PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle recommendation for Monson to Stratton

drifter
01-28-2014, 09:13
I'm planning on sectioning Stratton to Monson in September, would like to drop a vehicle in Monson and shuttle down to Stratton. Recommendations on where I can best leave a vehicle and contact for shuttle?

ocasey3
01-28-2014, 10:07
I don't know about a shuttle, but there is a parking area right at the trailhead in Monson, right off of ME 15.

steve0423
01-28-2014, 10:38
Talk to Rebekah at The Lakeshore House. Super nice lady, I’m sure she can take can of you. Shaw’s also does shuttles, parking, etc. I don’t have any experience at Shaw’s other than their killer breakfast. Last I knew Shaw's was for sale, assume they're still in business.

http://thelakeshorehouse.com/home

http://www.shawslodging.com/

forrest!
01-28-2014, 10:55
Did this same section 2 summers ago. I left a vehicle at Shaw's and got a shuttle from them to Stratton, then hiked back to my truck.

Forrest

Slo-go'en
01-28-2014, 14:13
Many years ago I left my car at Shaws and had his driver come pick us up at Baxter, using my car. The driver insisted on driving back to Monson and I was fearfull my car would loose a wheel or the muffler or other parts the way he was bouncing down the rutted logging road at 60 mph with my old, beat up car. I was truely amazed we made it back in one piece.

At least the path to Stratton is paved, so you don't have to worry about that :)

putts
01-28-2014, 16:16
I have left my car at Lakeshore House several times. They also arrange shuttles. Rebekah is a genuinely good person who will go above and beyond to help out hikers. I have never left a vehicle at Shaws but that seems like a good option also. I am not sure what the fee is there. At Lakeshore House the parking is basically on a half circle side road that accesses the lake, which may not be as secure as Shaws parking area, but Ive never had a problem in the ten or so times i've left my car there for a couple days or more.

On two occasions in the past 7 years I've seen evidence of a car being broken into at the Rt. 15 trailhead. Once, just shattered glass, the other time the windowless car was still there. There is a camera on top of the utility pole overlooking the parking area, and people do park there for extended times without incident, so it is fairly safe, but does unfortunately have a history.