PDA

View Full Version : Kincora

Emerson Bigills
01-27-2014, 20:01
I am planning a short AT section hike later this week from Hwy 321 to 19E in East Tennessee. Can I just walk into Kincora on Thursday night, are they open in late January, or do I need to make contact with them ahead of time during this "down" season?

Slo-go'en
01-27-2014, 20:30
You'd best call first. 423-725-4409. Keep in mind the road to town from Kincora is a white knuckle drive in good weather. This time of year the road can be impassable for days and it looks like you guys are going to get hit with a winter storm all the way to Florida tomorrow with significant snow fall in the mountains of TN/NC. Good luck and be prepared! Hope you have micropspikes or similer. I bet the Laurel falls section will be really icy. There are a couple of places where the trail is almost in the river...

Del Q
01-27-2014, 22:54
Stay in the treehouse, was the end of one of the best days in my whole life.

Pain free
Laurel Falls
Bob People's
Shared dinner with thru hikers....................plust steak & eggs the next morning, for $7
Tree house

AWESOME!!!

Tennessee Viking
01-28-2014, 09:37
I am planning a short AT section hike later this week from Hwy 321 to 19E in East Tennessee. Can I just walk into Kincora on Thursday night, are they open in late January, or do I need to make contact with them ahead of time during this "down" season?I would call Kincora and Mountain Harbour or PM/Email Mountain Squid first to get an idea on weather and trail conditions. Right now...the temps are really cold and the area already has some good snowfall. The towns of Elizabethton & Hampton are already reaching 0 temps but should warm up a little by that time.

But for etiquette...I would call Bob @ Kincora first. But yes you can just show up and be fine. He doesn't usually get busy until about March/April/May whenever the main crowd starts heading through.

Kincora is just a bunkhouse connected to Bob's house. He is usually out maintaining or doing shuttles during week. But Kincora is always open.

If you find the trail down to the falls is icy, you can take the Highwater trail. Then if you need to go into town, just take the Hampton Blue Blaze before turning up Pond Mtn. Just watch out for ice on the rock wall.

Emerson Bigills
01-28-2014, 10:08
Thanks, all.

mountain squid
01-28-2014, 12:19
I just spoke to Bob and surprisingly it sounds like his road isn't as bad as I would've expected (I've seen it pretty bad). It has been very cold and it seems he has had some freezing pipe issues, though.

Although it is snowing now and only about 20f in town, the weather does appear to be warmer this weekend. Obviously, it'll still be cold in the mountains, well below freezing at night. If an emergency were to occur it might be very difficult to get off the trail. If you are still planning to make the trip, it would probably be a good idea to call as Slo-go'en and Tennessee Viking have suggested. (Frozen pipes might impact the comfort level of your stay and the road might get worse.)

I'd be surprised if Laurel Fork Falls isn't frozen . . . if you hike on the Hampton Blue blazer, there is a tricky spot that is probably ice covered. A slip will send you into the river . . . . (I've been in the river before :eek:. . . but not from slipping on that icy spot . . . )

See you on the trail,
mt squid

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)

Tennessee Viking
01-28-2014, 19:22
http://www.wcyb.com/image/view/-/24162308/medRes/2/-/maxh/360/maxw/640/-/pkkvbnz/-/Kenny-Jenkins-1-26-14-jpg.jpg

ChinMusic
01-28-2014, 19:25
Holy Cow. I really didn't think it got that cold there.

Jack Tarlin
01-29-2014, 12:28
Kincora is open, in fact it never closes. Be aware that it's VERY cold there right now (the hostel is an uninsulated cabin with only a wood stove for heat). Depending on the weather thgis week, some pipes (like the shower) might be frozen and out of commission. That being said, Bob would love to have you. Any questions, call (423) 725-4409 before 8PM

lemon b
02-02-2014, 14:25
I know you must have been asked this before Jack. Have you ever thought of writing a book on your AT experiences? I've only meet you once to actually speak with and the conversation wasn't trail based, Had no clue was speaking with someone who would do some many miles . Which is fewer times than I've meet Chip Leonard. But it seems to me that thousands of us would love to here your suggestions on hiking, on keeping the trail healthy etc. Also, where did a New England guy get that trail name if I maybe so bold as to ask. Heck some stranger might mistake ya for a Baltimore Fan. By the way put down the camels yet. Believe we both agreed the smoking was effecting our uphill experiences. It Is my big winter project again.

Emerson Bigills
02-03-2014, 21:28
Just a shout out to Bob Peoples and Jack for taking care of me last week. Spending time with them at Kincora (and escaping another night out in the cold) was the best part of my three day trip from Wautauga Lake to 19E. Lots of snow out there and I saw no others on the trail in those three days. Seeing the frozen falls at Laurel Fork and the frozen Elk River are amazing for East Tennessee.

Bob said it was 12 below on Thursday morning, but being the great host he is, he placed a space heater in one of the bathrooms. It was so warm, I almost slept in there. LOL. Thanks, guys, you are the best.

hikerboy57
02-03-2014, 21:37
although im not wild about hostels, kincora was a highlight of my trip last year.bob and seiko are wonderful.

kennyxedge
02-12-2014, 18:18
Definitely a great spot.

MtDoraDave
11-12-2017, 17:02
Hate to revive an old thread, but I have been trying to call Kincora for a couple days now, and the line is usually busy. When it isn't busy, I get a loud tone. I want to find out if I can park my truck there in a week or so, and perhaps get a shower at the end of that week... I don't really want to leave my truck at the trail head on Dennis Cove rd for a week, and the Black Bear resort is going to be closed the week I'll be there.

Does anyone know what's going on with their phone, or if I can just show up and say "hey, can I pay to park my truck here for a week and for a shower?"

MtDoraDave
11-12-2017, 17:03
- also, their facebook page isn't letting me comment or message.

Gambit McCrae
11-13-2017, 09:06
Last I had heard, a tree had fallen on kinkora and it was out of commission. I have not seen any posts on FB showing that renovations and repairs had been done. That being said I have parked my truck at Kinkora, I called and confirmed but never got to meet bob. Other options are, calling black bear Resort and stating that although they will be closed would it be OK for you to park there. Second option is Mountain Harbor just right down the road, they have safe parking and could do the shuttle for you, also they have a shower....Hope this helps

Tennessee Viking
11-13-2017, 10:15
Last I had heard, a tree had fallen on kinkora and it was out of commission. I have not seen any posts on FB showing that renovations and repairs had been done. That being said I have parked my truck at Kinkora, I called and confirmed but never got to meet bob. Other options are, calling black bear Resort and stating that although they will be closed would it be OK for you to park there. Second option is Mountain Harbor just right down the road, they have safe parking and could do the shuttle for you, also they have a shower....Hope this helpsGambit: Checked in with my TEHCC contacts. Kincora is ALL GOOD. The incident was back in the summer and everything is fine now with Kincora.

MtDoraDave (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/63070-MtDoraDave):Bob doesn't do Facebook. I think someone attempted to create one for him. But Bob does not maintain it.

If Bob doesn't answer, its usually because he is away from Kincora or his hearing aid is down. Just keep on calling him. He doesn't mind walk-ins for the hostel. Parking I would keep calling him.

Not sure if the Browns are still helping out. But there is another good hostel/campground service on US321 near the highway crossing.

Gambit McCrae
11-13-2017, 11:36
MtDoraDave (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/63070-MtDoraDave): Usually if Bob doesn't answer, he is usually away from Kincora or turned his hearing aid down.

Gambit: Was this recent? I will check into it. I know Bob and one of his neighbors.

This was in 2016 but I have not heard an update since then. A friend of mine walked from 19E to Dennis cove one day, planning to stay at kincora but once there found it to be out of commission. IF renovation has not happened by now, I would say the place would be beyond repairable. Hope that is not the case.

JC13
11-13-2017, 11:51
This was in 2016 but I have not heard an update since then. A friend of mine walked from 19E to Dennis cove one day, planning to stay at kincora but once there found it to be out of commission. IF renovation has not happened by now, I would say the place would be beyond repairable. Hope that is not the case.Guthooks has a review from Oct. 26th 2017 so I assume it was back up and running as of 2.5 weeks ago or so.

MtDoraDave
11-13-2017, 20:15
I appreciate y'alls help. Busy, just now. When it's not busy I get a buzzing tone. It's weird.
I'll keep at it.

MtDoraDave
11-18-2017, 20:05
Turns out he's been waiting for the phone guy for a week!
But he is very nice and let me park there.