PDA

View Full Version : Cheap gear

Just Bill
01-27-2014, 21:40
Patagonia's first winter sale starts the 29th (1/29/14)- should be 30% off this time around.

Just FYI-
They seem to go with a 30% end of season sale (the one coming up), then a season clearance sale (April ish) that goes to 50% off, then what ever doesn't sell goes on permanent discount.
MED, Large, and anything popular is usually gone the first sale (now), with the stragglers, odd colors or sizes making it to the later (cheaper) sale.
I don't work there- it could change- just passing an observation.

The sale items still enjoy the same guarantee and return policy as the rest of the stuff. While you may think it's trendy or overpriced (it is) it is still some of the best clothing on the planet.

A few of the best-
Capeline 1, 2, or 4 (as low as $20)
Merino 1- rarely on sale
Houdini jacket (not the alpine)
R1 fleece
M10 shell or other rain coats.

CHEAP GEAR BONUS-
My wife took me into TJ Maxx the other day-
They had Patagonia, Darn Tuff, Merill, Icebreaker, and several other quality (but factory reject) items for up to 75% off. Mainly Socks for men- but still.
They had very little mens clothing- but TONS of women's stuff for cheap- they even had a decent backpack!

You never know what they have, you may strike out- but worth a stop- I got a dozen pairs of quality socks ($15-22 per pair) for about $50 with tax.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-27-2014, 21:51
Check out the Dick's Sporting Goods clearance too. I got Snacktime's Columbia shell for $30, and a merino baselayer shirt for $20. As expected, it's hit or miss....but man, when you hit you hit big!

Also, Ocean State Job Lot carries a Merino Wool hiking sock that is EXACTLY like REI's version of the merino hiking crew (80%). Their regular price $3.99...NOT seconds. We have lots of these.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 23:19
Check out the Dick's Sporting Goods clearance too. I got Snacktime's Columbia shell for $30, and a merino baselayer shirt for $20. As expected, it's hit or miss....but man, when you hit you hit big!

Also, Ocean State Job Lot carries a Merino Wool hiking sock that is EXACTLY like REI's version of the merino hiking crew (80%). Their regular price $3.99...NOT seconds. We have lots of these.Way ta "Dirt Bag" it Teach.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 23:23
They had very little mens clothing- but TONS of women's stuff for cheap- they even had a decent backpack!

for the savings...I got no problem wearing womens clothes...seriously!

Teacher & Snacktime
01-28-2014, 01:02
I noticed, RS. That fuscia puffy looked good on you at Harriman. I'd ditch the leopard tights next time though...they clashed with the camo shorts.

(Snacktime's new pack was an REI Flash52 - women's)

Razor
01-28-2014, 14:14
REI flash is a good pack for a great price -I started my lightweight journey with that pack !

Praha4
01-28-2014, 16:20
thanks Just Bill for the heads up. I'll check out the Patagonia sale. Great deal on the socks!

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 17:33
JB, TJ Max really? I'm going to check that out. THX.

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 17:43

Well, I don't wear women's clothes(I'll leave that for you to explore RS, you should fell free to express yourself in this modern age:D) but I do sometimes trail crash on a Thermarest Women's Neo Air. Hiking buddy brought a pink woman's ProLite 3(old version, it's now ProLite Plus) on a group trip. We ragged on him so much, including me. I stopped the ragging when I finally slept on one. Hey, pretty good idea, IF you can get over the pink color. I met two different hikers that used the old womans pink versions but changed the color(paint, indelible markers) because they felt so conscientiously NOT macho rolling with the pink.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-28-2014, 19:39
oops....duplicate post

Teacher & Snacktime
01-28-2014, 19:40
Made another score at Dick's today....a $129 Primaloft puffy (Koppen) for $36....in orange...perfect for fall/spring (and here I thought I had enough gear!)

johnnybgood
01-28-2014, 21:23
Made another score at Dick's today....a $129 Primaloft puffy (Koppen) for $36....in orange...perfect for fall/spring (and here I thought I had enough gear!)

Good deal teach. l recently scored 2 pair of practically new hiking shoes at REI's garage sale for $5.83 each.

Night Train
01-28-2014, 21:34
TJ Maxx........bazinga!

Just Bill
01-29-2014, 20:20

I prefer skirts and various women's clothing- mainly because it complements my flowing locks and I find my a$$ looks much better.

+1 on the womens Neo-air- an ounce lighter and slightly higher r-value.

Patagonia Sale is on now- cleans out fast.

Alpine Bomber
02-16-2014, 19:45
REI.com/outlet has super cheap gear, and last years models are just hitting sales as they've been replaced. The REI flash mentioned earlier has been updated, and the old model is on super sale.

AngelEyez
02-17-2014, 12:06
Jockey has gr8 sales right now to just got me to pairs of skimmies <short leggings like> 22 original price 10 bucks on sale and with my 10 dollar card vip discount walked out spending 90 cents. right now is the time to buy winter gear alotta big sales :). i v saved hundreds shopping the sales racks and going outta season stuff

Teacher & Snacktime
02-17-2014, 12:26
Jockey has gr8 sales right now to just got me to pairs of skimmies <short leggings like> 22 original price 10 bucks on sale and with my 10 dollar card vip discount walked out spending 90 cents. right now is the time to buy winter gear alotta big sales :). i v saved hundreds shopping the sales racks and going outta season stuff

Yeah...a 95% discount works for me

Just Bill
02-20-2014, 20:40
A little early this year- 50% off patagonia sale now through 2/27

Feral Bill
02-20-2014, 22:07
I got good deals recently on a Patagonia down jacket, new snowshoes, cross country ski boots, and a Tilly winter hat. Gotta love clearance sales.