PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Crew - 2014 Season Trail Crew Schedule

handlebar
01-31-2014, 20:26
While you're waiting for your year to thru hike, or, to give back after you've completed a thru or section hike, consider volunteering a week of your time on one of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's Trail Crews. You'll meet a diverse group of fun people and maybe get some ideas for your thru hike. Check out this link: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/crews?utm_source=MARO+Trail+Crew&utm_campaign=6ccdf2ca88-MARO_Winter_2012_eNewsletter1_13_2012&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e2f106d409-6ccdf2ca88-

I did 4 weeks of crew the year before I thru-hiked the AT and now have nearly a half year of crew weeks. I'll be returning this year and for as long as I'm able and the ATC will have me.

HikerMom58
01-31-2014, 21:13
Thanks for the thread, handlebar. I've joined my local meet up group that goes out on the AT for trail maintenance projects. I haven't been able to sign up for one yet but I will. :)

Dogwood
02-01-2014, 03:14
THX Handlebar. It'll be interesting to see how many post to this thread.

Meriadoc
02-01-2014, 09:30
Also remember the small local parks! They can often use help and are the only wilderness for a lot of people.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-01-2014, 12:07
Our local AMC has a trail maintenance volunteer program (since there's no AT in RI). It's been our plan to do something with them at the culmination of our "adventure". My hope is that the trail world will be something that sticks with Snacktime and that he feels the desire/need to give back.

Personally, I would love to do a week with the ATC somewhere....lugging, loading, clearing, hauling, sweating, stinking, laughing and knowing I'm doing a good thing. What an experience that would be!

LIhikers
02-03-2014, 19:00
Hey Teacher and Snacktime,

If you'd like, you can join me and Kathy in the spring time when we go out to do our boundary monitoring. Not the same as trail crew work but you'll get to sleep in your own bed at night, or you could camp at Graymoor.

SevenPines
02-03-2014, 20:49
proud Konnarock Crew Alumni here--three years and counting! I applied for a ridge runner position this year too

HikerMom58
02-03-2014, 21:22
proud Konnarock Crew Alumni here--three years and counting! I applied for a ridge runner position this year too

Awesome SevenPines!! :)