PDA

View Full Version : FBC quinoa?

perrymk
01-31-2014, 09:08
Is there a quinoa that is amenable to freezer bag cooking? I mean as easy as couscous? The quinoa I have presently requires bringing it to a boil and then a 15 minute simmer. I am hoping for a brand that requires just adding boiling water and waiting. Before I start spending money ordering various brands online I figured I might benefit from someones experience.

Thanks.

Hikes in Rain
01-31-2014, 10:02
Not that I know of, but then, I haven't looked much. I sometimes cook up brown rice, then dehydrate it into "instant". Bet you could do the same with Quinoa.

Rain Man
01-31-2014, 10:08
Check out REI, which carries three versions of this quinoa.

"Quinoa is prewashed and par-cooked; can be prepared on a stove top in about 7 - 8 min. or in the microwave in about 4 min."

Quinoa at REI. (http://www.rei.com/product/862343/keen-one-quinoa-organic-quinoa)

Rain:sunMan

blue blaze cafe
01-31-2014, 11:54
You can soak quinoa during the day as well in a baggie or a plastic jar, this will significantly cut down cook time! (This works for oatmeal and other grains or beans)

Quinoa contains all eight essential amino acids which is not typical of most plant protein sources. Also 12-18% of its calories are protein based so for example one cooked cup has 8 g of protein.

Rocket Jones
01-31-2014, 11:59
I pre-cook and then dehydrate quinoa. Add some brown sugar, Nido and dried fruit for a breakfasty change of pace that you can eat hot or cold, depending on the water you add.

HeartFire
01-31-2014, 16:21
I make many meals with Quinoa - but cook and then dehydrate.

There is a quinoa flakes - sort of like a hot cereal that you just need to add water to, but it's not the same as regular quinoa.

Maui Rhino
01-31-2014, 16:40
I haven't tried cooking it FBC-style yet, but at Costco, I found Seeds of Change brand organic Quinoa and Brown Rice. It came with several 8.5oz envelopes, each with 2 servings. To cook in a skillet, you just add two tbs of water and heat thoroughly, so I believe it is pre-cooked.

RodentWhisperer
01-31-2014, 21:30
+ (another) 1 on pre-cooking and dehydrating. It's served me well for the past few years. Best of all, the quinoa can soak up all the taste of instant bullion/stock.

Rick Hancock
01-31-2014, 21:47
Quinoa is a great trail meal. I have purchased pre cooked heat and serve from Costco. Not sure about shelf life while hiking multiple days but I store it on my shelf so no refrigerator. Haven't tried the flakes. The Costco meal is a pretty big serving. I've looked in a few health food stores and couldn't find an instant (just add hot water) dish. You could rehydrate while hiking and it should only take a couple of hours to cut down on cooking time.

Alligator
01-31-2014, 23:03
The directions on the brand I have are similar. Box says Ancient Harvest Brand Quinoa. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10-15 minutes covered until the water is all gone. It also says "For an energy saving method, combine 1 cup of water to each 1/2 cup of quinoa in a pan. Bring to a full boil for five minutes, then set aside covered for 15 minutes." So probably no FBC straight out of the box for the regular kind. You might be able to do it with the type Rain Main posted, the cook time is on par with a Liptons.

Sounds like dehydrating is a good option, I think I may go that route myself.

pipsissewa
02-01-2014, 07:41
Keen One makes an "instant quinoa". They even give "pouch" cooking directions on the box (add boiling water, let sit for 8-10 minutes). See varieties HERE (http://www.keenonefoods.com/instant-quinoa-products/)

pipsissewa
02-01-2014, 07:42
Sorry--Rainman had a link to Keen One at REI previously. :o

Ewker
02-01-2014, 10:42
Keen One makes an "instant quinoa". They even give "pouch" cooking directions on the box (add boiling water, let sit for 8-10 minutes). See varieties HERE (http://www.keenonefoods.com/instant-quinoa-products/)

but for the price of a couple of pouches you can buy a 4 lb bag for 10.00 that will last you a lot longer. It is easy to cook and dehydrate quinoa plus you can spice it up any way you want. We have used it for breakfast and dinner meals.

Ewker
02-01-2014, 10:44
just make sure you buy the prewashed quinoa. We had some red quinoa that wasn't washed. Every now and then I would feel like I bit into sand

sarbar
02-04-2014, 01:28
Hey everyone, you can in theory have FBC ready quinoa - just cook it home and dry it. Then you can use it instead of rice 1:1 in recipes. I also posted this last year as well: http://www.trailcooking.com/fbc/thermos-method-quinoa/