PDA

View Full Version : In search of an internal frame "with pockets" like an external frame.

Different Socks
01-30-2014, 11:21
I am a big fan of external frame packs. I have used them on countless hikes and overnights and several thru hikes.
I attempted to use an internal frame on my PCT hike but switched over to my trusted external frame after only 400 miles b/c of several issues:

--everything had to be bagged or sacked and then put inside the pack.
--b/c everything was "inside" the pack, I didn't have easy access to anything unless it was on the top
--side pockets on the internal were much too small.

With my external frame, I knew where everything was in the outside pockets, even if it was total darkness. I didn't have to worry about putting things in different colored bags to identify the contents.

So my question is this: Is there a pack that is internal frame, has a top pocket, side pockets that extend beyond the main pack like those on an external frame, and even has front pockets, yet it can be used for a weekend to week long hike?

Slo-go'en
01-30-2014, 12:33
Six Moons Design has a front loader pack which might be as close as you can get. I have some detactable side pockets which attach to the chich straps often found on the side of internal frame packs, you maybe able to still find those.

I eventually came to the conclusion I don't like the front loaders anymore. When you open it up, everything falls out unless you lay the pack down. I also don't like packs with a roll down top. A top pocket (brain or attic as some call it) is just too handy not to have.

But I have to admit, my old Camp Trails frame pack with all its different compartments was nice, too bad it weighs 7 pounds!

Different Socks
01-30-2014, 12:37
Six Moons Design has a front loader pack which might be as close as you can get. I have some detactable side pockets which attach to the chich straps often found on the side of internal frame packs, you maybe able to still find those.

I eventually came to the conclusion I don't like the front loaders anymore. When you open it up, everything falls out unless you lay the pack down. I also don't like packs with a roll down top. A top pocket (brain or attic as some call it) is just too handy not to have.

But I have to admit, my old Camp Trails frame pack with all its different compartments was nice, too bad it weighs 7 pounds!

Was your Camp Trails an Omega? B/c that's my long time trusted pack and empty it weighs 7 pounds-UGH! Used it on the AT, IAT, PCT, CDT, OHT and many other trails. I love the handy access, but I'm 50 and need to start thinking about that 7 pound empty weight.

grayfox
01-30-2014, 12:39
As you probably know, the stuff inside the internal frame pack provides the structure and rigidity for the pack and that is why you don't see many internal frame packs with exterior pockets. Once you start packing heavy stuff in those pockets you have just an awkward bag of stuff to carry. Check out Duluth Packs for designs of frameless rucksacks with pockets that have worked for hundreds of years--then look for the same features in a modern material. I think that the golite design of stretchy side and front pouches is as close as you can get in a light pack. I sometimes carry a small belt pack in front, clipped in as part of my hip belt, for my quick access things.

Slo-go'en
01-30-2014, 14:10
Was your Camp Trails an Omega? B/c that's my long time trusted pack and empty it weighs 7 pounds-UGH! Used it on the AT, IAT, PCT, CDT, OHT and many other trails. I love the handy access, but I'm 50 and need to start thinking about that 7 pound empty weight.

The patch on the front pocket says "Wolf Pack" - here's a picture. This pack has a LOT of miles on it...

RCBear
01-30-2014, 21:01
Most internal frames do have external pockets. The UL products typically have fewer to none for the obvious reasons, but many of the offerings from osprey, Gregory, Kelty and others offer lots of options outside the main compartment. It comes with the weight gain of course, but that's a tradeoff I'm cool with. I always pack my outside pockets first however so I don't render them useless by filling the interior first.