PDA

View Full Version : Hiking , post back surgery....help a brother out with some advice.

Weather-man
02-01-2014, 19:13
Disclaimer: not looking for any medical advice. I'm in full consult with physical therapists and still receiving post op advice from the surgeon.

My back was injured acutely last Nov and I had laser survey to fix a herniated disc about two weeks ago. Very successful and I feel great. In fact problems that I've had for decades have also resolved. I had been told that they were vascular issues and now it appears that they were neurological. All in all I feel great though the Doc said I had the back of an 80 yo man :). Too many years under a mission rucksack and too many jumps.

My question to the collective would be who else has had similar issues and what little tricks have you used to keep on the trail?

What first jumps into mind is that I'll need to re-streangthen the area and core abdominal muscles. That's being done with PT.

Next is go as light as practical. I'm already at a base of around 10lbs for 3 season walking and I think I can shave a couple more ounces if I get creative with Cuben and exercise a bit more patience....e.g. Alcohol stove vice my Soto. The canister stove is quick but I can save some weight with the alcohol. Things like that...

I'm also thinking that I should shift weight to my hips a bit more often, below the injury site (L4/5)? I just bought an Arc Blast and it should arrive in a couple weeks. I asked for the extra lumbar pad and I'm hoping that it'll help.

Any advice or experiences from folks with a similar injury and how they worked around it would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to walk from Fontana to Hot Springs with my youngest daughter in the Spring.

Thanks in advance!

Trailrunner2
02-01-2014, 19:26
Doesnt sound like you need much advice, Weatherman. You're doing all the right stuff. I find that the PT needs to be a permanent part of your life. You can do it all on your own now that you have learned the drill. It all amounts to core exercises of your abdomen, back, and sides. This is the only chance you have to keep your vertibrae aligned and protected. I do them every morning, no matter where I am. Best of luck to you.

Ron
02-01-2014, 19:31
I've herniated the L5/S1 disc. I use a fairly heavy duty frame for maximum support (McHale), it transfers virtually all of the weight to my hips. I've tried multiple other lighter frames but they are not as effective for me. You seem to have the weight issue under control, I end up with a 12lb base weight and generally a 20-27lb total weight. Recovery time at night when sleeping is critical to me, I use either an xtherm or xlite inflatable pad. PT is critical, but I'd encourage you to do some significant miles conditioning with your pack before you go to target the exact muscles you will be using.
Good luck...Ron

Weather-man
02-01-2014, 19:57
Doesnt sound like you need much advice, Weatherman. You're doing all the right stuff. I find that the PT needs to be a permanent part of your life. You can do it all on your own now that you have learned the drill. It all amounts to core exercises of your abdomen, back, and sides. This is the only chance you have to keep your vertibrae aligned and protected. I do them every morning, no matter where I am. Best of luck to you.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Trail runner,
Would you mind telling what types of exercises you're doing? I've been told that free weights are out of my life forever. Recumbent bike and elliptical are recommended for Cardio and I've been told that any of the controlled motion machines, ala Cybex, hammer strength, etc.. are generally ok as long as I'm very cognizant of form and don't try and blast through the workout.

Mr. Bumpy
02-01-2014, 21:39
I've been told that free weights are out of my life forever.

Maybe shop around.
I have been lucky enough to avoid neck decompression/possible fusion with help from my PT who also has an Olympic lifting background. He connected me to some very good coaches and I learned the five basic moves. At nearly two years post injury I sense that eventually I will need some sort of surgical intervention, but for now moderate weights with perfect form have tuned me up well. There is so much muscle mass in your back/neck and for me a slow but steady and very dedicated lifting program has been the ticket. I hardly touch machines and isolate out very little.
Good luck. Back stuff is humbling.

fredmugs
02-01-2014, 23:16
Congrats on over coming your injury! I remember when my Dad had a disc removed in the 70s and he pretty much shut it down and became unbelievably fat and lazy. Keep up the good work.

Weather-man
02-02-2014, 09:00
Congrats on over coming your injury! I remember when my Dad had a disc removed in the 70s and he pretty much shut it down and became unbelievably fat and lazy. Keep up the good work.

I don't know your Dad's personal situation but my surgery was no where near as invasive as disc removal via traditional surgery. The laser surgery that I had uses a set of increasingly larger "diopters" to create access to the spine by pushing muscles aside vice a large incision. The actual surgery was done by laser. All-in-all a very benign procedure with a very rapid recovery. I was outpatient the same day and back to "normal" in about a week.

The problem now seems to be generalized muscle weakness that is realized even from standing for a few hours. This is troubling and I'm hoping that this is just post Op type aches. The doc has said that the danger lies in doing too much, too soon. e.g. I feel normal but full recovery will probably take 4-6 months. I suppose patience is going to be key.

Thanks all.

George
02-02-2014, 13:42
I would go for slack packing for a while - to me even reasonable pack weight irritates a healthy back

Weather-man
02-02-2014, 14:43
I would go for slack packing for a while - to me even reasonable pack weight irritates a healthy back

Not sure that I'll slack pack but I am considering using pre-placed caches for the planned GSMNP walk in the Spring. I'm thinking at least one at Newfound Gap. That should get my total pack weight down to well under 20 lbs, depending on water.

Trailrunner2
02-04-2014, 21:23
Start with McKenzie excercises. Search on Youtube like the following.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdzgJeHYcnQ
They do wonders to stetch and strengthen your core. No equipment needed. There are more difficult core excecises to graduate to after mastering these. THese seem to pinch my disk back into place and hold it there. I still have chronic pain, but I can climb the White Mountains with a 27 lb pack and run trails or bike. I just cant sit in the back seat of a car or stand in a line. Go figure. Good luck.

4eyedbuzzard
02-06-2014, 05:51
Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff - PT is the key along with core strengthening and stretching. I had three different HNP's between 2003 and 2007 at L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. I lost feeling in my left leg for several months with one of the injuries and suffered some muscle atrophy, but have been able to hike reasonably well after recovering ( I can do 8 - 10 mpd in the Whites with pack, which is fair to middling for a 57 year old with my medical history). My fingers are always a bit crossed though that I never have another injury. My left leg remains a little weaker, and when I occasionally get a twinge I just take it easy and stretch for a bit. I originally went to an Aarn bodypack that distributed the weight to my hips AND allowed me to walk more upright with less forward lean. But as my equipment and style lightened to a 10 lb base weight without food/water, I have found that I don't need it anymore (it's heavy at 4 lbs) and use a large day pack or Jam 50. 4 - 6 months sounds about right on recovery time. Even then though, don't push yourself too hard. It takes up to 2 years to fully recover and even then unfortunately your back will never be as good as it was prior to injury. Just the reality. But, I look at it this way, I can hike, run a little, play golf, and do pretty much what I want. Heavy lifting (over 50 lbs) is out, but it's more an inconvenience than truly life limiting. BTW, I also hike frequently with my adult daughter - my sons just aren't interested now that they are older. Best wishes on your full recovery and enjoy your hike later this spring!

Weather-man
02-08-2014, 10:07
Thanks all.

Trailrunner, thanks for the Vid link. Good info there and it directly amplifies what was explained by my Doc. Going to sign up at the gym today and will get a good routine of stretching and appropriate exercises going. All good and thanks again everyone.