PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Gear list for review

bad biscuit
01-31-2014, 12:06
First, I have learned a LOT from reading various threads and forums. I have upgraded most of my gear as I can afford. So now I'm planning on a night or two backpacking list with some friends and want some input. These are actual weights as weighed on a digital scale.

Trip details: Lots of water sources, highs in the 40's, low in the 20's and I'm very familiar with the area. I'm taking a compass because I can't go in the woods without one. The GPS stays in the pack, but I like it to track my actual route as well as elevation changes.

I will be wearing/carrying:

Underclothes (wool socks, Synthetic undies)
Layered clothing including synthetic long tops and bottoms, pants, long sleeve shirt, jacket, fleece beenie
Boots, small knife, phone/camera for pictures, sunglasses (can't go without them), and watch.

My question/issue is still cutting weight. I want to be under 20 lbs. From the list, where am I going to get the best value and weight savings?

q-tip
01-31-2014, 13:03
I have a number of extensive gear lists for summer, three season and cold, with weights and costs. If interested, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward. Took my AT pack from 38 lbs to 24 lbs fully loaded for 4 days.

Kc Fiedler
01-31-2014, 23:15
I think your shelter is a huge problem for weight. In these kinds of temperatures you're much better off sleeping on the ground. Try a MLD SoloMid Cuben (10.5 oz) or SilNylon (15.5 oz) for shelter. That's 41.3 oz off your pack weight right there (if you go with Cuben Fiber and ditch the hammock and tarp). Put a 20º quilt from Underground Quilts with it for an additional 6.6 oz weight savings from your HG Burrow. You can ditch your UQ which will dump another 22.65oz. You'll need a warm ground pad, for that I'd suggest a NeoAir xTherm R-Value of 5.7 and 2.5" thick, plenty comfy 15 oz. Put a ground cloth under you or pair it with a MLD Superlight Bivy size large to accommodate the pad (7 oz). Those suggestions right there provide a net weight savings of 48.55 oz. or 3.03 pounds. Personally I'd suggest you forego the bivy in favor of Tyvek or something similar which would bump your weight savings into the 50 oz range. Unless you're dealing with particularly stagnant and nasty water with a lot of suspended sediment then I'd ditch both your water treatment options in favor of AquaMira for a savings of 4.45 oz. There's no need for redundant back up systems. That puts your weight savings at exactly 53 oz. Trade in your GoLite Tumalo for a Marmot Essence and you've saved another 5.9 oz (58.9 oz total). Drop the deodorant and you've saved another 3 oz (I'm guessing at the weight of your DO since it's not listed). You're already carrying Dr. B's so ditch the hand sanitizer and use the Dr. B's for another 1.55 oz savings (60.45 oz total) half a fluid ounce of Dr. B's diluted in equal parts water in a dropped bottle got me about 90 trails days worth of hand soap, toothpaste, and dish soap. It's potent stuff, so drop the toothpaste while you're at it and use Dr. B's instead about 6-8 drops on a toothbrush (don't swallow it) and contrary to popular belief it will not give you the runs unless you literally eat it. We can say you saved another 1 oz by ditching the toothpaste and an additional 2 oz by ditching the wipes that puts you at 63.45 oz of total weight savings. Ditch the fire kit and just take a single mini-bic (take two if you really feel like you need a backup). At .4 oz each, a single mini-bic will give you another 2.1 oz of weight savings. That bumps you up to 65.55 oz total. If you want more weight savings then start looking at new packs and better clothing systems. Knowledge is key and will save you from carrying extra layers. Know where you're going and what weather to expect (as it appears you do) and then layer accordingly. I'd say your Columbia Fleece seems like a prime candidate for shedding some ounces, see if you can't replace that with something lighter. Ditch the underwear in favor of running shorts with a built in liner, use them as your underwear, light layer, and sleep wear. If I haven't already nit-picked apart your gear list let me know and I'll be happy to try to offer more advice. Hang in there and question every item you're carrying!

Kc Fiedler
01-31-2014, 23:20
P.S. the above modifications bring you down to 18.125 lbs of base weight for which you could carry a Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack and save yourself another 11.15 oz. That would place your total weight at 17.5 lbs including pack (without food). I'd also take a look at your cook ware and trade the aluminum for titanium, replace the pot lid with tin foil.

bad biscuit
02-03-2014, 10:15
Thanks for your input.

UL_Packer
02-03-2014, 11:13
If you cut out your rain pants, switched to a lighter rain jacket the cut out your camp clothes except for the columbia zip top and also used it as your sleepwear you could shave another 47 ounces off of your pack. I personally carry a montane minimus and some quickdry pants/shorts as my rain gear unless its really cold. I also normally sleep in my camp clothes and if im going really light then just my hiking clothes when necessary. Hope this helps just my personal advice. Hey hike your own hike though. Make sure you take what makes you comfortable. Luxury here and there isn't a bad thing and after all your out there to have a good time .

Kc Fiedler
02-03-2014, 13:34
If you cut out your rain pants, switched to a lighter rain jacket the cut out your camp clothes except for the columbia zip top and also used it as your sleepwear you could shave another 47 ounces off of your pack. I personally carry a montane minimus and some quickdry pants/shorts as my rain gear unless its really cold. I also normally sleep in my camp clothes and if im going really light then just my hiking clothes when necessary. Hope this helps just my personal advice. Hey hike your own hike though. Make sure you take what makes you comfortable. Luxury here and there isn't a bad thing and after all your out there to have a good time .

+1 for sleeping in your hiking clothes. Unless they're wet. +1 for taking what keeps you comfortable.

kayak karl
02-03-2014, 16:28
before you ditch the hammock as advised consider a lighter hammock and tarp. im fine down to -10 on the trail with a hammock. check hammockforums for more advice on this. you have two great quilts there :)

bad biscuit
02-03-2014, 16:41
Next on my shopping spree is lighter cookware, lighter/different fleece top, new/lighter rain gear, cuben tarp, and adjusting clothes as needed. I plan on sleeping in my camp clothes when my hiking clothes are wet. Probably last on my list is to upgrade/change the hammock. That thing is just so danged comfortable!

Kayak Karl, I spend a lot of time over at that forum.... More lurking than posting.

kayak karl
02-03-2014, 16:48
Next on my shopping spree is lighter cookware, lighter/different fleece top, new/lighter rain gear, cuben tarp, and adjusting clothes as needed. I plan on sleeping in my camp clothes when my hiking clothes are wet. Probably last on my list is to upgrade/change the hammock. That thing is just so danged comfortable!

Kayak Karl, I spend a lot of time over at that forum.... More lurking than posting.
consider WB Traveler or a DIY (i like 11'+ hammocks). why carry a bug net when not needed.

Nodust
02-03-2014, 18:49
consider WB Traveler or a DIY (i like 11'+ hammocks). why carry a bug net when not needed.
I carry my WBBB in summer and a DIY without bugnet in winter. But in summertime I don't carry quilts, just a cover and small fleece blanket for my back.

I would drop the deodorant and just take Sawyer Squeeze for water purification. Or just aqua mira.