PDA

View Full Version : Daleville to Harpers Ferry

English Stu
01-26-2014, 14:31
Would starting sometime in May be good to link two sections that I have done. North or south? I will be flying in to DC. Alternatively would Aug Sept be better.
Thanks Stu

Praha4
01-26-2014, 14:52
hey English Stu, I think either time would be great to do that section, but expect some hot weather sometime along either time period. I'm planning a Glasgow, VA to Harpers Ferry (nobo) section hike.....now it looks like I might be starting in early April. I would rather try to be ahead of the main thru hiker bubble if possible. If you are flying into D.C., you could get the daily Amtrak or commuter train that runs from Union Station to Harpers Ferry, and hike sobo to Daleville. Daleville is just a short shuttle ride to Roanoke, VA where there's an airport and Greyhound bus station. Lots of good shuttle drivers along the AT in Virginia, just check one of the guide books.

HikerMom58
01-26-2014, 15:02
hey English Stu, I think either time would be great to do that section, but expect some hot weather sometime along either time period. I'm planning a Glasgow, VA to Harpers Ferry (nobo) section hike.....now it looks like I might be starting in early April. I would rather try to be ahead of the main thru hiker bubble if possible. If you are flying into D.C., you could get the daily Amtrak or commuter train that runs from Union Station to Harpers Ferry, and hike sobo to Daleville. Daleville is just a short shuttle ride to Roanoke, VA where there's an airport and Greyhound bus station. Lots of good shuttle drivers along the AT in Virginia, just check one of the guide books.

Hey English Stu... everything Praha4 said tis true! :)

Deer Hunter
01-26-2014, 15:18
The water may be better with a May start If we have a normal summer this year.

tiptoe
01-26-2014, 16:30
Also, from Roanoke, you can take a shuttle bus that connects with Amtrak from Lynchville, to take you back to Washington, DC. You have to reserve a spot online, then be at the appointed location and pay there. It costs $4. Here's a link to the online reservation page: http://www.valleymetro.com/amtrak

HikerMom58
01-26-2014, 16:47
Also, from Roanoke, you can take a shuttle bus that connects with Amtrak from Lynchburg, to take you back to Washington, DC. You have to reserve a spot online, then be at the appointed location and pay there. It costs $4. Here's a link to the online reservation page: http://www.valleymetro.com/amtrak

Hey tiptoe... I fixed it for you... that would be Lynchburg. Yes, it' a great deal! :)

tiptoe
01-26-2014, 17:01
Thanks, HikerMom.

johnnybgood
01-26-2014, 17:10
I'll mention this also if you hike nobo from Daleville to Harper's Ferry . You can take either the Maryland Commuter train (MARC) or Amtrak's Capital Limited back to D.C. Just a reminder though, unless schedules have changed recently, all trains to D.C. leave Harper's Ferry in the morning and the MARC train only runs Monday- Friday.

English Stu
01-29-2014, 15:37
Thanks for the information, so no great issue either direction i,e bugs, mud etc. No great reason but I think I will go to Daleville and hike north. I went there previously and hiked to Springer.I am a retired arborist/horticulturalist and think the Shanandoahs will be good in May.

HikerMom58
01-29-2014, 16:55
Okay, I think that will work out well. If you need help with a shuttle getting to the trail, I can help you out. :) Just let me know.

Deer Hunter
01-29-2014, 21:59
Stu, Buena Vista is a resupply stop for lots of hikers after they leave Daleville. If you would like my number in case you need to resupply or just in case of emergency, PM me and I would be glad to give it to you.

Praha4
01-29-2014, 22:13
If I end up driving up in April for a Glasgow - Harpers Ferry section hike ... any suggestions for best place to park a vehicle for that time period? Glasgow? Daleville or Waynesboro area? I have parked at the Daleville Howard Johnsons before, but was hoping to park closer to Glasgow or Wanynesboro.....tia

Deer Hunter
01-29-2014, 22:25
It's safe to park at the footbridge on 501. I haven't heard of anyone having problems there yet. The parking lot is right off of the road and almost always other cars there. Lots of traffic.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=8352+Virginia+130&sll=37.557076,-79.312786&sspn=0.384844,0.604935&g=6352+Virginia+130&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=8352+Virginia+130,+Big+Island,+Amherst,+Virg inia+24526&ll=37.59693,-79.39115&spn=0.001356,0.004726&t=h&z=18&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=37.596929,-79.391149&panoid=ifI_dDLl4RYleTAND4OFZg&cbp=11,344.08,,0,5

English Stu
01-30-2014, 16:13
Deer Hunter and Hiker Mom thanks for the offers when I have firmed up my arrangements I will get in touch.

My previous start at Daleville was very eventful. I needed to buy a stove when I got to DC.Waiting for a Greyhound to take me to Roanoke I had time to acquaint myself with the MSR Simmerlite only find out the pump was missing; so my first task was to go to the shopping mall to get a pump, I forget the Mall name offhand near Roanoke. It was a Sunday and knowing nothing about local transport I walked to the Mall. I got a pump and I did get a shuttle from there to the trail.I saw my first bear within three hours and never saw another.

It was just about dark when I got to the shelter which was full and and it was muddy thereabouts. I found some water and made a brew(headlamp never thought of those then)The guys at the shelter suggested I sleep on the picnic bench a bit away from the shelter which was OK till I was awoken by the rain. Fortunately I could put my tarp in the dark.The next morning I could see my water source/puddle was muddy and had frogs in it. Hurricane Ivan struck about three days later for even more water. Ah happy days. I now have a headlamp and use an alky stove.

HikerMom58
01-30-2014, 16:33
Deer Hunter and Hiker Mom thanks for the offers when I have firmed up my arrangements I will get in touch.

My previous start at Daleville was very eventful. I needed to buy a stove when I got to DC.Waiting for a Greyhound to take me to Roanoke I had time to acquaint myself with the MSR Simmerlite only find out the pump was missing; so my first task was to go to the shopping mall to get a pump, I forget the Mall name offhand near Roanoke. It was a Sunday and knowing nothing about local transport I walked to the Mall. I got a pump and I did get a shuttle from there to the trail.I saw my first bear within three hours and never saw another.

It was just about dark when I got to the shelter which was full and and it was muddy thereabouts. I found some water and made a brew(headlamp never thought of those then)The guys at the shelter suggested I sleep on the picnic bench a bit away from the shelter which was OK till I was awoken by the rain. Fortunately I could put my tarp in the dark.The next morning I could see my water source/puddle was muddy and had frogs in it. Hurricane Ivan struck about three days later for even more water. Ah happy days. I now have a headlamp and use an alky stove.

Wow, interesting story about your last trip to Roanoke and trail experience out of Daleville! :) The mall may have been Towers Mall or Tanglewood Mall. I doubt it was Valleyview Mall, if you walked there. :P I've never seen a bear on the trail around here. I know others do see them. That's cool you saw one! :)

Yes, when you get your plans firmed up, let us know, we will help you out any way we can.

Yup, martinb... it's called Outdoor Trails.

martinb
01-30-2014, 16:33
Just a heads up, there's a hiker store right next to the Kroger about a 100 meters (see I'm using metric) down 220 from the AT, in Daleville. I think it's called Outdoor Trails, or such.

Deer Hunter
01-30-2014, 18:18

Hopefully everything will fall into place and work out better for you on this hike.

aficion
01-30-2014, 18:27
The wildflowers in May are magnificent through this area. As DH said water is more reliable then too. Temps should be more temperate as well. Glad to help too if you need rides or whatever. This is a great time of year to do this section. Amtrak will be serving Roanoke sometime soon. Not sure when.