PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable Pads - inflation tricks?

LAF
01-26-2014, 20:54
What tricks do people have for filling inflatable sleeping pads that doesn't involve blowing (be nice) or using a gimmick like the pump thermrest promotes/sells along with its neoair?

Teacher & Snacktime
01-26-2014, 20:57
the neoair takes thirty slow, full exhalations. I filled it in about 2-3 minutes without getting lightheaded. It seemed a pump would have been redundant.

Mobius
01-26-2014, 21:00
What tricks do people have for filling inflatable sleeping pads that doesn't involve blowing (be nice) or using a gimmick like the pump thermrest promotes/sells along with its neoair?

I haven't had any real problems using gimmicky inflation bag that came with my thermarest. 6-7 bag fulls and one good breath and I'm done.

MuddyWaters
01-26-2014, 21:07
18 breaths, 50 sec and my regular xlite is inflated.

Slo-go'en
01-26-2014, 21:08
I am just SO glad I quit smoking. Inflating a pad isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. Before that I could only use a CCF or self inflating pad...

jeffmeh
01-26-2014, 21:11
If I were to get a pump, it would be to reduce moisture, not because it is that difficult to blow up my Exped Synmat UL7.

hikerboy57
01-26-2014, 21:13
you can take out your compactor bag pack lliner fill it full of aircinch the open end over the nozzle of the inflatable pad, and squeeze it like a bellows under your arm forcing the air into the mattress.admittedly, ive never tried it, i just blow a lot of hot air directly into the mattress, as it has the added benefit of giving my camp neighbors a break from said hot air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzBb5oBBd3E

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2014, 21:17
It can be inflated with a large stuff sack (dry bag works well) or garbage bag by putting the valve in the end of the stuff sack, sealing off by gathering with your thumb and first finger, then squeezing the air out of the stuff bag and into the mattress. Requires 20 or so repetitions with a 7 x 16 dry bag to get to the point where you will still have to blow in it to achieve final inflation, as air will start leaking out when you stop squeezing the stuff bag. Thermarest made a stuff bag with an attachment at one time, don't know if they still do, can't say I'd be interested in such a gadget. Just seems like another nice but not needed item.

nastynate
01-26-2014, 21:18
I use the trash compactor bag method. It works beautifully. 2 bag fills and its done. Nothing extra to carry and very little moisture into the pad. I have an instaflator too, but I only take it car camping now.

CarlZ993
01-26-2014, 21:19
I use the Thermarest pump sack to help inflate my NeoAir Xlite. http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/accessories/neoair-pump-sack/product

Works fast & doesn't add moisture inside my pad. The sack can be used as a pack liner of sorts (there is that pesky inflation port in the bottom).

Odd Man Out
01-26-2014, 21:20
I've not used one, but the Instaflator has been mentioned before. same idea as the video above.

http://www.themillair.com/

Sarcasm the elf
01-26-2014, 21:29
you can take out your compactor bag pack lliner fill it full of aircinch the open end over the nozzle of the inflatable pad, and squeeze it like a bellows under your arm forcing the air into the mattress.admittedly, ive never tried it, i just blow a lot of hot air directly into the mattress, as it has the added benefit of giving my camp neighbors a break from said hot air.

Well look at that, I just learned something.

Do you have the link to the original video? I want to share that with a couple people.

hikerboy57
01-26-2014, 21:31

Do you have the link to the original video? I want to share that with a couple people.just click on the youtube logo.
forget it, here it is:

Sarcasm the elf
01-26-2014, 21:35
just click on the youtube logo.
forget it, here it is:

Thank HB, I use one of those blasted tablet devices and the YouTube logo link doesn't ever seem to work.

Rocket Jones
01-27-2014, 07:23

+1 Pure genius.

daddytwosticks
01-27-2014, 08:14
One of the many reasons I ditched my Neoair. I let my TR Prolite self-inflate, then it only takes a few puffs to firm her up. :)

Starchild
01-27-2014, 08:42
I've seen a lightweight battery pump, maybe what the OP is talking about, that worked very well in the store, might consider that for a backpack once I find out the weight, but not for a thru.

For car camping and the BA Aircore I used the Instantflator and am happy with that for that purpose.

For my thru I used my mouth with the Neoair which IIRC was about 20-25 breaths and didn't seem burdensome.

LAF
01-27-2014, 09:04

simple and effective :) thank you, pretty much exactly what I was looking for (wish I'd thought it up myself now ;) )

guess I didn't list my actual concern, which was the moisture from my breath going into the bag, my lungs actually function (sometimes too well depending on who you ask). And not looking to carry anything extra for the purpose, need to save some space for luxury items. so simple genius :)

So I guess the next question is (which may have been answered in a way): is moisture from breath a concern with these inflatables?

hikerboy57
01-27-2014, 09:29
simple and effective :) thank you, pretty much exactly what I was looking for (wish I'd thought it up myself now ;) )

guess I didn't list my actual concern, which was the moisture from my breath going into the bag, my lungs actually function (sometimes too well depending on who you ask). And not looking to carry anything extra for the purpose, need to save some space for luxury items. so simple genius :)

So I guess the next question is (which may have been answered in a way): is moisture from breath a concern with these inflatables?
nothing wrong with my neoair after hundreds of miles and months of use, but i guess it can become "A BREEDING GROUND FOR BACTERIA AND GERMS!!!!"
so if you are going to blow into the mat, make sure you floss first! :)

Nooga
01-27-2014, 10:35

I think this is a valid question. Before my thru hike, I asked around if moisture in my Neoair Xlite would be an issue and was told that since there is no insulation, such as down or foam, that the moisture was not a problem. So on my hike, I just used my lungs, no issue. However, since then I have heard that some have experienced problems with their Neoair Xlites that could be related to moisture.

I just purchased a Neoair Xtherm and it came with a stuff sack that is also an inflation sack. I have only blown it up once using the inflation sack and it worked fine.

QiWiz
01-27-2014, 14:12
If I were to get a pump, it would be to reduce moisture, not because it is that difficult to blow up

+1
Over a few nights and longer, moisture from breath will condense, adding weight (and even possibly reducing insulation value). I got a Big Agnes Pump Sack that I now use to inflate my NeoAirs year round. Weighs 1.6 oz, but also serves as a pillow sack. I've seen folks with black mold growing inside their pads. Not for me. Just sayin'.

Starchild
01-27-2014, 15:14
+1
Over a few nights and longer, moisture from breath will condense, adding weight (and even possibly reducing insulation value). I got a Big Agnes Pump Sack that I now use to inflate my NeoAirs year round. Weighs 1.6 oz, but also serves as a pillow sack. I've seen folks with black mold growing inside their pads. Not for me. Just sayin'.

There would need to be a heck of a lot of moisture in that NeoAir to offset the weight of your 1.6 oz pump.

Just Sayin'

scope
01-27-2014, 15:21
I've not used one, but the Instaflator has been mentioned before. same idea as the video above.

This is what I use with my downmat.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 15:26
I just use this...dual purpose...

also gets rid of the wiedro guy that's been followin you since Springer. Blast off about 30 times during the night...he'll be gone before you get up.

4eyedbuzzard
01-27-2014, 15:29
I just use this...dual purpose...

also gets rid of the wiedro guy that's been followin you since Springer. Blast off about 30 times during the night...he'll be gone before you get up.Guys with whoopie cushions are usually "creepy hikers".
I suppose you're now going to say it's a water bladder.
A Flattypus perhaps?

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 16:16
Guys with whoopie cushions are usually "creepy hikers".
I suppose you're now going to say it's a water bladder.
A Flattypus perhaps?Nope...it's a Douche/Bidet

...did I say double...I meant triple purpose.:D and yeah, I'm a freak.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 16:20

Do you have the link to the original video? I want to share that with a couple people.
Now ...puttin this puppy back on track.....that's a slick video...must give it a try.

Deadeye
01-27-2014, 16:31
If I were to get a pump, it would be to reduce moisture, not because it is that difficult to blow up my Exped Synmat UL7.

... or my Big Agnes (pad, that is!)

squeezebox
01-27-2014, 17:52
I thought the Neoair xtherm inflatasack was clumbsy .tried 3-4 times gave up and used my lungs. Blew up nicely on several non-forceful breaths.

squeezebox
01-27-2014, 17:59
I thought the Neoair xtherm inflatasack was clumbsy .tried 3-4 times gave up and used my lungs. Blew up nicely on several non-forceful breaths.

Drybones
01-27-2014, 19:20

Exped makes a "Schnozzle" dry bag with a fitting that attaches to your pad to inflate it, takes 1.5-2 bags to fill the pad....about 20 seconds, no blowing, weighs about 2 oz.

Just Bill
01-27-2014, 20:02
Not sure if this has been covered, but the standard UL "two uses in one" "no wasted energy" and "maximum efficiency" tenants have been applied to this problem in the following way;

1-Place dehydrated beans into a Zip-loc twist lock container to rehydrate for 1 hour to reduce cooking time and fuel use.
2-Heat the beans just long enough to fully rehydrate.
3-While the stove heats the food, set up your shelter, treat your water, wash your shorts and socks, and do at least 10 other things.
4-Since you only have one pair of shorts you should now be naked; sit down on a log with your rectum hanging 2.5" off the back of the log and eat your beans.
5-Put the self inflating pad nozzle in your rectum so that as soon as your body processes the beans they can instantly be converted into pad inflation.
6-While the pad inflates clean your feet, trim your nails, treat any blisters, and make sure your shoes are good. Heat some water for washing while you wait.
7-Once the beans are fully processed and the pad is inflated, use one drop of peppermint Dr. Bronners to clean the nozzle, and two drops to wash up.
8-In the morning, save stove fuel by using the trapped Methane in your sleeping pad to make a cup of coffee so you can hit the trail early. (Simply wrap a coleman lantern mantel over the nozzle for use as a burner head)

Best of luck!

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 20:06
ha ha ha eeeeh...that's funny.25716

hikerboy57
01-27-2014, 20:16
Not sure if this has been covered, but the standard UL "two uses in one" "no wasted energy" and "maximum efficiency" tenants have been applied to this problem in the following way;

1-Place dehydrated beans into a Zip-loc twist lock container to rehydrate for 1 hour to reduce cooking time and fuel use.
2-Heat the beans just long enough to fully rehydrate.
3-While the stove heats the food, set up your shelter, treat your water, wash your shorts and socks, and do at least 10 other things.
4-Since you only have one pair of shorts you should now be naked; sit down on a log with your rectum hanging 2.5" off the back of the log and eat your beans.
5-Put the self inflating pad nozzle in your rectum so that as soon as your body processes the beans they can instantly be converted into pad inflation.
6-While the pad inflates clean your feet, trim your nails, treat any blisters, and make sure your shoes are good. Heat some water for washing while you wait.
7-Once the beans are fully processed and the pad is inflated, use one drop of peppermint Dr. Bronners to clean the nozzle, and two drops to wash up.
8-In the morning, save stove fuel by using the trapped Methane in your sleeping pad to make a cup of coffee so you can hit the trail early. (Simply wrap a coleman lantern mantel over the nozzle for use as a burner head)

Best of luck!as much as youve said youve been too busy lately due to work, still, it would seem you have too much time on your hands

Just Bill
01-27-2014, 20:19
This is primarily a hand's free method.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 20:28
This is primarily a hand's free method.
I need to get me an audible sight free reading tool program to keep up with you and Dogwood...keep em coming.

Sarcasm the elf
01-27-2014, 20:29
No offense Just Bill, but I'm going to keep that post in mind if you ever start a thread in the selling used gear forum. :eek:

George
01-28-2014, 02:51
I usually just let the sherpa set up the tent, inflate the pad, fluff the sleeping bag, make a pot of tea, and leave a mint on the pillow, I have no idea why this system is not good enough for the rest of you-all

rocketsocks
01-28-2014, 03:36
I usually just let the sherpa set up the tent, inflate the pad, fluff the sleeping bag, make a pot of tea, and leave a mint on the pillow, I have no idea why this system is not good enough for the rest of you-all
What, no foot massage?:D

leaftye
01-28-2014, 04:22

I've known about this for years, but finally got one. I'll use it on my next trip.

George
01-28-2014, 04:52
What, no foot massage?:D

would not think of having the sherpa do the job of the massuese - tsk, tsk

Drybones
01-28-2014, 09:28
There would need to be a heck of a lot of moisture in that NeoAir to offset the weight of your 1.6 oz pump.

Just Sayin'

It's the stuff that grows in that little bit of moisture that's the issue.

Drybones
01-28-2014, 09:35
Exped makes a "Schnozzle" dry bag with a fitting that attaches to your pad to inflate it, takes 1.5-2 bags to fill the pad....about 20 seconds, no blowing, weighs about 2 oz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INHVFeS3uw0

This is what I use.

HooKooDooKu
01-28-2014, 09:40
nothing wrong with my neoair after hundreds of miles and months of use, but i guess it can become "A BREEDING GROUND FOR BACTERIA AND GERMS!!!!"
so if you are going to blow into the mat, make sure you floss first! :)

I think this is a valid question. Before my thru hike, I asked around if moisture in my Neoair Xlite would be an issue and was told that since there is no insulation, such as down or foam, that the moisture was not a problem. So on my hike, I just used my lungs, no issue. However, since then I have heard that some have experienced problems with their Neoair Xlites that could be related to moisture.

After using my breath to inflate my NeoAir Xlite on several weekend hikes, I saw what thru the semi-opaque pad looked like mold growing on the reflective material. I then switched to the "inflate with a bag" method and made sure to do everything I could to dry out any moisture inside the pad once I got home. But the mold situation only seemed to be getting worst. So I tried rinsing the inside of the pad with a weak clorox solution... When pieces of silver flake came out of the pad with the clorox solution, I finally realized that it wasn't mold I had been seeing inside the bag but a delamination of the reflective material. Given how much the "rinse" quickly intensified the problem, I've always assumed the moisture from my breath during those initial months is what started it (perhaps I just had a defective reflective coating).

Alligator
01-28-2014, 12:18
I don't know if it helps, but I leave the pads stored flat with the valves open. Depending on the humidity in the stored location' this may help to release any moisture from blowing the pad up. The exception has been my NeoAir, but I think I will start to store it similar to my other ones.

Colter
01-28-2014, 13:32
My trick is not to hyperventilate while inflating a pad. I just lie down, get comfortable, and exhale into the pad. It's as easy as breathing. Only the last puff needs to be "pressurized."

I've never had any noticeable issue with moisture inside the pad.

Foresight
01-28-2014, 14:23
One of the many reasons I ditched my Neoair. I let my TR Prolite self-inflate, then it only takes a few puffs to firm her up. :)

Yup.......