PDA

View Full Version : What do you carry your Alcohol ifuel in?

Whistler80
01-31-2014, 08:53
Recently moved to alcohol stove planning a 5 day section in May. Just wondering what others carry their fuel in. Thanks

pipsissewa
01-31-2014, 09:05
I use bottles like this for short trips:

For longer trips, I use an old hair color bottle with the same kind of top like this:

These tops are great for squirting alcohol into my catfood can stove and they make a reliable seal. Good luck!

pipsissewa
01-31-2014, 09:07
P.S. I put whatever fuel bottle I'm carrying inside a Ziplock bag for extra security.

squeezebox
01-31-2014, 09:13
I plan on using Heet red ( 99% isopropyl ) that way I can also use it as hand sanitizer. I don't want the contamination of denatured alcohol soaking through my skin.

burger
01-31-2014, 09:18
Any 16-oz. soda or water bottle will be perfectly fine--I've never had one leak. I used one bottle for the entire CDT.

Foresight
01-31-2014, 09:21
Serious question here....WTH is wrong with the plastic bottle that HEET comes in?

rocketsocks
01-31-2014, 09:24

I use to carry mine in a Tequila bottle ;) but now I use these, like pipsissewa.

rocketsocks
01-31-2014, 09:27
Serious question here....WTH is wrong with the plastic bottle that HEET comes in?Nothin at all, but I buy my alcohol from the big "Orange Box" in a large container, "Kleen strip" brand, and my little squirt bottle is just easier for me to dispense it from. Heat Bottle would work just fine too.

4eyedbuzzard
01-31-2014, 10:36
I plan on using Heet red ( 99% isopropyl ) that way I can also use it as hand sanitizer. I don't want the contamination of denatured alcohol soaking through my skin.

You should reconsider your plan. Isopropal alcohol smokes and leaves smoky residue on pots. Not a good fuel. Just don't take a bath in the methanol (Yellow HEET) and you'll be fine. Methanol occurs naturally in very small quantities in many fruits and their juices. You definitely don't want to drink out outright, but a little on you're fingers once in a while isn't going to hurt you.

CarlZ993
01-31-2014, 10:47
Any 16-oz. soda or water bottle will be perfectly fine--I've never had one leak. I used one bottle for the entire CDT.
+1. Lasted the entire AT hike. Kept it in a gallon ziplock baggie just in case. Never leaked.

CalebJ
01-31-2014, 10:49
Depends on how long you're going between resupplies. For most trips I use a 4.5 ounce contact solution bottle. Plenty for 5 days or so.

burger
01-31-2014, 11:22
Serious question here....WTH is wrong with the plastic bottle that HEET comes in?They leak! I had one lose half it's contents before I even took off the foil seal (there must've been a leak + a bunch of evaporation). Another one that I opened leaked all over the place--those lids are pretty small.

Also, with an opaque bottle, you don't know exactly how much you have left. And I'd bet dollars to donuts that the original bottle is heavier than any soda bottle you'd use.

Mags
01-31-2014, 11:26
I like using a Sprite or Mtn Drew bottle. It is green and sticks out. Less likely to accidentally drink. Which HAS happened to thru-hikers in the past.

Odd Man Out
01-31-2014, 12:03
Gram weenies may object, but mouth wash bottles have large caps that make nice measuring cups.

Rocket Jones
01-31-2014, 12:09
Red Heet makes for lousy alcohol stove fuel.

Yellow Heet bottles have two kinds of caps, a pry-off and a screw off. I've never had much luck with either being leak-proof once opened.

RED-DOG
01-31-2014, 12:31
I use the really small Mt dew bottles like the 12oz ones.

Farr Away
01-31-2014, 13:48
I use an emptied and cleaned camp soap bottle. I marked 1/2 ounce lines on it with a permanent marker, then painted over the lines with clear nail polish. (Permanent isn't necessarily so if you get alcohol on it.)

The lines mean I don't have to pour the alcohol into something to measure it.

-FA

Foresight
01-31-2014, 14:08
"They leak"

Good enough reason right there.

squeezebox
01-31-2014, 14:16
Are you sure the methanol won't leach through my skin and make my brain all stupid and funny ??

Whistler80
01-31-2014, 15:42
Depends on how long you're going between resupplies. For most trips I use a 4.5 ounce contact solution bottle. Plenty for 5 days or so.
I like this one. I always felt bad tossing those things in the recycle bin. Nice control of the amount that comes out.

Wise Old Owl
01-31-2014, 17:19

The leak is from the paper and foil cap - it was designed to a one use gas tank. it is in your best interest to use another bottle well labeled - However using a soda bottle for a poison is illegal and is the source of many lawsuits. There are federal laws associated to this behavior. As Mags pointed out he knows people that have made the mistake. It was even used as a warning on the series Moonshine. If you knew the dangers would you do it again?
Here is what you need to know from the MSDS.

Methanol

Skin Contact: Moderate Eye Contact: Moderate Ingestion: Major Inhalation: Major Effects of Short-Term (Acute) Exposure:
Inhalation: Inhalation of high airborne concentrations can also irritate mucous membranes, cause headaches, sleepiness, nausea, confusion, loss of consciousness, digestive and visual disturbances and even death. NOTE: Odor threshold of methanol is several times higher than the TLV-TWA. Depending upon severity of poisoning and the promptness of treatment, survivors may recover completely or may have permanent blindness, vision disturbances and/or nervous stem effects. Concentrations in air exceeding 1000ppm may cause irritation of the mucous membranes. Using stove in a small air tight space doesn’t take much to get sick.

Skin Contact: Methanol is moderately irritating to the skin. Methanol can be absorbed through the skin and harmful effects have been reported by this route of entry. Effects are similar to those described in “Inhalation”

Eye Contact: Methanol is a mild to moderate eye irritant. High vapor concentration or liquid contact with eyes causes irritation, tearing and burning. “Think contact lenses as a transfer from the fingers.”

Ingestion: Swallowing even small amounts of methanol could potentially cause blindness or death. Effects of sub lethal doses may be nausea, headache, abdominal pain, vomiting and visual disturbances ranging from blurred vision to light sensitivity.

Mags... I often wondered why the once a year posts "lets put Methanol in soda bottles" doesn't fall under toss "recommending illegal activity" or just plain stupid.

lonehiker
01-31-2014, 17:25
The leak is from the paper and foil cap - it was designed to a one use gas tank. it is in your best interest to use another bottle well labeled - However using a soda bottle for a poison is illegal and is the source of many lawsuits. There are federal laws associated to this behavior. As Mags pointed out he knows people that have made the mistake. It was even used as a warning on the series Moonshine. If you knew the dangers would you do it again?
Here is what you need to know from the MSDS.

Methanol

Skin Contact: Moderate Eye Contact: Moderate Ingestion: Major Inhalation: Major Effects of Short-Term (Acute) Exposure:
Inhalation: Inhalation of high airborne concentrations can also irritate mucous membranes, cause headaches, sleepiness, nausea, confusion, loss of consciousness, digestive and visual disturbances and even death. NOTE: Odor threshold of methanol is several times higher than the TLV-TWA. Depending upon severity of poisoning and the promptness of treatment, survivors may recover completely or may have permanent blindness, vision disturbances and/or nervous stem effects. Concentrations in air exceeding 1000ppm may cause irritation of the mucous membranes. Using stove in a small air tight space doesn’t take much to get sick.

Skin Contact: Methanol is moderately irritating to the skin. Methanol can be absorbed through the skin and harmful effects have been reported by this route of entry. Effects are similar to those described in “Inhalation”

Eye Contact: Methanol is a mild to moderate eye irritant. High vapor concentration or liquid contact with eyes causes irritation, tearing and burning. “Think contact lenses as a transfer from the fingers.”

Ingestion: Swallowing even small amounts of methanol could potentially cause blindness or death. Effects of sub lethal doses may be nausea, headache, abdominal pain, vomiting and visual disturbances ranging from blurred vision to light sensitivity.

Mags... I often wondered why the once a year posts "lets put Methanol in soda bottles" doesn't fall under toss "recommending illegal activity" or just plain stupid.

This post makes me want to use a pop bottle to store my fuel.

Malto
01-31-2014, 17:52
I bought a case of 8 oz water bottles before my thru. I had a new bottle with every resupply and it would typically hold up to five days worth of fuel. Worked wonderfully.

burger
01-31-2014, 17:53
If you knew the dangers would you do it again?Yes. Yes, I would.

I've used soda bottles for my last 6000 or so miles of backpacking and have never come close to drinking fuel. I keep the bottle in a ziploc, and as soon as I pour it in my stove, the bottle goes back in the bag. Zero chance of a mistake.

Under exactly what law is repacking HEET illegal?

Just Bill
01-31-2014, 18:26
I prefer to store my alcohol differently based upon the season-
In winter I generally store it in whiskey.
Spring is a good time for Vodka.
Summer is best with Rum.
Fall generally calls for scotch.

I have yet to find an Esbit leak in my pack.

Mags
01-31-2014, 18:44

Wise old owl, many backpackers use this method. Myself included. My only suggestion was to use a green colored bottle so it sticks out a bit.

I'd like to think I am reasonably experienced at this point. :)

handlebar
01-31-2014, 20:05
Red Heet is NOT a good fuel for alcohol stove. It'll carbon up your pots and doesn't have very good heat value. You need to use Yellow Heet.

handlebar
01-31-2014, 20:10
I use the brown root bear soda bottle with a distinctive neck shape and a top from Packafeather: http://packafeather.com/fuelbottle.html

Spirit Walker
01-31-2014, 20:24
Mountain Dew bottle. But do be careful not to mix it up. One time we headed out on a weekend and left our water bottles in the fridge so we bought a couple of sodas on the drive. As I was fixing dinner at our campsite, DH reached for the wrong bottle. He spit it out immediately, but we were scared he'd done some serious damage. After that we started putting duct tape on the fuel bottle so there's never confusion.

Wise Old Owl
01-31-2014, 22:49
Thanks Spirit Walker - Folk's I opologise for the soap box I was standing on... this gets dredged up over and over... 30Ml of this stuff drunk on the trail and miles from help? you're a goner. Look at a cough syrup measure to see how small that is. Look I love alcohol stoves I made a bunch of them.

Here's some other things... Canada tracks & posts these accidental poisonings - America does - but will not post it on the internet. We know regular alcohol kills 30,000 people each year. A large number of that is accidental overdose, mostly older adults. Methanol accidental poisoning happens to kids, teens, and adults. feel free to read up on this - lots of stuff out there.

ON a side note - I found this tonight.
Unlike petroleum fires, methanol fires can be extinguished with plain water. A methanol-based fire burns invisibly. Methanol is readily biodegradable in both aerobic (oxygen present) and anaerobic (oxygen absent) environments. Methanol will not persist in the environment. The half-life for methanol in groundwater is just one to seven days. Since methanol is miscible with water and biodegradable, it is unlikely to accumulate in groundwater, surface water, air or soil.

Lets be careful out there.

pipsissewa
02-01-2014, 07:06
I prefer to store my alcohol differently based upon the season-
In winter I generally store it in whiskey.
Spring is a good time for Vodka.
Summer is best with Rum.
Fall generally calls for scotch.

I have yet to find an Esbit leak in my pack.

Yeah, but burning Esbit tabs STINK!!! (just my two cents)

Drybones
02-01-2014, 10:23
Yeah, but burning Esbit tabs STINK!!! (just my two cents)

Yeah, but after two weeks on the trail it helps cover the scent of the user.

VTATHiker
02-01-2014, 10:46
I'm a fan of these measure-and-pour containers (http://www.freundcontainer.com/twin-neck-bettix-measure-pour-bottle-internal-chamber/p/3250B51/). It never leaked on me in 2100 miles, and it was nice to be able to measure out what I needed. That said, I could do the same with just a soda bottle and utilizing its cap as a measuring cup.

Drybones
02-01-2014, 11:12
Listerine bottles are durable, pack well, have a lock-on cap, and the caps can be used to measure. The 8 oz bottle cap holds 1/2 oz, the 16 oz bottle holds 1 oz. I normally use the 8 oz for fuel. For a 3-4 day trip I use a round 4 oz bottle that fits inside my beer-can pot. I've been using a Smartwater bottle for water but may try a 32 oz Listerine bottle next time because it's flat and should be easy to get in/out of the pack.

squeezebox
02-01-2014, 13:34
My reason for the OH stove is backup in case a canister goes dry. I do not plan on using it much. And the isopropyl is a much better choice for hand sanitizer than the risk of methanol soaking through my skin. I'll bring a piece of AL foil to cover the pot if necessary. thanks for the soot info. As I said the OH stove is only for making do. At this point I'm planning on doing real cooking. I even found the perfect storage container for 1/2 lb. of butter. Buttery oatmeal and grits sounds like a good way to get some extra fat calories.

Wise Old Owl
02-01-2014, 13:52
Although its been a few years, since my testing, Isopropyl alcohol isn't as hot and is frequently mixed with water. If part of your fuel is left over and went out - that's the residual water...

I think you can use Methanol safety without taking a bath in it.

lonehiker
02-01-2014, 14:16
I use an 8oz flask-like bottle with flip-top lid that you can buy from REI. I've marked the ounces with a marker. Being flat, it fits well in an external pocket of my pack. I burn methanol and have been known to use it periodically as a hand sanitizer. Also will use a small amount to clean my spoon every few days. Although I do rinse the spoon with water afterwards.

Nodust
02-01-2014, 17:20
Under exactly what law is repacking HEET illegal?
Not illegal if the new bottle is properly labeled. Put what in it and go online and find a OSHA 23 label for the product. Good to go.

Nodust
02-01-2014, 17:29
The little 4oz bottles with the squirt tops would be illegal to use also if they aren't labeled.

Label your poisons folks.

Biggie Master
02-01-2014, 18:06
I'm not sure that packaging and labeling requirements (laws) apply to the consumer. Those laws govern the manufacture, sales, and distribution of poison or toxic materials by businesses. An individual or end consumer is not held to the same standard as a business or transporter... My last trip with alcohol, it was in a small Coke bottle... The time before it was in a small Listerine bottle. It stays sealed and packed with my cook kit. That, and the fact that I use Gatorade or Powerade bottles for water, mean there is zero chance of mistaking it for water when I'm walking or cooking.

Nodust
02-01-2014, 19:04
I'm not sure that packaging and labeling requirements (laws) apply to the consumer. Those laws govern the manufacture, sales, and distribution of poison or toxic materials by businesses. An individual or end consumer is not held to the same standard as a business or transporter...
I think the laws are the same. Now what agency would enforce those laws I don't know, there may not be one. But a sharpie and duct tape is worth the effort I think.

SunnyWalker
02-01-2014, 19:52
This is mine:http://traildesigns.com/accessories/fuel-bottle-kit This is an 8 oz., bottle and by feel in the dark one will know it is not a pop bottle, etc.

Another Kevin
02-01-2014, 20:55
Poland Spring bottle, with the water bottle label removed and a laser-print NFPA 704 label stuck on it. Haven't had one leak yet. In good weather it rides in one of the mesh pockets in my pack so that if it does leak, it'll leak to the outside and not foul my gear.

squeezebox
02-01-2014, 21:17
Red Heet is 99% isopropyl, the best I've seen in the drug store is 70%, Again I'm thinking hand sanitizer and a rare stove burn. I'll try it and let ya know how it works. With my background Ethyl OH is too much a temptation.

lynn523
02-01-2014, 21:31
"I like using a Sprite or Mtn Drew bottle. It is green and sticks out. Less likely to accidentally drink. Which HAS happened to thru-hikers in the past."

Exactly this, but we bought a flip up top that let's us squeeze the Heet out instead of pouring it out and a tiny straw we can attach to the flip top to pull any unused Heet back into the bottle. Between the green color, flip top cap, and having our windscreen always rolled around it before storage in an outer pocket, I think we'd deserve the Darwin Award if we managed to accidentally drink it.

Mags
02-01-2014, 21:49
re: flip top

That's an awesome idea! One of those simple things that most people, myself included, don't think about. Cool!

jimyjam
02-02-2014, 00:55
A child's mouth wash bottle works great. The ones with the squeeze measure top. 3 caps equals about 1 ounce and the bottles are believe are around 18 ounces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vamelungeon
02-02-2014, 13:52
I use a soft drink bottle (I don't drink the stuff so there's no danger for me) and I bought a top with a flip up straw spout that I heard about here on WB. I think the bottle I use once held Dr Pepper but I removed the label so I'm not positive. I don't recall where I bought the cap with the spout but I think a member here sells them.

vamelungeon
02-02-2014, 13:54
Here ya go- http://packafeather.com/fuelbottle.html

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 15:32
I use an emptied and cleaned camp soap bottle. I marked 1/2 ounce lines on it with a permanent marker, then painted over the lines with clear nail polish. (Permanent isn't necessarily so if you get alcohol on it.)

The lines mean I don't have to pour the alcohol into something to measure it.

-FA

That's what I've used. That, or a small see through bottle with a tight fitting screw top cap w/ fluid volume measurements on the side that I've bought for $1 at hairdressing/cosmetic/some pharmacy outlets.

Are you sure the methanol won't leach through my skin and make my brain all stupid and funny ??

Too late. You're already that way. :)

WILLIAM HAYES
02-03-2014, 20:08
16 oz plastic water bottle marked withXXXX reinforced with a band of duct tape

oldwetherman
02-03-2014, 21:34
vamelungeon. Thanks for the bottle lid link. That's pretty nice.

vamelungeon
02-04-2014, 14:59
vamelungeon. Thanks for the bottle lid link. That's pretty nice.

You're welcome. It works as advertised.

squeezebox
02-04-2014, 20:30
Sniff before you drink.

Wise Old Owl
02-09-2014, 00:31
Sniff before you drink.
Clearly this does not work there is not a difference in smell

Sparkeh
02-09-2014, 16:36
I use a poland springs water bottle with extra duct tape wrapped around it.

Tedinski
05-18-2014, 08:51
vamelungeon, thanks for the link!
I was looking for something similar, but that cap is even better.

88BlueGT
07-30-2014, 14:20
Works flawlessly

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21703

They also have a 16oz version but can't seem to find it on campmor's site.

birdygal
08-04-2014, 12:25
I like using a Sprite or Mtn Drew bottle. It is green and sticks out. Less likely to accidentally drink. Which HAS happened to thru-hikers in the past.

I used one of them when I went with my DH he drank it boy was he upset,

Rolex
08-30-2014, 02:56
Serious question here....WTH is wrong with the plastic bottle that HEET comes in?

I noticed this on this weekend. I usually use the trangia filled. And a 4 oz plastic bottle. And for a longer trip, one of the common red bottles (msr?) filled with yellow heet. I had already shipped the red bottle out and still had quite a bit left in the yellow heet bottle. So I put it in a ziplock, put it in my pack deliberately upside down. When camped, I left it on the ground on its side and dropped it a couple of times on purpose. It never leaked. I need to weigh it vs the 4 oz bottle that fits in my pot kit but I may not even carry the red fuel bottle any more.

Tianto
08-30-2014, 12:13
Recently moved to alcohol stove planning a 5 day section in May. Just wondering what others carry their fuel in. Thanks

I use this http://www.traildesigns.com/accessories/fuel-bottle-kit . It came with the Caldera stove that I purchased a few years back and has served me well. You may be able to purchase something similar elsewhere with a little research.

wnderer
08-30-2014, 15:17
I've used the Heet bottles directly. I've also used small 8 oz water bottles. I'm now using an old Southern Comfort 375 ml plastic flask that I fill from a big container of denatured ethanol. They all worked. I like the flat shape of the flask.

theinfamousj
08-30-2014, 17:30
Let's see... I use whichever of the following that I can find first and is appropriately sized for my needs:

Travel Mouthwash Bottle
Small Liquid Medicine Bottle
Caldera Cone Bottle
Shorty 8 oz Water Bottle
Travel Shampoo Bottle
Shorty 8 oz Orange Juice Bottle
Pill Bottle (some are liquid proof but not all)

wamodr01
02-26-2015, 14:30
About how many fluid ounces do you carry at a time? I know fuel consumption varies by stove and what meal you are cooking, but if I plan to use a penny can stove just for boiling water, about how boils would a 16 or 20oz coke bottle full of denatured alcohol last?

Bird Dawg
02-27-2015, 11:35
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/images/products/Bottles/66966p.jpg16 oz measuring bottle from US Plastics. With flip cap it weighs 1.25 ounces. Gives me the capability to carry more fuel if I want to. Filled with fuel, it would weigh one pound 1 and 7/8 ounces, so I wouldn't do that often - but the option is there.

RangerZ
02-27-2015, 13:16
Jack Daniels pint bottle. My wife needed some for cooking so I had to finish the rest. Painted the cap and the top and bottom inch or so blaze orange. Labeled it and marked ounce increments. I like the way the flat shape fits in a side pocket.

Odd Man Out
02-27-2015, 14:39
About how many fluid ounces do you carry at a time? I know fuel consumption varies by stove and what meal you are cooking, but if I plan to use a penny can stove just for boiling water, about how boils would a 16 or 20oz coke bottle full of denatured alcohol last?

16/20 oz lasts a very long time for me. I am now using a 12 oz Coke bottle with the Packafeather lid. It has a flip top lid and pouring spout for easy open and close. It has a gasket so it won't leak. And with the poring spout, I can suck unused fuel back into the bottle. This gives alcohol stove uses a huge increase of convenience and efficiency in that you don't have to guess exactly how much fuel you need and if you pour out more than you need, you can recover it rather than just burning it off.

http://packafeather.com/fuelbottle.html

ATAdam
02-27-2015, 19:12
I keep a big bottle of moonshine. Multi Use at its finest.

H I T C H
11-10-2016, 08:19
If you carry your fuel in a soda pop bottle you can make your own squeeze nozzle for it.
This can make filling, as well as sucking unused fuel back in the bottle easier.
They work well for filling homemade drinking straw packets too.
That is demonstrated at the end of the video below.

Here's the video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_5lJmhU9mQ&sns=em

Hitch

Moosling
11-10-2016, 09:00
I used my old travel size 2 ounce contact lens solution bottles. There is a 6 or 8 oz bottle option too I'm not sure I never throw them away when they are empty though.

Five Tango
11-10-2016, 09:47
Just because YOU know what is in that bottle that was once used to hold something for human consumption does not mean that a drunk,fool,mooch,exhausted,or otherwise unthinking person or CHILD that finds it in your closet will not accidentally drink it.There's just too many other options out there than to chance it.(rant over now)

Gambit McCrae
11-10-2016, 11:41
I use this, have it marked on the sides for a daily usage, when my fuel left starts out weighing days left, I share or use it to help start the fire. It is apx a 16-20 oz bottle

Moosling
11-10-2016, 15:30
Just because YOU know what is in that bottle that was once used to hold something for human consumption does not mean that a drunk,fool,mooch,exhausted,or otherwise unthinking person or CHILD that finds it in your closet will not accidentally drink it.There's just too many other options out there than to chance it.(rant over now)

Throw some food coloring in there, sharpie the bottle black, yeah still the risk a child would drink it but thats why you don't store it in a place that they can get to it.

rocketsocks
11-10-2016, 15:39
A small water bottle marked with skull and cross bones in 4 different languages.

Moosling
11-10-2016, 16:03
I need to find some more of those "Mr. Yuck" stickers they used to give out when I was a kid.

Five Tango
11-10-2016, 16:34
FWIW,Zelph sells a screw on cap that works just fine on the yellow Heet bottle.

swisscross
11-10-2016, 17:06
FWIW,Zelph sells a screw on cap that works just fine on the yellow Heet bottle.

The Zelph cap also fits a travel size Listerine bottle.
The bottle holds 3.5oz enough for (4) two cup boils on my stove.

H I T C H
11-10-2016, 19:48
I need to find some more of those "Mr. Yuck" stickers they used to give out when I was a kid.

You can still get Mr. Yuk stickers;

Here is the link:

http://www.chp.edu/injury-prevention/teachers-and-parents/poison-center/mr-yuk

Hitch

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2016, 22:12
All I ask is that everyone attempt to be safe out there now you know the risks.

jimmyjam
11-11-2016, 08:47
I usually just carry mine in the yellow heet bottle I bought it in.

lyagooshka
11-11-2016, 10:28

Ditto!
They seal pretty tight, and the spout is convenient.
They are pretty rugged too.
I only boil water once a day, so for me 8 oz will last a week+.

MikekiM
05-08-2017, 16:08
I am using 4oz & 8oz wide mouth Nalgene bottles. Both are labeled ** POISON **

Keep them in a zip lock bag cause I can't think of any reason not to. Never leaked.

martinb
07-01-2017, 21:38
I usually just carry mine in the yellow heet bottle I bought it in.

Me too. I wrap plumber's tape around the top, no leaks.

Dogwood
07-01-2017, 22:23
Dont know if it's been said yet as not going to read every post a 6 oz (actually holds 7 fluid ozs) softish plastic bottle w/ tight fitting flat topped harder plastic screw cap(NO leaks) bought from a hair supply place having 1/2 oz and 30 ml measurements already graduated printed firmly on the sides for thru-hikes which offer 14 total boils using 1/2 oz HEET per 1 1/2 cup boil in a Zelph Venom. The bottle nests perfectly in the Venom inside a Fosters can or Snow Peak Ti Mini Solo with room for a foldable Toaks TI spork, mini Bic (or Mg flint), micro Sea to Summit ditty cloth (used for various tasks), graduated plastic plungered syringe (given free at a pharmacy, they give them out there for dispensing liquid medicine, still looking for the smaller ones I've seen aND used to have several of that are not plungered but are squeezable plastic bulb type), and 22 ft of ZPacks line for bear bagging. I often jam a clean pr of Smartwool PhD's in there too.

For shorter hikes I have 4 oz and 2 oz upright slender plastic bottles. If you order a nice Zelph made alchy stove a nesting UL 4.5 oz bottle w/ tight fitting screw top foldING nipple dispensing cap and Nyquil type measuring cups are thrown in.

Dogwood
07-01-2017, 22:42

I carry the least amount of fuel required for the trip or between known resupplying. I might even carry a few ozs less than anticipated expecting to heat/boil water a few times in a very small very contained warming/heating campfire. To me one of the advantages of alchy stoves is the ability to really gram weenie fuel (a consumable) usage especially desirable on shorter SUL trips.

You should best know your specific fuel needs based on your stove, cooking, abilities, etc.

Dogwood
07-01-2017, 23:00
I noticed this on this weekend. I usually use the trangia filled. And a 4 oz plastic bottle. And for a longer trip, one of the common red bottles (msr?) filled with yellow heet. I had already shipped the red bottle out and still had quite a bit left in the yellow heet bottle. So I put it in a ziplock, put it in my pack deliberately upside down. When camped, I left it on the ground on its side and dropped it a couple of times on purpose. It never leaked. I need to weigh it vs the 4 oz bottle that fits in my pot kit but I may not even carry the red fuel bottle any more.

1) HEET bottles tend to leak around the opened caps

2) Might be on a short trip where only 1 or 2 oz of HEET arerequired so why should one carry a larger or heavier bottle than needed? To me this counters one of the reasons to use an alchy stove which is to minimize carrying uneeded fuel wt, container wt, or volume of such container. Think about it. Cant carry just 2 to 4 nights isobutane (compressed gas) always so readily. Also, think about the wt and volume of a can even if you do have a partial can of iso. I know it's not a prime concern for everyone but it is for those gram weenieing.

3) For those who want to have all their cooking stuff together in the most compacted space the shape of HEET bottles may interfere with that goal.

Dogwood
07-01-2017, 23:05

Sorry to Rolex. Last post was in reply to the question fromForesight.

Rolex
07-02-2017, 04:48
Sorry to Rolex. Last post was in reply to the question fromForesight.

No worries. Reminded me to go find my Trangia kit and blow the cobwebs off of it!
I too have went over to the isobutane dark side it seems.
Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelph
08-27-2017, 14:45
1) HEET bottles tend to leak around the opened caps

Be careful not to tear the foil seal on the HEET bottle top. This video shows how to open the bottle and apply the dispense cap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeGEtloYsN4