PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Patagonia R3?

Ablemob
01-29-2014, 15:01
Looking for something not so slim fitting, without the arm stretch panels and possibly warmer
than the polartec regulator fleece. Not really looking for windstopper, but warmer for camp. Unfortunately it looks like the MH Monkey Man has gone to a lighter fleece than thermal pro (plus)? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Just Bill
01-29-2014, 20:16
Ablemob- The Nanopuff is similar in warmth, weighs less, packs better and has a wind and water resistant shell. Since it's officially a jacket it is cut a bit bigger than the fleece- and it costs the same price as the R3 for a better piece all around- currently onsale- http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-nano-puff-jacket?p=84211-1
You can also get it in a pullover or hooded version if that's your thing.

Praha4
01-29-2014, 20:25
I picked up a Smartwool Sport Knit Half-zip merino wool sweater, great midlayer for camp, wt. is only 11.25 oz. Campmor has them on sale now. http://www.campmor.com/smartwool-sportknit-half-zip-merino-wool-sweater-men-39-s.shtml

Ablemob
01-29-2014, 21:09
Thanks Just Bill-I should have been more specific in stating a fleece alternative to the R3.
I already have a MH ghost whisperer.

sillar68
02-01-2014, 12:32
In what temp range are you going to be using it?

Ablemob
02-01-2014, 21:54
Maybe high teens to upper 20's. looking for something to layer under lightweight puffy. I already have a 100 wt fleece, looking for something heavier. The wind stopper I have is good but as an outer layer.

sillar68
02-01-2014, 23:21
If I'm doing some heavy lifting at 18-20 degrees, coolmax or light smartwool base, an R2 and a Houdini is enough for me. However I sweat more than the average person. Upper 20's I might even switch the R2 to an R1 hoody. If I was static, a smartwool or coolmax base and the R2 under something like 100g primaloft or 650+ down hoody and the Houdini on top of that would be plenty down to the high teens. I think the R3 would be overkill for a hot (hot-natured?) person like me.

OwenM
03-24-2014, 11:04
Thanks Just Bill-I should have been more specific in stating a fleece alternative to the R3.
I already have a MH ghost whisperer.
Have you considered a warmer down jacket? Fleece is so heavy. My R2 weighs the same as my down jacket(a Merrell very similar in cut and loft to the Patagonia down sweater), which has yet to require anything but a baselayer under it at the temps you describe. A couple more ounces of down fill might give more warmth than that R3 without adding a lot of bulk, not to mention another pound, to your load. Everybody's different, but I don't carry a midlayer at those temps, as I'm still in a Capilene 1 or 3 top under an OR Ferrosi while active in the upper teens, and the puffy handles camp duty. I know I run warm, but aside from extra socks, a rain jacket, and a long bottom baselayer and beanie for camp, what I just described is my entire clothing system unless it's getting down ~10F or lower.