PDA

View Full Version : Best mp3 player?

dustinpn
01-28-2014, 01:30
So what is the lightest and longest lasting mp3 player out right now? I like the shuffle, but 15 hrs just is not enough. The ipod nano is about double that which is better, but I still feel like there should be something longer lasting and lighter.

Any recommendations?

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 02:49
Here's what's best for me: compact(they all are these days so that's a gimme), cheap(under $40, I now have one that's under $20 that I first bought several yrs ago when it first came out on the electronic's scene selling for $130), holds about 2000-4000 songs(I'm not looking to bring every damn song I ever heard or have on my at home music collection on a hike), no cables(USB pop out is fine for removing/downloading songs), AAA battery compatability which matches the same AAA Energizer Ulitimate Lithium batteries I use in my headlamp, no need for charging cables etc), FM(for local up to date weather reports or for hearing local stations, if I can get AM/FM that's better but not critical), not fussy if it gets some rain on it, lighted digital display, easy to operate/SIMPLE!(I'm not looking to take a high end music system on hikes/travels), and buttons that can be used while wearing thin nylon gloves. Nice to haves: audio books/language download capabilities(I brush up on other languages sometimes as a I travel/hike), simple cheap runners or work out headphones that loop over the ear(are cheap, fit comfortably(around the ear and in the ear) with in line volume switch.

Rocket Jones
01-28-2014, 07:02
+1 on the AAA battery power. I have a 'hiking' MP3 that I fill with audiobooks and podcasts.

cliffdiver
01-28-2014, 10:53
Here's what's best for me: compact(they all are these days so that's a gimme), cheap(under $40, I now have one that's under $20 that I first bought several yrs ago when it first came out on the electronic's scene selling for $130), holds about 2000-4000 songs(I'm not looking to bring every damn song I ever heard or have on my at home music collection on a hike), no cables(USB pop out is fine for removing/downloading songs), AAA battery compatability which matches the same AAA Energizer Ulitimate Lithium batteries I use in my headlamp, no need for charging cables etc), FM(for local up to date weather reports or for hearing local stations, if I can get AM/FM that's better but not critical), not fussy if it gets some rain on it, lighted digital display, easy to operate/SIMPLE!(I'm not looking to take a high end music system on hikes/travels), and buttons that can be used while wearing thin nylon gloves. Nice to haves: audio books/language download capabilities(I brush up on other languages sometimes as a I travel/hike), simple cheap runners or work out headphones that loop over the ear(are cheap, fit comfortably(around the ear and in the ear) with in line volume switch.

O.k, I'm sold...just what is the name of this mp3 player or brand. Thanks.

q-tip
01-28-2014, 11:04
Sansa Clip-1.5 oz. 15 hr battery, with memory expansion card, 4500 songs-500 albums-works great....

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 12:57
O.k, I'm sold...just what is the name of this mp3 player or brand. Thanks.

Here's a thread, it's old though, where we we're discussing Mp3 players with many of these traits. Plenty of examples were given. Check out which mp3 player models like these are still available. There aren't many that offer AAA battery powering being routinely offered in mainstream shopping venues. I've bought Sansa, RCA, and Phillips models at Wally World in the past 3 yrs for $20 and less with those features I wanted. They suited me JUST FINE. You gotta look though. A lot of them, IF you can find them, are under $30 even $20. But of course who wants to sell you something for $20 when they know most Americans are willing to spend much more than that. Some will look at you treating you with electronic frenzy disdain for seeking such passe devices though as they expect you to have to spend upwards of $20 to get a usable mp3 player or to listen to music on the trail as if something usable has to have a zillion capabilities and be the latest rage. I don't buy into the need for always having the latest greatest electronics. I question that let's see how much money I can't afford to spend hyper consumer electronics crazed spending habit. My approach is downright anti American though.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45300

cliffdiver
01-29-2014, 02:58
Thanks for the link. I guess I'll start looking in Wally World and Radio Shack. My buying habits aren't very American either. My car is 18 years old and I just bought a 28 year old VW Vanagon. I like quality, but it's got to last.

mark schofield
01-29-2014, 08:08
check out the RCA pearl.

mark schofield
01-29-2014, 09:00
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-4GB-Player-Flipout-Display/dp/B00CE3YJCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391000247&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+pearl
check out the RCA pearl.

Drybones
01-29-2014, 09:25
I took an mp3 player with me once, used it once, decided I liked the sound of silence better.

UofWHusky
01-29-2014, 17:40
I have a couple of iRulu 8GB MP3 players. They receive FM and use AAA batteries. The controls are very simple. I have mine set to playback in the same order I loaded the music. Not sure if there is another option for playback. Just checked Amazon and they don't list the 2-player package I got last year. The prices are higher than what I recall as well.

Dogwood
01-29-2014, 19:05
Good suggestions so far. I had an RCA Pearl which worked for my uses at the time. The price pts for all the models suggested are all reasonable IMO. We're often seeking features/options in electronics that are often so overkill or we're often forced by the manufacturers to except option/features which we really don't want or need so that manufacturers can sell us a higher priced item so they can profit more. They spin it on us though getting us to believe we have to have what they are selling. When we get so hung up chasing things, ESPECIALLY ELECTRONICS, we can forget the manufacturer's are pushing us to do this to be electronics geeks or electronics junkies and our choices than become driven by someone else's self serving profiting agendas(the drug dealers) than our own. Uhh, I don't totally buy into their marketing.

Dogwood
01-29-2014, 19:07
I have a couple of iRulu 8GB MP3 players. They receive FM and use AAA batteries. The controls are very simple. I have mine set to playback in the same order I loaded the music. Not sure if there is another option for playback. Just checked Amazon and they don't list the 2-player package I got last year. The prices are higher than what I recall as well.

You can still get that model for $20 and sometimes less.

Matthew82
02-10-2014, 11:02
Amazon has a aaa powered mp3 player by Colby (Discontinued and only $15 bucks) which I recently bought and after 15+ hours on a single Duracell the battery meter is reading half power. It's 2 gigs and quite light. It takes some time getting used to controls, not long, but once I did I'm finding this to be one of my favorite players I've ever bought.

dustinpn
02-20-2014, 17:17
Totally forgot about this thread. Thats for all the great suggestions.