PDA

View Full Version : Wind proof briefs

Coffee
01-27-2014, 15:34
So this question isn't necessarily about hiking although I suppose very cold weather hikers could face the same problem. My issue is related to running in cold weather. I have a decent set of cold weather running clothes (running tights, synthetic top, running jacket), mostly purchased from REI, and I use Ex Officio briefs (the same ones I use for hiking) to avoid chafing on long runs. In temperatures of 30+ without any wind chills, this is fine. However, in the 20s or at higher temperatures with wind chills, lets just say that there's a significant amount of discomfort and numbness.

Today, I went for a 15 mile run with temperature around 40 but with very stiff winds (25 mph sustained with higher gusts). Facing those winds on the last few miles coming home along a frozen river was just torture. Took a good hour after getting home to feel normal again. So I've just had it with suffering and am now willing to drop $50 on wind proof briefs but having trouble sorting through the many options available. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 15:49
So this question isn't necessarily about hiking although I suppose very cold weather hikers could face the same problem. My issue is related to running in cold weather. I have a decent set of cold weather running clothes (running tights, synthetic top, running jacket), mostly purchased from REI, and I use Ex Officio briefs (the same ones I use for hiking) to avoid chafing on long runs. In temperatures of 30+ without any wind chills, this is fine. However, in the 20s or at higher temperatures with wind chills, lets just say that there's a significant amount of discomfort and numbness.

Today, I went for a 15 mile run with temperature around 40 but with very stiff winds (25 mph sustained with higher gusts). Facing those winds on the last few miles coming home along a frozen river was just torture. Took a good hour after getting home to feel normal again. So I've just had it with suffering and am now willing to drop $50 on wind proof briefs but having trouble sorting through the many options available. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
I think many times it's all about the weave. Many of the wicking type garments I own not only allow for perspiration to be drawn away from the skin...but in doing so create a evaporative type effect...and chill me to the bone under certain conditions. my heavier weight tights made by "under Armour" keep me warm when it's blowing out...it's a tighter weave.

...curious I pulled out my old stand by, it was a shirt/tights I got about 8 years ago..."Metal Series" in looking at it closer to see what was really going on there, I see no additional linning to block wind...again just a tighter weave, and in going to there eb site it says this about the metal series...

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-coldgear-ua-metal-tactical-mock/pid1005592

UA METAL™ ventilation zones lock in lightweight thermal regulation and allow airflow
...O'coarse this is very subjective...maybe try an insulating layer over your tights, ie; thin fleece 100 weight or less.

Meriadoc
01-27-2014, 16:15
Funny story I have about this - how a hat saved my you-know-what. Climbing Mt. Washington in February I was sheltered from the wind until I reached Lion's Head. I run hot so even though it was 8 degrees, I was wearing a winter synthetic base layer and that was it. I intended to stop and put rain pants on for protection from the wind. However, the little area at Lion Head that was protected from the wind was completely covered in hikers - it was the first nice day in a while and everyone was out. Since I wasn't cold yet I moved along thinking I would layer up at the next patch of cover.

You can guess the rest. Down there went cold, painful, and then numb. I took my hat off my head and used it to save my bacon. I was very happy when I reached a point to put my pants on. Cheerful summit day in 80 mph winds. :)

/derail

Deadeye
01-27-2014, 16:34
I have some running-specific boxer briefs with an extra nylon panel in the critical area. Helps, but not enough. I've resorted to stuffing a folded bandanna in front for protection

Coffee
01-27-2014, 17:19
That's interesting regarding the weave potentially being the key factor. Maybe I'll go to REI and see how some of their products compare rather than trying to find a solution online.

Regarding a bandana helping, that's an interesting idea. I'd try just about anything at this point to avoid having to resort to the treadmill. :eek:

Slo-go'en
01-27-2014, 17:26
You could get a pair of cheap wind pants and cut them short.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 17:32
That's interesting regarding the weave potentially being the key factor. Maybe I'll go to REI and see how some of their products compare rather than trying to find a solution online.

Regarding a bandana helping, that's an interesting idea. I'd try just about anything at this point to avoid having to resort to the treadmill. :eek:Don't forget to hold them up to the light and test different stretch lengths...you may see some light..but in some garments you may see less. The pseudo vapor bearer thing "Slo-go'in" is suggesting is another good option, inside or out, but carries with it a different host of obstacles. Possible feeling clammy when you sweat...gotta vent, but it is warm, it's a trade off...that's the game.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 17:36
I have some running-specific boxer briefs with an extra nylon panel in the critical area. Helps, but not enough. I've resorted to stuffing a folded bandanna in front for protection...and that makes 101 uses of a bandana for me, I never thought I'd break a hundred..hehe thanks Dead eye!:D

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 17:37
Funny story I have about this - how a hat saved my you-know-what. Climbing Mt. Washington in February I was sheltered from the wind until I reached Lion's Head. I run hot so even though it was 8 degrees, I was wearing a winter synthetic base layer and that was it. I intended to stop and put rain pants on for protection from the wind. However, the little area at Lion Head that was protected from the wind was completely covered in hikers - it was the first nice day in a while and everyone was out. Since I wasn't cold yet I moved along thinking I would layer up at the next patch of cover.

You can guess the rest. Down there went cold, painful, and then numb. I took my hat off my head and used it to save my bacon. I was very happy when I reached a point to put my pants on. Cheerful summit day in 80 mph winds. :)

/derail...and 10 uses for my hat.:)

CoffeeBager
01-27-2014, 20:13
Windproof underwear is popular with cyclists. My cycling husband swears by Craft brand for windproof tops and bottoms: http://shop.craftsports.us/active-ws-gunde-short-mens.html (http://shop.craftsports.us/active-ws-gunde-short-mens.html) or for a more contoured fit-- http://shop.craftsports.us/active-extreme-ws-gunde-mens.html

Drybones
01-27-2014, 21:20
You ever laugh so hard you cry...and you dont know why. That happened to me when I read the thread title "Windproof briefs"...

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 21:22
You ever laugh so hard you cry...and you dont know why. That happened to me when I read the thread title "Windproof briefs"...Same...butt I went in a different direction with it...must be slippin.:D First thing I did do though was check the Fourm heading...nope not the humor forum.

Just Bill
01-27-2014, 21:28
LOL- thread title got me interested too-
I like the bandana for your banana tip!

To the OP- Something simple like a wind pant is probably your best bet. Small enough to remove and stuff in a pocket- and you'll get more use out of it year round when it gets too hot for the tights or the Gore-Tex Windstopper undies. (If they were real they would cost you $70, so the pants are still a good deal)

Montbell is a popular choice-
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=2103&p_id=2305123&gen_cd=1

Astro
01-27-2014, 21:30
Same...butt I went in a different direction with it...must be slippin.:D First thing I did do though was check the Fourm heading...nope not the humor forum.

Or the Women's. ;)

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 21:34
Or the Women's. ;)
yeah, I blew my welcome up there...and won't go back. It's just better that way. :)

Coffee
01-27-2014, 21:38
You ever laugh so hard you cry...and you dont know why. That happened to me when I read the thread title "Windproof briefs"...
Haha ... At the time I wrote the post this was a most serious issue!

Malto
01-27-2014, 22:59
Agree on the wind pants. I want as much ventilation in the nether regions as possible. I would be inclined to wear a pair of crotchless wind pants.

Smooth & Wasabi
01-27-2014, 23:10
There are several options available. After a cold day ski touring I bought some sale priced smartwool wind briefs. They have a wind proof nylon panel over the important part and being merino wool they are very cozy eliminating any worries about discomfort resulting from vapor build up. They let me wear really lightweight (patagonia simple guides) softshell pants in extreme cold and wind comfortably.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 23:16
Agree on the wind pants. I want as much ventilation in the nether regions as possible. I would be inclined to wear a pair of crotchless wind pants.Malto, with that and a sports bra you could even break super Ulta light status...and I'd build the night fire to see that.:D

Trail Ponderer
01-28-2014, 01:13
1. Don't run in those conditions. Run indoors, find a treadmill, up and down steps inside.
2. Run backwards? :)

I'm picturing Bevis (and Butthead) saying "He said stiff" winds.

Starvin Marvin
01-28-2014, 12:15
Look up - Smartwool Lightweight Wind Briefs.