PDA

View Full Version : How many pieces of gear do you own

Vthiker77
01-26-2014, 07:24
Ok. My wife is starting to think I'm crazy, but I just want some input from other gear junkies.
I own:
3 tents.
BA Fly Creek UL2
BA Seedhouse SL2
Tarptent moment DW

3 bags
WM Badger 15
Marmot Arroyo 30
Marmot alpine ultralight 40

2 packs
ULA circuit
Golite Jam 50

4 sleep pads
Ridgerest
Neoair xlite
BA air core
TAR prolite

4 stoves
Evernew titanium
2 whitebox stoves
Snow peak lite max

2 (different size) bear cans
Garcia
Bare boxer

And of course all the essential little doodads one needs to stay light and comfortable.

So am I crazy or can I tell my wife I'm not the only one out there?? She's trying to convince me to sell some stuff, but my argument is I have to be prepared for any type of backpacking scenario

I need some help please.

eblanche
01-26-2014, 07:52
2 tents (soon to be 3)
BA Copper Spur ul2
MH non-freestranding heavy 2p tent

3 bags
Mont-bell UL SS #3
Big Agnes Heart Mountain sl
TNF synthetic 40* bag

5 packs (soon to be 6)
Osprey Atmos 50
Osprey Atmos 35
Osprey Hornet 24
TNF Escalada daypack
Ortovox winter snowboard daypack

2 sleep pads
Neoair xlite
BA insulated air core

1 stove
Jetboil sol w/ two al cups

Tons of stuff sacks with more on the way and of course all the small extras like your list. I'm starting to recognize my obsession but I don't think it's a bad thing. It's healthy to have a passion so involving. lol

rocketsocks
01-26-2014, 08:14
How many pieces of gear do you own?

Hahahaha....more than the wife knows about, and half of what I need.;)

Starchild
01-26-2014, 08:17
FWIW, 1 tent, 2 packs (one 20 yrs old external frame), 5 bags (mainly because I included and switched to quilts) , 2 mats.

But your gear is most likely not the issue, it is just what your wife chose (most likely subconsciously) as her target, along with calling you crazy. IMHO the problem lies elsewhere and selling the gear OR proving her that it is not abnormal will only be a short term solution, as either one has one pitted against the other.

Now if you are asking for yourself, no you and not crazy based (solely) on your gear ownership, it is normal for a backpacker, so if you needed that confirmation for yourself you now have it. The solution that you seek (IMHO) will need to be one that you both come to together, as opposed to competing to see who wins.

Good Luck

johnnybgood
01-26-2014, 08:31
I don't possess near the amount of gear that you have but do like to plan my next purchase.
1 tent
1 hammock
2 packs
1 stove
2 sleeping bags
A
Do I think you're completely crazy for having that amount of gear ? As most of us backpackers know, we all are a bit off center....maybe more than others, but we are passionate about hiking, like it or not.

If you feel the need to let some gear go , I'm always here to help you. :)

rocketsocks
01-26-2014, 08:50
3 tents +the big family camping tent
2 bags
3 packs
3 pads
5 stoves (3 store bought 2 homemade) +the family camping 2 burner stove
4 and a half hiking poles
dozen stuff sacks
32 hanks of rope
1 teddy bear

...but this is all I'm prepared to fess up to at this time.

LAF
01-26-2014, 08:53
not enough or too much
3 tents: MHW winter, MSR, Zpacks
3 sleeping bags (2 FF, 1 Marmot - hate the Marnot),
1 quilt (enlightened equipment), soon to be 2?
4 sleeping pads (different thermarest versions (double up close cell with inflatable for winter stuff), fave at the moment is the neoair xlite women's)
3 stoves (2 MSR white gas, 1 jetboil sol)
way too many packs: 2 cold cold world (my go to ice climbing packs), 2 cilo gear (mountaineering packs), 1 HMG (thru hike), 2 MHW Atmos (my go to's for general outings for a long time), 1 Petzl (rock)
and I'm probably forgetting something..........
maybe I should have a sale, hmmmmm,
nah :)

johnnybgood
01-26-2014, 09:07
Hmm...thinking this thread could actually benefit me .I need to show my wife that honestly I do need more stuff . :D

Vthiker77
01-26-2014, 09:24

My favorite response yet :)

Busky2
01-26-2014, 09:32
I am a Solo Hiker with just the essentials like....
2 Tents
3 Hammocks
2 Top Quilts
2 bottom Quilts
2 Bags
5 Packs
5 Stoves
3 Sleep Pads
Too many little odds and ends to add together

q-tip
01-26-2014, 09:40
B-pack & Mountaineering
4 tents
6 packs
4 bags
3 pads
6 boots/trail runners
5 rain jackets
1 softshell
4 rain pants
3 stoves
7 gloves
3 pant
2 bladder
1 steripen
1,000,000 other stuff

Ladytrekker
01-26-2014, 10:43
Your normal I have 5 tents gear is like comfort food

MDSection12
01-26-2014, 10:49
I have an end table covered in nothing but stoves and cook pots... Four packs, two sleeping bags, three tents, three hammocks, two tarps and literally a whole basement piled with other stuff... And I'm broke.

jimmyjam
01-26-2014, 10:59
Too much gear? Never. You're normal .

StubbleJumper
01-26-2014, 11:32
I am simply one of the "poor country cousins" and barely have any gear at all:

3 backpacks
1 tent, 1 hammock
3 pads
2 sleeping bags
2 stoves
3 sets of rain gear + 1 goretex anorak
1 pair of boots + 3 pairs of trail runners in various states of repair
2 sets of poles, soon to be 3
3 lightweight knives (I only ever carry one at a time, but I lose them in the house and then find them again)

So, yeah, I guess that I'll need to raise some funds and go out gear shopping! :-?

illabelle
01-26-2014, 11:39
It's a good thing my husband isn't a WB member or he'd be all excited about this thread.

I have 3 down jackets. I bought the first one, and I like it very much. He bought the next one, and it's okay. He bought the third one (and matching gloves!), and I like it very much. I don't know why I need three, but I've got them.

We have 2 or 3 tents, but that doesn't count the one we gave to family members.

We have two stoves, but we only use one. He has 3 packs (one is an ancient external frame), and I have two.

Slo-go'en
01-26-2014, 13:39
You would have to ask :)

10 packs, 3 fanny packs, 8 sleeping bags, 3 tents, 4 bivy sacks, several tarps, 5 pads, piles of assorted stuff sacks, jackets, vests, gaiters, and other assorted hiking clothes. Three sets of different style crampons, three sets of snowshoes, three stoves (white gas, canister and alcohol), various cook sets and accessories, numerous knifes, lots of maps and guide books, two sets of trekking poles and a lots of boots, most of which should go into the dumpster. And probably stuff I don't even remember I have anymore...

I sold the hammock, but I think I still have the old nylon string mesh hammock I first used.

BTW, I found a good way to store the packs in my closet. Put a coat hanger threw the lift strap at the top of the pack and hang from the clothes bar.

Kerosene
01-26-2014, 13:46
Shelter
SMD Lunar Solo
SMD Europa
zPacks Hexamid Twin
small silnyl tarp
used to have a HH Hammock but sold it

Sleeping Bags
WM HighLite 35
WM UltraLite 20
Marmot Pinnacle 15
LL Bean down bag 20
various camp bags

Packs
REI Flash 50
GG Nimbus Ozone
Camelbak day pack
Mountainsmith day pack

Sleeping Pad
BMW TorsoLite
Thermarest NeoAir short
Thermarest NeoAir medium
Thermarest Prolite short

Stoves
Snow Peak LiteMax
Snow Peak GigaPower
Zelph StarLyte
Optimus 8R (retired)

Plus numerous other extra gear all neatly stored in 8 big plastic bins that fill up half of a spare bedroom. I can probably outfit 3 people for 3-season backpacking.

Marta
01-26-2014, 14:04
I was reading a few pertinent items from this thread to my husband. He laughed and mentioned the gear avalanches that have occurred when trying to pull one particular item from the collection. Ugly.

He's a cyclist and said there are equivalent threads on cycling websites, such as: Do you think my wife will notice if I bring another bike into the garage?

BTW, I'm pruning my collection down to A-list gear. A lot of sleeping bags were donated to a shelter for the homeless. I sold three tents last year, and bought one new one, which leaves me with only three tents and two hammocks. Lots of stoves have gone away. And sleeping pads.

He took his bike collection down to two bikes. It's only fair.

The Old Boot
01-26-2014, 14:11
Ok. My wife is starting to think I'm crazy, but I just want some input from other gear junkies.

So am I crazy or can I tell my wife I'm not the only one out there?? She's trying to convince me to sell some stuff, but my argument is I have to be prepared for any type of backpacking scenario

I need some help please.

No help from me but then I've always known that I was in the 'other line' when they handed out the shopping gene.

I don't understand the 'collecting' gene at all and am perfectly happy with just one great set-up that will get me through anything.

I admit that I'm buying a second pack but that's because I am shifting my focus from backpacking to water excursions and need a pack that is inflatable raft compatible.

Pick the best and sell the rest - think of all the extra trips you'll be able to fund!! :p

Well someone has to take the other side of this...:rolleyes:

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2014, 14:23
On the first day of closet cleanout, my non-hiking spouse chastised me, for
12 Titanium tent stakes
11 sets of guy lines
10 topographic maps
9 assorted compasses
8 water bottles
7 various cook pots
6 nylon packs
5 homemade stoves
4 pairs of boots
3 lightweight tents
2 hiking poles
. . . and not enough time to use them all

Sigh, couldn't resist - okay in reality:
4 internal packs, 2 externals (old relics), 2 tents, 1 tarp, 2 bug nets, 1 hammock, 2 sleeping bags, 4 pots/pans, 3 stoves, 3 closed cell pads, 2 neoairs, 3 headlamps - and a couple of boxes of assorted stuff like down wash, permethrin, insect repellent, camp suds, repair buckles, shock cord, line, etc.

Looking at what others have confessed to, I'm only marginally a hording hiker. Probably time to sell a few items that have fallen from grace though.

jimmyjam
01-26-2014, 14:58
Here's a list of the big stuff:
3 tarps
1 tent
2 packs
3 quilts
2 inflatable pads
2 CCF pads
2 sets of poles
4 alcohol stoves
1 canister stove
and a large assortment of all the other stuff.

Conure
01-26-2014, 15:01
Like another poster stated, I tend to dispose of the lesser quality gear as I obtain better quality. I also tend to use my gear to its limit, repairing and/or modifying it as time goes, until it either becomes the "perfect" piece of gear or simply wears out (in which case I'll replace it when I need it, not before). I'm not the type to buy gear solely for the sake of ownership. I still have gear in my collection from when I was a Boy Scout, not for nostalgia sake but because it still functions well.

Generally, I will research what I need before buying it. Occasionally, when I feel I must purchase a piece of gear I'm uncertain about, I will test it out thoroughly before bringing it into the field. I've managed to destroy a few pieces of gear this way that ended up in the trash, but my life, comfort and/or health were never directly in jeopardy because of it, and that's why I do it.

While I do look to conserve weight, it is not the ultimate deciding factor for gear, to me...dependability is the number one priority, with versatility as a close second (when I can get these two factors AND low weight, well, that's as close to perfect as you can get!).

All this being said, I have:

2 tents (Eureka)
1 hammock (Warbonnet Blackbird)
1 tarp (Warbonnet Superfly)
top/under quilts for hammock (1 of each) (Underground Quilts)
1 sleeping bag (Feathered Friends)
2 packs (Jansport)
4 cooksets (Snow Peak titanium [2], ? stainless steel [2])
2 stoves (Honey Stove, ? [some other multi-fuel type stove])
1 alcohol burner (Trangia)
various clothing (mostly wool, polyester, and various wool/polyester/[spandex] blends)
various accoutrements (knives (3), compass, stakes, water bags, headlamp, etc.)
lots of various cordage (can never have enough)
1 pair hiking poles (Leki)
leather hat (Barmah)

HikerMom58
01-26-2014, 15:07
No help from me but then I've always known that I was in the 'other line' when they handed out the shopping gene.

I don't understand the 'collecting' gene at all and am perfectly happy with just one great set-up that will get me through anything.

I admit that I'm buying a second pack but that's because I am shifting my focus from backpacking to water excursions and need a pack that is inflatable raft compatible.

Pick the best and sell the rest - think of all the extra trips you'll be able to fund!! :p

Fun thread!! I'll join you on the other side of this.... I like to find a good setup and stick with it! :) I do have some "extra tents" but that's about it. I love reading what everyone else is posting.. it's fun!

George
01-26-2014, 15:11
I have gear left from when the kids went with, will be my story
no count mostly guesses
5 tents
3 bivies
3 tarps
20 packs
15 bags
8 stoves
10 pots
12 pads
30 items of rainwear
5 sticks
5 snowshoes

Dogwood
01-26-2014, 15:25
How many pieces of gear do you ownYou could avoid having to answer this question by asking her how many pieces of gear she owns - shoes, purses, hats, dresses, pieces of jewelry, etc. Be careful how you take it from there. happy wife = happy life.

Marta
01-26-2014, 15:46
I have gear left from when the kids went with, will be my story
no count mostly guesses
5 tents
3 bivies
3 tarps
20 packs
15 bags
8 stoves
10 pots
12 pads
30 items of rainwear
5 sticks
5 snowshoes

That's what we were dealing with--downsizing from five campers to two. It takes a LOT of gear to outfit a family. A bit of it went with them into their new abodes, but no one needed junior-sized sleeping bags anymore.

Furlough
01-26-2014, 15:52
4 Backpacks
3 tents - SMD Scout, Coleman XPonent Dakota, REI 1/4 Dome
Henessey Hamock
4 Stoves
2 Pads
2 Sleeping Bags
2 pr Hiking Poles
1 custom made hickory walking stick

StubbleJumper
01-26-2014, 16:43

I mostly like to believe that I'm not a hoarder, but I sorta am. However, in reality, there's a need for a reasonable range of gear because we hike in a range of conditions. When I know that there'll be flat ground, I'll take my tarptent. If I know that there'll be hilly, thick forest, then I'll bring my hammock instead. During July or August, I'll bring a 32-degree bag, but during the shoulder seasons I'll bring my 0-degree bag.

Honest, I'm not a hoarder. Rather, I'm merely a victim of circumstances. :banana

rocketsocks
01-26-2014, 17:42
I mostly like to believe that I'm not a hoarder, but I sorta am. However, in reality, there's a need for a reasonable range of gear because we hike in a range of conditions. When I know that there'll be flat ground, I'll take my tarptent. If I know that there'll be hilly, thick forest, then I'll bring my hammock instead. During July or August, I'll bring a 32-degree bag, but during the shoulder seasons I'll bring my 0-degree bag.

Honest, I'm not a hoarder. Rather, I'm merely a victim of circumstances. :banana
See now that makes perfect sense to me..

when the road is a little icy...I bring yak traks.

when the mountain is a little snowy...I bring spikes, and hope i don't leave em in the truck.

and when falling off said mountain would descend me over a precipice to a gully below..I bring crampons...wait, I don't own crampons yet...Oh Honey...I got a few errands to run.

Bronk
01-26-2014, 18:26
I think it depends on how much you use it. Do you go on just one or two trips a year, or are out there every other weekend? If you're doing 10 to 15 trips a year I don't think what you have is excessive. If you spend more time shopping for gear than you spend on the trail, then you might want to rethink whether you are a hiker or a consumer. Lots of people replace gear trying to find something superior to what they have and then hold on to the old gear to use as a backup in case their primary gear fails...but if you haven't used it in over a year, consider getting rid of it...sometimes you also have different setups for different weather conditions and different types and lengths of trips. I do about 20 trips per year and I don't have as much gear as you do...about 3 years ago I decided that most of my gear was getting old and beat up and decided to start replacing it all...have since bought a new pack and a new sleeping bag and a new sleeping pad and some clothing...would still like to replace the tent, but I'll wait til I find a great deal like I did on the other items.

QiWiz
01-26-2014, 18:52
My argument is I have to be prepared for any type of backpacking scenario. I need some help please.

+1

I'm surprised you get by with such a skimpy set of gear choices. I know lots of folks with way more gear than you. Take me, for instance.

I have 7 packs (I'll admit I might be able to get rid of 2). I only have one sleeping bag (also the WM Badger), but I have 3 sleeping quilts, and 2 hammock underquilts. I have only one tent, but I have a shaped tarp (Zpacks hexamid), a couple flat tarps, a bivvy bag, two hammocks, and a hammock tarp. I have a white gas stove, innumerable alcohol and Esbit stoves, wood burning stoves, and three canister stoves. I have probably 7-8 cook pots from beer cans up through 1.3 L pots. And on and on. Just have gear purchases shipped to your work address. Then slip them into the house when your wife is out. No worries.

Meriadoc
01-26-2014, 19:59
Just 'cause it's fun:

1 all season backpack
1 summer backpack
1 pannier/backpack
1 small day pack
2 backpacks that I want to give away.

1 2P tent
1 three season tarp
1 four season tarp

2 hammocks (one I don't trust because it has runs in the fabric and should probably cut apart for scrap)

2 CCF pads - one full length one 3/4

1 set of TQ and UQ 20*
1 sleeping bag 0*
1 sleeping bag 20*

1 pair Microspikes
1 pair snowshoes
1 pair crampons

2 canister stoves (pocketrocket and windpro)
1 multifuel stove (TiTri sidewinder)

It used to be worse. I'm still paring it down. I have little redundant gear at this point but I still don't want to keep all of this stuff. I figure I can make do with gear that is not situationally perfect but good enough. I haven't been willing to make that commitment yet :P.

oldwetherman
01-26-2014, 20:04
What a relief to know I'm normal.

Vthiker77
01-26-2014, 21:00

Amen brother

Chair-man
01-26-2014, 21:02

OMG, I thought I was a gear junkie until I read this thread. I'm so glad I found Whiteblaze before I bought most of my gear.

1 tent - ba Copper Spur UL2
1 pack - Granite Gear Crown 60
1 sleeping bag - Marmot Hydrogen 30^ bag - I'm thinking about getting 2 more, a 10^ & a summer bag.
1 Thermorest Neoair pad
1 Exped pillow
1 MSR titanium kettle
1 Marmont Super Mica rain jacket
1 Sea to Summit poncho - should have gotten the silnylon one.
1 Seattle Sombrero rain hat
1 Bear Vault BV500 - thinking about selling it and getting the smaller BV450 - anyone interested in buying it?
1 Montbell UL down vest
2 pair Exifficio bugsaway convertible pants
1 North Face 100 weight fleece jacket - got it at 60% off cuz I'm not really a NF guy:banana

3 pairs of boots-shoes, 1 Merelle Moab Ventilators, 1 Merelle Pro Terras, 1 LaSportiva Wildcats

The only thing I don't have yet that I want is the Montbell UL Down Parka but there always seems to be one more thing and I done.

Slo-go'en
01-26-2014, 21:06

OMG, I thought I was a gear junkie until I read this thread. I'm so glad I found Whiteblaze before I bought most of my gear.

Some of us have been collecting gear for a long time and it does pile up after a while...

jimmyjam
01-26-2014, 21:44
Well it's either that or we're all abnormal.

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2014, 21:45

Amen brother

One lies, and the other swears to it . . . :rolleyes: :D

1 tent - ba Copper Spur UL2
1 pack - Granite Gear Crown 60
1 sleeping bag - Marmot Hydrogen 30^ bag - I'm thinking about getting 2 more, a 10^ & a summer bag.
1 Thermorest Neoair pad
1 Exped pillow
1 MSR titanium kettle
1 Marmont Super Mica rain jacket
1 Sea to Summit poncho - should have gotten the silnylon one.
1 Seattle Sombrero rain hat
1 Bear Vault BV500 - thinking about selling it and getting the smaller BV450 - anyone interested in buying it?
1 Montbell UL down vest
2 pair Exifficio bugsaway convertible pants
1 North Face 100 weight fleece jacket - got it at 60% off cuz I'm not really a NF guy:banana

3 pairs of boots-shoes, 1 Merelle Moab Ventilators, 1 Merelle Pro Terras, 1 LaSportiva Wildcats

The only thing I don't have yet that I want is the Montbell UL Down Parka but there always seems to be one more thing and I done.You only have one of most gear items. There is obviously something seriously wrong with you . . . :rolleyes: :D

HooKooDooKu
01-26-2014, 21:58
I used to have "just enough", with occasional upgrades. But now that my kids are starting to join me, my gear list has exploded:

Tents: 4
Kelty Vortex 2 (my original tent - now retired from the back country)
Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2
Kelty Gunnison 3
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 (for solo use)

Sleeping Bags: 5
Sierra Designs 20º synthetic (my original)
Sierra Designs 0º synthetic
North Face 20º Kids bag
Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 32º x 2
Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 15º

Sleeping Pads: 6
Thermarest 1" x 2
Thermarest LE
Thermarest ProLite x 2
Thermarest Neo Are XLite
Mountain Hardware

Stoves: 5
MSR Shaker Jet
MSR Simmerlite
MSR Pocket Rocket
Snow Peak MaxLite
JetBoil Sol

Cookware: 3 (+ JetBoil)
MSR SS Alpine cook set
MSR Titanian 1.3L pot
MSR Titan Kettle

Back Packs: 5
Kelty Super Tioga
Kelty Trekker
Granet Gear Vaper Lite
REI Flash
REI Kids

Water Filters: 2
MSR Sweetwater pump
Sawyer Mini Filter

Plus untold stuff sacks, rain gear, clothing.

HikerMom58
01-26-2014, 22:11
One lies, and the other swears to it . . . :rolleyes: :D

You only have one of most gear items. There is obviously something seriously wrong with you . . . :rolleyes: :D

Good 4eyedbuzz... always end with a *Big Smile*

I used to have "just enough", with occasional upgrades. But now that my kids are starting to join me, my gear list has exploded:

Tents: 4
Kelty Vortex 2 (my original tent - now retired from the back country)
Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2
Kelty Gunnison 3
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 (for solo use)

Sleeping Bags: 5
Sierra Designs 20º synthetic (my original)
Sierra Designs 0º synthetic
North Face 20º Kids bag
Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 32º x 2
Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 15º

Sleeping Pads: 6
Thermarest 1" x 2
Thermarest LE
Thermarest ProLite x 2
Thermarest Neo Are XLite
Mountain Hardware

Stoves: 5
MSR Shaker Jet
MSR Simmerlite
MSR Pocket Rocket
Snow Peak MaxLite
JetBoil Sol

Cookware: 3 (+ JetBoil)
MSR SS Alpine cook set
MSR Titanian 1.3L pot
MSR Titan Kettle

Back Packs: 5
Kelty Super Tioga
Kelty Trekker
Granet Gear Vaper Lite
REI Flash
REI Kids

Water Filters: 2
MSR Sweetwater pump
Sawyer Mini Filter

Plus untold stuff sacks, rain gear, clothing.

Exploded is right! :eek::D Fun times ahead with the kiddos!

fiddlehead
01-26-2014, 22:19
I have a lot. Don't know the number, don't intend to count.
But in reality, most of it is broken of too heavy anymore, I'm just not good at throwing stuff out.
I do have a lot of stoves and tents, although only 2 of the tents are in working order (one I keep here in Thailand and one, back in the states)
Yeah, I know I should throw that stuff out. But it also has sentimental value I guess.
I think i have 5 sleeping bags and we used all of them this past year as my family came to the states with me.
Bear in mind that in Thailand, the coldest day of the year was around 72 (Phuket anyway).
So, even though I have heat in my PA home and keep it around 70, my wife slept in my -35 degree $800 bag, I sept in my 0 degree $400 bag and my son (8 years old) slept in my 20 deg $300 bag although he usually kicked it off.
Does the blood get thinner when you get older? Or do you just get really used to sleeping in 85 degree nights?

I'd love to do another thru-hike and probably will when my son gets old enough> Will I buy any new equipment for myself?
Probably not.
The essentials are all still good even though nothing is newer than 10 years old.
Maybe I'd get a down coat as I think I'll be ccccooold.

Sarcasm the elf
01-26-2014, 22:28
More than I like to admit to owning...

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/4/6/5/img_0231_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=51259)

Thankfully the woodstove doesn't fit in my pack :D

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2014, 22:41
Oh crap! I just opened my golf closet, and . . . :eek:

Dogwood
01-26-2014, 23:36
I encourage some of yall to donate some of that no longer used gear to those whom it may benefit.

Feral Bill
01-26-2014, 23:58
After going over this in my head for a day or so I'm definitely taking the fifth.

fiddlehead
01-27-2014, 05:06
I encourage some of yall to donate some of that no longer used gear to those whom it may benefit.

Who would want it? A 30 year old Gregory pack that probably weighs around 6 lbs?
A mega-mid tent with a busted zipper?
An old, well used cheap green closed cell sleeping pad that I cut in half and used for 3 thru-hikes?
Some old tyvek that has every spot on it covered in town's names?
Some old broken snow shoes (and one of those plastic snow shovels (not the one with the handle)
Two old GAZ stoves (the one that you have to puncture the cylinder )
A heavy fold-able backgammon game?
A pair of used Salomen leather boots that I won at Trail Daze one year. (only worn a few times, heavy as hell)

The rest I'm keeping.

leaftye
01-27-2014, 06:13

I have so much that I don't even know what I have anymore. There's still a few more things to get: hammock system, UL tunnel tent(s), new 20°F quilt, UL down vest, UL insulated mittens, UL down hat. The gear I have right now is fine though, so those additions will occur slowly over the next few years, and possibly not at all.

aficion
01-27-2014, 06:27

42 .

aficion
01-27-2014, 06:43
If you count the cummerbund that is.

HooKooDooKu
01-27-2014, 14:09

Because I've been in that awkward situation where a friend has returned an expensive piece of equipment in less than perfect condition, I simply now make it a rule that I NEVER loan out stuff I'm going to get upset if it becomes damaged.

Therefore, I usually hold on to most of my old gear and reuse it as loaners. At this point, I can't tell you the number of times I've loaned out my original pair of Thermarest sleeping pads, even though I haven't used one of them myself in over 15 years.

colorado_rob
01-27-2014, 14:19
I won't bore anyone with nitty gritty details, but between my wife and myself we own about 20 packs, 8 sleeping bags, more outdoor clothing than what is in a lot of outdoor stores, climbing gear (ropes, pro, harnesses, slings, etc) out the wazoo, probably 12 pairs each of shoes/boots, you name it, we have it. About 8 tents, including 3 different sizes of mountaineering tents.

The thing is, we use ALL of it, like 4 different sleeping temp ratings of bags each, very specific backpacks for any and all activities (day hikes, short BP's, long BP's, expeditions, canyoneering, climbing), each tent is unique, all the best stuff, all worth the price many times over. This is our life, we get out and do something outside every single chance we get, year 'round.

No apologies whatsoever, when we stop using any piece of gear, it gets given away, usually to my son/daughter.

And we store it all neatly in a dedicated 500 square foot gear room finished in the basement, easily the largest room in our house.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 15:10
I won't bore anyone with nitty gritty details, but between my wife and myself we own about 20 packs, 8 sleeping bags, more outdoor clothing than what is in a lot of outdoor stores, climbing gear (ropes, pro, harnesses, slings, etc) out the wazoo, probably 12 pairs each of shoes/boots, you name it, we have it. About 8 tents, including 3 different sizes of mountaineering tents.

The thing is, we use ALL of it, like 4 different sleeping temp ratings of bags each, very specific backpacks for any and all activities (day hikes, short BP's, long BP's, expeditions, canyoneering, climbing), each tent is unique, all the best stuff, all worth the price many times over. This is our life, we get out and do something outside every single chance we get, year 'round.

No apologies whatsoever, when we stop using any piece of gear, it gets given away, usually to my son/daughter.

And we store it all neatly in a dedicated 500 square foot gear room finished in the basement, easily the largest room in our house.I think you win!

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 15:12
George Carlin had some things to say about stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLachttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac