PDA

View Full Version : Balaclava Question

Chair-man
01-29-2014, 16:56
Is there a balaclava that folds up into a beanie? It would seem a bit redundant to carry a beanie and a balaclava. Or do all balaclavas fold up into beanies? I've never owned one.

RedBeerd
01-29-2014, 17:09
Closest thing I know of would be a buff. Pretty versatile.

Mags
01-29-2014, 17:54
All balaclava's turn into hats pretty easily. I use a thicker polypro one in all four seasons. Here's a photo from Wikipedia showing the versatility rather well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/20070102_per_erik_strandberg_balaclava_arranged.jp g/220px-20070102_per_erik_strandberg_balaclava_arranged.jp g

In winter, I often wear a wool beanie and balaclava combo depending on the conditions:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/866568851/n563440020_4562.jpg

Conure
01-29-2014, 18:01
Try this: http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/1071-Buff-Thermal-Hoodie-Fossil/

Slo-go'en
01-29-2014, 18:01
I never thought to use it as a neck warmer. You can also push the face mask part to the back and it will keep the back of your neck warmer.

bigcranky
01-29-2014, 18:09
I wear a balaclava all winter long when hiking. It easily rolls up into a beanie. Doesn't look all that great, but it works fine.

I like the Mountain Hardwear Powerstretch fleece balaclava that my daughter bought me for my birthday a while back. Not sure if they still make it. For me it's the perfect weight and warmth -- not too thick.

OCDave
01-29-2014, 18:36
I have a Smartwool Cuffed beanie + Buff Wool buff. This has been the most effective/versitile head protection sytem I've found.

I have about a dozen Balaclava or alternate face masks. I buy them, then hate them. The reside in our box of mismatched gloves and scarves.

Good Luck

Chair-man
01-29-2014, 19:16
I have a Smartwool Cuffed beanie + Buff Wool buff. This has been the most effective/versitile head protection sytem I've found.

I have about a dozen Balaclava or alternate face masks. I buy them, then hate them. The reside in our box of mismatched gloves and scarves.

Good Luck

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe just getting a neck warmer to go with my beanie instead. I see the Buffs are pretty versatile. Maybe a fleece one.

DocMahns
01-29-2014, 19:56
I just picked up a fleece from arc'teryx that has a balaclava built into it and tucks away when you don't need it. I really like it, but haven't really been able to test it out yet.

tiptoe
01-29-2014, 20:00
I just got a cheap poly balaclava, and combined with a beanie it's perfect for polar vortex outdoor activities right here in Connecticut. So when I walk the dog now, I look like a ninja terrorist, but so do 50% of the other people in the park. Function over form, I always say.

OCDave
01-29-2014, 20:05
... Maybe a fleece one...

What I like about the Buff Wool buff is it is thin and stretchy. I can easily fit it like a balaclava then put the Beanie on top without being too bulky. When I am not wearing the buff it is folded compactly in my pocket. I have had a fleece buff but, felt it was too bulky and lacked the stretch that maks the wool buff so versatile.

Another Kevin
01-30-2014, 11:03
I just got a cheap poly balaclava, and combined with a beanie it's perfect for polar vortex outdoor activities right here in Connecticut. So when I walk the dog now, I look like a ninja terrorist, but so do 50% of the other people in the park. Function over form, I always say.

Yup. In this kind of weather I carry a thin fleece balaclava (I got mine at Ocean State Job Lot) and a Carhartt beanie. The balaclava makes a nice hood for sleeping in, too. (Don't put the face mask up. You'll fill your sleeping bag with condensation.)

dmax
01-30-2014, 11:15
If you want one that will go up into your beanie/cap, take a look at Seirus. They can be found at REI, Dicks, and I'm sure other places. The one I have goes up into fleece cap. They make many different styles.

dmax
01-30-2014, 11:20
[QUOTE (Don't put the face mask up. You'll fill your sleeping bag with condensation.)[/QUOTE]

The reason I wear one over my mouth and nose is so it doesn't go into the bag. Also for alittle moisture to my lungs. I hate getting all dried out in the winter. My sinuses never do good.

paraguay
01-30-2014, 11:51
I cautiously tossed in a cheap balaclava just days prior to leaving for my NOBO hike. Probably one of the most valuable pieces of gear I carried. Also carried a beanie, but the full face protection of the balaclava was critical.

Starvin Marvin
01-31-2014, 13:29
Loki also makes ones.

ChuckT
02-01-2014, 08:04
I have carried a balaklava but found it redundant _except_ in severe weather since I had a hat with as well. My wife has a "chest dickie" a sweater thing to cover the neck and chest - warms the front where you're exposed without having your top wear buttoned up to the neck. I'm hunting one for me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Malto
02-01-2014, 08:59
All balaclava's turn into hats pretty easily. I use a thicker polypro one in all four seasons. Here's a photo from Wikipedia showing the versatility rather well.

I with Mags on this. I have found a balaclava to be one of the most versatile pieces of gear. My only problem is that I never remember how to spell it.

sillar68
02-01-2014, 11:31
If you want one that will go up into your beanie/cap, take a look at Seirus. They can be found at REI, Dicks, and I'm sure other places. The one I have goes up into fleece cap. They make many different styles.

+1 on the Seirus. The Quck-Clava and the Quick-Combo seem to be pretty versatile.

http://www.seirus.com/Quick-Clavas-Subcategories
http://www.seirus.com/snow-sports-ByTag/quick-combos/

Mags
02-01-2014, 11:55
Wrote something up because of this and a parallel discussion on BPL. Now off to go ski and use something I talked about :)
http://www.pmags.com/under-cover-which-hat-to-wear

Malto
02-01-2014, 12:13
Wrote something up because of this and a parallel discussion on BPL. Now off to go ski and use something I talked about :)
http://www.pmags.com/under-cover-which-hat-to-wear

If you are wearing a bandana "Lawrence of Arabia" style than why not combine with visor instead of ball cap? I don't have a hair of hair on my head and this setup has been my go to year round while hiking with any sun issues I have treated it with Permethrin so even bugs are at bay. Started using the Headsweats visor per Skurkas reco and mounted my headlamp on the back strap for instant access. I'm sure you have thought of this, why the cap?

Mags
02-01-2014, 12:38
If you are wearing a bandana "Lawrence of Arabia" style than why not combine with visor instead of ball cap? I don't have a hair of hair on my head and this setup has been my go to year round while hiking with any sun issues I have treated it with Permethrin so even bugs are at bay. Started using the Headsweats visor per Skurkas reco and mounted my headlamp on the back strap for instant access. I'm sure you have thought of this, why the cap?

that at was more of a joke. :) I actually wear the boonie hat as I prefer the wide bride for sun protection vs a visor. I wear the wide brimmed hat with a bandana, too.
i did mention wearing a bandana with a visor, but I admittedly should make that clearer.

a visor or ball cap does not provide as much sun protection vs a wide brimmed hat. The trade off, of course is less ventilation.

EDIT: updated to make a couple of points clearer. Thx!

redseal
02-01-2014, 19:22
Much like others have said, I would recommend a Buff for its versatility.

Shonryu
02-05-2014, 02:06
I have a mountain hardwear rappel which is basically a synthetic buff that can be used as a buff, as a partial balaclava, or headband. I also carry a blackrock down hat and mountain hardwear micro dome total weight is under 3oz. That and a bandanna on me at all times.

I perfer multi functional pieces that can be used in conjunction with one another or layerd for extra warmth in a specific area.

Chubbs4U
02-05-2014, 02:14
I just picked up a fleece from arc'teryx that has a balaclava built into it and tucks away when you don't need it. I really like it, but haven't really been able to test it out yet.

The Konseal or Fortez? I wanted one but just havent had the funds...