PDA

View Full Version : How to do an Amazon mail drop

frogmonkey
01-30-2014, 01:28
I want to order a couple of things from Amazon while on the trail, but how do I go about making sure it's addressed properly?

leaftye
01-30-2014, 02:10
You can try sending it General Delivery to the post office, but I wouldn't. I tried that before and ended up having to go an hour down the highway to pick up my package at a UPS satellite hub. They both knew they couldn't delivery it with UPS, but they went ahead with it anyway even though they have the option of using USPS. If you try it anyway, talk with customer service immediately after placing the order to make sure they send it with USPS. Better to send it "C/O" to places you'll stay at like hostels or trail angels.

leaftye
01-30-2014, 02:12
Actually, Fedex and UPS both have lower cost services that use USPS for the final stage of delivery, and that should work. Unfortunately I don't see a way as an Amazon Prime member to select that or USPS-only for shipment. I wish those were options.

Monkeywrench
01-30-2014, 08:30
I ordered things from Amazon during my thru-hike and had them delivered General Delivery to post offices with no problem. Maybe I was just lucky.

max patch
01-30-2014, 09:59
I asked Amazon customer service a few months ago if I could specify using the postal service for delivery and they told me this was not possible.

On a related note, Road Runner Sports (shoes, socks) will allow you to specify how orders will be delivered. Just order via telephone and tell the rep. Do not order online.

lonehiker
01-30-2014, 10:20
I just called Amazon customer service. They have no way of knowing what method an item will be shipped until the order comes in and speed of delivery is requested. The quicker the shipment method requested (i.e. 2 day) the more likely that it will be shipped UPS or FedEx, thereby not being able to ship to post office. But, if you had your order shipped to a motel/hostel, outfitter etc. you would have an actual street address and this would not be an issue. So I think that the answer to your question is to change the ship to address in your amazon account to the street address of the business that you will have the item shipped. Obviously I would verify that said business will hold packages for hikers.

tarditi
01-30-2014, 12:02
Soon the delivery drone will be able to deliver to you where you stand. :-)

Blissful
01-30-2014, 15:28
Hopefully you can have it sent to a hostel, motel, or nearby trail angel.

SCRUB HIKER
01-30-2014, 16:15
I ordered things from Amazon during my thru-hike and had them delivered General Delivery to post offices with no problem. Maybe I was just lucky.

I think you were. I knew a lot of people on the PCT this year who had this issue. Amazon's shipping algorithm hasn't yet learned that anything addressed General Delivery to a PO means "DON'T SEND THIS VIA UPS."

I've only ever had online purchases shipped to businesses, trail angels or hostels and I addressed them using the usual maildrop format (found in AWOL's book, for example). I never had an issue.

10-K
01-31-2014, 08:13
I want to order a couple of things from Amazon while on the trail, but how do I go about making sure it's addressed properly?

1. Choose a business or trail angel instead of the post office.

2. Find out the street address for that location.

3. Order.

It's that simple.

With a minimal amount of planning I can't imagine why this couldn't be done from terminus to terminus.