PDA

View Full Version : airports and train stations

goody5534
01-26-2014, 18:09
whats the best/closest airport/train station that services deep gap, nc and which for fontana dam, nc? I wanna do that section nobo or sobo depending on the easiest transportation.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-26-2014, 18:25
We're headed that way.....you might not need the train.

coach lou
01-26-2014, 20:35
whats the best/closest airport/train station that services deep gap, nc and which for fontana dam, nc? I wanna do that section nobo or sobo depending on the easiest transportation.

We're headed that way.....you might not need the train.

When is this journey?

Teacher & Snacktime
01-26-2014, 20:50
The week BEFORE we're heading down, unfortunately.....Goody & Snacktime and I just can't seem to coordinate!

goody5534
01-29-2014, 20:29
I guess WBzers don't have an answer for me on this one... I'm stunned by the silence..

Slo-go'en
01-29-2014, 21:10
You can't get there from here. When I want to go to the Smokies, its a bus ride to Knoxville, TN, then a $100 taxi ride to Gatlinburg. Probably about the same to go from Knoxville to Fontana village. Ashville, NC might have a regional airport and I know you get there by bus, but don't know how you'd get the rest of the way except for another $100 taxi ride.

Praha4
01-29-2014, 21:16
from what I recall, the closest city of any size to Fontana Dam is Bryson City, NC. .....as far as airports and bus stations, I would guess Knoxville, TN is closest. Google maps shows Knoxville, TN is approx. 65 miles from Fontana Village. Don't know about Amtrak train service in that area.

misterfloyd
01-31-2014, 05:34
Based on that you are coming from Conn. Your nearest airports (hubs) to Fontana Dam are, Charlotte, NC, Greenville Spartenburg, SC, and Atlanta. Smaller regional airports closer to Fontana are Asheville and knoxville. Franklin NC may have one, not very sure. You may be able to catch a bus at least from any of these and get to Gatlinburg, Tenn, which is a few days up from Fontana Dam. Bryson City is the closest to Fontana. You may also want to consider a very ambitious shuttle service..... if they would not be able to do it they might know of someone who will, they are from the area they may know.

FYI, when I was at Fontana Damn and village last summer there was no cell service from the area, (AT$T) and in the village I could not find a pay phone. I still had a calling card and asked to use the landline from general store. Fontana village is very limited pickings.....

There has to be a bus or something to Gatlinburg. That area is a major tourist trap. I'm hoping to avoid it this summer!!

Floyd

chiefiepoo
01-31-2014, 07:16
Here is slink to Swain County, NC Transit.

http://www.swaintransit.com/index.html

They show fares for service between Bryson City and Asheville Airport, Cherokee, and Franklin. Franklin is the closest to Deep Gap. Not sure when you plan to travel but the road up to Deep Gap may not be open and Winding Stair gap on US 64 or Standing Indian CG might be an alternative in / out point. But the fare schedule is from 2012 and they may not be still in service. Give them a call.

Slo-go'en
01-31-2014, 12:30
There has to be a bus or something to Gatlinburg. That area is a major tourist trap. I'm hoping to avoid it this summer!!

Nope, not that I have found. There is a local trolly bus system which will get you as far as Dollyworld, but that's it. No direct connection to any place with a bus station which will get you any distance.

RED-DOG
01-31-2014, 12:35
Sorry bro their's no bus or trail that serves that area, the closest bus station to Fontana is Ashville NC, it's either take a taxi or hook up with a shuttler.

goody5534
01-31-2014, 23:08
Thanks everyone, I think Im gonna fly into(4/11) and out(4/20)of Asheville Regional. From there I'm gonna try and get a shuttle to a hostel/motel near Gatlinburg and a shuttle saturday (4/12) to Newfound Gap and hike 10-12 miles per day southbound to Nantahala by 4/19 and take a shuttle back to asheville on the 4/20. Does this sound doable?