PDA

View Full Version : Trail journals help

saltysack
01-31-2014, 12:53
Isn't there a section that only includes currently hiking....? Can't seem to find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

slbirdnerd
01-31-2014, 13:29
I think there is a link right on the main page that says Currently Hiking, but I'm not sure the journals that came up there are truly people who are on the trail right now.

Tipi Walter
01-31-2014, 14:04
I looked yesterday on Currently Hiking. Nobody's on the AT right now keeping a journal. Too cold I guess.

Slo-go'en
01-31-2014, 15:59
I don't like the new set up at trail journals. Used to be just a list of names in alphabetical order so it was easy to keep track of someone. Now the default is who last updated and that can get all crazy. There are otherways to sort the list, but none of them seem to be all that helpful either. Am I alone with these feelings?

rhjanes
01-31-2014, 23:54
I don't like the new set up at trail journals. Used to be just a list of names in alphabetical order so it was easy to keep track of someone. Now the default is who last updated and that can get all crazy. There are otherways to sort the list, but none of them seem to be all that helpful either. Am I alone with these feelings?
Nope! I also lost the tool bar that had "bookmarks" on it. I used to be able to click that and then see just the one's I'd bookmarked...the one's I was following....Lost that about a year or more now.
I still book mark what I'm reading, just can't figure out how to sort them up to the top of any list.
If anyone knows how to get that back.....

squeezebox
02-01-2014, 21:42
slo- go-in
You have a right to your feelings. Do you need a hug ??

Siarl
02-07-2014, 04:08
How do most people keep journals on the trail? Is there a few main apps or utilities that hikers use to keep others updated while they are on the trail? I know there is Trail Journals here in White Blaze but what are other options that most people use?

lonehiker
02-07-2014, 10:13
How do most people keep journals on the trail? Is there a few main apps or utilities that hikers use to keep others updated while they are on the trail? I know there is Trail Journals here in White Blaze but what are other options that most people use?

I'm sure that my method is obsolete by now but I wrote a journal each evening and periodically mailed it to girlfriend. She then posted it in trailjournals.com

Slo-go'en
02-07-2014, 11:46

If you want an online journal, you could use the White Blaze journal, but few do. Mostly people post there by mistake, asking questions no one sees. The two popular journal sites are trailjournals.com and postholer.com

As to how to up load to a journal site, that depends on what you have for technology with you. If you use the Postholer site, you can email the journal enteries. Trialjournals you have to enter them while online.

Some like Siarl will do a hand written journal and periotically mail it to someone to transcribe. Others keep a journal on a smart phone and upload it every night or when they have service. Some wait until they have Wi-Fi at town to upload. Or you can sit at a libary or hostel PC and type it in from notes or memory.

I've given up doing on line journals. I just don't have much to say other then the weather was ____ and the trail was ____ and _____ did/said a funny thing today. Instead I just post something to my Facebook page to let my friends and family know where I am and that I'm still alive.

Prime Time
02-07-2014, 12:02
I used my iPhone to keep my journal on trailjournals. I'd write on my Notes app each night which doesn't require internet access. If I had access then and there, once I finished writing, I'd cut and paste it onto trailjournals along with a few pictures from that day which I also took on my iPhone. This conserved my charge because I was off line while writing. If I didn't have access, which was more than half the time, or if my charge was getting low, I'd wait until I got to a town and do all my days outstanding at once. It is fast and easy and I'm 60!