PDA

View Full Version : I don't need any more gear !!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
01-27-2014, 22:04
Of course, WANT is another thing entirely. What would you choose as one completely unnecessary gear indulgence?

This Sierra Nevada 2 man UL tent I saw at the Mt Rogers Outfitter in Damascus. Everything included and it weighed about 2.5 lbs. It had loads of room and was super easy to set up. And only $400+

Alas, my $69 Kelty Tempest will suffice.

hikerboy57
01-27-2014, 22:13
i am finally at the point i can walk in and out of rei and ems without having to buy anything.
over the years its probably cost me over $10k to get to the $2k worth of gear i really need for 4 season hiking.

coach lou
01-27-2014, 22:17
Do I really need 11 backpacking cooking pots and 500 feet of para cord and 2mm kermantle

Teacher & Snacktime
01-27-2014, 22:19
I lied....I need a new inflatable pad. My son's dog ate the valve on Snacktime's Stratus when I was unpacking from Harriman. So what's another $100...sigh.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 22:21
True, I have what I think is all the necessary things for me to go out in several weather conditions, but if I had to absolutely pick one unnecessary indulgence...I guess it would be...

...this is tough, cause I actually have to carry it...I dunno, maybe one of them fancy over priced nylon water buckets, with the handle. Or a smaller AM/FM radio with weather bands...and short wave...and solar, with crank handle...that cooks my dinner for me...that's all.

Sarcasm the elf
01-27-2014, 22:21
I could really use another backpack...or two...

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 22:22
I lied....I need a new inflatable pad. My son's dog ate the valve on Snacktime's Stratus when I was unpacking from Harriman. So what's another $100...sigh.
what you need is a new dog...hehehe

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 22:23
you do, you really do, hehehe

4shot
01-27-2014, 22:54
i am finally at the point i can walk in and out of rei and ems without having to buy anything.

me, too. except I decided I wanted to try a hammock/tarp setup on my next section hike so I am putting together that setup. the nice thing about that stuff is it really holds its resale value if I decide I want to stay with my tent setup. used gear over on the hammock forum website sells for almost full retail price.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-27-2014, 22:58

He's a ridiculous dufus doggie who eats gear, but he's irreplaceable.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 23:09

He's a ridiculous dufus doggie who eats gear, but he's irreplaceable.oh I love it...for all the gear in the world.

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 23:12

Me too, I still go though...that's why they call it pack sniffin, and don't seem to mind my strange behaviors.

hikerboy57
01-27-2014, 23:20
Me too, I still go though...that's why they call it pack sniffin, and don't seem to mind my strange behaviors.oh, i always go anyway. im always looking for a better mouse trap, but im pretty satisfied with my kit, so at worst, i fill in when i find stuff on sale.i replaced my marmot mica at ems last week, was 30% off +i had a $25 coupon.that jkt worked great for me the last few years, but i dont think itll hold up for a thru this year.it would have needed replacement at some point.

Meriadoc
01-27-2014, 23:36
over the years its probably cost me over $10k to get to the $2k worth of gear i really need for 4 season hiking.

Me too. Now I only purchase equipment if something breaks or if I can do an even swap. I don't even have the urge to walk into an outfitter except to see the people and marvel at the things I don't need :)

rocketsocks
01-27-2014, 23:40
oh, i always go anyway. im always looking for a better mouse trap, but im pretty satisfied with my kit, so at worst, i fill in when i find stuff on sale.i replaced my marmot mica at ems last week, was 30% off +i had a $25 coupon.that jkt worked great for me the last few years, but i dont think itll hold up for a thru this year.it would have needed replacement at some point.

Me too. Now I only purchase equipment if something breaks or I can do an even swap. I don't even have the urge to walk into an outfitter except to see the people and marvel at the things I don't need :)
yep, kinda in the same boat...only buy what I need and replace what breaks with something maybe lighter or new fangled if I'm feeling lucky.

LIhikers
01-28-2014, 00:03

Yea, me too. EMS and REI are no problem. Campmor, now that's another story.

Astro
01-28-2014, 00:14
oh, i always go anyway. im always looking for a better mouse trap, but im pretty satisfied with my kit, so at worst, i fill in when i find stuff on sale.i replaced my marmot mica at ems last week, was 30% off +i had a $25 coupon.that jkt worked great for me the last few years, but i dont think itll hold up for a thru this year.it would have needed replacement at some point.

HB, did you replace it with a Marmot Mica or Marmot Super Mica?

George
01-28-2014, 02:31

He's a ridiculous dufus doggie who eats gear, but he's irreplaceable.

what gear makers need is more dogs like that

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 03:16

LOL You too huh?

rocketsocks
01-28-2014, 03:26
LOL You too huh?
That's funny, cause I've seen others in the stores doin the exact same thing, usually we'll make eye contact and nod cause each of us knows...."yeah, just lookin, I don't really need it" all this takes place with no words exchanged.....too funny

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2014, 03:27
Yea, me too. EMS and REI are no problem. Campmor, now that's another story.
I can drive right by an EMS, REI, or any other without stopping or even looking twice. But Campmor, no way. I simply HAVE to stop anytime I'm back in northern NJ. I bought my first pack (Camp Trails Horizon), first sleeping bag (a brown, house brand 20° down sleeping bag), and first pair of boots (Continental Tyroleans) from them in the late 60's - back when they were Morsan.

rocketsocks
01-28-2014, 03:31
I can drive right by an EMS, REI, or any other without stopping or even looking twice. But Campmor, no way. I simply HAVE to stop anytime I'm back in northern NJ. I bought my first pack (Camp Trails Horizon), first sleeping bag (a brown, house brand 20° down sleeping bag), and first pair of boots (Continental Tyroleans) from them in the late 60's - back when they were Morsan.
My first tent was a camp trails, use to go there with my Pop in the early 70's, don't recall the name back then though, I think it was then Campmor...great store.

hikerboy57
01-28-2014, 09:36
HB, did you replace it with a Marmot Mica or Marmot Super Mica?
the mica. i had absolutely no complaint with it for the past few years, and i dont normally change what aint broke.the lack of pit zips doesnt bother me at all.
and i got it for half price.:)

psyon27
01-28-2014, 09:55
I need more gear! Keep shopping and send it to me lol.

Ken

Coffee
01-28-2014, 10:00
At this point, I have all the gear I need for three season backpacking. Although I have some gear I purchased early on that I never use, for the most part I was able to get my gear ironed out to what I consider close to ideal without wasting too much money. Credit to sites like WhiteBlaze for making that possible.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-28-2014, 10:16
back when they were Morsan.

I didn't know this! When I first met my husband ('75) he was working in the camping dept of Morsan in Trenton. We just thought they went out of business, like every other sporting goods store we knew of. Now I'll have to go check one out - strictly for nostalgia's sake of course, since I DON'T NEED ANY MORE GEAR!

BuckeyeBill
01-28-2014, 11:54
all of my current gear is 25-30 years old (canvas and leather pack, rectangular sleeping bag made of cotton and flannel etc.) So I am in the process of buying all new gear. While at first I suffered sticker shock I finally cave in and started getting the equipment that I needed and some that I wanted. I am buying both Hammock and tent set-ups so maybe that's why the bill is what it is. Oh well I should be in good shape for several trips I have planned over the next few years. HYOH

Alligator
01-28-2014, 12:25
Excalibur dehydrator. I've got two of the round ones so they are sufficient, but the tray area would be about 3 tomes more.

And an Old Town Tripper XL. Or maybe a kayak.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-28-2014, 13:16
It's tough lugging that kayak up the trail, but I totally get the "want" idea.

AliciaG
02-06-2014, 19:38
Haha, only $400+ ? It could be fear of missing out on a great deal

Of course, WANT is another thing entirely. What would you choose as one completely unnecessary gear indulgence?

This Sierra Nevada 2 man UL tent I saw at the Mt Rogers Outfitter in Damascus. Everything included and it weighed about 2.5 lbs. It had loads of room and was super easy to set up. And only $400+

Alas, my $69 Kelty Tempest will suffice.

fins1838
02-06-2014, 20:22
A really good cold weather sleeping bag. Light weight. Under $200. Any suggestions? Oh yea, I'm 6'3".

Drybones
02-06-2014, 21:05
[QUOTE=Teacher & Snacktime;1840198] And only $400+

QUOTE]

Only.....you sound like my kids.

Theosus
02-06-2014, 21:21
What would you choose as one completely unnecessary gear indulgence?.

I think I would probably go for a small, expensive tent. As a hammocker I have often wondered what it would be like sleeping out under the stars with just the mosquito netting between me and the open sky, out on a big bald.
A tent and a small pad... that's what I would buy next. But otherwise, other than replacing things that wear out, I'm pretty set.

MDSection12
02-06-2014, 21:24
I'm a downaholic. I'll never have enough down. I blame Drybones for today's relapse.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-06-2014, 21:35
[QUOTE=Teacher & Snacktime;1840198] And only $400+QUOTE]

Only.....you sound like my kids.

Sarcasm spill on Post #1 !

4shot
02-07-2014, 07:35
A really good cold weather sleeping bag. Light weight. Under $200. Any suggestions? Oh yea, I'm 6'3".

check out sierra trading post. They have the MH ultralamina 15* bag ,long version, listed at $199. You can usually get a 20-30% coupon for that site so that is a pretty good bag for about $140 - $160. It's synthetic of course (which has its pros/cons) but weighs just a bit over 3 lbs. it would be hard to do better than that in your price range.

4shot
02-07-2014, 07:46
check out sierra trading post. They have the MH ultralamina 15* bag ,long version, listed at $199. You can usually get a 20-30% coupon for that site so that is a pretty good bag for about $140 - $160. It's synthetic of course (which has its pros/cons) but weighs just a bit over 3 lbs. it would be hard to do better than that in your price range.

I just checked out my email. there is a 45% off coupon on select items (+.99$ shipping). using that coupon and, if you wanted to splurge, you could pick up a Marmot Helium 15* long down bag for about $233. weighs 2 lbs. 9 oz. You will never find a better price on a bag of that quality. I have a Marmot 15* bag and a 40* bag, both down, and you can trust the temp ratings on them. in fact, they may be conservative. I have been comfortable in 0* in my winter bag. (I do not have experience with the MH ultralamina but they generally get good reviews from what I have seen). hope this is helpful. don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

Old Hiker
02-07-2014, 08:57

But now you can offer the DISCARDED gear list to people for only $5.

Offer the KEPT gear list to people who want a shortcut to 4 season hiking bliss for only $10 !!

And today only, offer BOTH lists for $20 !! In a plain, brown, unmarked envelope.

Make some of your money back !

CarlZ993
02-07-2014, 12:00
When I walk into the Downtown Austin REI store, the manager says 'Hi, Carl,' to which I reply, 'Hi, Brian.'

'nuf said. :)

coach lou
02-07-2014, 13:42
over the years its probably cost me over $10k to get to the $2k worth of gear i really need for 4 season hiking.Do you have a 'Non-essential' camping gear storage area?

4eyedbuzzard
02-07-2014, 13:57
I didn't know this! When I first met my husband ('75) he was working in the camping dept of Morsan in Trenton. We just thought they went out of business, like every other sporting goods store we knew of. Now I'll have to go check one out - strictly for nostalgia's sake of course, since I DON'T NEED ANY MORE GEAR!Just an FYI in case you or anyone else is interested - I inquired and received this email in reply:
Campmor officially opened its doors in Bogota NJ in 1978. However Morsan was
still in business at that time but went out of business a couple of years
later. When [sic] then moved up to the old Morsan location in Paramus where our
retail store is currently. Thank you for your continued interest.

Thank you, Peter Koop
Campmor Customer ServiceWhat isn't stated is the link between the two companies - Mort Jarashow. He founded Morsan with his brother, Sanford originally selling surplus army tents after WWII. The Morsan name was a combination of his first name and his brother's Sanford. Morsan in Bogata and Paramus, NJ expanded and was sold to Lionel Co. (think toy trains), but then went out of business. Jarashow later took over the original Paramus location after a non-compete agreement expired, and founded Campmor with his son, Daniel, who still owns the business I believe. Morton Jarashow recently passed away in December 2013, at age 92.

Here's the bigger story and obit: http://www.northjersey.com/obituaries/235693801_Morton_Jarashow__founder_of_Campmor_in_P aramus.html?c=y&page=1

Feral Bill
02-07-2014, 14:08
Just an FYI in case you or anyone else is interested - I inquired and received this email in reply:What isn't stated is the link between the two companies - Mort Jarashow. He founded Morsan with his brother, Sanford originally selling surplus army tents after WWII. The Morsan name was a combination of his first name and his brother's Sanford. Morsan in Bogata and Paramus, NJ expanded and was sold to Lionel Co. (think toy trains), but then went out of business. Jarashow later took over the original Paramus location after a non-compete agreement expired, and founded Campmor with his son, Daniel, who still owns the business I believe. Morton Jarashow recently passed away in December 2013, at age 92.

Here's the bigger story and obit: http://www.northjersey.com/obituaries/235693801_Morton_Jarashow__founder_of_Campmor_in_P aramus.html?c=y&page=1 I recall shopping at Morsan's in Long Island City (Queens, NYC) before they moved to NJ. They were a jumble, with a world of tents set up on the roof. A great place for a city kid with outdoor dreams.

DandT40
02-07-2014, 14:20
YES!!!! I love my pack, but I'm always looking for another pack for more specific trips. Of course I could accomplish them all with my existing pack, but I can save a few ounces if I get a different one! :)