PDA

View Full Version : Possible opening of a Hiker Hostel for AT Hikers. Give me your thoughts.

Falcon
01-28-2014, 18:02
I started section hiking the AT four years ago and have made it to just north of Damascus, Va. I have now retired from 36 years in education as a teacher, coach and high school principal in Georgia. While hiking I have stayed in a couple of hostels and thoroughly enjoyed it. I grew up in Rabun County, Ga. and own an old house in Clayton, Ga. that would make a perfect seasonal hiker hostel. I would need to shuttle hikers from the trail crossing at Highway 76 (Dicks Creek) to Clayton (13 miles). I would like to know your thoughts and feedback if you were thru/section hiking on the AT, would a hostel in Clayton, Ga. be a location that you might want to stay and resupply? Please give me you honest feedback and opinion. Thanks!

BuckeyeBill
01-28-2014, 18:42
What other amenities are offered in Clayton (I.e. restaurants, Grocery stores etc.)? Sounds like you are willing to do what ever it takes to get us to your hostel, but it would nice to know what else we have to look forward too.

Falcon
01-28-2014, 20:52
Main Street of Clayton is literally 75 yards from my front porch, where there are restaurants, shops, stores, etc. There are also within short walking distance a Pizza Hut, Burger King, Chik-fil-a, Taco Bell, Ingles Grocery, Wendy's, McDonald's, Chinese Buffet, Checker's, Zaxby's and a laundromat. About 2 miles away is a Walmart and Home Depot. In my opinion Clayton would a great hiker friendly town.

HikerMom58
01-28-2014, 21:21
I'm not a thru-hiker but I think it sounds PERFECT! :) I looked at that area in the book. Looks like it would be a good resupply stop.

Yes, I would say go for it! :)

kayak karl
01-28-2014, 21:40
have you checked the legal (permit) aspect of it. as a contractor i was always wondering how strict they are in the south. thought of driving up and down trail doing work on hostels :)
good luck with your venture.

Semodex
01-28-2014, 21:46
We live in Cleveland. Clayton does have a nice feel to it...seems laid back. Love, love, love the art gallery downtown.

Falcon
01-28-2014, 22:15
As far as legal ramifications, all I need to do is obtain a local business license and a permit to operate as a seasonal bed & breakfast.

Jeff
01-29-2014, 09:24
That road crossing has Hiawassee to the west and Clayton to the east. Hiawassee had the Blueberry Patch Hostel with very limited occupancy (10 hikers I believe), Ron Haven has the Budget Inn ($39.95/room), the Holiday Inn Express, etc.

Even with that being said, there is still a need for a reasonably priced hostel in the area during the months of March and April.

You need to figure out your policy on shuttling since you could be spending alot of time behind the wheel. Hikers can of course hitch into your place, but are you returning them to the trail several times each morning?

HikerMom58
01-29-2014, 09:44
After reading Jeff's comment, I had this thought- If it were me, I would be inclined not advertize my place in the book. I would start by word of mouth until you figure out if you really enjoy doing this sort of thing. Kinda like doing a few shakedown hikes to determine if you would like to attempt a thru-hike. :)

Falcon
01-29-2014, 09:53
I appreciate all of your suggestions and input. My initial thoughts are to only provide bunks, towels and shower/bathroom. No Smoking, no alcohol at the hostel because within 200 yards are 3 bars/restaurants available. I thought I would shuttle once or twice a day, morning and afternoon to the trail head. Cost for a nights stay would be in the $15-$20 range.

HikerMom58
01-29-2014, 10:00
Sounds reasonable.. good move on providing towels, IMHO. :) I heard that 4 Pines Hostel, near me in Catawba VA, doesn't provide towels.

Tuckahoe
01-29-2014, 10:10
Falcon, I personally would suggest also not allowing drunkenness/public intoxication. In a communal bunk room or living space there is nothing more unpleasant than that dunken a$$ hole who ends up making everyone else's stay miserable.

perrymk
01-29-2014, 10:40
Perhaps offer additional shuttles for an additional fee to give late starters an option.

max patch
01-29-2014, 11:09
Back in the day hikers used to stay in hotels in Clayton (is the Heart of Rabun still around?) so I don't see why a hostel wouldn't work. You have a choice between a $40 hotel in Hiawassee and a $20 hostel in Clayton and I think there is a market for both.

Both Rons hotel and the Blueberry Patch have a specific time for a free pick-up which you would also need to do. Are you close to the PO? If not, then a daily trip there would also probably be necessary.

Falcon
01-29-2014, 11:16
I am only 2 blocks from the Clayton Post Office. Mail drops would be easily accessible.

Mtn Scout
02-10-2014, 17:18
I think its a great location. If ran the right way I think it would benefit hikers as well as yourself. I think you will get more business by "word of mouth" traffic more than anything. If someone enjoys the stay at your hostel they will tell two people. If they have a bad encounter with your hostel they will tell ten people. So, given the location and the ideas you shared I think it's a great idea and one of those things you never know until you try! Good luck, look forward to seeing it in the future.!

canoe
02-10-2014, 17:36
SOunds like a nice plan. If you dont know it yet there is a new hostel a very short walk from the trail at dicks creek. Not in town but right on the trail. It will be opening in the spring called Top of GA I think. Good luck.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2014, 18:40
I started section hiking the AT four years ago and have made it to just north of Damascus, Va. I have now retired from 36 years in education as a teacher, coach and high school principal in Georgia. While hiking I have stayed in a couple of hostels and thoroughly enjoyed it. I grew up in Rabun County, Ga. and own an old house in Clayton, Ga. that would make a perfect seasonal hiker hostel. I would need to shuttle hikers from the trail crossing at Highway 76 (Dicks Creek) to Clayton (13 miles). I would like to know your thoughts and feedback if you were thru/section hiking on the AT, would a hostel in Clayton, Ga. be a location that you might want to stay and resupply? Please give me you honest feedback and opinion. Thanks!
honest opinion? not a good idea. there's a new, full service hostel opening .5 from DC gap plus lots of other options in hiawassee

MuddyWaters
02-10-2014, 19:28
"Hiker Hostel" is trademarked by the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega I believe. I know they have had some issues with some other businesses trying to feed off of their name before.

Dont plan on using those two words together in the name. Refer to it simply as a hostel, or a hostel for hikers.

Mtn Scout
02-26-2014, 17:29
I think this one is only open for a month and a half.

Mtn Scout
02-26-2014, 17:30
honest opinion? not a good idea. there's a new, full service hostel opening .5 from DC gap plus lots of other options in hiawassee

i don't think this one will be open for a month and a half or so during a season

generoll
02-26-2014, 17:43
open year round.

likeahike
02-26-2014, 19:46
As far as legal ramifications, all I need to do is obtain a local business license and a permit to operate as a seasonal bed & breakfast.If any of that requires public comment, you better hope the neighbors are down with it.