toe tends to get smushed.b

globetruck
03-03-2014, 21:43
I have a narrow heel, normal arches, and a wider but low volume forefoot. Squarish toes - my 3rd toe is typically the one that gets smashed by excessively pointy boots. Asolos are sooooo close but crush my 3rd toe after a few days. For me, salomon quest 4d boots are AWESOME. Keens were ok and I liked the toe box, but the rest of the boots and shoes were way too wide for me.

Dogwood
03-04-2014, 00:39

if youve already tried crosstying your laces across your forefoot,you could try switching out the insoles for superfeet or another that gives good arch support. this will reduce the volume between your heel and your forefoot and help keep your foot from sliding forward into the toebox.or you may just be buying shoes that are too small. i own merrells .but really dont care for them as much as lasportiva ultra raptors.

I think Hikerboy was making a valid pt. It sounds like it's not just a wide toe box you want because you are solely addressing wide forefeet. It sounds like you're feet are slipping excessively forward inside your shoes on steep downhills which should NOT be the case. It results in toes jamming forward made worse if you have second or third toes that are longer than your so called big toe(that's me). I used to have this problem. It gets painful. I've disfigured toe nails(and toes!) and lost toe nails in the past because of it. This can sometimes be prevented by different lacing patterns that cinch down cradling your instep, an after market orthotic matched to your feet characteristics, or opting for a different shoe fit or some combination of these tricks. Sure, try the Keens with the enormous toebox and possibly going a half to 1 full size larger but if this still happens(try it on the incline ramp if you're shoe store has one!) it's not just the shoe size it may have to do with these other things as well. Try the size shoes you reg wear and then try the same shoe in 1/2 to 1 size larger. Also try a 1/2 size smaller than usual shoe size paying attention to shoe shape and what type of feet characteristics they are designed for. If it's still happening - you're toes jamming too far forward as your entire foot slides forward in your shoe - it might not just be a matter of larger shoes. Try different lacing systems that holds your entire foot in place on downhills with the different sized/shaped shoes.

Look at this. http://www.backpacker.com/gear/5245
Since I have a high large volumed instep I'll sometimes use the lacing system on page 5 of this article but to keep my feet from sliding excessively forward on steep downhills I'll twist the laces using a Surgeons Knot or Overhand Knot at the bottom of my instep(seen inside the bottom of the red oval on page 5). Also, look at the lacing examples on pages 3 and 4 that can help lock your heel in place and prevent your feet from sliding excessively forward inside the shoe on downhills. You may also find you're getting fewer hotspots/blisters if you're feet aren't unduly sliding around inside your hiking shoe.

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2014, 12:06
My shoe size is either 12 1/2 wide or 13, depending on the manufacturer. I used to ALWAYS blow out the sides of my shoes in the front. Since I switched to Keen's, this hasn't happened in years.