PDA

View Full Version : Trader Joe's

kayak karl
01-28-2014, 12:52
There is a Trader Joe's in Wilmington, Delaware across the street from a new supplier I got for work. What do they sell things that you think are good to take on hiking or camping trips? Other then Cliff bars :)

TY
KK

ocasey3
01-28-2014, 12:57
There is a Trader Joe's in Wilmington, Delaware across the street from a new supplier I got for work. What do they sell things that you think are good to take on hiking or camping trips? Other then Cliff bars :)

TY
KK

We love their trail mixes and the Just Mango and Pineapple slices. The organic chocolate is pretty darn yummy too.

bamboo bob
01-28-2014, 13:00
Trader Joes really only sells trail food. we call it the snack store.

Coffee
01-28-2014, 13:03
All varieties of nuts, granola based cereal, and the cheese and pesto tortellini are my favorite TJ items for backpacking. The tortellini does require multiple reheats and waiting time in pot cozy but I really like it compared to always eating mac & cheese or ramen.

Dogwood
All Trader Joes label. Roasted coconut chips, dried mango, dried flattened nothing but bananas

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=994

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=trader+joe%27s+dried+mango&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3484356895&ref=pd_sl_1zjiet2xdk_e

http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Nothing-Banana-Flattened/dp/B008IU5QJO

GeoRed

I second that. Best meals ever have been when I did my shopping at Trader Joes before a hike.

Coffee
01-28-2014, 13:04
Also instant mashed potatoes - 2 individual bags in a box, couscous, and various quick cooking rices.

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 13:05
The mango comes in smaller packages at less cost. I usually get the flattened banana about $2.

HikerMom58
01-28-2014, 13:12
Trader Joe's is awesome... the hubby just picked up a bunch of trail food snacks for us when we hike in May.. .love it! He was in Raleigh, NC.
Roanoke is supposed to be getting a Trader Joe's in a couple of years. (rumor has it) If we do, I'll shuttle all my hiker friends there for a resupply when you come through Daleville. Good stuff!!

louisb
01-28-2014, 13:16
Guess I am not the only one who likes their dried mango snacks. Good stuff. I prefer the trail mix from Whole Paycheck, er, Whole Foods.

--louis

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 13:19
TJ's loose trail bars(singles) aren't all that hard to find elsewhere anyway although occasionally they have sales on them. If you dig Cliff Bars wally World and Target sell them SOMETIMES for 89 cts each and sometimes 3 for $2. But you'd be bettere off buying a bozx of 6 which comes out cheaper per bar.

Check out TJ's organic hot cocoa mix and all in one coffee w/ creamer w/ sugar singles packets. They might appeal to ya. TJ's also sells Edward and Sons dried Miso Soup packages and Seaweed Snacks.

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=927

http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Instant-Packets-Creamer/dp/B0078OYZWK and
http://m.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=474

http://thehungryartist.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/trader-joes-roasted-seaweed-snack-and-miso-soup/

ocasey3
01-28-2014, 13:19
I sure do wish you could order online from TJ's. The nearest store is 3 hours away in Portland. :(

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 13:25
+1 on TJ's mashed potatoes too. I'm having a harder and harder time getting single serving mashed potatoes for trail use that DO NOT contain hydrogenated oils and taste as palatable as shredded cardboard. Butter Buds dried sprinkles(available at TJs), some dried chives, and a chopped piece of fresh garlic goes a long way for me in unflavored mashed tatters. Sometimes, when having a hard time locating the Butter Buds I add EVOO an Italian herbs to the mashed tatters.

HikerMom58
01-28-2014, 13:30
Hey ya know... we should suggest, to that guy that wants to start a rolling resupply shuttle service, to stock his ride with all things Trader Joe's. Whatta you think DW, great idea?

QiWiz
01-28-2014, 13:32
They have some trail mixes that are good. Pretty sure one that I liked a lot was a "tropical" trail mix.

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 13:42
There's a trader Joes in Marlton(near the REI) I sometimes hit up before a hike. Marlton draws me in like a hoity toity yuppie New Ager - REI, EMS, Starbucks, TJs, and Whole Foods.

pipsissewa
01-28-2014, 13:53
I sure do wish you could order online from TJ's. The nearest store is 3 hours away in Portland. :(

I can't vouch for the prices compared to the bricks-and-mortar stores, but you can get many Trader Joe items HERE (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=trader+joe%27s) :D

Rocket Jones
01-28-2014, 13:57
Bulky packaging but almost weightless is a package of their dried seaweed snack sheets. Good for getting some sea veggies and minerals into your diet. I crumble them into a small ziplock and shake a little into my dinners.

googlywoogly
01-28-2014, 14:00
Best price I can find for Raw Almonds around my local.

ocasey3
01-28-2014, 14:10
I can't vouch for the prices compared to the bricks-and-mortar stores, but you can get many Trader Joe items HERE (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=trader+joe%27s) :D

I have seen their stuff on Amazon but the prices are much higher because they are not being sold by Trader Joe's. I have been tempted but I'll probably just have to deal with my withdrawal symptoms until we can get back to the store and stock up.

Old Grouse
01-28-2014, 14:19
Best price I can find for Raw Almonds around my local.

For raw almonds, try Costco if you have one near you. Trader Joes is famous for its Two Buck Chuck wine (not available in CT grocery stores). They also carry goats' milk, which my secretary says keeps her beautiful. I make a point of buying it for her when I'm there. :)

Foresight
01-28-2014, 14:45
CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid are the secret for raw almonds. At least one of the three have them BOGO monthly.

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 15:00
Bulky packaging but almost weightless is a package of their dried seaweed snack sheets. Good for getting some sea veggies and minerals into your diet. I crumble them into a small ziplock and shake a little into my dinners.

You can also get those, Annie Chun brand I think, for about $1 at wally world. I usually pay that same price for them at TJs though. YES, reduce the packaging bulk. I do the same thing - sprinkle crumbled up into meals, soups, or snack on them. I find it best to repack into a tightly sealed baggie with moisture absorption packet which they usually have inside the original packaging.

Dogwood
01-28-2014, 15:15
TJs and others have powdered Goats milk made by Meyenberg(worth a try, check it out before committing to it for trail use though as it's a flavor that's not the same as those habituated to cow's milk) and also vanilla flavored soy protein powder/milk(delish, especially in millet, amaranthe and oatmeal w dried berries and almonds/walnuts in hot b'fasts). While we're at it, and as I know so many of us are protein crazy, a good source of protein can be had by mixing in a tbsp of hemp protein powder to oatmeal, chili, mashed potatoes, and other trail dishes. TJ's sells Bob's Red Mill hemp protein poder.

78owl
01-28-2014, 17:09
ice cream

Rolls Kanardly
01-28-2014, 17:55

Try Amazon, they have TJ's stuff.

Actually I just took another look and they have a lot of TJs stuff.

14 pages of their stuff.

Good stuff too, Rolls

Feral Bill
01-28-2014, 20:11
1/2 Kilo chocolate bars. Dark, with almonds.

Bati
01-28-2014, 20:29
Don't miss the meat- you can get buffalo jerky (and other flavors), as well as sausages that don't need refrigeration. Many hard cheeses will keep for a long time. Add a box of couscous, some liquid bullion cubes (individually packaged), hard crackers. granola, tea bags, and peanut butter to the previously mentioned items like nuts and energy bars and you're almost packed. You can sometimes pick up some items like smaller tubes of hand lotion if you need to restock.

They also have heavy foods that you can eat on your way out of town, like apples, cucumbers, and peanut butter filled pretzels though I doubt there's many TJ's next to the trail to make these worth while for most backpackers. But since I started shopping there several times a week (it's close enough to walk to, and I love cutting through the woods to get there before crossing a busy highway), I've discovered that they have almost everything you need if you "shop the perimeter, not just the aisle".

Bati
01-28-2014, 20:30
I forgot to mention the fruit leather- the ends and pieces are one of the best deals going.

bigcranky
01-28-2014, 20:58

Yeah, this. I can do pretty much all my trail food shopping at TJ's. Love that place.

MommaDuck
01-28-2014, 21:11
love the dried mango also! and other dried fruit and nuts. just opened a new TJs in Asheville!

ladytaz
01-28-2014, 21:16
love the dried mango also! and other dried fruit and nuts. just opened a new TJs in Asheville!

oh yeah!!!!! I have made several trips there already, its always so busy. We had to park across the street at Harris Teeter last time we were there, the lot was full

Another Kevin
01-28-2014, 21:29
The 'just add water' mixes (various scones, muffins, cakes). Pack 3/4 cup or so of mix in a Ziploc. On trail add just enough water to moisten the mix. Cut (or bite) a corner off the Ziploc and squeeze into three foil muffin cups. Steam 15-20 minutes in a Fauxbaker (can be done with an ounce of alcohol if you have a stove that can simmer, or boil the water and then simmer with a tea light). Fresh hot muffins on the trail.

aficion
01-28-2014, 21:30
I am usually a raw almond eater. Howsoevermoreanyway.... the "Roasted and salted Marcona Almonds with Rosemary" blow raw almonds completely away. Seriously...you should try some...unless of course you do hate rosemary...in which case....nevermind.

Papa D
01-28-2014, 21:58
If you can find a trader joes for a re-supply, go for it - - lots of great instant coffee choices, chocolate nuts, deals on cliff bars, dried fruit, nuts, very decent mac and cheese, cheap box wine, pretty much hiker re-supply gold

MommaDuck
01-29-2014, 22:27
oh yeah!!!!! I have made several trips there already, its always so busy. We had to park across the street at Harris Teeter last time we were there, the lot was full

I have to do that every time I go there too! So worth it tho. Getting ready to shop there before I hit the trail!

rocketsocks
01-29-2014, 22:49
I like there dried Wasabi Peas...there addicting.

LIhikers
01-30-2014, 00:54
Peanut butter at TJ's is very good!

Dogwood
01-30-2014, 02:21
I am usually a raw almond eater. Howsoevermoreanyway.... the "Roasted and salted Marcona Almonds with Rosemary" blow raw almonds completely away. Seriously...you should try some...unless of course you do hate rosemary...in which case....nevermind.

+1 Those are so good.

Mags
01-30-2014, 09:56
A TJs is opening up in Boulder in two weeks on Valentine's Day. I know many people are just chomping at the bit to shop there. Mrs Mags is esp excited. TJs is owned by a German grocery store chain and they stock items typically only found back home for her.

I already told her I am avoiding the place like the plague for the first few months as I can only imagine the crowds. Myself and crowded, congested areas don't mix well. :)

rocketsocks
01-30-2014, 10:49
A TJs is opening up in Boulder in two weeks on Valentine's Day. I know many people are just chomping at the bit to shop there. Mrs Mags is esp excited. TJs is owned by a German grocery store chain and they stock items typically only found back home for her.

I already told her I am avoiding the place like the plague for the first few months as I can only imagine the crowds. Myself and crowded, congested areas don't mix well. :)
They pass out mini shots of coffee...makes shopping fun. Not a cheap store though, I like there fresh Tortillas as well.

...but yeah bring your elbow pads, ours is always mobbed.

bigcranky
01-30-2014, 14:02
TJs opened here this past summer. It was wall-to-wall crowded the first couple of months. Still that way on weekends and after work, but I like to do my grocery shopping early in the morning on Saturday or (especially) Sunday, and the place is empty.

Let me add a plug for their dried mandarin oranges -- those things are like crack.

rocketsocks
01-30-2014, 14:28
Let me add a plug for their dried mandarin oranges -- those things are like crack.ooh...I gotta try them.

Blissful
01-30-2014, 15:20
Love Trader Joes!! Prices are good, lots of fruits, nuts, bars, assorted munchie items, etc. also like gong to the Mennonite stores here - they sell lots of trial mix items, couscous, soups, etc.

aficion
01-30-2014, 17:42
TJs opened here this past summer. It was wall-to-wall crowded the first couple of months. Still that way on weekends and after work, but I like to do my grocery shopping early in the morning on Saturday or (especially) Sunday, and the place is empty.

Let me add a plug for their dried mandarin oranges -- those things are like crack.

Amen on Sunday morning before church.

When the gates swing wide on the other side
Just beyond the sunset sea
There'll be room to spare as we enter there
Room for you and room for me
For the gates are wide on the other side
Where the flowers ever bloom
On the right hand, on the left hand
Fifty miles of elbow room:D

rickb
01-30-2014, 17:57
Love Trader Joes!! Prices are good, lots of fruits, nuts, bars, assorted munchie items, etc. also like gong to the Mennonite stores here - they sell lots of trial mix items, couscous, soups, etc.

If you are ever in the Boston area, Trader Joe's former president is opening a grocery store to sell food that has passed it's expiration date. I think there is going to be restaurant, too.

aficion
01-30-2014, 18:10
Amen on Sunday morning before church.

When the gates swing wide on the other side
Just beyond the sunset sea
There'll be room to spare as we enter there
Room for you and room for me
For the gates are wide on the other side
Where the flowers ever bloom
On the right hand, on the left hand
Fifty miles of elbow room:D

oops ..forgot attribution to The Carter Sisters/Family

bigcranky
01-31-2014, 09:59
I reallty like Iris Dement's version of that song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjRFhQmfWo8).

rocketsocks
01-31-2014, 10:34
oops ..forgot attribution to The Carter Sisters/Family

I reallty like Iris Dement's version of that song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjRFhQmfWo8).
I have seen and I like both of those.

Old Grouse
01-31-2014, 12:39
I have seen and I like both of those.

Or the Red Clay Ramblers' version.

aficion
01-31-2014, 13:00
Or the Red Clay Ramblers' version.

They go way back with the Carter's apparently. First time I heard the song was on a Red Clay Ramblers album in the mid 70s. Really loved it on first hearing and still do.:)

Plenty of elbow room at Trader Joe's Winston-Salem this past Sunday morning at 10:00.

bigcranky
01-31-2014, 19:23
Plenty of elbow room at Trader Joe's Winston-Salem this past Sunday morning at 10:00.

That's when we usually go to TJs in Winston-Salem. I don't like crowds :)

Kraken Skullz
02-27-2014, 10:27
Uhh. Nobody has mentioned 2 Buck Chuck?! You can get bottles of wine for $2. Not sure about the rest of you but I buy cases of this stuff.

Lone Wolf
02-27-2014, 10:34
Uhh. Nobody has mentioned 2 Buck Chuck?! You can get bottles of wine for $2. Not sure about the rest of you but I buy cases of this stuff.

actually it's $2.99 now

Mags
02-27-2014, 10:42
Well, Mrs Mags has been there three-times since they opened up two weeks ago. Chocolate was one of the first things she bought! Mind you her mother sends us chocolate straight from Germany. :) As my Dad told me on my wedding day "You can be right or you can be happy". ...I did not mention the chocolate. No sir.

I have yet to go to TJ.

Alas, no two buck chuck. Colorado's liquor laws allow only one store in a chain to sell liquor. So, one Costco in Denver sells wine. One Target in Denver. And a sole Whole Food liquor store in Boulder. And TJ has chosen Denver to sell two buck chuck.

The Mom and Pop liquor store lobby is quite strong here. We only have Sunday liquor sales starting ~ five years ago because it was threatened to allow chain store liquor sales. Sunday liquor sales was the compromise.

This east coast transplant has a tinge of nostalgia for this store opening in Boulder next week. (http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_25225878) :)

Lone Wolf
02-27-2014, 11:13
This east coast transplant has a tinge of nostalgia for this store opening in Boulder next week. (http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_25225878) :)
finally got one here in Virginia 9 miles from Damascus about a year and a half ago

Kraken Skullz
02-27-2014, 12:03
actually it's $2.99 now

Still $2.99 is an excellent price for a decent wine.

Venchka
02-27-2014, 13:51
I haven't been to TJ's since I moved closer. REI is on the way and well...
Mrs. Wayne is coming to Houston next month & I'm sure that we will get to TJ's. She won't let me be distracted by REI.
In the meantime, Sprout's Farmers Market has a very well stocked bulk section where you can build your own trail/backpacking eats.
Alas, I really miss a really good shrimp po-boy.

Wayne

Lone Wolf
02-27-2014, 14:02
Still $2.99 is an excellent price for a decent wine.

agree. i bought some Chuck in Asheville last month

Mags
02-27-2014, 15:34
I should add that Whole Foods sells an obvious competitor for two buck chuck called "Three Wishes". With taxes, it is just over $3 a bottle. The Merlot is not a bad table wine. The Cab Sav is "meh" and the white is pretty decent.

For $3 a bottle, it is priced quite nicely.

Drybones
02-27-2014, 16:43

What is it... Ripple, Red Roaster, Thunderbird, MD 20/20?

Lone Wolf
02-27-2014, 17:39
Well, Mrs Mags has been there three-times since they opened up two weeks ago. Chocolate was one of the first things she bought! Mind you her mother sends us chocolate straight from Germany. :) As my Dad told me on my wedding day "You can be right or you can be happy". ...I did not mention the chocolate. No sir.

I have yet to go to TJ.

Alas, no two buck chuck. Colorado's liquor laws allow only one store in a chain to sell liquor. So, one Costco in Denver sells wine. One Target in Denver. And a sole Whole Food liquor store in Boulder. And TJ has chosen Denver to sell two buck chuck.

The Mom and Pop liquor store lobby is quite strong here. We only have Sunday liquor sales starting ~ five years ago because it was threatened to allow chain store liquor sales. Sunday liquor sales was the compromise.

speakin' of RI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MuSguCREE