PDA

View Full Version : Everyone likes talking about gear...

WW3
01-27-2014, 17:59
Shake me down!!! This is my complete 2014 NOBO gear list. I am starting February 23 so I am starting out with a heavier bag that I already had before planning this hike for the first month or so in the cold. I got a lighter bag for when it warms up a bit. Let me know if anything I don't need or if I can switch for lighter piece of gear.

Thanks!

Gear List

Weight

Clothing Worn

Quick Dry long sleeve shirt
6.7 oz

Leggings
6.8 oz

Running shorts
3.6 oz

1 ExOfficio Boxers
3.6 oz

1 Swift Wick Quick Dry sock liners
1.5 oz

I Smart Wool Hiking Socks
3 oz

Salomon XA PRO #D Ultra 2 GTX Trail
13 oz

Columbia Zip fleece
14.2 oz

Outdoor Research Lightweight pullover
11.4 oz

Outdoor Research Highcamp glove liners
1.6 oz

Kavu Chilba Hat
5 oz

Sunglasses
.8 oz

Lekki Corklight Trekking poles
16.8 oz

Subtotal= 88 oz

Clothing Carry

Patagonia Baselayer bottoms
4.8 oz

Smart Wool Baselayer bottoms
8.2 oz

Patagonia Down Sweater
15 oz

Sea-to-Summit E-Vent small
4.5 oz

1 Sherpa beanie
3.1 oz

Outdoor Research Highcamp gloves
7.6 oz

Marmot Minimalist Rain Jacket
14.4 oz

Marmot Minimalist Rain Pants
10 oz

Outdoor Research Expedition Crocodiles
12.1 oz

Face mask
1.1 oz

Micro spikes
5.5 oz

Sea-to-summit 1 liter dry sack
.7 oz

I Swift Wick Quick Dry sock liner
1.5 oz

1 Smart Wool hiking sock
3 oz

1 ExOfficio boxer
2.9 oz

Crocs camp shoe
15.5 oz

Subtotal= 109.9 oz

Sleeping System

Big Agnes Storm King 0 degree (first month)
60.8 oz

Western Mountaineering Highlite 35 degree (mailed to me when warms up)
16 oz

ZPacks Hexamid Duplex Tent
20.9 oz

Western Mountaineering Cloudrest pillow
5 oz

Sea-to-Summit Thermolite reactor 20 degree (mail with Western Mountain bag)
9.3 oz

1 loose fitting wool sock (to sleep in)
2.9 oz

Therm-a-Rest SOlite
14 oz

Sea-to-Summit E-Vent Medium
5.2 oz

Subtotal= 73.3 oz

Cooking System

GSI Soloist
10.4 oz

Snow Peak spork
.4 oz

Fancy Feast stove (made)
.2 oz

Windscreen (made)
.4 oz

1 Bic Lighter
.7 oz

Alcohol bottle (full)
16.3 oz

Pack towel
.7 oz

Subtotal= 29.1 oz

Water system

Osprey 3L bladder (empty)
12 oz

Platypus 2 liter bottle
1.3 oz

Sawyer Squeeze water filter
3 oz

Subtotal= 16.3 oz

Other

ULA circuit
39 oz

ZPACK Brain
2.9 oz

ZPACK shoulder pouch
.3 oz

Sea-to-Summit rain Cover
3.2 oz

ZPACK bear bag kit
3 oz

SPOT GPS in ZPACK dry wallet w/ extra batteries
5.2 oz

Phone in ZPACK dry wallet
6.2 oz

ZPACK wallet with ID, debit card, WEMT card
.6 oz

Petzl Tikka 2 headlamp
2.8 oz

AT guidebook in zip lock bag
8.9 oz

Journal w/ pen
10.1 oz

50 feet para cord
1.2 oz

Trash bag
.1 oz

Carabineer
.8 oz

PowerGen Mobile charger with cord
7.9 oz

Knife
2.8 oz

Subtotal= 95 oz

Toiletries

Toothbrush and toothpaste
1.6 oz

Mini comb
.01 oz

Benadryl
.6 oz

Claritin D
.6 oz

Ear plugs
.2 oz

Neosporin
.6 oz

Toilet Paper
2 oz

Lighter
.7 oz

Chap Stick
.3 oz

Ibuprofen
.6 oz

Finger nail clippers
.5 oz

Eye drops
.7 oz

Sea-to-Summit 1 L dry bag
1 oz

Subtotal= 9.4 oz

First Aide Kit

2x ACE bandages
2.8 oz

2x pairs gloves
.9 oz

Itch Cream
1.2 oz

2x cravats
1.1 oz

5X Safety pins
.2 oz

2x Mole Skin
.4 oz

2x large gauze
.2 oz

4x small gauze
.2 oz

Assorted bandages
.3 oz

Tweezers
.2 oz

Needle
.1 oz

1 roll gauze
.2 oz

4 x Alcohol wipes
.1 oz

Duck tape roll
.4 oz

Sea-to-Summit 1 L dry bag
.6 oz

Subtotal= 8.9 oz

Weight Worn
88 oz

Total Base Weight
305. 91 oz 341.9

Winter Weight
377.4 oz

mak1277
01-27-2014, 18:47
Fleece + Lightweight pullover seems like it might be overkill, but it depends on how much you need when hiking in the cold. For me, having a LS baselayer, fleece and rain jacket to wear while hiking would get me down into the 20s without an issue.

Legging + two separate baselayer bottoms is probably overkill too.

First aid kit seems really heavy when you take 8.9 oz and then add in the medication as well.

WW3
01-27-2014, 19:09
Fleece + Lightweight pullover seems like it might be overkill, but it depends on how much you need when hiking in the cold. For me, having a LS baselayer, fleece and rain jacket to wear while hiking would get me down into the 20s without an issue.

Legging + two separate baselayer bottoms is probably overkill too.

First aid kit seems really heavy when you take 8.9 oz and then add in the medication as well.

There was a typo, i meant Smartwool baselayer top not bottoms for both.

Also I am a Wilderness EMT so my med kit may be a litter heavier than some.

But i am probably going to drop the fleece, Thanks!!

4shot
01-27-2014, 19:51
nice list. A couple of things; do you have bags for food storage (I may have overlooked that). Most hikers carry some hand sanitizer along with the TP to keep hands clean ( a must imo). And most will carry aqua mira as a way to treat water but that is a personal preference. I like maps and you may as well being an EMT but that is definitely something that most won't carry. Good luck on your hike. one other thing btw - I got sunburnt like crazy before the leaves came out. and you will be hiking for a good while before it greens up - a small tube of sunblock may be nice if you are prone to getting sunburnt.

Slo-go'en
01-27-2014, 20:53
Since in all likely hood it will be a really friggen cold March this year, don't skimp on clothes! Like I suggested on another thread, waterproof mitten shells would be a good idea. I belive you'll need to be ready for full on winter conditions this year. Don't skimp on socks either. Have a couple of pairs of heavy wool socks.

Your not going to need the allergy meds for a couple of months, it's not much of a weight savings, but..

I'd skip the water filter for now, chances are it will just freeze up anyway. You got good spring water all the way to VA. But you might need an ice axe to get water through the ice. And if it really is cold, your fancy feast stove may not be very effective. Having something to insulate it from the ground would help a lot. Speaking of insulating from the ground, having a piece of closed cell foam pad to sit and stand on will be really nice to have too.

Of course, this all goes out the window if it does suddenly warm up and stays that way in a month. You can always ditch stuff if it does, but don't be fooled by a couple days of warm weather, especially before you get into the real mountains of NC/TN.

nu2hike
01-27-2014, 21:52
I know many people like para cord but to me it's overkill! There are many lighter weight options available! Plus para cord can absorb a good bit of water!
I use a sawyer filter but also carry a very small amount of Aqua Mira just in case my filter freezes or fails!
good luck on your hike!

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 22:45
I know many people like para cord but to me it's overkill! There are many lighter weight options available! Plus para cord can absorb a good bit of water!
I use a sawyer filter but also carry a very small amount of Aqua Mira just in case my filter freezes or fails!
good luck on your hike!I agree that smaller lighter option of cordage's are available, but I choose the meatier ones cause for me they're easy to tie and untie.

LIhikers
01-28-2014, 00:19
A pillow? Really? Why not just put your rain gear, or extra clothes, into a stuff sack and use that?

Razor
01-28-2014, 14:24
Any hat that is called Chilba must be a good looking hat!

Blissful
01-28-2014, 15:47
I'd change out the soloist for a simply titanium pot and lid - like Snowpeak has. You cook set is way too heavy.
Not enough socks for hiking. Unless you are counting your sleep sock as an extra spare hiking sock.
Need an insulated jacket. A down sweater is not enough
The gaiters are really heavy
You're just going to wear shorts to hike in in Feb? Might consider convertible pants which serve as both
I've seen teen temps in March. May want to wait on bag until at least April.
Maps

bfayer
01-28-2014, 20:23
Have you hiked with that hat in the woods? Hats like that tend to get snagged on stuff and knocked off quite a bit on the AT. If you have and it works for you then never mind and forget I brought it up :)

Kc Fiedler
02-02-2014, 00:47
A pillow? Really? Why not just put your rain gear, or extra clothes, into a stuff sack and use that?

+1 for ditching the pillow

George
02-02-2014, 13:38

best is just use the 1.75 for a pillow, then it is right handy in the morning for the eye- opener