PDA

View Full Version : Bailey Gap Shelter

Kerosene
09-05-2005, 19:57
Basic 6-person wooden shelter at the end of the climb from road (going north), with a stretch of difficult rock-hopping north of the shelter itself. Picnic table and fire pit. Not sure about a privy.

Stobl
05-14-2007, 20:30
Privy is approximately 50 feet away from shelter, and water source is about 100 yards off the trail.

BlackCloud
05-21-2007, 09:59
As of 05/19/07 the area was a little messy. Not much room for tents and otherwise uninspiring....

JEBjr
03-17-2011, 09:25
I can't find a better place to spend St Patrick's Day, so I'm heading up there today. Thoughts, suggestions, concerns? No if I can just find a bottle of Bailey's and shepard's pie recipe!

Cookerhiker
03-17-2011, 11:25
I can't find a better place to spend St Patrick's Day, so I'm heading up there today. Thoughts, suggestions, concerns? No if I can just find a bottle of Bailey's and shepard's pie recipe!

No Guinness?

JEBjr
03-17-2011, 11:36
Never know what might end up in my pack. I will have to see what I can find at the Wade's in Dublin, Virginia, not Ireland.

Berserker
08-23-2012, 13:04
What are the tenting options at the shelter, and in the general vicinity (within a mile of the shelter either North or South)?

Berserker
09-25-2012, 12:30
What are the tenting options at the shelter, and in the general vicinity (within a mile of the shelter either North or South)?
As I sometimes do here I'll answer my own question. There is no decent established tenting in the immediate area of the shelter. The shelter is up against a slope, and the whole area is very rocky. I don't specifically remember if I saw anything decent North or South on the trail.

Also thought I'd mention that I saw two bears here. They rolled in shortly after I had cooked my supper, but were easily scared away. Didn't see them again after that.

FlyPaper
09-26-2012, 11:26
Stony Creek, about 1.5 miles south has a large campsite. Unfortunately, this is more than the mile range you're looking for. Also, it is at a road crossing (not much traffic).