PDA

View Full Version : Micro spikes recommended for Roan Mt?

saltysack
01-29-2014, 13:24
If weather holds looks like next wed-fri ill hike a 35-45 mile section from Indian grave gap to mountain harbour where my truck will be at 19e...should I bring micro-spikes? Any input..I've had to cancel trip twice do to sub zero temps....hope weather holds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Slo-go'en
01-29-2014, 14:03
If you got them, I would sure take them. The south side of Roan is likely to be a difficult climb with out them. It might all melt off in a week, but I wouldn't count on it. If it does warm up, it will likely be wet and slushy where it isn't ice. Bring extra socks :)

flemdawg1
01-29-2014, 14:14
If you got them, I would sure take them. The North side of Roan is likely to be a difficult climb with out them. It might all melt off in a week, but I wouldn't count on it. If it does warm up, it will likely be wet and slushy where it isn't ice. Bring extra socks :)

Fixed it for ya.

Slo-go'en
01-29-2014, 14:27
Actually, I think it will be the south side. It is steep and has a lot of shade from the pine trees which line it, so it's not going to get much sun. I know that section is pretty wet in the spring, so I would imagine at the very least it will be icy. The north end of Roan might actually get more sun, but lower down when you get into the pine forest, that could be a troublesome section too. It always seems to be a lot cooler down there. Roan is neat as it reminds me of home.

saltysack
01-29-2014, 14:39
I don't own a pair living in sunny Florida and only get to winter hike on AT about twice a year...worth the $65??

saltysack
01-29-2014, 14:40
Do they work well with trail runners?

Praha4
01-29-2014, 14:43
Roan High Knob shelter is awesome, as well as that section of the trail. Have a great hike

1azarus
01-29-2014, 14:47
they work perfectly with trail runners and are well worth the price

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Tennessee Viking
01-29-2014, 16:56
South side of Roan is getting relocated to more switchbacks. But its still steep in areas. North side of Roan and Hump has a long rocky areas and high steps.

Spikes or even Yak-traks...bring them. There are several rocky areas along that route. And there is possibly ice sheets on the trail.

I had to a cancel a long awaited trip to the NC Wilson Creek/Lost Cove area at the very morning because of sudden icy weather. It went from highs of 60s and sunny to highs of upper 20s with sleet and snow. I didn't want to trudge through 15+ icy creek crossings.

Slo-go'en
01-29-2014, 17:50
Roan High Knob shelter is awesome, as well as that section of the trail. Have a great hike

I once froze my butt off in that shelter when it went down to 20 and all I had was a 45 degree bag. Heck, it was early May at the time! I got up as soon as it was light enough to see and hiked about 5 miles before I was warm enough to stop and eat breakfist!

Saltyshack, $65 but a pitance if it keeps you from breaking a leg or allows you to complete the hike. Under these conditions it is better to have something you might not need then to need something you don't have.

saltysack
01-29-2014, 18:27
I've never used micro spikes do you have to put them on and take them off with varying terrain rocks etc.

mountain squid
01-29-2014, 18:47
If there is alot of snow it will likely cover most of the ice. Not much snow, expect several 40-50 ft patches of ice to traverse and alot of rock hopping, on either side of Roan.

I suppose if it is bad, you could always hike down the road from Cloudland and avoid most of the ice. There is one spot between Cloudland and the Shelter that you could bail to the road - if you see the road, that is (of course, since it is not maintained, the road might be bad also).

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)

Slo-go'en
01-29-2014, 21:21
If there is alot of snow it will likely cover most of the ice. Not much snow, expect several 40-50 ft patches of ice to traverse and alot of rock hopping, on either side of Roan.

Snow covered ice can be really nasty if the snow isn't too deep. Some of my worst falls have been on snow covered ice, not realising it was there. You can walk on mixed snow/ice/rock/dirt with microspikes easy enough. The spikes are pretty shallow, 1/4" or so hence the name. They go on and off easy enough too, only takes a minute or two.

Marta
01-29-2014, 21:40
Microspikes are perfect for terrain like Roan when the abundant water flowing along the Trail turns to ice. A couple years ago my husband and I were hiking a section there about this time of year. The other people on the trip bailed because picking their way around and across the ice was so tedious. My husband and I just trekked right along and had a beautiful weekend.

I wouldn't bother to remove the Microspikes unless you got into long stretches of rocks with no ice on them, and that mostly because it would wear the Microspikes a bit.

Have a good hike!