PDA

View Full Version : MSR Sweetwater filter

ChuckT
02-01-2014, 07:52
I purchased a Sweetwater filter from Amazon. The filter came with what looks like two bottle caps. One black & one red. The black one's purpose seems obvious - it has a barb on top to accept the pump's outlet hose. But the red cap has me puzzled. I don't find it mentioned on the package or in the instruction and I didn't find anything on the MSR website. I'm guessing this cap is for - a Nalgene bottle?
Anybody know?
TIA CVT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Kc Fiedler
02-01-2014, 11:40
Is it threaded on the inside?

ChuckT
02-02-2014, 08:27
The black cap has a female thread the red has a male thread.

Rick Hancock
02-02-2014, 08:47
I'm pretty sure that the 2 small caps are to be placed on the inlet and outlet barbs after you remove the hoses. Just a simple means of keeping things clean. Some people just leave the hoses connected after use or storage. I haven't used a Sweet Water Filter in years as I use Aqua Mira or no treatment at all but I think I'm right.

Rick Hancock
02-02-2014, 08:53
Just reread your post and I'm probably wrong. They might be made to allow you to use bottles with different size openings. I seem to remember having a couple of different sizes one could fit/screw on to a playti and another fit a standard nalgen. Been a long time since I last used my Sweetwater 8 years or more.

Rick Hancock
02-02-2014, 09:02
Black is universal bottle adapter red is cleanside cover. allfilters.com

HooKooDooKu
02-02-2014, 13:45
Black is universal bottle adapter red is cleanside cover. allfilters.com
+1

The black connects to the output tubing on one side, and fits over the mouth of a bottle on the other. The black will also screw onto an MSR Dromedary bag where you don't rely on friction to hold it on the 'bottle'. Since this black piece is dispensing 'clean' water, the red cap prevents contamination from residual 'dirty' water when stored with the filter.

ChuckT
02-02-2014, 19:31
So the red is a cap for the black Dromedary adapter?

ChuckT
02-08-2014, 12:51
A-ha. I looked at the MSR website. The red cap is meant the keep the black (dromedary adapter cap) clean.
It doesn't fit so well that I'd consider it a plus. Good idea just not so good in use. Pity.