PDA

View Full Version : Beware Platypus Specifications!

HooKooDooKu
01-31-2014, 21:51
I'm not sure what the problem is with Platypus right now, but I've purchased two different Platypus bottles only to find the specifications they are printing on the cards do not match the actual specifications. The specifications have been 30% to 70% off. If you check out the product specifications on their web site, you will find the internet specifications closely match reality... but it doesn't match what is getting printed on the card.

<Edit>
BTW, this is NOT a case of an isolated misprint. The two bottles I'm referring to were purchased from two different retailers, one local, and another online.

Hill Ape
01-31-2014, 22:36
which specs? size, volume, weight?

HooKooDooKu
02-01-2014, 01:20
which specs? size, volume, weight?
Sorry... it is the weight that is off. Got to admit I haven't even attempted to test the accuracy of the volume.

Specifically, I purchased a 1L PlusBottle from a local retailer, in part, because the specifications on the card indicated it was lighter than the SoftBottle. The card claimed the weight to be 0.8oz (as specification you can still find today published by several online retailers). But when I weight it myself, it came out to 1.4oz (or 75% higher than the printed specification). And the problem is not with my digital scale because the Platypus web site claims the weight to be 1.3oz (which is still off by more then 60%).

I returned the PlusBottle to the local retailer and purchased the 2L Platy Bottle from an online retailer. The card quotes a weight of 1.0oz, but the actual weight was 1.4oz. The Platypus web site claims the weight to be 1.3oz (again, NOT matching what was printed on the card).
In my case, I purchased a 1L Platypus plusBottle from a local retailer, in part because the weight specification for that bottle (per the card) is 0.8 ounces, beating out the quoted weight for the Soft bottle.

Kc Fiedler
02-01-2014, 02:05
I've been using platy bottles for years and love cascade designs products but I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper and lighter just to buy a 1L water bottle from the gas station and use it indefinitely in place of my platy.

Terry7
02-01-2014, 09:51
all the cool hikers use gatorade bottles

Drybones
02-01-2014, 10:06
I've been using platy bottles for years and love cascade designs products but I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper and lighter just to buy a 1L water bottle from the gas station and use it indefinitely in place of my platy.

It'll be tough to fold up. I use a Smartwater bottle and carry a 2L Platypus that I use for water at camp, fill up once and I have water for that night and enough to start the next day. I also carry a 1L Platypus for long dry stretches... but have never needed it...might need to re-think carrying it, although the weight is nothing.

daddytwosticks
02-01-2014, 12:58
all the cool hikers use gatorade bottles
I sometimes use Poweraide bottles. Am I still cool? :)

HooKooDooKu
02-01-2014, 14:12
I specifically needed a Platypus at this time.I recently switched to the Sawyer-mini and purchased a Platypus 1L Hoser as a 'dirty water' bag. That gave me the option of using the mini as a gravity filter, as well as utilizing my Sweetwater Silt-stopper pre-filter. Having tested the basic setup in the field, I wanted a larger 'dirty water' bag. But because Platypus uses non-standard threads in their caps, I've got to stay with the Platypus if I want to reuse the hose that came with the Hoser.

Rain Man
02-01-2014, 22:26
A big American business corporation not being scrupulous? I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I say!

Rain Man

atmilkman
02-01-2014, 22:52
I sometimes use Poweraide bottles. Am I still cool? :)
The ultra-cool kids use Powerade bottles.