PDA

View Full Version : I'm an outdoor writer hoping to write about 2014 thrus

jhodgson
01-29-2014, 15:41
Hi there. I'm James Hodgson (http://jimhodgson.com), an outdoor humorist. I write for a couple of outlets, in this case for Tripleblaze (http://tripleblaze.com) hiking and backpacking blog, based in Decatur, GA. I live in Atlanta.

I'd like to connect with some thrus heading out from Springer this spring, especially any who intend to use the Hiker Hostel's excellent shuttle service from Atlanta. I reached out to the Hiker Hostel as well as to the people who run this forum, so they know I'm posting about this.

I'd love it if I could join up with some folks heading to the AT, then spend the first night or two with them on the trail. As you go along, we'd love to hear from you as well, and we'd be happy to post links to your blog or twitter account if you are using those.

Let me know if you're interested, or know someone who is. You can post any questions right here, I'll be watching the thread. Thanks!

Hill Ape
01-29-2014, 16:38
is tim porter involved?

jhodgson
01-29-2014, 16:42
I can't say I know Tim Porter.

Hill Ape
01-29-2014, 17:54
likely answer, obviously you've been brainwashed, sworn to secrecy, and forced to eat paste.... meet at the brick for drinks :::winkwink:::

Slo-go'en
01-29-2014, 18:08
Why not just show up at the hostel? It should be a full house pretty much every day from the middle of March until the middle of April. You can hike out with 15-20 of your newist, closest friends. No doubt there will be more then a few willing to help you out.

jhodgson
01-29-2014, 18:48
I could. Just seemed like a good idea to post here about it. I read this board a lot when I was considering a thru.

jhodgson
01-30-2014, 10:05
I looked up Tim Porter. I guess you mean the guy at Paste?

I submitted a few things to them but never got a reply, let alone published. Oh well.

My publishers are a husband and wife team in Decatur, but I live in ATL. Brickstore is too far for me. I'm a VaHi boozer.

Bagge Pants
01-31-2014, 18:37
Hello, James, I am coming out to start my north bound thru in the first days of April. I plan to stay a night at the Max Epperson shelter near the falls, hike the Approach Trail, sign the Springer Mountain register for the AT, stay the night at the shelter up there then the following day begin the 300 mile long Benton MacKaye Trail. I plan to walk to Maine on the AT directly off the BMT. Afterwards, I will find a ride back down to the Smokey Mountains and hike the 300 miles of the white blazes I missed, going southbound. If you'd like to connect or perhaps join me for those first two nights for any reason let me know. I plan to journal a lot on trail and I too enjoy humor.

Hill Ape
01-31-2014, 19:07
yeah, i was just messing with you man, i'll drink at manuels over the brick any day

good luck with your project, seriously

Sno66nj
01-31-2014, 19:25
Hi James seems like a worthy project. If you want to hangout and chat I wouldn't mind at all. I will be flying in from NY on march 17th, staying and shuttled via the hiker hostel. I have never been a very avid writer and may find it difficult to keep a tighty blog. I am going to have a go at it. I have been heavily inspired by those hikers who have come before. Some the more obvious and some just amateurs themselves. Hope to see you out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elder
01-31-2014, 19:40
My anti-virus picks up an attack when I go to tripleblaze...WARNING.

Sno66nj
01-31-2014, 19:45
Just stopped by Trippleblaze and looks legit IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhodgson
02-21-2014, 17:55
My anti-virus picks up an attack when I go to tripleblaze...WARNING.

I don't know what that would be. Far as I know you can't get a virus from a web page. You'd have to execute some code locally of some kind.

Just to be on the safe side, I checked with Google's Safebrowsing Diagnostic tool. That link is here:
http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://tripleblaze.com

We got the all clear there.

Thanks to all who contacted me via PM. I'm checking with the Hostel to see what their schedule looks like then moving forward.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-22-2014, 23:35
Why limit yourself to thruhikers? Sectioners have as many stories to tell....

jhodgson
02-23-2014, 07:53
We have a staff of section hikers and former thrus. It's just interesting to talk about people who are giving it a whirl right now, this year.

HikerMom58
02-23-2014, 08:27
We have a staff of section hikers and former thrus. It's just interesting to talk about people who are giving it a whirl right now, this year.

Good luck with this. :) The 2014 FB hiking pages is the place to catch all the thru-hikers in planning & you can get a good idea about their start dates too. It's easy to talk to them there.

Dakota Joe
03-17-2014, 13:51
im on trail now. 530 miles in. contact me at www.facebook.com/theadventuresofdakotajoe