PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing Enlightened Equipment quilt

dreamweaver21
01-26-2014, 23:41
So I am gathering gear for my first ever hike on the AT (month of April starting at Springer) and I have my pack (Osprey Atmos 65) and I have my tent (Eureka Spitfire) and the next big thing is the bag. I want a quilt because I don't like proper bags. The Enlightened Equipment people seem to get good reviews so I will likely order one from them. Problem is, I don't know anything about them and they all look the same to me on the web. Any pointers on this. I am thinking a 20 degree bag because I get cold easy but I don't know a Enigma from a Revelation They all jus look like bags to me.

MuddyWaters
01-26-2014, 23:53
In a nutshell now, the enigma has a different style sewn footbox, the revelation has a zipper and drawcord footbox, and the option for cheaper 750 duck fill.

The enigma is about 3.5 oz lighter because of this. Less material, no zipper, no drawcord around the feet.

However, I can assure you that the footbox you can open up, is far more versatile and comfortable in warmer conditions above the quilt rating. It seems to add at least about 10-15F to the max comfortable temp to me based on a quilt being closed up. So the enigma weighs less, but you DO give up something very useful most of the time for that. Ie if you can sleep to 35 F comfortably with a 20F quilt without sweating, opening that footbox up may let you sleep comfortably up to about 45-50F. How many nights are spent at the limit of your quilt? Very few hopefully.

Tuckahoe
01-27-2014, 00:04
The differnce between the Enigma and the Revelation appears to be that the Enigma is constructed in a manner that it uses less down while maintaining loft, therefore giving you a lighter weight quilt.

For example if you compared the 750 duck down 20º regular/regular quilts, you would see that the Enigma weighed 19 ounces while the Revelation weighed 22 1/4 ounces, with a $5 difference between the prices. It seems that Tim Marshall at EE is quick to respond to emails, so you should take advantage of the websites conact page and talk to him directly.

I am intending to get a 30º quilt myself.

Odd Man Out
01-27-2014, 00:24
I had the exact same question a few weeks ago and e-mail Tim for the answer. With the new models this year, the only difference is the footbox style. The sewn footbox on the Enigma makes it lighter. Both now have the same baffles and same fabric and down options. There are now listing three options for fill. The 850DT waterproof down, 800 and 750. Both offer the head and foot weather protection option.

Gwilli
01-27-2014, 01:32
+1 for contacting Tim Marshall! I had a question concerning my style of sleep (kind of a thrasher) and what quilt width I should get. I emailed Tim and he got right back to me. Great customer service!

leaftye
01-27-2014, 04:30
I'm also a big fan of a footbox that opens. I won't buy another quilt with a sewn footbox.

LAF
01-27-2014, 05:58
+1 +1 = +2? for contacting Tim. His responsiveness to some questions I had about quilts, including some difficult ones since I was asking him some specifics in doing a H2H comparison against some of his competition, took me off the fence and I just ordered a quilt from him a few days ago.

Rocket Jones
01-27-2014, 07:08
I'm also a big fan of a footbox that opens. I won't buy another quilt with a sewn footbox.

Exactly. If I weren't afraid of screwing up my home sewn Ray-Way quilt, I'd open up the footbox on that one too. Much more versatile.

Odd Man Out
01-27-2014, 16:28
Exactly. If I weren't afraid of screwing up my home sewn Ray-Way quilt, I'd open up the footbox on that one too. Much more versatile.

I too will order soon. Looks like I will get the open footbox as per everyone's recommendations. Will probably get a long so I can pull over my head if I want (I'm 6'0"). Can't decide if I need a wide or regular. I'm in a tent (not hammock), inflatable pad, 200 lb +/- Gotten mixed opinions on that question. Everyone asks if I'm a side sleeper. Problem is I'm not sure since I'm asleep when I'm sleeping. I think it depends on which muscles hurt the most.

nastynate
01-27-2014, 17:57
Can't decide if I need a wide or regular.

I'm 5'8", 160 lbs. Pretty lean. I wouldn't want anything less than my regular width. I'd say at 6' 200 lbs the wide is a no brainer choice.

johnnybgood
01-27-2014, 18:03
I would like to order one and wonder if getting the hyropobic treated foot box and head end is worth the extra $$ ?

Odd Man Out
01-27-2014, 23:17
I'm 5'8", 160 lbs. Pretty lean. I wouldn't want anything less than my regular width. I'd say at 6' 200 lbs the wide is a no brainer choice.

Thanks for the input.

Rocket Jones
01-28-2014, 07:08
I thought I had made my Ray-Way quilt too wide when I originally cut it, but my EE "wide" is the exact same size. I'm a big guy and a side sleeper and the width is perfect.