PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil sol

nu2hike
01-27-2014, 23:20
My cooking on the trail consist of boiling water for freezer bag meals! Currently I'm using an alcohol stove made by Smokeeater908 call a mini heat! It's light weight and reasonably fuel efficient. Still it does take longer to boil than with a canister stove!
I like the speed of the Jetboil Sol. And it's a fairly compact , inclusive system! Weight wise by the time I add up the weight of my Fosters can pots 2 ( one 16 oz and one 8 oz) wind screen, pot stand stove ,cozy, spork and the Kool Aid container I keep it in it weighs 9.5oz. That weight doesn't include fuel! I usually carry 1-2 oz for each day on the trail.
According to the website the Jetboil Sol weighs 10.5 oz not including the gas.
For those of you who prefer cannister stoves, particularly Jetboil, how do you like them and why do you prefer them to alcohol stoves?

HooKooDooKu
01-28-2014, 00:12
The JetBoil has the benefit of:
1. Stability (because of the way the pot connects to the stove)
2. Compact (fuel cannister and stove fit neatly inside the pot)
3. Efficient
The last one is sort of a combination of how the stove connects to the pot (putting the pot very close to the flame) and the heat exchanger that not only makes heat from the flame better get to the pot, it also acts a bit like a wind screen.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't buy the JetBoil. Instead, I'd look more into the combination of the Olicamp Hard Anodized XTS Pot (6.7oz @ $30) and the Snow Peak MaxLite (1.9oz @ $60). That's a total of 8.6 oz for only $90. Because the MaxLite folds so small, it and a canister should fit inside the Olicamp, and the total size would be smaller (4.5"x5.3" vs 4.1"x6.5") even though the Olicamp is larger (1L v. 0.8L). You would loose the stability that you get with having a pot that attaches to the stove, and I would suspect that the Olicamp isn't quite as efficient as the JetBoil (because the fins on the JetBoil are larger).

<Edit>
I found a YouTube review on the Olicamp pot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBFt-c33pyA). Apparently the 6.7oz weight of the Olicamp does not include the lid. The reviewer claimed the final weight of the Olicamp with the lid is 7.8oz.

By comparison, the JetBoil says the 10.5oz doesn't include pot support and fuel stabilizer. I don't think that is fully accurate because I tried weighing my JetBoil Sol and couldn't come up with 10.5oz. The closest I came was also removing the cup. Here's my measurements:
JetBoil Pot (with cozy): 5.9oz
+ Stove (3.6oz): 9.6oz
+ Lid (0.7): 10.2oz
+ Cup (1.2oz): 11.4oz
+ Stabilizers (1.0oz): 12.3oz
+ Pot Support (1.3oz): 13.6oz

Astro
01-28-2014, 00:41
The JetBoil is just so easy to use. Very efficient and you do not have to worry about spills, carrying matches/lighter, etc.. After hiking all day I want an easy no fuss way to make dinner quickly.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2014, 03:00
In the cold and especially the wind I'll take the Jetboil over pretty much any other combo out there. But always carry a back up lighter. Piezo igniters can fail.
Jetboil Sol Ti with cozy and lid weighs 8.5 oz and with a full JB canister (but no stabilizer, no pot ring, no bottom cup) weighs exactly 15 oz.

Starchild
01-28-2014, 09:52
I have tried several alchy stoves, the best one I've found is the Cadara Cone, I was really impressed with it's efficiency and once called it 'the jetboil of alchy stoves', but I have since discovered it can't hold a candle to the speed, simplicity and durability of the jetboil. I found that out on the last hike I did before my thru, when I switched back to the jetboil 'just to see' and what a difference. I made my decision right then and there that I was going to go to Springer with the Jetboil instead of the cone.

I have also have not noticed that much of a weight's savings with the cone and all the accessories when you include fuel weight, and the cone setup is flimsy, needs to be protected. The weight of the JB Sol Ti that I have is 17 oz with a full fuel canister (there was a redesign that added some weight from the 15 oz stated above) , the fuel weight is 3 oz (that boils 10 L of water) and I usually run it down close to empty before replacing, so practically 14.5 oz - 17 oz depending on where I am in resupply. I never carry 2 canisters, and unless I get a large canister for free, always use the smallest one.

A very nice thing about the canisters used in the JB is that they last a very long time, you can easily travel through several town stops before needing a new one, so one does not need to be on a constant need for more fuel. Hiker boxes can fill in the gaps, as partly used canisters are common. This is to me a big plus for a thru, but not so much for a shorter backpack.

During one very cold evening I was with 5 others who we all were cooking together, it was Mexican night at the leantoo. It was also very very cold, I think in the low teen's (but don't know, no thermometer). With the combination of alchy stoves and canisters, my jetboil was the only one that got water to boil. I ended up boiling water for everyone then transferring it to their pot for their part of the cooking.

During the summer months I did bounce my JB up to Maine but went with Esbit for the little cooking I did. I found it much easier, safer and more durable then the alcky setup's I have tried. For short term - light weight backpacking I would go with esbit instead of alchy, but even though more outfitters/hostels are carrying it, it is still hard to find and I had 2 boxed maildropped to me. Walmart sells a product that works as a substitute for Esbit.

I also liked getting coffee ready while still in the tent and sleeping bag. The Jetboil worked great for this, esbit also worked good, I would not want to light flaming spillable liquid close to my tent as I did this right outside the tent 'door'. There are some alchy stoves that will not spill, the Starlyte is one such of them.

When I did switch to Esbit I was also hiking with Splash and she used a wood stove with a cat can alchy stove as a backup. The wood stove used no fuel except for what we picked up, sometimes a fire starter such as cotton + Vasoline were 'consumables' but birch bark is common enough on the ground along the AT during the day hike that the above is not really needed. Splash would normally carry about 2 oz of alcohol fuel. She likes the natural aspect of firemaking with wood and the light weight cat can, which was not the most efficient for her pot (flames up the sides) - but it was a light weight backup stove anyway, she used the wood stove as a wind screen when using the cat can stove.

colorado_rob
01-28-2014, 10:25
For those of you who prefer cannister stoves, particularly Jetboil, how do you like them and why do you prefer them to alcohol stoves? I tried the like the Alchy setup, but alcohol as a fuel is just too inefficient. Sure, you can get ridiculously lightweight alchy setups, but the jetboil stove uses about half the weight fuel-wise so is overall much more efficient for those of us that do a couple boils or more a day and want more than a couple days worth of fuel at a time. If you only do, say, one two-cup boil a day and resupply every 3-4 days, the Alchy setup is probably more weight efficient, though you still have to wait a long time for your hot water.

My jetboil Sol Ti weighs exactly 8.9 ounces, though a pal's same stove weighs 9.1 oz, go figure. This does NOT include that stupid little black cup nor does it include the "stabilizer" stand. Just the burner, pot (0.9 liters, about 3.3 cups not quite full) and lid. Again, this is the Titanium model, quite a bit more expensive to save a couple ounces, probably not worth it, but oh well, I sprang for it.

So really, if you want speed and amazing fuel efficiency, the Jetboil is the way to go. I like HooKooDooKu's analytical numbers, but they don't reflect the fact that the Jetboil (either Al or Ti) is more efficient on fuel because of the heat exchanger; I found about a 25% efficiency gain vs. other little canister micro-stoves (I did a thorough test Jetboil vs. the pocket rocket).

Bottom line, my Jetboil Sol Ti and one small canister (4 oz of fuel, 7.3 oz total for snow peak brand). 16.2 ounces total, will do about 16 ~3 cup heats, enough to last me a week including 2 cups of coffee in the morning, tea and dehydrated meal at night, with very fast heat times. I usually don't go to full boil, by the way, but close. A larger canister (8+ oz of fuel, 13 oz total) will last me two full weeks, but with resupply, I usually only carry the small one.

Nooga
01-28-2014, 14:57
My jetboil Sol Ti weighs exactly 8.9 ounces, though a pal's same stove weighs 9.1 oz, go figure. This does NOT include that stupid little black cup nor does it include the "stabilizer" stand. Just the burner, pot (0.9 liters, about 3.3 cups not quite full) and lid. Again, this is the Titanium model, quite a bit more expensive to save a couple ounces, probably not worth it, but oh well, I sprang for it.

I recently found a good deal on the Ti Jetboil and have a couple of questions. If you don't carry the bottom cup, do you worry about the exposed fins on the pot (either damage to the pot or other items in your pack)?
I've noticed that the pot fits very tight on the burner. In fact, I had trouble getting it loose on my first boil in the kitchen and poured the water out. Does this loosen up or do I need to make some adjustments? BTW, I was amazed at how quickly it heated the water.

Coffee
01-28-2014, 15:38
Since I made a custom pot cozy for my jetboil the fins are not exposed in my pack since the stove is stored in the cozy. However, I've never thought of the fins being something that could harm other gear.

I sed see this method to make the pot cozy. Weighs very little. I think under 1.5 ounces:

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/6582/ultralight-backpacking-pot-cozy/

Nooga
01-28-2014, 18:04
Thanks for the link to the pot cozy. I weighed my Ti Jetboil and it weighs 9.0 oz. Cup w/cozy, stove, and lid.

colorado_rob
01-28-2014, 18:32
I recently found a good deal on the Ti Jetboil and have a couple of questions. If you don't carry the bottom cup, do you worry about the exposed fins on the pot (either damage to the pot or other items in your pack)?
I've noticed that the pot fits very tight on the burner. In fact, I had trouble getting it loose on my first boil in the kitchen and poured the water out. Does this loosen up or do I need to make some adjustments? BTW, I was amazed at how quickly it heated the water. I carry the stove (w/o cup), canister, my UL coffee cup, pot lid and spoon all in a 0.7 oz sil nylon sack, the pot bottom w/ fins inside basically rides in the bottom of the sack, my coffee cup fits in the pot on top of the canister and burner, w/o the lid attached (the cup sticks out), fairly overall nice and compact and the fins on the pot don't touch anything. Titanium is a tough metal anyway, even if they were exposed. That included cup weighs 1.1 ounce and is useless for me, given I carry a separate UL insulated coffee cup, 2.5 oz, heavier than the Sol Ti cup, but much better, worth the weight penalty. My pot is not overly tight on the burner, as yours apparently is; comes right off. I don't twist it much when I assemble it, just a tad.

Nooga
01-28-2014, 22:09
I carry the stove (w/o cup), canister, my UL coffee cup, pot lid and spoon all in a 0.7 oz sil nylon sack, the pot bottom w/ fins inside basically rides in the bottom of the sack, my coffee cup fits in the pot on top of the canister and burner, w/o the lid attached (the cup sticks out), fairly overall nice and compact and the fins on the pot don't touch anything. Titanium is a tough metal anyway, even if they were exposed. That included cup weighs 1.1 ounce and is useless for me, given I carry a separate UL insulated coffee cup, 2.5 oz, heavier than the Sol Ti cup, but much better, worth the weight penalty. My pot is not overly tight on the burner, as yours apparently is; comes right off. I don't twist it much when I assemble it, just a tad.

Thanks for the input. May I ask what UL insulated coffee cup you carry? I think I need to work on the fit between the cup and burner as it is very tight.

nu2hike
01-28-2014, 23:37
Nooga, I've read many reviews on the Jetboil and it seems that the problem you're experiencing removing the pot from the burner is a fairly common with the ti Sol. No idea why but it doesn't seem to be a problem with the aluminum Sol.

HooKooDooKu
01-29-2014, 01:05
I've noticed that the pot fits very tight on the burner. In fact, I had trouble getting it loose on my first boil in the kitchen and poured the water out. Does this loosen up or do I need to make some adjustments?
I've got the Aluminum Sol and the pot fits pretty tight to the burner there as well (don't know how tight compared to the Ti). I've just learned to NOT tighten the pot to the stove too much... basically set it down and turn it just enough to grab so that the pot holds on to the stove, but still doesn't take too much to untwist and lift.

Nooga
01-29-2014, 13:32
Nooga, I've read many reviews on the Jetboil and it seems that the problem you're experiencing removing the pot from the burner is a fairly common with the ti Sol. No idea why but it doesn't seem to be a problem with the aluminum Sol.

I wonder if I could polish the Ti to loosen it up? I'm reluctant start bending the Ti.

q-tip
01-30-2014, 11:08
You might take a look at the Soto Stoves---2.5 oz. and used with the Olicamp Pot which saves 40% of fuel (my test), it seems to be a good alternative.

Nooga
01-30-2014, 11:39
You might take a look at the Soto Stoves---2.5 oz. and used with the Olicamp Pot which saves 40% of fuel (my test), it seems to be a good alternative.

The Olicamp Pot does look interesting. Does it have the heat exchanger fins, similar to the Jetboil? Wonder if it would work on other canister stoves?

HooKooDooKu
01-30-2014, 18:06
Was nobody looking when I already pointed out the Olicamp? I've already said you could par the XTS pot with the Snow Peak MaxLite and match (if not beat) the weight of the aluminum Sol.

However, you do have to make sure you are looking at the Olicamp XTS. They also make a similar sized pot that does not include the heat exchanger fins that sells for less. So if you find an Olicamp pot some place like eBay for any significant price below $25, make sure it's the XTS.

Nooga
01-30-2014, 19:55
Was nobody looking when I already pointed out the Olicamp? I've already said you could par the XTS pot with the Snow Peak MaxLite and match (if not beat) the weight of the aluminum Sol.

However, you do have to make sure you are looking at the Olicamp XTS. They also make a similar sized pot that does not include the heat exchanger fins that sells for less. So if you find an Olicamp pot some place like eBay for any significant price below $25, make sure it's the XTS.

My apology HooKooDooKu. I saw your post about the Olicamp, but failed to realize that it was a similar design as the JebBoil. For me, this may be a good option, as I have a Snow Peak stove

CarlZ993
01-30-2014, 21:07
I previously posted a test boil scenario w/ a JetBoil Ti stove in 'ideal' conditions (moderate temps & little to no wind). I was able to boil 2 cups of tap water a total of 27 times before running out of fuel (110 gr canister). Pretty efficient.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?99186-JetBoil-Sol-Ti-Boil-Test-(w-110-gr-canister)&highlight=jetboil

pawlinghiker
01-30-2014, 21:58
I have a Sol Alu and I have noticed that the cup and stove become difficult to separate after a boil.

I have concluded that this is from the heating process

try to join them then separate them before a boil, notice how easy they come apart

now do a boil and notice they stick. I only twist a tiny bit and they still stick ... a small inconvenience for what the JB brings to the table .. literally

Nooga
02-01-2014, 16:30
I previously posted a test boil scenario w/ a JetBoil Ti stove in 'ideal' conditions (moderate temps & little to no wind). I was able to boil 2 cups of tap water a total of 27 times before running out of fuel (110 gr canister). Pretty efficient.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?99186-JetBoil-Sol-Ti-Boil-Test-(w-110-gr-canister)&highlight=jetboil

I wonder how this fuel consumption compares to the Olicamp XTX pot and a Snowpeak stove?

Starchild
02-01-2014, 17:50
I wonder how this fuel consumption compares to the Olicamp XTX pot and a Snowpeak stove?

It would most likely be similar, I do lump those types of pots with heat fins together as high efficiency pots.

CarlZ993
02-02-2014, 00:04
I'll tell my wife that I had to buy the Olicamp XTX pot for scientific purposes. Think she'll buy that logic? I doubt it. :)

G2outdoors
02-06-2014, 11:34
I picked up a JetBoil for Christmas but I've yet to try it out. What are some modifications/tinkerings you guys are doing to make the JB a little more UL? It seems pretty obvious to me that I don't need the stabilizer thingamajiggy...just look for level ground. Are you keeping the sleeve/cozy on the pot? I also like to have a cup so I can drink my coffee and still boil water. Is the cup that comes with it acceptable? I could easily make a Reflectix cozy for it that would probably work pretty well at keeping the coffee hot.

I'll still use my alcy setup for short hikes/overnights but after a 7 day wilderness hike with only the alcy stove, I'm sold on the benefits/convenience of the JB.

CalebJ
02-06-2014, 11:36
I just picked up an Olicamp pot the other day based on this thread and am using it with a Snowpeak Giga. I'll try to do a few test boils to see how much fuel it requires.

Starchild
02-06-2014, 11:48
What are some modifications/tinkerings you guys are doing to make the JB a little more UL?

I just use it w/o the accessories, Just the stove, pot and lid, yes with the cozy, it is helpful. I've heard of some people finding a lighter lid, and removing the orange plastic part of the stove (though that makes it wobble, but it doesn't fall down). I also add a rubberband that I place around the fuel and stove while they are in the pot for storage, stops rattling. Also I get the smallest fuel can, sometimes partly used and only carry one.

Something hopefully helpful for anyone using the smallest canister:
I find as a rough estimate that if you have a scale set to grams, take the small can's weight subtract 100g and that is the % fuel remaining (with a small safety factor), by moving the decimal one place you get the number of liters you can boil.

So if the fuel weighs 183 g it means there is apx 83% left of fuel, so enough to boil 8.3 liters. This way you can really get full use out of those things.

G2outdoors
02-06-2014, 12:06
Good to know Starchild. Thanks.

HooKooDooKu
02-06-2014, 12:40
What are some modifications/tinkerings you guys are doing to make the JB a little more UL? It seems pretty obvious to me that I don't need the stabilizer thingamajiggy...just look for level ground. Are you keeping the sleeve/cozy on the pot?
You pretty much HAVE to have the sleeve/cozy because that's where your handle is to pick the pot up. Even then, the sleeve is so thin you have to be careful about burning yourself. So if you remove the sleeve, you've got to add some sort of a pot lifter back to the system... because it ain't going to be your bare hands when you've just boiled some water (the pot is going to be 212º just like the water).

Nodust
02-07-2014, 17:55
I just use it w/o the accessories, Just the stove, pot and lid, yes with the cozy, it is helpful. I've heard of some people finding a lighter lid, and removing the orange plastic part of the stove (though that makes it wobble, but it doesn't fall down). I also add a rubberband that I place around the fuel and stove while they are in the pot for storage, stops rattling. Also I get the smallest fuel can, sometimes partly used and only carry one.

Something hopefully helpful for anyone using the smallest canister:
I find as a rough estimate that if you have a scale set to grams, take the small can's weight subtract 100g and that is the % fuel remaining (with a small safety factor), by moving the decimal one place you get the number of liters you can boil.

So if the fuel weighs 183 g it means there is apx 83% left of fuel, so enough to boil 8.3 liters. This way you can really get full use out of those things.
Good thinking. I need to weigh some partial cans I have.

norts
02-07-2014, 21:03
I use the JB Sol, a few things come to mind:
The plastic cup breaks very easily, dont rely on it as a your cup, mine is held together with tape.
Most of the time I dont disconnect the pot from the burner when pouring water so dont have to worry about it being too tight. I do carry a titanium mug and bowl.
I do carry the stabilizer, it helps keep everything tight when packed in the pot. I do alot of cooking in my vestibule so I am not going to risk the stove tipping.
Also check the warranty on the Sol Ti - it is now void if you do anything other than heat water. So dont cook in it quote from website- "FOR FAST AND EFFICIENT WATER BOILING ONLY" I returned my Sol Ti because I need it to melt snow and sometimes to cook in.

Roger

kennyxedge
02-11-2014, 09:09
I have a Jetboil and had a canister (whatever size fits into the Jetboil cup) of fuel last me 48 days. Granted I was cooking once a day, bringing the water to a boil and generally shutting it off once whatever I was cooking was added to the water. I personally love it. Super quick, packs down small, easy to clean. Zero complaints.