1/2 sponge
10L dry sack
40ft chord

Electronics
iPhone 5
life proof case
ear bud headphones
iPhone charger
Stella 300 Headlamp (repurposed rechargeable bicycle light with head strap)
Headlamp charge
extra headlamp battery
Power Gen 12000mah battery pack (probably larger than I need)
Power Gen charger

Accessories

2014 Northbound The A.T. Guide
Micro Towel (sea to summit)
phosphorescent military compass
90 mL all purpose soap
90 mL hand sanitizer
tooth brush
mini toothpaste
nail clipper
moleskine journal
2 pens
1 sharpie
bandaids
moleskins
antiseptic wipes
antiboitic ointment
gauze
small medical tape roll
Small spf 50 sunscreen
2L camel bak blatter
800mL Klean Kanteen
Pace Maker trekking poles (with normal and snow baskets)
vitorinox hiker
vitorinox swisscard
prescription sunglasses
prescription glasses
trowel

I think it all weighs about 28lbs before food and water (not including trekking poles and sneakers and jacket)

kidben
01-31-2014, 19:08
Oh I also have some questions. I'm visiting my grandparents in Miami before I fly to Atlanta. I live in Washington, DC. Should I ship my trekking poles and swiss army knife to somewhere near to the trail head instead of checking them at the airport? Also at what point do I need to apply for a permit to hike through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park?

lonehiker
01-31-2014, 19:14
I journal in a Moleskine as well. Glad to see that people still do.

kidben
01-31-2014, 19:24
I also have aquaria water treatment

Sno66nj
01-31-2014, 19:35
Do you think that carrying a Klean Kanteen might have a lighter alternative? Are you taking the whole guide? How much does your military compass weigh? Are there lighter alternatives? Maybe ditch the trowl, sticks work pretty good. What you take is up to you, don't let anybody tell you how to hike your hike, if it makes you happy to bear the burden and carry the weight take it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kc Fiedler
01-31-2014, 21:25
Oh I also have some questions. I'm visiting my grandparents in Miami before I fly to Atlanta. I live in Washington, DC. Should I ship my trekking poles and swiss army knife to somewhere near to the trail head instead of checking them at the airport? Also at what point do I need to apply for a permit to hike through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park?

Last time I flew my hiking poles and pocket knife were no problem in my checked luggage. Don't bother shipping them.

Kc Fiedler
01-31-2014, 21:34
Have you ever tried hiking with a full pack over the top of a belt? It sucks! Talk about hip belt sores. Find a clothing set up that doesn't require a belt. Is there a reason you're carrying a pillow instead of just using spare clothes in an extra stuff sack? Any particular reason you're carrying matches and a lighter? Unnecessary redundancy. Just carry a single victorinox classic, the knife and scissors will replace your multitude of other sharp and pointy objects and the scissors work just fine as nail clippers. No reason to carry 5 tools to do the job of 1 tool. Hand sanitizer and antiseptic wipes? Just take one or the other friend.

Kc Fiedler
01-31-2014, 21:35
I'm 99% sure you can self register for GSMNP at the park when you get there. Just have some cash on hand.

kidben
02-01-2014, 01:46
Things I'm not taking: Moleskine Journal, pens, nail clipper, trowel.
Should I take these?: Military compass, second headlamp battery, sleeping bag liner, Klean Kanteen, aquaria water treatment.

Is the iPhone compass any good. It seems to work on airplane mode. The headlamp battery works for 11 hours between charges if I take the second battery I'll have 22 hours(is that more than I need), is 20F bag warm enough to not bring a liner?, Should I get 2 1L platypus's and a mini sawyer water filter(saw these on a vid look great!)?

Should I ditch my 1.1L steel pot and go for a 750mL titanium pot?

Sarcasm the elf
02-01-2014, 01:57
What is your expected start date? This will make a big difference in the kind of gear you should take.

kidben
02-01-2014, 02:02
Second half of march. Around the 20th.

Kc Fiedler
02-01-2014, 02:10
Bag without liner will be warm enough but the liner can help keep your bag from getting dirty oily and nasty from your body so personal choice. Take 2 platys and aquamira. You don't need to filter water on the AT it's plenty clean just disinfect it. Yes on the pot switch. One set of batteries should be plenty. The iPhone compass is very good. I'd suggest ditching the physical compass in favor of the iPhone compass if you ever need one. Really no reason for a compass on the AT. Ditch the Klean canteen you'll never need more than 2L of water at a time. 1L should be plenty to get you between most water sources on the AT.

Texaco
02-01-2014, 10:59
I'm a frequent flier with work year round - I carry my spring-assisted knife, and many other tools with me in my checked baggage. There's no issue there with TSA.