PDA

View Full Version : Anything besides plain water drank on the trails?

Different Socks
01-28-2014, 18:22
In many posts and replies to said posts, I've read about people claiming that they only drink water while hiking for the the entire time of their thru-hike.
I find it difficult to believe that other than coffee/tea/alcohol in camp, that there are so many people that drink only water with every meal
I've heard people say it's b/c of having to keep the bottles clean, or a water bag clean, or their Camelbak clean.

Now I do understand that there are "some" people out there that do prefer to drink water all day, day after day after day.

So let's hear from those that prefer to have flavored water. Here are some of the powders/liquids I use:

--Over a doz different MIO flavors
--Powerade drops
--Every Gatorade powder I can get my hands on
--1/2 doz different flavors of Hawaiian Punch
--Crystal Light powders
--Strawberry/Chocolate YooHoo Powders
--Tang
--Ovber a doz different Walmart powders.

Malto
01-28-2014, 18:23
For me there is water or there is magical Malto mix, Malto, electrolytes and crystal light.

coach lou
01-28-2014, 18:27
I take powdered gatorade now, every walk.

Different Socks
01-28-2014, 18:30
I take powdered gatorade now, every walk.

If it's not mixed in already, I've reduced my gatorade powders down b/c like Tang, they are rather bulky in a ziploc.

MuddyWaters
01-28-2014, 18:30
sqwincher lite kwik stiks 0.1 oz each

Different Socks
01-28-2014, 18:31
sqwincher lite kwik stiks 0.1 oz each

Squincher?! Wow, I haven't seen those in so plong, I thought they were discontinued.

hikerboy57
01-28-2014, 18:33
emergen-c .

Pedaling Fool
01-28-2014, 18:34
I think I'm one of them lucky people because I'm satisfied with the simple things in life; I have no desire to flavor my water.

ocasey3
01-28-2014, 18:34
I really like NUUN. The pink lemonade is pretty good.

fredmugs
01-28-2014, 18:35
Water on the trail. Beer in town with an occasional Coke.

coach lou
01-28-2014, 18:39
I think I'm one of them lucky people because I'm satisfied with the simple things in life; I have no desire to flavor my water.

The flavor sucks....its the chemicals that my body sweats out on the long hot walks.

Pedaling Fool
01-28-2014, 18:47
The flavor sucks....its the chemicals that my body sweats out on the long hot walks.Eat a healthy diet and you don't need these sucky flavor additives; I never did ;)

Pedaling Fool
01-28-2014, 19:00
Eat a healthy diet and you don't need these sucky flavor additives; I never did ;)
Sorry Coach, I just read HikerMoms post on another thread and realize I must be more careful in my posting

Disclaimer !!! : I'm super human, don't try this unless you're also super human :)

coach lou
01-28-2014, 19:05
I do not skimp on my diet, at all. Since I am back on the trail I was getting leg cramps at nite, I started to MAKE SURE I hydrated. I did a 5 day this July, by day four I was bonking, I forced myself to drink.....but it felt empty. I was having day dreams about MountainDew!!! I downed 2 cans when I got to the hostel, I felt much better. I got home, did some searches. I hated the taste of gatorade. I tried it, I started bringing the powder. 2 scoops with my water during the walk......NO more nite cramps.

coach lou
01-28-2014, 19:06
Sorry Coach, I just read HikerMoms post on another thread and realize I must be more careful in my posting

Disclaimer !!! : I'm super human, don't try this unless you're also super human :)

That's only 'cause you squids hold water better than us jarheads! :)

Slo-go'en
01-28-2014, 19:14
I like the citris flavored, caffine infused Crystal Light in the morning, Propel for lunch and lemonaid for dinner. Plus an occasional sip of untreated water for variaty.

Osiris
01-28-2014, 19:39
During my hike

Water only when hiking.
Coffee in the morning at camp.
Fresh juices and some hard cider in town.

Prior to my hike I never drank water. I drank two or three cups of coffee a day. If I didn't have coffee I would drink a coffee based energy drink. I was not healthy in that respect.

While hiking I found myself enjoying plain water, so much so that it is almost all I have now post hike. I can't remember the last time I had a soda or energy drink. I still have coffee or tea on occasion but even those are taken without sweaters/creamers. Haven't had any alcohol since my return from the trail.

I'm a bit of a special case though having lost half my pancreas to pancreatitis a few years back due to gall stones. I'm not diabetic yet but my doctors feel it will happen someday so reducing sugar intake now is vital to getting as many miles on what's left of my pancreas.

Still, I remember something I heard stated by a hiker to a woman who was performing trail magic. The woman listed off all the drinks she was handing out ending with water. The hiker replied: "Mama, all we drink out there is water. The last thing we want is more water." His statement was a bit rude but rang true with me, I had grape juice. Right after he said that another hiker stepped forward and asked for two bottles of water.

Point being just like Hike your own hike, drink your own drink. Just remember your electrolytes!

Teacher & Snacktime
01-28-2014, 19:43
Vitamin water for day trips. Gatorade for the young man.

Hikes in Rain
01-28-2014, 20:02
Coffee in the morning, because there's just no point to morning without it. Wonderfully flavored spring or creek water otherwise. Down here we have some of the planet's best water via the Floridan aquifer, but the springs along the Trail just taste better.

bfayer
01-28-2014, 20:05

I don't see the need to pick on other folks across threads.

When I hike I drink mostly plain water, but I do enjoy powdered drink mix from time to time in the summer, and spiced apple cider in the fall and winter. I usually take some Nido powdered milk and carnation instant breakfast, but that is more as part of my morning meal than something to flavor water. Then again I'm not a thru hiker, so don't mind the extra weight as much.

For the OP, I have seen people pull just about every conceivable drink out of their pack from coconut water (never saw that 10 years ago) to big bottles of pedialyte (yuck), so if you take something other than water, I guarantee you will not be alone.

Different Socks
01-28-2014, 20:47
I will say that I do drink just plain water, especially if I am thirsty and it's right from an ice cold spring. Yet after I have quaffed my thirst, for the remaining time until the next spring or fill up or during a meal, for me it's gotta be flavored. It's just more satisfying.
There have been many times that I'll drink something now and memories from the trail can flood my mind of the moments I drank that same flavor. Hell, just the aroma of the flavor can do that.

Different Socks
01-28-2014, 20:48

When I hike I drink mostly plain water, but I do enjoy powdered drink mix from time to time in the summer, and spiced apple cider in the fall and winter. I usually take some Nido powdered milk and carnation instant breakfast, but that is more as part of my morning meal than something to flavor water. Then again I'm not a thru hiker, so don't mind the extra weight as much.

For the OP, I have seen people pull just about every conceivable drink out of their pack from coconut water (never saw that 10 years ago) to big bottles of pedialyte (yuck), so if you take something other than water, I guarantee you will not be alone.

Spiced apple cider!! Awesome idea. I forgot about that one.

HikerMom58
01-28-2014, 20:57

bfayer... no worries. PF and I are cool! I took his remarks just fine! Thanks bfayer! :) As long as he smiles, I'm good!

I have to tell you about my all time favorite "stuff" to put in my water. It's G2 low calorie grape flavor goodness. I love plain water too but when I need a lil something different. That hits the spot for me!

Sarcasm the elf
01-28-2014, 21:28
Tang is wonderful stuff and I think it tastes a lot better than gatorade. I usually make a liter of it at less than the recommended strength about half way through the day.

It's got what astronauts crave!

Weather-man
01-28-2014, 21:29
I generally just drink water, if it's cold but also carry a Vitamin C drink pack per day...at least when starting out and if I can find them at resupply points. I also start out from a resupply with a 1 liter and 20oz Gatoraid or some other flavored drink with carbs.

Night Train
01-28-2014, 21:40
G2 grape...day time, Knob Creek single barrel...night time.

aficion
01-28-2014, 21:44
The only two things
I will put in my water
Coffee and whiskey

OP mentioned both
Cause they are common as hell
So what can I say?

Water is the best
And it is best by itself
Unfiltered of course

I refer legal
inquiries that may arise
to my friend HM

nu2hike
01-28-2014, 21:44
Water throughout the day! Crystal lite lemon aid with meals! Coffee most mornings!

Another Kevin
01-28-2014, 21:49
Coffee in the morning. Emergen-C if I think I need electrolytes (for example, when I'm chugging the fourth litre of the day because I've been sweating). Afternoon tea if I'm feeling lazy on a chilly spring or fall day, or tea if I'm cooking up something Chinese or Indian. Mostly water otherwise. I take my whisky or beer in town; somehow, I just don't want them when I'm on the trail.

bfayer
01-28-2014, 21:54
bfayer... no worries. PF and I are cool! I took his remarks just fine! Thanks bfayer! :) As long as he smiles, I'm good!

I have to tell you about my all time favorite "stuff" to put in my water. It's G2 low calorie grape flavor goodness. I love plain water too but when I need a lil something different. That hits the spot for me!

Hiker Mom, I wasn't trying to imply PFs remarks were out of line (I guess I should have said "ribbing" and not "picking"), I was referring more to the across threads thing. Not everyone reading this thread will have read the other thread, it kind of leaves other readers without a context to understand the reference.

PF, Sorry if I wasn't clear with my comments in my other post.

Papa D
01-28-2014, 21:55
lots of powdered drink mixes are pretty good as others have said. This is one thing that I try to get from hiker boxes because no-one really wants to carry a whole canister of country time lemonade and if they did, they would get sick of it - - I do suggest Country time lemonade though - pretty ok and gets your sugar fix for an extra few miles - leave balance of what you don't want in a hiker box. I mostly just do water but lemonade, crystal light, gatorade, are all game . . . . one funny story: last year I bought some individual Kool-ade packets in Hanover, NH headed north toward Glencliff - - what I didn't notice is that these were the type you have to add sugar too. You can imagine how gross it was adding one of these packs to my bottle of (somewhat hard to find) water around Moose Mountain - ugh - gross. I actually just threw them away vs leaving in the Hiker's Welcome Hiker Box (where I found a huge zip-lock of Sobo gatorade) - wouldn't want to subject another to that. Cheers yall

HikerMom58
01-28-2014, 22:02
G2 grape...day time, Knob Creek single barrel...night time.

Yes, another G2 grape lover.. woo hoo! :)

The only two things
I will put in my water
Coffee and whiskey

OP mentioned both
Cause they are common as hell
So what can I say?

Water is the best
And it is best by itself
Unfiltered of course

I refer legal
inquiries that may arise
to my friend HM

Aficion that is so funny! :D

I'm never going to live this down.
It would be so boring without _ _.
I'll let you fill in the blank.

Starchild
01-28-2014, 22:02
Most everything mentioned here - including some various alcoholic drinks which I didn't see yet, but I did see whiskey and I lump them together, of the two that were not:
- Pine (or spruce or other) needle tea (great hot drink that can be gathered on site)
- Pedialyte powder mix, stored in my first aid kit, which is a super electrolyte drink for dehydration situations but I did use it on occasion on my thru, partly because I felt I needed something, but partly because I wanted the flavor.

Hikerhead
01-28-2014, 22:04
Pickle juice.

coach lou
01-28-2014, 22:05
Pickle juice.

eeeewwwuuuuuuuuuuuu :(

HikerMom58
01-28-2014, 22:08
Hiker Mom, I wasn't trying to imply PFs remarks were out of line (I guess I should have said "ribbing" and not "picking"), I was referring more to the across threads thing. Not everyone reading this thread will have read the other thread, it kind of leaves other readers without a context to understand the reference.

PF, Sorry if I wasn't clear with my comments in my other post.

Got ya bfayer :)... I'd be thrilled if no one ever read the other thread..keep um in the dark! :p Just kiddin!

aficion
01-28-2014, 22:11
Pickle juice.

Great for cramps. I give it to gramps. Not on the trail though.

Spirit Walker
01-28-2014, 22:13
When I used a white gas stove, I used to make tea at lunch and at the end of the day, as well as soup and hot chocolate. With my alcohol stove it seems like more trouble than it's worth. I do still drink coffee in the a.m. My husband isn't much of a water drinker, even when thirsty. We found that sugar free Koolaid or Crystal light made the water taste a lot better so we would both drink more. When using iodine, the vitamin C eliminates the iodine taste.

fiddlehead
01-29-2014, 00:55
Coffee in the morning, a cup of tea at night, water in between.
Keeps life simple.

The pickle juice for cramps sounds like a good idea because I do get cramps sometimes.
But, how to carry it? I can't imagine it's worth the weight unless it can be dehydrated.

Hikerhead
01-29-2014, 02:01
The pickle juice for cramps sounds like a good idea because I do get cramps sometimes.
But, how to carry it? I can't imagine it's worth the weight unless it can be dehydrated.

I double bag pickles in zip locks and they give me a new supply of juice every morning to get me going. And pickles are great on a hot day when a little bit of salt is needed. And now I know why I've never had cramps.

Hill Ape
01-29-2014, 02:31
beer, pack it in pack it out

aficion
01-29-2014, 04:25
beer, pack it in pack it out
Or pack it in pee it out.

aficion
01-29-2014, 04:35
Pot liquor. This is the liquid that remains in the pot after you cook and eat your nettles. Full of vitamins and minerals.

aficion
01-29-2014, 04:49
Coffee in the morning, a cup of tea at night, water in between.
Keeps life simple.

I'm told it is the turmeric in the pickle juice though I cannot verify it. Pickle juice works so fast it is amazing. I think the combination of turmeric, salt, and vinegar has beneficial properties.

jdc5294
01-29-2014, 07:32
I loved the crystal light energy things, I tried the MIO but didn't like the taste. One guy I know for some reason used a whole MIO pack in one bottle of water, had to go to the hospital.

Odd Man Out
01-29-2014, 11:31
I've become disillusioned with artificial sweeteners. I just don't want them. Unfortunately, they seem to be in just about everything these days. So for me, I opt for coffee in the morning and in the evening I drink tea (green or black, not herbal) without sugar, even in the south. I may have a packet or two of flavored Oral Rehydration Salts in my first aid kit for emergencies, but the correct recipe includes glucose.

GoldenBear
01-29-2014, 12:10
I have to have it carbonated -- something about carbonation in water just lifts my spirits. Thus I bring along Fizzies{R}* to add to the water during my evening meal. When I get back go civilization, one of the first things I crave is Coke or Pepsi.

In the morning I drink coffee to get me awake, but during my hike I drink straight water. Just too much trouble for me to add anything. But at night I HAVE to have the carbonation.

* Yes, they are still sold - both online and at specialty candy stores.

BTW, sorry about replying to OMO instead of the OP -- I'd fix my mistake if I could.

Undershaft
01-29-2014, 12:46
I too find its more trouble than its worth to add anything to my water. I once found some pink lemonade packets in Peru Peak Shelter and used a couple, but they were too sweet for me unless I diluted them with about three liters of water. I still have one or two packets of that stuff kicking around. I was given some gatorade packets by some day hikers once. I tried them, but again too sweet unless they were very diluted. I find that most of the time I just want plain water. If I do crave a flavored liquid when I'm hiking I only want a small quantity, like four or five sips at most. Its not worth it to me to carry flavoring just to make such a small amount, so I don't bother with it. I find plain water to be tasty and refreshing and its something I can drink all day long.

In the mornings I'll have one or two cups of coffee, plain water all day when I'm hiking, and a couple cups of tea at night. I usually carry a half dozen varieties of tea and a couple different types of coffee. Occasionally I'll pack a small bottle of alcohol out of town (at least in the North, where you can actually buy liquor) and/or some beers. The liquor gets sipped at night, but the beer rarely makes it past the first shelter out of town. Too heavy to carry any further than that.

RED-DOG
01-29-2014, 12:50
I like the Kool-aid that comes in little squeezable bottles, and also PowerAid that in the little single pouches.

QiWiz
01-29-2014, 16:34
I drink water, but I'll pack 1-2 sugarless mix flavor packs per day for variety. Tend to like fruit punch and peach flavors for some reason. Even though it usually says these make 16 oz, I usually get 1-2 20 oz gatorade bottles flavored with one packet. Enough flavor for me.

Hill Ape
01-29-2014, 16:40
Or pack it in pee it out.

for the win

Different Socks
01-29-2014, 17:57
I too find its more trouble than its worth to add anything to my water. I once found some pink lemonade packets in Peru Peak Shelter and used a couple, but they were too sweet for me unless I diluted them with about three liters of water. I still have one or two packets of that stuff kicking around. I was given some gatorade packets by some day hikers once. I tried them, but again too sweet unless they were very diluted. I find that most of the time I just want plain water. If I do crave a flavored liquid when I'm hiking I only want a small quantity, like four or five sips at most. Its not worth it to me to carry flavoring just to make such a small amount, so I don't bother with it. I find plain water to be tasty and refreshing and its something I can drink all day long.

In the mornings I'll have one or two cups of coffee, plain water all day when I'm hiking, and a couple cups of tea at night. I usually carry a half dozen varieties of tea and a couple different types of coffee. Occasionally I'll pack a small bottle of alcohol out of town (at least in the North, where you can actually buy liquor) and/or some beers. The liquor gets sipped at night, but the beer rarely makes it past the first shelter out of town. Too heavy to carry any further than that.

So lemme get this straight: A flavoring packet is too much of a hassle to carry much less take the time required to mix it and drink it b/c it's too sweet, BUT you take along coffee?

Different Socks
01-29-2014, 17:59
I drink water, but I'll pack 1-2 sugarless mix flavor packs per day for variety. Tend to like fruit punch and peach flavors for some reason. Even though it usually says these make 16 oz, I usually get 1-2 20 oz gatorade bottles flavored with one packet. Enough flavor for me.

I do the same with any packet that says to mix with 16--20oz H2O. Just too sweet for so little water.

MuddyWaters
01-29-2014, 18:19
Squincher?! Wow, I haven't seen those in so plong, I thought they were discontinued.

sqwincher is sold primarily thru safety supply distributors for industrial use.

They are the lightest and best tasting ones I have found. I find I drink more if I have a couple per day.

Dogwood
01-29-2014, 18:44
Nothing added to drinking water is a tasty as plain old clean clear spring water or water tumbling down a remote brook or from a mountain tarn. Leave it to humans to screw up something so basic as water that is pure, free, clean, clear and refreshing. NOTHING like it can come from a tap(w/ halides - flouride, chlorine compounds, inoculants, antibiotics, etc), or by adding a flavoring, sugar, electrolytes, blah blah blah. I really miss it every time after a hike.

Happy44
01-29-2014, 19:27
Nothing added to drinking water is a tasty as plain old clean clear spring water or water tumbling down a remote brook or from a mountain tarn. Leave it to humans to screw up something so basic as water that is pure, free, clean, clear and refreshing. NOTHING like it can come from a tap(w/ halides - flouride, chlorine compounds, inoculants, antibiotics, etc), or by adding a flavoring, sugar, electrolytes, blah blah blah. I really miss it every time after a hike.

as much as hate dogwoods elitist/rich views on his posts here on whiteblaze, i can agree with him on this post completely , nothings is better then the piped water spring deep in the mountains!

Odd Man Out
01-30-2014, 00:22
as much as hate dogwoods elitist/rich views on his posts here on whiteblaze, i can agree with him on this post completely , nothings is better then the piped water spring deep in the mountains!

I don't always agree with Dogwood, but I appreciate and welcome the unique perspective he offers.

And yes, mountain spring water is yummy, this coming from a guy who lives near the world's first and only monument/sculpture dedicated to municipal water supply fluoridation.

LIhikers
01-30-2014, 00:36
Tang is wonderful stuff and I think it tastes a lot better than gatorade. I usually make a liter of it at less than the recommended strength about half way through the day.

It's got what astronauts crave!

Tang is also good in the winter time, make it with HOT water.

Blue Mountain Edward
01-30-2014, 04:09
Kool Aid or Wylers with sugar. I dont consume artificial sweeteners. Coffee and tea with sugar.

Terry7
01-30-2014, 09:02
wine and everclear

Seatbelt
01-30-2014, 09:05
D-o-n-t-f-o-r-g-e-t-t-o-d-r-i-n-k-y-o-u-r-o-v-a-l-t-i-n-e:)

Undershaft
01-30-2014, 10:24
So lemme get this straight: A flavoring packet is too much of a hassle to carry much less take the time required to mix it and drink it b/c it's too sweet, BUT you take along coffee?

Yes. I don't really understand what you're getting at.

lonehiker
01-30-2014, 10:30
Plain water. But I am still laughing at a couple posts that said the mix was too sweet unless diluted. I was going to explain how to solve the issue but decided that it would be an effort in futility.

Undershaft
01-30-2014, 10:40
Wait, I think I see....or maybe not. I'll try to explain: I don't like sweet beverages, on or off trail. The only way to make flavor packets like the ones I mentioned palatable to me is to dilute the hell out of them. Since, as I mentioned, I only want a few sips of the diluted beverage its not really worth mixing them up. I would either have a bunch of opened powder packets in my food bag or way more beverage than I want to drink, so I don't bother. It's not a hassle to carry. I carried that stuff for several hundred miles but found I didn't really want it. I like to drink nice cool mountain water. I don't add anything to my coffee or tea.

Pootz
01-30-2014, 10:52
I like a little flavor in my water

Water while hiking, plain Kool-aid with about 20 percent of the recommended sugar added for breaks during the day and dinner and a shot or 2 of bourbon in the evening. While in town chocolate mike and beer.

I also get a 32oz. Gatorade to take out of town. Use the gatorade bottle in addition to my water bladder for water until the next town.

Undershaft
01-30-2014, 10:58
Plain water. But I am still laughing at a couple posts that said the mix was too sweet unless diluted. I was going to explain how to solve the issue but decided that it would be an effort in futility.

I think everyone knows the solution to the problem.:D They just don't want to bother with it since plain water is good enough.

It's another of those things that come down to personal taste. I drink black coffee and wouldn't consider adding cream, sugar, or flavor to it. Some people think that's disgusting and can't understand how I can drink it that way. I just like it that way. I used to manage a coffee shop and couldn't believe the amounts of sugar, cream, flavor syrup and other stuff folks wanted in their coffee. Ugh, not for me!

Adding flavor and other compounds to water can be great for those that like it. It can also be a good way to replenish electrolytes as noted by a lot of posters in this thread.

Different Socks
01-30-2014, 11:38
Yes. I don't really understand what you're getting at.

Other than the fact that coffee and tea aren't sweet, isn't that still using something to flavor your water? And when drinking the tea, don't you use sweeteners?

Undershaft
01-30-2014, 11:47
Other than the fact that coffee and tea aren't sweet, isn't that still using something to flavor your water? And when drinking the tea, don't you use sweeteners?

Oh, I see. Kind of a semantic argument, but I guess technically you are correct. As for the tea I just drink it plain without adding sweeteners. I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners.

Dogwood
01-30-2014, 12:03

Don't forget I'm also a cyber bully, anti HYOH proponent, pro vegetarian but not anti meat activist, part of the UL goon squad, gold shield carrying member of the environmental police, part of an insider click at National Parks, "highlander", "Whole Paycheck" trail food "enthusiast", and part of the staunch pro NPS/GSMNP caucus! :D

Different Socks
01-30-2014, 12:12
Wait, I think I see....or maybe not. I'll try to explain: I don't like sweet beverages, on or off trail. The only way to make flavor packets like the ones I mentioned palatable to me is to dilute the hell out of them. Since, as I mentioned, I only want a few sips of the diluted beverage its not really worth mixing them up. I would either have a bunch of opened powder packets in my food bag or way more beverage than I want to drink, so I don't bother. It's not a hassle to carry. I carried that stuff for several hundred miles but found I didn't really want it. I like to drink nice cool mountain water. I don't add anything to my coffee or tea.

Okay, I gotcha!

Pedaling Fool
01-30-2014, 12:20
Don't forget I'm also a cyber bully, anti HYOH proponent, pro vegetarian but not anti meat activist, part of the UL goon squad, gold shield carrying member of the environmental police, part of an insider click at National Parks, "highlander", "Whole Paycheck" trail food "enthusiast", and part of the staunch pro NPS/GSMNP caucus! :D
Dogwood, you missed it, but we had a meeting...long story short, you're a snooby, elitist jerk.

I protested, but was far outnumbered ;)

Happy44
01-30-2014, 17:51

i laughed so hard about the UL goon squad because its sooooo true!

aficion
01-30-2014, 18:06

I Mostly agree
Wholeheartedly, yet there's this
16 Men of Tain

Osiris
01-30-2014, 18:47

And it would appear, someone with a great sense of humor. :)

HikerMom58
01-30-2014, 20:58
And it would appear, someone with a great sense of humor. :)

What's not to love about Dogwood? :D He is funny! DW- ur no cyber bully! He gets the award for the L O N G E S T posts!

Ha Ha DB... you got a point about Just Bill... how could I forget? It's great! :)

Drybones
01-30-2014, 21:03
What's not to love about Dogwood? :D He is funny! DW- ur no cyber bully! He gets the award for the L O N G E S T posts!

No way, that goes to Just Bill.......I'm waiting for his to come out in paper back.

Drybones
01-30-2014, 21:06

As long as you're not a spelling Nazi and I can still love ya man.

Drybones
01-30-2014, 21:09
I bought some energy drink mix at Walmart, dont remember the name except it had a big X on it, very tasty and did help get me up the hills.

MuddyWaters
01-30-2014, 22:43
I bought some energy drink mix at Walmart, dont remember the name except it had a big X on it, very tasty and did help get me up the hills.

I bought some Mio and walmart brand liquid electrolyte mix at a walmart once when I was on way to the trailhead, and couldnt find my ziplock with drink mix in it.

The Mio was fine, the walmart brand tasted OK, but the color went away after a few hours. It turned to debris swimming around in the bottom . wont be buying that again..ever.

Bronk
01-31-2014, 14:17
I might carry some gatorade out of town but its usually because I want the bottle, but other than that I drink plain water because like you said its not worth filtering a quart of water just to clean out the bottle...filtering water is the chore I hate the most on the trail and I'm not looking for ways to do more of it. Other kinds of beverages are like town food, I fill up on them when I'm in town.