PDA

View Full Version : Going mainstream (sorta)

Just Bill
01-27-2014, 21:16
Got the latest Backpacker today, (March issue) and apparently Backpacker is (sorta) writing about backpackers!

Cam "Swami" Honan- has an entire, massive, TWO page spread. No; not anything really about his amazing 15k mile trip (they saved the 8 page in-depth article for a missing hiker who was trekking in nepal)- but a graphics intensive collection of random tips from Cam's 50k miles of hiking.

They even- gasp- have a section about Speed hiking (actually they call it endurance hiking).
Again- mainly standard graphics and blurbs with no actual content- but they actually have an entire two paragraphs (each even- four total) each with a picture (not plural) of Anish and Matt Kirk. They even talked to them a little and put a quote from each of them in EXTREME graphical font for emphasis.

Sorry. I was so excited to see backpackers, and even speed hikers mentioned that I got my hopes up a bit. I know Backpacker Mag is pretty much all we got- but you would think Swami at least could pull down a real article...
But speed hiking is clearly going mainstream!

Congrats to Matt and Anish on achieving fame and fortune (sorta)!

Teacher & Snacktime
01-27-2014, 21:39
Perhaps you can fit into mainstream with an IHP....Individual Hiking Plan.....No Hiker Left Behind!

Meriadoc
01-27-2014, 23:42
Perhaps you can fit into mainstream with an IHP....Individual Hiking Plan.....No Hiker Left Behind!
Made me chuckle. :)

Trillium
01-28-2014, 01:20
Met Matt Kirk at SoRuck; very impressive and humble young guy. He deserves all the kudos.

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 03:26
You know who else has some good trip articles and a forum designed much like WB? TrailGroove They haven't been around long but I like their content in their trip reports. I'll tell ya another thing JustBill. It's just the type of venue where your talents as a writer and experience as a hiker would prolly get posted. :cool: :eek:

HikerMom58
01-28-2014, 07:34
You know who else has some good trip articles and a forum designed much like WB? TrailGroove They haven't been around long but I like their content in their trip reports. I'll tell ya another thing JustBill. It's just the type of venue where your talents as a writer and experience as a hiker would prolly get posted. :cool: :eek:

I have a feelin JB will be recognized for his writing talent one day.... at the very least he has impressed us for sure. :)

moldy
01-28-2014, 08:39
Years ago, backpacker mag was more useful. These days the paper that they use has become so hard and crinkly that it's hard on the old bum. I liked the way it was in the old days, a more soft, gentle and useful mag....

aficion
01-28-2014, 09:12
Years ago, backpacker mag was more useful. These days the paper that they use has become so hard and crinkly that it's hard on the old bum. I liked the way it was in the old days, a more soft, gentle and useful mag....

You didn't get the memo? Now you are supposed to use a stick.