PDA

View Full Version : Second Polar Snap

Tipi Walter
01-29-2014, 11:41
Just an update on current cold conditions in East TN and what I guess I have to call the Second Polar Vortex.

I set up the old Staika tent in the backyard and have been sleeping out every night for the last 10 days with this morning showing 0F on the old thermometer. I hope everyone else is getting their bag nights during some of Miss Nature's best. This is an addendum to my previous lunacy as found here---
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101057-24-Days-in-the-Polar-Vortex

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/24-Days-in-the-Cold/i-vCCjwVH/0/L/THE%20SECOND%20POLAR%20RECTUM%20026-L.jpg
Midnight January 28. It's butt cold again.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/24-Days-in-the-Cold/i-5x4nNsB/0/L/THE%20SECOND%20POLAR%20RECTUM%20001-L.jpg
Morning January 29 at 0F.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/24-Days-in-the-Cold/i-643PjQn/0/L/THE%20SECOND%20POLAR%20RECTUM%20031-L.jpg
The old faded Hilleberg Staika in the cold. Inside? The Exped downmat---a supremely warm piece of gear but a little outside my Circle of Trust---since during a long Thanksgiving trip one like it blew out a tube baffle.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/24-Days-in-the-Cold/i-4PBBZFh/0/L/THE%20SECOND%20POLAR%20RECTUM%20028-L.jpg
The tent catching the first rays of morning sun. I recently learned that the coldest part of the day is just when the sun starts rising.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/24-Days-in-the-Cold/i-dMNF6FR/0/L/THE%20SECOND%20POLAR%20RECTUM%20033-L.jpg
And so ends my travelogue into the Backyard Wilderness of TN. Or is it the Wrangler--St Levi Wilderness??

MDSection12
01-29-2014, 12:04
You're so right about the bag nights, especially for cold weather testing; you gotta get them when you can, how you can... I have a lot less backyard wilderness to work with.

Tipi Walter
01-29-2014, 12:09
You're so right about the bag nights, especially for cold weather testing; you gotta get them when you can, how you can... I have a lot less backyard wilderness to work with.

That my friend is perfect as you've got privacy and you still have the possibility and opportunity to freeze to death:) as is our God given right. Plus, how many nights have I spent sleeping outside in the winter on decks, porches, concrete slabs and small little alcoves as shown in your pic?? When Little Mitten asks me why I gotta sleep out in the cold, I say "Gotta keep my chops up" but she doesn't understand. Her loss.

MDSection12
01-29-2014, 12:18
That my friend is perfect as you've got privacy and you still have the possibility and opportunity to freeze to death:) as is our God given right. Plus, how many nights have I spent sleeping outside in the winter on decks, porches, concrete slabs and small little alcoves as shown in your pic?? When Little Mitten asks me why I gotta sleep out in the cold, I say "Gotta keep my chops up" but she doesn't understand. Her loss.
I got myself in trouble that night, or more accurately the next morning. She said she didn't want me sleeping out there so I said I wouldn't... Waited until she fell asleep and headed out. Got down to 1 F though, so I told her now when I'm out and it's fifteen degrees (which is typically a low low here) she can sleep soundly. I'd rather find out my limit at home, than out with a long hike to the car. :)

Tipi Walter
01-29-2014, 14:48
I got myself in trouble that night, or more accurately the next morning. She said she didn't want me sleeping out there so I said I wouldn't... Waited until she fell asleep and headed out. Got down to 1 F though, so I told her now when I'm out and it's fifteen degrees (which is typically a low low here) she can sleep soundly. I'd rather find out my limit at home, than out with a long hike to the car. :)

Backyard "testing" is both useful and fun, a double whammy, especially in frigid conditions. There's nothing quite like knowing you can survive in comfort anywhere down to about -10F or -15F. And heck, do it with a hammock and atarp as in your pic or even a bivy bag thrown on the deck.

George
01-29-2014, 20:54
spent 5 hours out last night in -4 with an old -5 bag, was still warm/ comfortable when I came in to pee and stayed - going to wash the bag anyway

Tipi Walter
01-29-2014, 21:26
spent 5 hours out last night in -4 with an old -5 bag, was still warm/ comfortable when I came in to pee and stayed - going to wash the bag anyway

Can't resist---it's the old joke of taking a leak at -10F and needing a hatchet to chop yourself free from the frozen urine stream (attaching you to the ground YAWN) . . .

Del Q
01-29-2014, 21:32
Pee Bottle's rock...............don't go out without one. Handy at whatever.am.

Dogwood
01-30-2014, 00:13

I understand as I'm letting myself slide a bit right now which might have me making a more difficult adjustment in the near future. I think your recent trips under those conditions were likely more comfortable because you did some things previous to that accustomed you to the cold.

If you think that way(in terms of your limits) indeed good place to learn about is in the backyard. You may find though the more you do that the more you are likely endure and enjoy so you limits will be greater.

Backyard "testing" is both useful and fun, a double whammy, especially in frigid conditions. There's nothing quite like knowing you can survive in comfort anywhere down to about -10F or -15F. And heck, do it with a hammock and atarp as in your pic or even a bivy bag thrown on the deck.

Yup. More should be doing it. It would lead to more winter camping and hiking which is certainly a rewarding time of the yr to be hiking and camping.

George
01-30-2014, 01:42
Pee Bottle's rock...............don't go out without one. Handy at whatever.am.

did not bring one, I was just on the deck