PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Tent Notch ?'s

nu2hike
01-28-2014, 14:50
I currently own a BA Copper Spur 2. I love this tent but I would prefer something not onlylighter but less bulky to pack for solo hiking!
I was considering the Copper Spur 1 but to be honest there's not that much of a weight savings between the two! ( I compared weights with my CS 2 to a friends CS 1) approx 10 oz. and little to no difference in packed size!
I am considering the Notch for greater weight savings and less bulk. For those of you who own this tent could you give me some feedback on this tent? I'm particularly interested in interior space and vestibul space, ease of setup and stability!
I occasionally hike with my dog ( med size 22lb mutt). Would there be enough room to accommodate him?
Also is the partial solid interior worth the investment along with the net interior?
thanks

Drybones
01-28-2014, 15:07
I have a notch with about 1200 miles on it and couldn't be happier with it. Shouldn't be a problem sleeping with a 22 lb pup but not larger. Put a carbiner on your pack and an 8" or so cord with a loop on each end on the tip of your hiking pole when you set the tent up and hang your pack under the vestibule, you have easy access to everything and the pack is off the ground. Set up and take down are easier and faster than any other tent I've seen.

Praha4
01-28-2014, 16:17
nu2hike: the TT Notch is a great shelter with lots of flexibility. I have a TT Notch, purchased in 2012, that I'm selling. It's in excellent condition, already seam sealed, used no more than 2 weeks on the trail. No rips, no tears, zippers in like new condition. Comes with original Easton tent stakes and stuffsacks. The Notch is selling for $275 new. I'll sell this one for $200, plus USPS mail shipping charges to your location. Let me know, I have not yet posted it on the board. Payment by paypal.

Shae
01-28-2014, 16:49
Love my Notch. Great packed size and light. Very easy and quick set up. I'm a pretty big guy so I can't really picture a dog in there with me but plenty long enough so I suppose he/she at only 22 lbs could be at your head or your feet. +1 on the suggestion to hang your pack under the vestibule from your hiking pole tip. Good luck.

nu2hike
01-28-2014, 20:10
Could you post a picture of how you hang your pack? I'm having difficulty visualizing it!

nu2hike
01-28-2014, 20:11
Praha4 PM sent

Drybones
01-28-2014, 21:26
Could you post a picture of how you hang your pack? I'm having difficulty visualizing it!

The tent has two doors, hang the pack at one and use the other to go in and out.

Drybones
01-28-2014, 21:31
Love my Notch. Great packed size and light. Very easy and quick set up. I'm a pretty big guy so I can't really picture a dog in there with me but plenty long enough so I suppose he/she at only 22 lbs could be at your head or your feet. +1 on the suggestion to hang your pack under the vestibule from your hiking pole tip. Good luck.

I'd put the pup in the V at the door. I slept with a 108 lb doberman in a Eureka Spifire 1....I'd have no problems with a 22 lb pup in the Notch.

Mobius
01-28-2014, 21:32
I hang my pack similarly. I just put the lifter strap on the trekking pole basket. The back is almost always nearly empty by the time I get to hanging it. It's nice to keep it out of the dirt/mud.

Praha4
01-29-2014, 21:19
fwiw, that TT Notch that I mentioned has been SOLD.

q-tip
01-30-2014, 11:04
If it is a little tight, you might consider the TT Contrail- lots more interior space with no weight penalty...just a thought....

nu2hike
01-30-2014, 14:35
I went with the Notch. Can't wait to try it out!
Thanks Drybones for the photo of your pack hanging off the pole.
I don't like putting the handles go my poles on the ground. They have cork handles. I think I will order the pole handle adapters.
Considering ordering a pole support (1) for emergencies in case I break a trekking pole! It will add 2oz to the weight. Is this worthwhile or just paranoia on my part?

Mobius
01-30-2014, 14:50
I don't like putting the handles go my poles on the ground. They have cork handles. I think I will order the pole handle adapters.
Considering ordering a pole support (1) for emergencies in case I break a trekking pole! It will add 2oz to the weight. Is this worthwhile or just paranoia on my part?

I have cork handles and thus far they haven't been damaged or otherwise fouled up from being on the ground. You can always tuck a rock, plastic bag, cut off from a ground cloth under them if you want. Regarding the backup pole, I suppose it depends on your hiking poles. Mine are aluminum and (based on personal experience) tend to bend, not break when put under extreme duress. Even bent it still worked fine for the tent. Worst case: find a stick, though I suppose that also depends on where you are hiking. I realize some parts of the country don't have sticks.

Drybones
01-30-2014, 15:02

I dont believe you'll regret your choice. If you have a pack with a pocket in back (and I wouldn't have one without it), you can put your tent in the pocket so if it's raining you dont have to open your pack to set up your tent, same if you're breaking camp, pack everything up inside your tent except the tent then slide it into the pocket last...hope that makes sense...attached photo shows the Notch, and a bunch of other stuff, in my pack pocket.

nu2hike
01-30-2014, 15:38
Makes perfect sense Drybones!
My poles are aluminum also. Hadn't thought about them bending rather than breaking!

Drybones
01-30-2014, 21:00
Makes perfect sense Drybones!
My poles are aluminum also. Hadn't thought about them bending rather than breaking!

My poles have been straightened a few times but still going. BTW, I spent 4 glorious year at Starkville, D.D. Lewis and Clyde Q. Sheely were the big men campus back then.

LuckyMan
02-01-2014, 12:23
You asked about ease of setup - it's a snap! It really is as quick and simple as the video on HS's website shows. I had been looking at a tent with all kinds of guylines and am glad I went with the Notch instead. And no problems so far with stability.