PDA

View Full Version : Missing Hiker

skinnbones
01-27-2014, 11:51
I remember when the story of 66 year old Geraldine Largay, who went missing in Maine on July 23rd broke. I know the search was called off, but always wondered what happen to her. Sorry if this post upsets anybody, her name was on my mind today.

slbirdnerd
01-27-2014, 12:07
I still think about her too, skinnbones. So very sad. I didn't know her and guessing you didn't either, just this community of people who care, you know? I hope she didn't suffer. I'm sorry for her family for their loss and to not have any closure.

tiptoe
01-27-2014, 12:12
We all still think about her. Very mysterious, and very sad.

HikerMom58
01-27-2014, 13:25
Yes, we all feel very bad about this! :( We won't ever forget about her!

4eyedbuzzard
01-27-2014, 13:38
Without a trace, after a pretty extensive search. Especially puzzling as she was an experienced hiker/outdoors person and her general location and direction were known.

skinnbones
01-27-2014, 13:49
I know buzzard. She did everything right with her planning. Her husband always knew what general area she was hiking. Maybe one day there will be answers.

Rain Man
01-27-2014, 21:05
This lady lived just a few miles from me and was hiking my next section in Maine (coming up in August), so I too think of her regularly. I did read a book recently ("The Last Season") about a super-experienced ranger who went missing. Helped me understand that these things happen without fault ... and likely to be solved some day. Gave me a little peace of mind, for what it's worth.

A month or two ago, a Florida man was discovered in a Tennessee State Park. His remains, that is. Missing for seven years, but his family has some resolution now.

Rain Man

skinnbones
01-28-2014, 01:14
I also read the book "The last season". I understand what your saying.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2014, 02:13
It's just so hard to find an injured, unconscious, or deceased person in the woods and especially in more remote areas. You could literally walk right next to them and just not see or know they were there. There was a Learjet on approach to Lebanon airport that crashed only 10 miles away near Smarts Mountain in NH back in the late 90's that left a trail of wreckage 100's of feet long, but wasn't found for three years.

Siarl
01-28-2014, 02:21
More than likely will not be able to forget her and I didn't know her. I will be thinking about her on the trail and be on the lookout for her when I near the location of the trail where she likely disappeared on. I know that I can't do anything more than what has already been done but it's just human nature I think to be aware of it.

rocketsocks
01-28-2014, 04:02
Her face is etched in my minds eye forever, really a strange and sad story, she won't be forgotten.

moldy
01-28-2014, 08:11
In the North woods they have a way of finding the remains of lost hunters in the early Spring like April and May by observing the flights of ravens and crows. As the snow melts and the forest floor becomes exposed it draws the attention of the birds. By finding a high place to observe the circling crows it's sometimes possible to locate remains.

ladydi
02-03-2014, 15:16
Haven't checked here about Inchworm for a while. But I haven't forgotten her either. Sorry that there is nothing new reported. Thanks for the thread, anyway.

Tennessee Viking
02-03-2014, 15:45
I just watched a documentary about her and the search process not long ago.

saltysack
02-13-2014, 12:11
I just watched last night..unfortunately my wife saw it also! I prefer to hike alone. She said I must get a spot tracker. Can't they track your iphone even with no signal ? Does the find my iphone app work w out cell signal during airplane mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
02-13-2014, 12:59
Can't they track your iphone even with no signal ? Does the find my iphone app work w out cell signal during airplane mode?

The NSA or CIA might be able to find your phone from space or a drown, but normally, no. You need to be in range of a cell tower and those are few and far between in the remote areas of Maine. If your phone is in airplane mode, the phone part is off so the cell network does not know where you are until you turn it back on and are in range of a cell tower.

Wolf - 23000
02-13-2014, 13:14
It is a very sad story. At the Northern Ruck there was a few of us seasonal hikers going up and search the area again for her. It would not be until the Spring. At the very least to help try to give the family some closure.

It has been a few years sense I've been up there but can anyone tell me if they might be a ski trail or maybe an old trail. It would just help when searching the area if we could figure out where she might have gotten off.

Wolf

4eyedbuzzard
02-13-2014, 14:05
False trails are certainly not uncommon on the AT or anywhere else - I've gotten off track following what seemed like the trail only to have to backtrack and find some blazes, but usually if I go a hundred yards or so without seeing a blaze I start to wonder. I think I've followed abandoned trails and roads, natural water runoffs, dry creeks, game trails, etc. at least once or twice each in error and have even had other hikers follow me up the wrong trail.

I don't know that area well, but I read in another article http://statement-analysis.blogspot.com/2013/08/statement-analysis-husband-of-missing.html a comment at the bottom from a poster "Jeff" who talks about false trails in that section.

AtomicLlama
02-15-2014, 13:30
Somewhat off topic, but this story (http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/) about searching for some tourists who had been missing in Death Valley for 13 year gives some insight into how hard it can be to find a missing person. And it's a really fascinating read.

The Old Boot
02-15-2014, 15:27
Somewhat off topic, but this story (http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/) about searching for some tourists who had been missing in Death Valley for 13 year gives some insight into how hard it can be to find a missing person. And it's a really fascinating read.

It certainly is a fascinating read!!

hoppy from GA
02-15-2014, 17:43
I've missed a switchback or two on the AT. The giveaway was the trail got rougher and I quit seeing the white blazes, which are the most helpful part. Also, once you hike a while, your "sixth sense" kinda kicks in. A mandatory map and compass helps, too. At least in GA, the AT is well worn like a hiking superhighway and most approach trails are blue blazed.

Damn Yankee
02-16-2014, 07:29
November 2012-Robert Fitzgerald, the 60-year-old returned to the Confederate Breastworks Trail on Shenandoah Mountain last Monday to find a cell phone he dropped during a hike and has not been seen since. Apparently, the day before he went hiking with a friend at the Confederate Breastworks Trail on Shenandoah Mountain and dropped his cell phone and went back to find it. Prior to him looking for his phone, a woman who was hiking the same trail found the phone a placed it in her pack. She then forgot about it until the next day. Robert hasn't been seen since although, they did find his shirt. He was a runner, experienced hiker and worked out daily. He still hasn't been found as of today. It amazes me that he hasn't turned up.

ladydi
03-26-2014, 14:26
Just thought to check in again to see if there was any news about Inchworm. :( I did happen to see the "Lost and Found" episode on a TV show. I forget which one, but the replay was posted on the Women Hiker's List at the time.

Adriana
04-26-2014, 05:33
I recall reading that they are planning another search for her in May.

Adriana
04-26-2014, 05:42
As proposed at the 2013 Gathering, ALDHA is forming a Search and Rescue Team to aid, assist and support the local agencies looking for missing or lost hikers on the Appalachian Trail.

For some background information please refer to the article in the winter edition of ALDHA's Long Distance Hiker by Bill O'Brien concerning Geraldine Largay. It is very important that those who do volunteer to join this mission understand that they will be required to be in shape, and take some necessary courses in order to help. We will be spending a few days on top of the mountain looking for her and you will be required to bring your hiking, camping and team equipment to the area.

The plan is to meet up on Wednesday May 28, 2014 and hike up the mountain and spend 3 or 4 days up there searching. If you would like to participate please call Mike Wingeart at 443-791-9196

TheYoungOne
05-22-2014, 16:30
Just thought to check in again to see if there was any news about Inchworm. :( I did happen to see the "Lost and Found" episode on a TV show. I forget which one, but the replay was posted on the Women Hiker's List at the time.

If anyone is interested , the show was called "North Woods Law" which is on Animal Planet and is a reality show that follows Maine's Game Wardens. The episode is called "Lost and Found", and was very interesting. I hate to say it but the end of the show when they were checking along those rocky ravines near Spaulding mountain, I bet she took a bad tumble along something like, and that and hopefully her body will eventually be found.

Chubbs4U
05-22-2014, 20:38
I think of this story a lot and I keep referring back to the story in "The Last Season", shes out there just waiting to be found.

TOW
05-23-2014, 08:12
Sure hope something is found of her this year

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2