PDA

View Full Version : Planning a thru-hike (2015 or2016)

Graven
01-28-2014, 01:26
I am planning on thru-hiking the AT in 2015 or 2016 (depending on how the timing of life works out). This list below is my current gear list. Anything I should add, change or get rid of? Would appreciate some other opinions. Thank you!

By the way, I would start around late march as a north-bounder.

On my person:
Brooks Cascadia 9
Smart Wool Light hiking socks
EMS convertible pants
SS Underarmour shirt

Pack/tent/sleeping:
Osprey Aether 70L Medium
Sea to Summit Large pack cover
MSR Hubba Hubba Tent
MSR Hubba Hubba Footprint
REI Lumen 25 Long
Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite liner
Sea to Summit 20L Compression Sack for Sleeping bag
Cheapy foam sleeping pad

Clothing:
Sea to summit 9L Stuff Sack
Marmot Precip rain jacket
EMS Titan Pullover synthetic jacket
EMS Techwick lightweight base layer top
Marmot Shadows beanie
Reebok 7” running shorts (for bed)
2 pairs of Smart wool light hiking socks (one pair only for bed)
SS synthetic shirt (for bed)

Eating/drinking:
Food Bag Sea to Summit 13L dry bag
Sea to Summit Alpha Lite spork
Snow Peak trek 700 ti
Sponge/towel
Alcohol stove
Fuel bottle
Bear line
2 – 1 L Smart Water bottles
3L Platypus
Sawyer Mini water filter

MISC:
Pen/journal
Cut off water bottle for scoop
Bag Liner (trash compactor bag)
Toothbrush/paste
First Aid Kit/Toilet paper
2 lighters/ Duct Tape
Multi-tool
Bandana
Headlamp
iPhone/charger

Graven
01-28-2014, 01:28
I forgot to mention my base weight. It is a little under 18 pounds.

Siarl
01-28-2014, 02:24
I am also planning my thru-hike as a NOBO beginning in March as well. Right now I'm just mining the web, WB, youtube and anyother resources for info and gear reviews etc. It will also depend on whether I can get the time off. I'm crossing my fingers. Good luck.

Blissful
01-28-2014, 15:57
You're carrying an awfully big tent...and heavy.
Replace footprint with a piece of tyvek
Same with backpack - big and heavy
You need an insulated jacket.
Make sure you budget for shoes. You'll need three pair at least, four is better. Also insoles
I'd take mid weight long underwear. It's cold until early May in many places
Maps, At guidebook

4shot
01-28-2014, 20:16
Would appreciate some other opinions. Thank you!

If you have that much time prior to your thru hike attempt, go spend a week or two or three on the trail this summer in the midst of the "thruhiker bubble". will give you a chance to try your gear and talk to people, and see what they carry. You can tweak it some next fall/winter on cool/cold weather trips.

Graven
01-28-2014, 20:53
You're carrying an awfully big tent...and heavy.
Replace footprint with a piece of tyvek
Same with backpack - big and heavy
You need an insulated jacket.
Make sure you budget for shoes. You'll need three pair at least, four is better. Also insoles
I'd take mid weight long underwear. It's cold until early May in many places
Maps, At guidebook

I have been wanting to try out the tyvek.
I need a durable pack. This pack was one of the most well made and comfortable packs I have tried. So I don't mind that it is a little heavier than others.
The EMS Titan jacket is a synthetic insulated jacket. I have had it for quite some time and it works really well for me.
Thanks for the shoe tip. I'll definitely be stocking up on a few pair of trail runners for the hike.
I may take your advice on the midweight long underwear. thanks
I didn't include maps and guidebook in the list. But I will definitely bring an AT guidebook.
thanks for the tips

Graven
01-28-2014, 20:54
If you have that much time prior to your thru hike attempt, go spend a week or two or three on the trail this summer in the midst of the "thruhiker bubble". will give you a chance to try your gear and talk to people, and see what they carry. You can tweak it some next fall/winter on cool/cold weather trips.

That's a great idea. I hope I am able to find time for a couple week hike sooner than later.

Graven
01-28-2014, 20:55
I am also planning my thru-hike as a NOBO beginning in March as well. Right now I'm just mining the web, WB, youtube and anyother resources for info and gear reviews etc. It will also depend on whether I can get the time off. I'm crossing my fingers. Good luck.
Good luck to you as well!

Don H
01-28-2014, 21:00
If you're putting your clothes and sleeping bag in Sea to Summit dry bags you don't need a pack cover or liner.
Dry Duck rain jacket, cheap and saves you probably 6 oz.
Pair of light gloves

Looks like a well thought out list. Good Luck!

Don H
01-28-2014, 21:03
For the guide book if you get the AT Guide by Miller you can get it loose (not bound) and only take 1/4 of it at a time. I cut my book up and only carried the part I would need for the next month or so.

Graven
01-28-2014, 21:20
Forgot to mention that, yes, my tent is heavy. But the weight will be split in half since im hiking with a friend

Graven
01-28-2014, 23:48
Thank you! I appreciate your tips. I will look into the loose version of the book and the dry duck jacket

wtrenda
01-31-2014, 04:04
I, too, am planning my 2015 thru hike; however, I will be on the earlier side of March. Would love to start bouncing ideas off of the 2015 class of hikers as soon as possible. I am graduating from college in December but will be on the trail in the Smokies this March during my spring break to try out most of my equipment and begin the process of complaining about what I shouldn't have bought. Hope your planning is going well!

4shot
02-01-2014, 19:54
I am graduating from college in December but will be on the trail in the Smokies this March during my spring break to try out most of my equipment and begin the process of complaining about what I shouldn't have bought. Hope your planning is going well!

A week in the smokies in March will be a great shakedown. as far as complaining about your gear, both what you got and what you didn't get, well that is part of the process. the good thing about a 2200 mile hike, when you are done you will be most definitive about your gear (and thus won't stew over it anymore). fretting over a 'gear list' seems to be part of the whole thruhike experience for all of us.

swjohnsey
02-02-2014, 11:59
Forgot to mention that, yes, my tent is heavy. But the weight will be split in half since im hiking with a friend

Chances are one of you won't make it. Better to have seperate gear.

sadlowskiadam
02-02-2014, 12:35
I am planning on thru-hiking the AT in 2015 or 2016 (depending on how the timing of life works out). This list below is my current gear list. Anything I should add, change or get rid of? Would appreciate some other opinions. Thank you!

By the way, I would start around late march as a north-bounder.

On my person:
Brooks Cascadia 9
Smart Wool Light hiking socks
EMS convertible pants
SS Underarmour shirt

Pack/tent/sleeping:
Osprey Aether 70L Medium
Sea to Summit Large pack cover
MSR Hubba Hubba Tent
MSR Hubba Hubba Footprint
REI Lumen 25 Long
Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite liner
Sea to Summit 20L Compression Sack for Sleeping bag
Cheapy foam sleeping pad

Clothing:
Sea to summit 9L Stuff Sack
Marmot Precip rain jacket
EMS Titan Pullover synthetic jacket
EMS Techwick lightweight base layer top
Marmot Shadows beanie
Reebok 7” running shorts (for bed)
2 pairs of Smart wool light hiking socks (one pair only for bed)
SS synthetic shirt (for bed)

Eating/drinking:
Food Bag Sea to Summit 13L dry bag
Sea to Summit Alpha Lite spork
Snow Peak trek 700 ti
Sponge/towel
Alcohol stove
Fuel bottle
Bear line
2 – 1 L Smart Water bottles
3L Platypus
Sawyer Mini water filter

MISC:
Pen/journal
Cut off water bottle for scoop
Bag Liner (trash compactor bag)
Toothbrush/paste
First Aid Kit/Toilet paper
2 lighters/ Duct Tape
Multi-tool
Bandana
Headlamp
iPhone/charger

Here is a good website I used to prepare for my 2013 thru hike: http://theathiker.com/

Best of luck,
Counselor

Siarl
02-02-2014, 14:01
Here is a good website I used to prepare for my 2013 thru hike: http://theathiker.com/

Best of luck,
Counselor

Wow. This is a great resource. Thank you for that link!

wtrenda
02-03-2014, 15:09
I started using GearGrams as a way to keep track of all of my gear(for my thru hike and not for my thru hike). You can split your library into separate lists as a way to know what gear you need for trips big and small. Definitely helped me in realizing weights of all items so I can see what is taking up the most weight. Pretty easy way to categorize what all you have. It's also nice and easy to manipulate and customize how you organize your stuff.

fredmugs
02-04-2014, 18:49
I've never had a pack cover that protected my pack in a big rain. I use a GoLite poncho/tarp now and there are others options available.

Sierra2015
02-05-2014, 00:23

Best of luck,
Counselor
Best. Link. Ever.

HikerMom58
02-05-2014, 20:59
Bump........ http://theathiker.com/ This is a good link!

Prime Time
02-06-2014, 10:21
A mistake I made was to buy 2 extra pairs of shoes so my wife could just pop them in the mail when I decided I needed them. It turns out that my feet actually became almost a full size larger during the hike and although I had hiked in this brand and make for more than 5 years, I didn't like them on my thru hike. 20 mile days each and every day is very different from occasional day hikes and short trips where your feet get to recover between hikes. In my case it turned out that the gore tex in my shoes was causing sweating and holding in moisture which caused blisters to form and never heal. I'd recommend you replace shoes on the fly and not "stock up" beforehand.

scouthawk
04-23-2014, 22:23
Do you think the large sea to summit pack cover fits your Aether 70L well? It it tight or loose? Catch wind? Trying to decide between medium and large.

Graven
05-03-2014, 17:36
Do you think the large sea to summit pack cover fits your Aether 70L well? It it tight or loose? Catch wind? Trying to decide between medium and large.

Depends on how much gear I have. But I like the large because I use it as a water barrier for when I leave my pack in the vestibule of my tent. If I'm carrying a close to full pack,it could be tighter, yes. But it doesn't bother me.