PDA

View Full Version : Trimpi Shelter

Whistler
09-05-2005, 21:29
This shelter is a fairly short walk downhill east of the AT. The water source is a few steps in front of the shelter, not too bad. What I most remember are bugs, vegetation, and humidity. A pretty lush area, but still some decent campsites just a ways to the north and downhill. The structure itself has 2 sets of platforms and small bunks, separated by a gravel area and a fireplace sort of thing. Sized to fit 6 or so.
-Mark

Sly
09-05-2005, 22:36
I did a zero here spending two nights waiting on some hiking buddies. Loved the fire place, I had three branchless trees about 3-4 inches wide and 14 feet long feeding a fire nearly the entire time.

Plus, this is the 1st place I met the near legendary Baltimore Jack hiking into Trail Days with the most awesome Time to Fly- Had a few shots of Jim that day!

5/13/97 and that's a fact, Jack! ;)

Boots73
12-29-2009, 14:44
We stayed here in Sept of 2008. It was dry but we had gotten the news by the "trail telegraph" so we carried in enough water. We did have a run in with mud wasps and one of our group was stung many times... ugh! Shelter was great!

Montana Mac
03-11-2011, 16:35
I am planning a section hike the second week of April starting at Mount Rogers Visitor Center and hiking south.

Planning on spending the first night at/around Trimpi Shelter. Just wondering the conditions around this shelter for tent sites and water. I figure there will be NOBOs there and I feel a thru should get first choice of the shelter if they want but I also like the convenience of having a level spot to setup the stove and cook. :)

I hiked through there in 09 but didn't stay/stop at the shelter.

Thanks in advance for any replies

DripDry
03-11-2011, 17:05
We camped there last year- I remember there be a large mostly flat camping spot in front of the shelter. Mostly I remember the coyotes just outside of camp!

DripDry
03-11-2011, 17:08
Oh and Mac- there was water there in late March/early April last year when we came through (and that should have been "I remember there being")

Cookerhiker
03-11-2011, 17:39
I stayed there in the winter of '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=87809) with snow on the ground so I don't remember anything about tent sites but I think water was plentiful.

Kerosene
03-11-2011, 20:02
Lots of sites in a flat area down below the shelter. A group was camping down there and didn't talk of any flooding after a particularly heavy thunderstorm passed through.

Montana Mac
03-11-2011, 20:22
Thanks for the replies

GeneralLee10
03-11-2011, 21:03
Had burgers and beer there!! Not much wood around but made it work. That was the first night I met Pony P...:D

GeneralLee10
03-11-2011, 22:29
May this be the one your thining of here?

JEBjr
03-11-2011, 23:54
I did the same hike last Spring. Trimpi is a pretty easy walk from the Mount Roger's HQ. Mostly downhill for 11 miles. Loved the field just before the shelter with the old school bus in. Watch out for the cows, if you are uncomfortable around bovine. Just look out for the male.

Plenty of camping spots at Trimpi. Not beautful grassy sites but level and plenty of trees to hang a hammock too. The water source wasn't that impressive from what I recall but it had water.

The walk up to Hurricane Shelter for lunch the next day was the worst climb for me on the way to Damascus.

Have a great trip.