PDA

View Full Version : Still looking for a great tent for couples.

2YoungsHike
01-31-2014, 16:07
My wife and I will be leaving March 1st and are looking forward to meeting all the great people on the trail.

illabelle
01-31-2014, 16:46
Welcome to WhiteBlaze!
Good luck on your hike.

Responding to your subject line:
My husband and I use one of the Big Agnes 3-person tents, I think one of the Copper Spur models. Whenever our daughter joins us, we switch to a 4-person tent. It would be awfully uncomfortable with all 3 of us in the Big Agnes. But my husband is a big guy, maybe other people would be alright with it.

burger
01-31-2014, 17:02
I think the best possible feature in a 2-person tent for a long hike is having two separate doors on the sides. It's really nice to be able to get in or out without disturbing your partner. Also, it makes getting into the tent faster (helpful when it's buggy out) and getting out of the tent faster (helpful if you're in a rush to get going).

My wife and I used a Six Moon Designs Haven (+ the net tent) on our last hike, which we liked. There are others out there. Off the top of my head, there's the also Tarptent Stratospire 2 or Double Rainbow. The Copper Spur has 2 doors, too.

Tuckahoe
01-31-2014, 17:09
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=12&zenid=8bafeea27033d4ab1f1bcef5d9329d42

Check out the Lightheart Duo from Lightheart Gear. Listed weight is 2 pounds, with two doors and 101 inches by 55 inches, and two vestibules that amount to 5 sqft. I use to have the Solo and its a great tent. Anoth plus for many is that it comes from one of our cottage manufacturers and is made in the US.

elray
01-31-2014, 17:23
We've really gotten attached to our MSR Hubba Hubba, watertight, fairly lightweight and separate doors each with its own vestibule. We also own a Mutha Hubba we've used for supported week long bike rides and have never had a problem with leakage or blow downs even in the strongest thunderstorms. I think it's a great product! One more thing, it's freestanding which is a real plus with some of the terrain you'll be encountering.

HooKooDooKu
01-31-2014, 18:11
Do you have a budget in mind?

If you don't mind spending $500 (or $400 for the 2013 model), there's tents like the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3.
It is 70"x90" and weights about 4# (that's the 2014 model, the 2013 model is 4-3/4#).

If your budget is more like $200, there's tents like the Kelty Gunnisson 2.2.
It is 57"x93" (a two man tent that is REALLY a two man tent, compared to the Copper Spur UL2 @ 52"/42"x90" trapezoid), but weights about 6-1/4#.

Sarcasm the elf
01-31-2014, 20:17
Tarptent Double Rainbow, i absolutely love this American made two person tent.

The site shows that the current version weighs 41oz and costs $289

http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

Mr. Bumpy
02-01-2014, 09:52
I can't say enough good about the Big Agnes CS UL3 as a two person tent. I have about 25 nights on mine. It has been through several rain storms, one of which sideways rain with gusts over 40 and we and our gear stayed completely dry. I have no long term use concerns.

squeezebox
02-01-2014, 12:22
the copper spur is a bit heavier than the fly creek 3 . It might be on sale at Rei or is that the 4 ?

Teacher & Snacktime
02-01-2014, 12:38
We used a Marmot Limelight 4 on our first hike (for 3 people), and it was a very nice tent. Not too expensive, and not too heavy when split into 3 parts. They have a 3 person version that would probably be great for 2.

Mobius
02-01-2014, 12:57
And since no one has mentioned it yet, I'll recommend the Tarptent Stratospire 2. Truly 2 person and about 43 oz if you use your hiking poles as the tent poles.

HooKooDooKu
02-01-2014, 13:25
the copper spur is a bit heavier than the fly creek 3 . It might be on sale at Rei or is that the 4 ?
Seems like everyone has been having clearance sales on the copper spur and fly creek. At this point, they are all almost gone.

At REI, they only have the fly creek 4

At Sierra Trading Post, they have the fly creek 3 and 4
(google for coupons, they seem to always have anywhere from 20% to 35% off... changing daily)
(STP charges shipping charges, even when you spend $$$ unless you find a coupon that includes free shipping)

At Campsaver, they have the fly creek 3 and 4 was well as Copper Spur 1 (the just sold out of the 3 in the last week)
(google for coupons, they usually have 5% to 20% off... especially for new customer)

At Campmor, they have the fly creek 3 and 4
(google for coupons, there recently were some 10% discounts)

Also, check out local retailers. If they still have the 2013 models of the fly creek or copper spur in stock, they should be selling at 20% to 30% off.

I'm up on these deals because I've been watching online retailers since Christmas looking for some gear at clearance prices... picked up a Copper Spur UL2 for use as a 1-man tent and a Mountain Hardware Ultralamina sleeping bag, both at killer deals.

bigcranky
02-01-2014, 13:36
We've tried a lot of two person tents, and the Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo is our favorite.

slbirdnerd
02-01-2014, 20:33
the copper spur is a bit heavier than the fly creek 3 . It might be on sale at Rei or is that the 4 ? You lose a lot of space with the A-frame shape of the Fly Creek (I have a FC UL2 and love it, but just for me) and also the front entry will be especially tough for 2 people--that is the only thing I don't like about the tent. I would highly recommend the CS3 if you can afford it. Tarp tent a close second.

bigcranky
02-01-2014, 22:02
Let me add this page, comparing three popular two-person lightweight shelters. One great feature is that you can click to see large photos of the shelters from the same viewpoint, and see any noticeable size or volume differences.

http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/tale-of-three-duos/

You'll see one major reason we sold our Double Rainbow for a Lunar Duo.

2YoungsHike
02-02-2014, 03:26
yeah 200.00 was about my limit

campingfever
02-02-2014, 07:49
Big Agnes Jackrabbit3. Lots of room for anything you need and want to do!

Sarcasm the elf
02-02-2014, 09:55

My mechanic has a sign on his wall that says "I can do things three ways, fast, right, and cheap...Pick two."

I think the same applies in this case, for a tent you can have light/roomy, well built, and cheap, but I don't know that you will find a fully enclosed UL tents for under $200

I you're on a Budget, you might want to consider a Eureka two person tent, they the excellent tents that have built their reputation based on decades of heavy use by the scouts, the military, backpackers and car campers. It is only in recent years that Eureka has stopped getting getting enough credit among backpackers, and that is strictly because of the new lighter weight tents that have entered the market.

Their two person backpacking tents are here, just make sure that the models you look at have aluminum poles (They still use fiberglass poles on some models. I really wish they'd stop using fiberglass poles altogether)
http://store.eurekatent.com/backpacking-tents-sleeps-2

Just as an example, the tent in the link below is a two person tent that weighs 4lbs 9oz, has an MSRP of $139, I'm sure you can find it for sale for cheaper. (This is similar to the discontinued model I bought 5 years ago that has seen 40+ nights of four season section hiking on the A.T. plus a good bit of car camping and is still bombproof.)

http://store.eurekatent.com/products/634525/Amari_Pass_2

bamboo bob
02-02-2014, 09:58
[QUOTE=Tuckahoe64;1842184]http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=12&zenid=8bafeea27033d4ab1f1bcef5d9329d42

We use the lightheart Solong 6 works great.

lonehiker
02-02-2014, 10:02
[QUOTE=Tuckahoe64;1842184]http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=12&zenid=8bafeea27033d4ab1f1bcef5d9329d42

We use the lightheart Solong 6 works great.

That would use up 80+% of this guy's savings.....

lonehiker
02-02-2014, 10:03
Ignore. Wrong thread.

HooKooDooKu
02-02-2014, 14:43
My mechanic has a sign on his wall that says "I can do things three ways, fast, right, and cheap...Pick two."

I think the same applies in this case, for a tent you can have light/roomy, well built, and cheap, but I don't know that you will find a fully enclosed UL tents for under $200

I you're on a Budget, you might want to consider a Eureka two person tent, they the excellent tents that have built their reputation based on decades of heavy use by the scouts, the military, backpackers and car campers. It is only in recent years that Eureka has stopped getting getting enough credit among backpackers, and that is strictly because of the new lighter weight tents that have entered the market.
+1

I've never owned Eureka tents, but over the years, I've always believed they were quality tents. I guess it is because Campmor.com has sold them for years, and always has a large range of Eureka tents for sale... from simple boy-scout tents to 4-season mountain expedition level.

I would also suggest looking at Kelty tents. I've owned two of them and always found them to be well made with fabrics that seem more durable than the fabrics used in the ultra-light tents. But that quality/durability comes at the price of being a heavier tent.

I'm going to specifically suggest the Kelty Gunnison 2.2. It is a roomy 2 person tent with double doors/vestibules that is right at your price mark. The biggest thing that surprised me with the Kelty Gunnison is that it is only a little heavier than other name-brand tents in similar price points (Mountain Hardware Drifter 2, MSR Hubba Hubba 2, Marmot Limelight 2, etc). The other name brand tents tend to have a price point of about $250, and a weight of about a pound lighter than Kelty. But they are also significantly smaller... small enough that you would possibly want to consider going up to the 3 person version. But the 3 person versions of these other tents weight more than the Gunnison 2.2 while providing only a little bit more room.

I've owned two Kelty tents... the first was the Vortex (the fore-runner to what Kelty calls the Gunnison today). It served me well for over a decade. I only recently decided to replace it, and that was only because after 15+ years, the water proof coating on the tent floor is starting to peel... that and the fact that modern designs are significantly lighter than that 15+yo tent. The 2nd Kelty tent I purchased was the Gunnison 3.1 just last year. I use it to camp with my two sons. I use a 25" wide sleeping pad and they use 20" sleeping pads. There is plenty of room for all three pads facing the same direction (i.e. ^^^, we don't have to sleep ^v^). The extra length of the Gunnison provides lots of storage room for smaller stuff... not a whole back pack, but extra cloths and things in ditty bags (plus it has storage pockets and storage loft like most other tents.

Meriadoc
02-02-2014, 19:12
Let me add this page, comparing three popular two-person lightweight shelters. One great feature is that you can click to see large photos of the shelters from the same viewpoint, and see any noticeable size or volume differences.

http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/tale-of-three-duos/

You'll see one major reason we sold our Double Rainbow for a Lunar Duo.

I like that review page.

Keep your eye out for used tents on the forum since you have a year to plan. I happen to know that a Lightheart Duo is going to hit the forums soon (I'm selling it - I traded it for the Solong.)

Chubbs4U
02-02-2014, 21:44
cant go wrong with either Lunar Duo. Light weight, 2 door and vestibule and a mansion inside, rumor has it. I recently almost bought the cheaper version just to have a good 2 person light tent around.

Mags
02-03-2014, 09:49
We've tried a lot of two person tents, and the Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo is our favorite.

Yep, My wife and I like this tent..more important, my wife approves of the tent. :)

RCBear
02-03-2014, 10:03
I like my REI Half Dome 2. 2 side entrys and vestibules, freestanding, good, easy to open/close fly top ventilation ports. And when split among 2 packs, weight is not bad. Plus you can get it for 189.00

wtrenda
02-08-2014, 01:00
If you are willing to stretch your budget a little bit. Check out some of the TarpTent 2-persons. Shires makes a great tent and he is really easy to get in contact with if you have any questions. Great products, great people.

Dogwood
02-08-2014, 01:09
Yep, My wife and I like this tent..more important, my wife approves of the tent. :)

That's because she has you carrying it. :D

I want to hear from couples or two or more people who hike together and share one shelter(tent, etc). For example, do you divide up the shelter wt and components, someone carries the shelter while the other party member takes more of the food, etc

HooKooDooKu
02-08-2014, 02:21
That's because she has you carrying it. :D

I want to hear from couples or two or more people who hike together and share one shelter(tent, etc). For example, do you divide up the shelter wt and components, someone carries the shelter while the other party member takes more of the food, etc
Answered in the other thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101516-For-hikers-who-share-shelters(tents-etc))

Hot Flash
02-08-2014, 10:14
My man and I made our own custom-designed cuben fiber tent, since nothing on the market met our admittedly critical criteria.

RCBear
02-08-2014, 12:11
My man and I made our own custom-designed cuben fiber tent, since nothing on the market met our admittedly critical criteria.

Were you able to do it for 200.00?

Busky2
02-08-2014, 15:42
Best advice I could come up with would be TWO tents:).

bigcranky
02-08-2014, 17:39
Dogwood: we have a Lunar Duo. I just carry the whole thing. It's about 2.5 pounds so the same as my solo tent. My wife carries the cook kit and the water filter (she likes to filter rather than my preferred aqua mira tabs.) We split the food on longer hikes. This system seems to work pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

skell23
02-16-2014, 23:33
I use a Marmot Aspen 2 that is only sold through Dick's Sporting Goods. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3998000&lmdn=Brand&cp=4406646.4413993.4414966.12669395
It is a phenomenal tent for the price and has two vestibules. I am 6'3 and it is the only tent that I could find in a decent price range that I could fit comfortably into. The cross bar on the top really pushes the sides out and makes it seem bigger than it is. The weight isn't that bad.

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 12:43
We'll be using our Golite Imogene UL2. It's been a pretty good tent for 2 and our small dog. It's 2.5lbs and under $300.

Bags4266
04-01-2014, 13:52
To all posters, this couple is one month into their hike now. Old thread

Caddywhompus
04-01-2014, 22:43
I know it says tent but because no one else brought it up i;m gonna throw out an idea. For your price you can buy a super comfy.....

ENO Double Nest Hammock
ENO Rain Fly
ENO Bug Net

Youll be comfy, Dry. Mostly bug free, and may even come in under weight of some tents. Just throwing it out there.