PDA

View Full Version : Layering for a winter day hike.

Hiking2015
02-01-2014, 08:07
I have always been a warm weather hiker, but tomorrow I am doing a day hike and the high is going to be 25 degrees. How do I layer for this?

winger
02-01-2014, 09:11
Here is a discussion thread from backpacking light.com: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=69734

4shot
02-01-2014, 09:33
it will be different for everyone and also depends on a few other variables...cloud, wind, precip, etc.A hike in 25* and sunny blue skies is different than a hike in windy, damp conditions. with that being said, my legs usually never get cold while hiking. At most, I would have a light baselayers under my pants. I also have a pair of fleece lined pants twill pants that are great for day hikes or hunts in cold weather. On top, a poly base layer, wool or fleece shirt, fleece jacket, and maybe my rain coat as another layer. Of course, hat and gloves. Wool socks and hiking boots. A day pack with lunch, first aid and emergency kit.

Drybones
02-01-2014, 10:17
If I'm not chilly the first 10 minutes I'll be sweating in 10. As said, we're all different, but for this temerature I'd wear a wool tee, a long sleeve wool 1/2 zip tee, if the wind was blowing I'd add a lightweight rain jacket. Unless it was real windy the jacket would be off and the sleeves rolled up in 30 minutes. I'd have a fleece or fluffy handy to put on when I stop...never wear enough to sweat if it's possible.

Slo-go'en
02-01-2014, 12:07
25 is pretty warm. Overdress and you'll be sweating in no time. A good wind shell and a little insulation under it is all you need. A warm vest or jacket is good to have to put on if/when you take breaks.

Since I keep my cottage pretty cold (high 50's most of the time), I just put on my Gortex jacket shell over what I wear sitting around the house to go for a walk in the 20 to 30 degree range. The only real difference is the kind of hat and gloves I may wear too.

Kerosene
02-01-2014, 12:23
I've found it very difficult to sufficiently moderate my body temperature so that I don't sweat, regardless of the outside temperature. That is why extended winter backpacking is so difficult, for me at least.

For a day hike, however, I would wear layers similar to what Drybones notes in #4 and carry a fleece or puffy for breaks. The windbreaker is a must. I've found that I can hike in shorts down to 40F if it's not too windy, and in pants without long underwear down to 20F or so. It's amazing how much heat my body generates when I'm walking...backpack or not.

Better to carry a few extra layers for your first few winter day hikes until you dial in what works for you. Your day pack will weigh less than 12 pounds even with water, snacks, emergency essentials, and the extra layers.

If there's more than a few inches of snow on the ground, then I would move to a waterproof boot for a dayhike, adding gaitors for low-cut boots to keep snow from entering over the top and wetting out your socks and making your feet cold.

daddytwosticks
02-01-2014, 12:41
^^^I thought I was the only one! I have the same problem with heavy sweating while day hiking in the winter. Couple this with the short days and long dark nights, I tend to do all my overnight or greater section hikes from about mid-March to the end of October down south here. :)

AngelEyez
02-01-2014, 12:46
Done alotta outdoors hikes and adventures,usually skins(polyester thermal) polyesters t and a fleece, i find if ur a bit chilly when you start usually warm with a few mins this way i don’t have to be ripping layers off and wasting time, if its windy i might put a light beaker over top but rarely <with a pack on it creates a block on ur back and added warmth> :sun

AngelEyez
02-01-2014, 13:13
:sunas far as paint a pair of skins <polyester thermals> and llbean Tmberledge nylon paints gr8 wind break and stays dry

Bronk
02-02-2014, 13:29
I have always been a warm weather hiker, but tomorrow I am doing a day hike and the high is going to be 25 degrees. How do I layer for this?

My winter setup is:

long sleeve tshirt
short sleeve tshirt
long sleeve fleece
fleece vest
rain jacket

For bottoms, boxer briefs, long underwear and nylon jogging pants. Hat, gloves and wool socks.

Add or remove layers as needed. I was out a few days ago and it got down to 5 degrees at night with upper 20s during the day and I was usually hiking with the rain jacket off and both fleece unzipped most of the way, but put the jacket back on and zipped up as soon as I stopped for lunch or at the end of the day.

George
02-02-2014, 18:44
^^^I thought I was the only one! I have the same problem with heavy sweating while day hiking in the winter. Couple this with the short days and long dark nights, I tend to do all my overnight or greater section hikes from about mid-March to the end of October down south here. :)

even if everything else is warm without getting wet from sweat, under the pack never is