PDA

View Full Version : Should I do it?

Beansandrice
02-01-2014, 22:04
I am seriously contemplating hiking the Appalachian Trail starting this spring. I have wanted to do this for a while and now I have the time. I was attending college as a Junior at the University of Montana this past semester. I got pretty bad grades and now I am back home in Evanston, Illinois living with my parents. I won't be going back to school until after this summer and I feel like this is the perfect time to hike the AT. It is a time of uncertainty, a time when my confidence in myself has been shaken, a time when I am asking myself if this is really all there is to life. School and more school and jobs and work and more work. I'm not saying these are not worthwhile things, but I want to experience life, I want to do something to let myself know I'm alive. I want to prove something to myself. I want to be outside every day in a beautiful environment with beautiful people. I want to make my self uncomfortable, challenge myself and do some soul searching.

I want to tell my parents about this dream I have, but I am afraid of their rejection. Honestly, if they rejected the idea I would still do it. There is just one thing that is standing in the way...money. I am pretty broke. I have heard that it costs about $4,500 to support yourself for six months of living on the AT. I also understand that the best time to leave is between the months of March and May, May at the latest. I would be hiking NOBO. It is February 1st today and I have about $300 in the bank. This means I need to raise about $4,000 in under 3 months. Does anybody have any advice for how I can do this? I am currently in the job hunt but it is taking too long. I am very anxious to hike the AT. I really do not want to wait another year. This is the time to pursue my dream. Any advice? Should I take out a loan? I really don't want to take out a loan. I would appreciate your thoughts on my situation. Thanks for listening.

-Beansandrice

Beansandrice
02-01-2014, 22:23
I probably should have titled this differently. I didn't really have a clear direction when I wrote it.

Affirmative
02-01-2014, 22:24
Brother beansandrice... I full heartedly encourage you to pursue your dreams but advise you to do so wisely. When I went to college, I fully committed to it and hated it. There were great aspects in it that I wouldn't trade for anything, but it sucked overall especially considering the debt that you build up if you don't have other people bankrolling you. When I graduated, I reaaaaaallly wanted to do some epic traveling or a simple adventure.

Nope... worked and saved.

I'm 24 years old now and still have a lot of student debt, but I also have a decent amount of hard earned money saved up so I can screw off for a couple years if I wanted to.

It feels really good and there's zero stress on my end. Can't say the same for some of my friends. I give them total props and lots of respect for doing things the way they are doing it. But just ask them - it's brutal and it really sucks when you've got student loans, car payments, rent, and no money even though you have a job.

Just my 2 cents.

DocMahns
02-01-2014, 22:26
you're living at your parents so I'm assuming you don't pay rent. You live in a area that's currently getting a lot of snowfall, offer to shovel people's driveways and sidewalks for monetary donations. You can rack up a lot of money shoveling snow, no one else wants to do it.

Tuckahoe
02-01-2014, 22:42
Read this back to yourself --

School and more school and jobs and work and more work.

And now this one --

There is just one thing that is standing in the way...money. I am pretty broke. I have heard that it costs about $4,500 to support yourself for six months of living on the AT.

Wanting to thru-hike is a worth while dream, and such dreams are worth working and sacrificing for. In my opinion you shouldn't be planning on a thru-hike in three months. With no money and without the support of your parents its not going to happen. But, you have every opportunity to get a job now, contribute to your upkeep, save money and have the opportunity to hit the trail in a year.

It may mean taking a little more time off from school than you intended. But getting exposed to the real world doesnt hurt either.

4shot
02-01-2014, 22:52
I am very anxious to hike the AT. I really do not want to wait another year. This is the time to pursue my dream. Any advice? Should I take out a loan? I really don't want to take out a loan. I would appreciate your thoughts on my situation. Thanks for listening.

-Beansandrice

do not (thru) hike until you can afford it. Saw a lot of people tying to hike under budget constraints and it was a hassle. Many didn't make it...in part because the financial worries made the hike not fun. Or they simply ran out of cash. I wouldn't take out a loan to do it either. you will have that hanging over your head. with that being said, if you are living at home with no expenses you could save up enough possibly to do a SOBO if you set your mind to it depending on what kind of work you are qualified for. A few extra months of savings.

Beansandrice
02-01-2014, 22:59
Thanks for the replies guys. You're right Tuckahoe, I need money and it certainly wouldn't hurt to have my parents approval. I guess I have a lot of time to fulfill this dream and I should wait until I am absolutely prepared. It's not like I have never had a job before. I worked in high school and in college but I've run through my funds. I don't necessarily want to live my life by "should's". I should do a lot of things, but I think that hiking the AT would make me much happier.

Tuckahoe
02-01-2014, 23:14
Yes, I am sure that hiking the AT will make you happy. And working towards that goal and earning it, will make you all that much more happier. Good luck!

MuddyWaters
02-01-2014, 23:46
If you have no money, and no means to earn it, your pretty much just dreaming.

Loans are for people that have the means to pay them back.

Beansandrice
02-02-2014, 00:11
I'm definitely dreaming...

AngelEyez
02-02-2014, 00:19
Take a year do small trips a few days at a time get some experience under your belt <if you haven already>, Winter clothing is heading out of season shoppe the sales racks you can get great items for pennies on the dollar, look at consignment shoppe and second hand stores,ask your family or friends. Shoppe food sale and build up a stock pile when the sales are right and money provides if you care to send care pack. As far a family and there approval well there family and they care and are probably going to be worried so you may never have 100% approval. I know with me even with a year + of planing I’m still met with some opposition. Hope that someday some you be out on the trail :)

imscotty
02-02-2014, 00:47
Please do not waste your money or your parents money at college if you are not 100% committed. It does not sound like you are.

I also do not think you should plan on a thru-hike that you cannot afford. Perhaps you are hoping your parents will offer some financial support for this? Perhaps they would, I am sure that they love you, but it is time to stand on your own two feet. A loan is a bad idea. Debt is a burden that limits your life choices for as long as you have it. Get a job, save your money, become independent. Success will come from planning and commitment. Make a plan and see it through, even if it means you have to put off your dream of a thru-hike for another year.

I totally understand your need and desire to 'experience life.' But I also think it important to follow through on your commitments and complete what you start. My suggestion would be to hike, enjoy the outdoors, meet beautiful people and consider the meaning of your life, on your weekends off while you are working to save for your larger life goals. Setting short term reasonable goals that you complete can go a long way to gaining your self-confidence back.

I worked some pretty sucky minimum wage jobs when I was your age. Those jobs became great motivation for me to do well at school and see my plans through. I highly recommend it.

Good luck BeansandRice

Likeapuma
02-02-2014, 01:07
I was in your shoes, hating college & wanting to get out & do something outside of a boring 9-5. I enlisted in the Army for 5 years. You can get job experience in just about anything, you can see the world, & experience things some of your friends would never comprehend. It's not for everyone, but it changed my whole attitude/outlook on life, for the positive.

Like many have said, don't get a loan just to go for a hike. And I personally would never ask for money from my parents just for a multi-month vacation. Find something you enjoy doing & find a way to make money doing it.

Best of luck on your decision!

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 01:51
Often, people want to thru-hike the AT out of motivations they don't yet understand or admit to! I hear prospective AT thru-hikers, "it's my dream to hike the AT." WHY?, WHY?, specifically the AT I ask? Think about your motivations behind specifically the AT because it seems to me you can achieve ALL these things right in Illinois without having to hike the AT: "but I want to experience life, I want to do something to let myself know I'm alive. I want to prove something to myself. I want to be outside every day in a beautiful environment with beautiful people. I want to make my self uncomfortable, challenge myself and do some soul searching."

How about thru-hiking the 162 mile River to River TR first in southern Illinois BEFORE heading 100's of miles from where you live, especially since you mention present financial constraints!, to figure out if this hiking, particularly this long distance hiking thing, is something you wish to further pursue?

Some would do better, and perhaps so in your situation, if they evaluated whether or not they were getting caught up in the larger than life idea of thru-hiking the AT. It does get hyped up around here you know?

Beansandrice
02-02-2014, 02:21
I already know I love hiking and backpacking, but the longest trip I've been on is 5 days and 50 miles. That is a good alternative Dogwood. I will look up that trail and give it a try. imscotty I agree with you 100% that I shouldn't waste my parents money if I am not committed. This is something I have told my parents and everyone who knows my situation. I am DEFINITELY not looking for their financial help. They have done enough already and I don't want to take anything more from them. They should start saving for their retirement, or for whatever they want to do for the rest of their lives. I knew a loan was a bad idea, I don't even know why I asked. And Likeapuma, my father wouldn't let me join the army. I think you guys are right and the general consensus is that I should keep this as a goal for the future while working to be financially independent. I really appreciate the input. This is a great site and I'm glad I posted on it. Whether I attempt to hike the AT this spring or not, you guys gave me some good perspective.

Happy44
02-02-2014, 02:52
follow your dream, if you really want it, you will do it, NO REGRETS! the things we do makes us who we are , the glass is always half full and half empty to someone. You are you , listen to you! what do YOU want! that should be your answer!

Malto
02-02-2014, 08:36
I would approach your parents to have them pay. I would explain to them that you have been working hard and that you deserve a multi month vacation. Since they are already supporting you I can't imagine them saying no.

MuddyWaters
02-02-2014, 08:39
I would tell my kid no.
I would tell them they are either in school of some kind, or they are working full time
But dont expect me to support you and allow you to play

Upon college graduation, I likely would pay for it as a gift. Id probably ask to come too.

gollwoods
02-02-2014, 09:49
have you considered a summer job in a national park or even a resort near a park, gets you out of parents house and earns some money, might make contacts for permanent career who knows, anyways there are seasonal opportunities if desired, without disrupting your track too much. lodges resorts even become a firefighter in a the national forest.

fiddlehead
02-02-2014, 10:11
Thru-hiking the trail is not easy.
Doing odd jobs to get the money for the trail would be a lot easier than actually walking it.
If you can't save the money, chances are you won't finish the trail no matter if your parents approve and help or not.
Life is priorities.
What are yours?

lonehiker
02-02-2014, 10:16
I would approach your parents to have them pay. I would explain to them that you have been working hard and that you deserve a multi month vacation. Since they are already supporting you I can't imagine them saying no.

He's 21 and just flunked out of college. Yes, let's reward him with a paid vacation......

squeezebox
02-02-2014, 10:35
Maybe do a section, Of course gearing up can be real expensive. Just might not happen right now, you're young you've got time.

Tuckahoe
02-02-2014, 10:46
have you considered a summer job in a national park or even a resort near a park, gets you out of parents house and earns some money, might make contacts for permanent career who knows, anyways there are seasonal opportunities if desired, without disrupting your track too much. lodges resorts even become a firefighter in a the national forest.

+1.

There are lots of opportunities to get seasonal parkservice jobs that pay a decent hourly rate. Check out this website for possible postings -- https://www.usajobs.gov/ -- just a quick search for National Park Service returned 400+ results.

Ground Control
02-02-2014, 11:02
Lots of good advice on here, some of it probably hard truths to face... NONE of it better than Dogwood's advice. Take on a smaller goal that is related to the big one while you 1)save, 2)evaluate / obtain the best gear for your eventual AT trip, and 3) gain experience.

If the AT is going to be your goal, then work towards it in logical steps. You will feel a sense of accomplishment as you see the goal getting closer and closer to reality. If you can make it through 12-16 day thru-hike of the River to River trail in SE Illinois, everyone will feel a little more confident about you going to the AT: your parents, people you don't know on the interwebs, and especially YOU.

Perhaps a more realistic approach would be to save up enough ($1000-2000) to do a section this summer. Return to college in the fall, get a part time job at school (it'll help you stay disciplined). Stockpile the money from the PT job into an AT fund, and return to the AT where you left off the moment you finish exams in Spring of 2015.

You sound like a thoughtful young man. Remember that life is about actions, not words or wishes. From here, it sounds like your first action should be earning money to save towards the goal.

Best of luck :)

swjohnsey
02-02-2014, 12:05
Anyone who can pass a drug test and is willing to work can make $1,000/week in the oil field.

DocMahns
02-02-2014, 12:15
...And Likeapuma, my father wouldn't let me join the army...

You only need a parent's consent if you're under 18, you wont let yourself join the army.

George
02-02-2014, 12:57
You only need a parent's consent if you're under 18, you wont let yourself join the army.

army is like hikers paradise, they buy the food and gear

Malto
02-02-2014, 12:58
It is a time of uncertainty, a time when my confidence in myself has been shaken, a time when I am asking myself if this is really all there is to life. School and more school and jobs and work and more work. I'm not saying these are not worthwhile things, but I want to experience life, I want to do something to let myself know I'm alive. I want to prove something to myself. I want to be outside every day in a beautiful environment with beautiful people. I want to make my self uncomfortable, challenge myself and do some soul searching.

I have to admit, as I am sitting in my office at work that I can't get this post out of my mind. You say you are looking for a challenge? Want to experience life? Want to prove something to yourself? How about you start by supporting yourself. You are living off the good graces of your parents. They are likely working their butts off to give you an opportunity for a better life and you are concerned with taking a vacation. You are an adult, not a child, act like it. You ask about getting a job to go on vacation, how about getting a job and supporting yourself and stop leaching off your parents. When that is done then maybe you can reward yourself with a vacation. I suspect you will feel better about yourself and will certainly learn more about life than a multi-month vacation on the AT.

maybe a bit harsh but I suspect that you know this already which is why you can't talk about this with your parents. Good luck in your future.

DocMahns
02-02-2014, 13:06
army is like hikers paradise, they buy the food and gear

I absolutely loved the free gear, I often took it out on my civilian hikes just because it was free and worked (albeit heavy). I also loved MRE's, I have no idea why everyone always complained about going out to the field, it was vacation for me.

Likeapuma
02-03-2014, 00:48
I absolutely loved the free gear, I often took it out on my civilian hikes just because it was free and worked (albeit heavy). I also loved MRE's, I have no idea why everyone always complained about going out to the field, it was vacation for me.

Heavy for sure! I still love MRE's (in small quantities) while backpacking ... Like a nostalgic treat!

I still use some of my issued gear, like silk weight long johns... Can't beat "free"!

peakbagger
02-03-2014, 08:44
No, grow up get a job and then once you have done that then think about setting goals, one of which may be an AT hike. If you cant do it on your own the military has several options.

Second Hand
02-03-2014, 09:04
I'm going to take a little different stance on this.

You are 21 w/ no real responsibilities. Your at an age where your willing to take chances and my advice would be to do it now, because real life will change you very quickly.

When I was your age I took a semester off from school and backpacked Europe for 2 months. I had to work a full time job, a part time job and go to class full time, but it was something I wanted and I was willing to work for it.

When I got home from Europe I had $63 in my bank account and $900 in credit card debt... I think about those 2 months every day of my life and I wouldn't have traded it for a second!

My advice is to simply hustle! Don't ask for handouts, don't ask your parents for money! It will be much more rewarding to do it yourself. Get a full time job anywhere you can (walmart / McDonalds, whatever! $ is $) and then save every penny! Work odd jobs when you have days off, shovel snow at night, take online surveys.....

I worked at Best Buy full time and they paid me well. On my off days I shoveled snow, helped out w/ landscapers, cleaned up scrap yards for an afternoon. I even got a job driving pigeons all over New York for a pigeon racing club! When I was in Europe I picked up odd jobs in different cities for a free place to stay or for $10 or $15 euros! You figure out how to live on what you got.

You have 2 months to make it happen. It's hard, but it can be done. And if you only get $3,000 then you'll just have to learn to live a little cheaper... Split hotel rooms w/ others, stay out of the bars and hit up buffets!

You have your entire life to be a grown up, but a very short window to take these types of chances! Don't waste it because your afraid to try to make $. The only thing stopping you is you.

Second Hand
02-03-2014, 09:05
Another option is to work a little longer and start south bound in June or July. Just a thought.

Damn Yankee
02-03-2014, 09:09
I have wanted to hike the AT for 30 something years but find life over takes that dream. I am aiming now for 2015. My advice would be to hold off school and bank roll some money. Be upfront with your parents now, tell them your plans and ask for there blessing and let them know you are still planning to finish school after you get back. Maybe, they may help you fulfill your dream and help you save. Any dream is worth working hard towards. My brother and I have been planning a Amazon trip for many years and it will be many more before all the pieces fall into place but, that's what makes the trip amazing. Work hard, save hard, live your dream.

Damn Yankee
02-03-2014, 09:14

I also loved MRE's. When I went in in 1979, we were still eating the C-Rations which were very heavy but, I loved them. The new MRE's are like gourmet meals.

slbirdnerd
02-03-2014, 09:45
Go on some section hikes and overnights in the meantime, it may help satisfy you while you work things out. And give you much needed experience. I've got my overnights/weekends in Ohio and now my two weeks on the trail each summer. It'll work until I am in a position to do more.

Coffee
02-03-2014, 10:03
I'm an advocate of paying your own way in everything but in reality it shouldn't be hard to save up enough for anyone willing to work and save who doesn't have family responsibilities. I will say this about seizing the opportunity: When I was 20 years old I hiked part of the John Muir Trail and was sure I would soon thru hike that trail. No rush, I had plenty of time. A few years later, I moved, got super busy with work and didn't go backpacking for more than a decade. All said, it took 20 years before I thru hiked the John Muir Trail. There's something to be said about doing these things at a young age without any real responsibilities if it can be done without being a burden on others.

magneto
02-03-2014, 11:36
As someone who is 48 years old and has always worked for himself, I am going to give you some different advice than what got here so far. Go for it. Take whatever money you have, go down to Springer and start walking. Stop when you get to the summit of Katahdin in Maine. Keep moving forward at all times. Don't stop until you have finished. You are a full-grown man now, you should be able to do this. Make do with what you have.

You don't have to spend all sort of time in hotels in towns; just stop in towns for resupply. Since you don't have a lot of money, the usual quandry about what kind of fancy gear to buy, which is so much of the fodder on this forum, will not apply to you. Count it a blessing. Clean yourself on the trail; showers are overrated. I've been out in the woods for weeks at a time with only natural water features available for hygene - it is really not a problem and you don't have to smell. You might be cold, wet and hungry at times, but your inherent male grit should carry you through. I'm not kidding about that - we were made for such things. After you finish this task under your current circumstances, you will have more than earned a college degree.

I say this becuase I quit college, against the advice of everyone in my life, and started my first company with some pocket change. I had no resources and everyone laughed at me. I'm the one laughing now. It has not always been easy path, but is was the absolute best decision I ever made.

If you start a trail log - let me know, I'd like to follow. Also - when you get up to Massachusetts - let me know if I can help. God willing, I'll spend this next season hiking in the Whites. Maybe we could hike part of the trail together.

Second Hand
02-03-2014, 11:57
I'm an advocate of paying your own way in everything but in reality it shouldn't be hard to save up enough for anyone willing to work and save who doesn't have family responsibilities. I will say this about seizing the opportunity: When I was 20 years old I hiked part of the John Muir Trail and was sure I would soon thru hike that trail. No rush, I had plenty of time. A few years later, I moved, got super busy with work and didn't go backpacking for more than a decade. All said, it took 20 years before I thru hiked the John Muir Trail. There's something to be said about doing these things at a young age without any real responsibilities if it can be done without being a burden on others.

Couldn't agree more! You have no "big kid" responsibilities (Kids, mortgage, oil bills...) Just get a job, save some cash and go! Go right now!
Life moves fast. Before you know it, you will have adult problems, then leaving for 6 months becomes a problem. Ignore the negative comments, go get a job, get as much cash as you can and then start walking North.

marti038
02-03-2014, 12:00
I want to experience life, I want to do something to let myself know I'm alive.

Life is more enjoyable when experienced with food in one's stomach.

I totally understand wanting to take advantage of the time you have between semesters, but hiking the AT one summer won't feed, clothe, and shelter you for life as well as an education.

You can also have an eventful, fulfilling, and adventurous life and still have a career. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I'd get a job and save until you start the fall semester (which I would do in state since it's cheaper, but this is up to you) and I'd focus on school while in school and put the AT out there after graduation as a sort of gift to yourself for completing school. I bet your parents would be more supportive too.

Another thing to consider is hiking the trail in two summers. It may be tight to squeeze in a through in one summer. You could always work a few months, hike half the trail this summer and the other half next summer.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

George
02-03-2014, 13:21
I also loved MRE's. When I went in in 1979, we were still eating the C-Rations which were very heavy but, I loved them. The new MRE's are like gourmet meals.

did you ever see the C-rations with the 3packs of cigarettes? I actually saw someone smoke one