PDA

View Full Version : Black Hills South Dakota

tphennig
09-05-2005, 21:22
Anyone ever been hiking in the Black Hills in South Dakota. Can anyone tell me things that are a must see or things to watch out for etc... I'm thinking about a trip in late October.

MOWGLI
09-05-2005, 21:26
I spent some time out there in the early 90s. Custer State park is beautiful. I just googled Hiking + Custer SP, and came up with the Centennial Trail. This is an interesting 111 mile multi-use (non-motorized) trail. Its the longest trail in South Dakota.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_forest/sd/hik_bcen.htm

I haven't hiked it, but it looks interesting.

Shutterbug
09-05-2005, 21:39
I spent some time in South Dakota in July -- following the Lewis and Clark Trail. There is a lot of open space.

I enjoyed climbing Spirit Mound which is just North of Vermillion, SD. It was visited by Lewis and Clark on thier journey west. As they approached the area, their native American friends told them of this place that was inhabited by "Spirit People." The Spirit People were supposed to be about 4 feet tall, but were armed with bows with poison arrows. The Native American's would not go close to Spirit Mound. Of course, Lewis and Clark had to go explore the area for themselves.

You can see my photos of Spirit Mound and the area at http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/corps.html

I am attaching a photo of Spirit Mound

Whistler
09-05-2005, 21:53
I agree that the Custer SP is very cool, nice hiking and history there. I also think the high point at Harney Peak could be a very cool side trip. If you've got time, the Badlands NP is worth at least a few hours of your time.

If you like large-scale honorific sculpture, the Crazy Horse and Rushmore memorials beckon...
-Mark

Frosty
09-05-2005, 22:07
Bring a tent, not a hammock :)

Heater
09-06-2005, 01:15
Anyone ever been hiking in the Black Hills in South Dakota. Can anyone tell me things that are a must see or things to watch out for etc... I'm thinking about a trip in late October.
Rocky Racoon.:)