PDA

View Full Version : How Many Creeks To Ford?

Chair-man
01-30-2014, 12:48
About how many creeks would one have to ford between Springer & Harpers Farry?

and between Harpers Ferry & Mt Katahdin?

Also, I'm looking for an alternative to Crocs. A light weight slipper for streams, shelters & hostles. Any suggestions?

Starchild
01-30-2014, 12:58
I don't recall any from S>HF, but did have trails that were flooded, once in the Smokies due to heavy rain + snowmelt, and another beyond Roan and after ciracera <sp> hostel, but the trail was rerouted on the road because of this.

As for the northern half, one in CT - but that should be repaired as it is usually a rock hop, I think 4-5 in ME, IIRC 2 of them on the same day on the way to Baxer's shelter.

Also there were 2 flooded section in NJ.

Additionally there could be washouts, high water fordings where fording should not be and bridges gone where fording is needed anywhere along the trail and known fords may be rock hoppable if the water level is low enough.

Starchild
01-30-2014, 13:01
In the Smokies I used crocks, I abandoned them at a motel.

From there I would either bearfoot, or use the innersole of my boot placed into my camp socks and used them for make shift water shoes, then I let them dry on my pack as I hiked without innersoles.

When raining or feet totally soaked I just walked thru the water with my boots.

Slo-go'en
01-30-2014, 13:54
The only serious fords are in the 100 mile wilderness just before you get to Baxter. There are countless little streams to cross which are usually easy rock hops, but can be tricky after a heavy rain storm, during which the trail it's self often becomes a stream. I've seen it so bad the water running down the trail was over the tops of my boots! In New England, if it's raining and your not walking through water, your not on the trail!

And never, ever cross a stream barefoot. I was lazy once and did that and broke a toe when I slipped off a slimmy rock and almost did a face plant in the stream too.

bigcranky
01-30-2014, 13:56
I can't remember any real fords from Springer to HF. There are plenty of places where the trail itself becomes a creek in heavy rain, but that's not the same thing. :)

Chair-man
01-30-2014, 14:49
Thanks, what about putting plastic bags with rubber bands over your boots to cross a stream? Seems like it would keep most of the water out but could be a recipe for disaster if you step on a slippery mossy rock.

Slo-go'en
01-30-2014, 15:01
Thanks, what about putting plastic bags with rubber bands over your boots to cross a stream? Seems like it would keep most of the water out but could be a recipe for disaster if you step on a slippery mossy rock.

Better to put your feet in the plastic bags, then dump the water out of your shoes. But really, it isn't an issue to worry about. Most streams without a bridge are only a few feet across and have convenient stepping stones.

When you finally get to the HMW in Maine, there are 3-4 stream crossings which are 10 to 20 feet across and there, there is no choice but to get your feet wet. Take your socks off, put your shoes back on, cross the stream, dump the water out of the shoes, wipe your feet and inside of the shoes with your pack towel or bandana and put your socks back on.

Starchild
01-30-2014, 15:02

Are those kevlar reinforced plastic bags, as I can't see a plastic bag standing up to walking over rocks and not leaking pretty quick. Lots of the streams have sharp slippery rocks. I don't see it happening. Plus lots of the crossings are much higher then boot high, at one of them I was over my waist.

Astro
01-30-2014, 15:24
Try these. Much lighter than crocs and easy to attach to your backpack. Sometimes on sale even more (like 65%), and womens usually cheaper than mens (just watch the colors, international sizing makes it easy to convert).

http://www.6pm.com/vivobarefoot-ultra-pure-m-royal-blue

Blissful
01-30-2014, 15:24
The true fords are in Maine. There are just creek crossings on the rest of it, some tougher than others depending on rain.

lonehiker
01-30-2014, 15:37
Take your socks off, put your shoes back on, cross the stream, dump the water out of the shoes, wipe your feet and inside of the shoes with your pack towel or bandana and put your socks back on.

Would add to the above advice to remove your insoles as well. One less thing to absorb water.

Chair-man
01-30-2014, 15:43
Take your socks off, put your shoes back on, cross the stream, dump the water out of the shoes, wipe your feet and inside of the shoes with your pack towel or bandana and put your socks back on.

Thanks, that sounds like the way to go.

Chair-man
01-30-2014, 15:52
Try these. Much lighter than crocs and easy to attach to your backpack. Sometimes on sale even more (like 65%), and womens usually cheaper than mens (just watch the colors, international sizing makes it easy to convert).

5oz for the pair, that's pretty good since my Yukon Crocs come in at 16.7 oz for the pair.

Pedaling Fool
01-30-2014, 16:49
First you need to define "Ford". To me it's not a fording unless the water is knee-high. Or you can make it all the way across on rocks and stuff without getting wet, regardless of water depth.

Under that definition there is no fording in that section, unless it's been raining; I had to do a couple fords just north of Erwin after some heavy rains, the following year was completely dry in that section.

Pedaling Fool
01-30-2014, 16:58
First you need to define "Ford". To me it's not a fording unless the water is knee-high. Or you can make it all the way across on rocks and stuff without getting wet, regardless of water depth.

Under that definition there is no fording in that section, unless it's been raining; I had to do a couple fords just north of Erwin after some heavy rains, the following year was completely dry in that section.

Whoops...I only saw the question about the section between Springer and Harpers. For the rest I agree with the below quote.

The only serious fords are in the 100 mile wilderness just before you get to Baxter. There are countless little streams to cross which are usually easy rock hops, but can be tricky after a heavy rain storm, during which the trail it's self often becomes a stream. I've seen it so bad the water running down the trail was over the tops of my boots! In New England, if it's raining and your not walking through water, your not on the trail!

And never, ever cross a stream barefoot. I was lazy once and did that and broke a toe when I slipped off a slimmy rock and almost did a face plant in the stream too.

Rick Hancock
01-30-2014, 17:24
From Springer to Harpers Ferry there are 100's of tiny to moderate "water crossings" most aren't a problem unless there's been a period of heavy rain. Even then, most are just a rock hop. Most water crossings of any size are bridged whether a simple log or 2 or something substantial like the bridge crossing the Tye River on Rt.56 in Va. If your wearing trail runners your problem is mostly solved, just ford and keep moving your lightweight mesh runners will dry fairly fast. Heavy leather hikers are another matter the trick is keeping them dry as you can. Most people do remove the liner or have separate camp shoes to use for crossing water.
From Harpers Ferry to Katahdin same thing, a bunch of various crossings that are of little concern unless there are periods of rain. There are however, a couple of places in Maine that you need to think about what your doing to cross safely. In 1980 I crossed the Kennebec on foot and was washed down stream about 1/2 of the length of a football field. The following year a lady drowned when she lost her footing and her pack took her under. A good example is the Mill Creek crossing heading north toward Waynesboro in Va. Most of the time I cross the creek and barely get the soles of my shoes wet but early spring or and rough weather I've seen water knee to mid thigh deep. Not often , but it has happened.

daddytwosticks
01-30-2014, 17:33
There are no creeks that need to be forded between Springer and Clingman's Dome to my recollection. All creeks/streamcrossings were a rock hop or had some sort of bridge. :)

BCPete
01-30-2014, 17:36
5oz for the pair, that's pretty good since my Yukon Crocs come in at 16.7 oz for the pair.

I saw that also, but my assumption was that was the weight for just a single shoe and so you'd be looking at 10 oz for the pair. If a pair were only 5 oz ... that seems too good to be true!

Rick Hancock
01-30-2014, 17:37
I should clarify...I wasn't "washed downstream" the current moved me at an angle to the opposite shore. Didn't want you to think I was bobbing like a cork.

Jeff
01-30-2014, 18:18
The fords in Maine are highly dependent on recent rainfall. Most SOBO's will tell you about waist to chest high crossings in June after a rainstorm. NOBO's in August see knee to thigh deep water. Of course, there is always the exception...and how short you are. :)

George
01-30-2014, 19:20
I hike in mesh running shoes, just walk right through the water, 50 steps on the other side the water has pumped right out

LAF
01-30-2014, 19:32
Means chest high for me then even though nobo, yeah, short legs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALLEGHENY
01-30-2014, 19:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S3Mx3w1aaWU

Not my vid but I was with this group at Wilson Creek in 2012.

Astro
01-30-2014, 20:21

They are good, but not quite that good (that is only for one shoe). Mine are 8oz for the pair, still half of your crocs. Must also admit that HikerBoy is the one who introduced me to these.

hikerboy57
01-30-2014, 22:02

They are good, but not quite that good (that is only for one shoe). Mine are 8oz for the pair, still half of your crocs. Must also admit that HikerBoy is the one who introduced me to these.all the cool kids have em

slbirdnerd
01-31-2014, 09:35

This, but also take your insoles out of your shoes first. If you have a good absorbent towel (zpacks lightload or a shammy type), put it then your foot into each shoe to suck up some of the water.

Hot Flash
01-31-2014, 09:51

Plus, Crocs look really stupid.

peakbagger
01-31-2014, 14:46
There is at least one ford on Soth Arm Road in Maine just north of Moody Mtn. There are step stones but if there has been recent rain it could turn into a short ford. The is also one west of Monson crossing the Piscatquis river. Generally they are nice place to take break and get your feet wet.

As for me I carry Teva's. I had boot issues about 10 years ago on a section hike and had a choice between Tevas or bailing. I did 18 miles the next day in Tevas and 10 the next to get out to my car in the rocky section of PA no less.