PDA

View Full Version : Approach Trail - Make your case!

Sno66nj
02-01-2014, 23:25
Yes it's almost that time. Make you case for either tackling or avoiding the approach trail. Lazy? Over ambitious? Too many miles? Pound sand? Let it out for all to here.

For me its part of the pilgrimage, you'll see me their hiking the eight plus to the top of springer. I Don't want to become a local fisherman they call big fatty face because I didn't complete 8 mile approach trail. Happy trails :)

Sno66nj
02-01-2014, 23:50
Meh sorry for the severe level of grammatical errors, my bad.

chiefiepoo
02-01-2014, 23:56
Climb the stairs, see the falls, overnight at the Amicolola Lodge at the top and breakfast the next morning. Start that morning and overnight at the Springer shelter or stover Creek with usually good water. It's a long way from NJ, never know if you'll make it back that way.

Sno66nj
02-02-2014, 00:12
LOL, lodge doesn't sound like there is room service. ::books roundtrip back to EWR::

Odd Man Out
02-02-2014, 00:30
Multiple Choice - Pick A or B below:

A. You hike the approach trail because you want to and you don't really care when others tell you that it isn't necessary.

B. You don't hike the approach trail because you don't want to and you don't really care when other tell you that you should.

Sno66nj
02-02-2014, 00:39
C. You don't hike the approach trail because you don't really care when others tell you that it is necessary.

D. You hike the approach trail because you don't want to and you're just super confused because you thought this was the PCT

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 01:31
This has been over analyzed here on WB already. No one should have to convince you of how you should hike. This is another aspect of HYOH that folks often forget about and push the decisions(responsibilities?) of HYOH hike onto others.

If you must hear my BS opinion I usually hike it because one of my main goals in hiking is scenery and scenic highlights NOT crunching my hike down into agonizing over every damn not "official" trail mile or attempting to race to the finish(this mindset gets many a thru-hiker/hiker into problems, particularly physically!). Long distance hiking for me is very much more an endurance event not a 400 meter dash. I also like waterfalls. Obviously, some people believed this area of AF SP was special enough merit that it deserved to become a Georgia State Park. It has something special to offer. Amicalola Falls has always been flowing nicely when I'm usually there in the spring(around April) which makes a nice way to start a hike to me and has provided added impetus for seeing it and starting my AT hikes there; it's kinda special to me that it has a really nice waterfall at the starting TH. That helps me get into the long distance hiking mindset. I also like that feeling of weighing my gear(there's a hanging scale), entering my name in the AT hiker log book(seeing who else is ahead on the AT that recently started), checking an updated weather report, and walking under the stone arch at the Visitors Center to start my AT thru-hike. It's kinda like I'm announcing to the world and most importantly affirming to myself that I'm here, I made it to the starting line, and I'm gonna do this thing. Let me take a deep breath and savor this; this is my life here and now, let me adjust to staying in each moment and take life that way. For me, starting at AF SP, and doing all that, is kinda like part of my process of locking into the zone - the hiking zone. It's kinda like me turning my cap around. Really, once I finished an AT thru-hike the Approach Trail miles didn't seem like such a big deal in terms of the added miles and just added to my positive AT thru-hike memories.

Siarl
02-02-2014, 01:40
Good Lord. I haven't gone on the trail yet and even I'm already jaded as to the amount of times of seen this question. But since yer askin'...lol. I'm going on the trail because I want to experience the scenery. And....I'll be on the trail forever asking myself why I didn't hike the approach trail and what was it that I missed? And I'm not really up to having that ghost of a question linger with me so...I'm going on the approach trail. But that's just me. Please don't fret over this. It's really a non issue. Or it should be.

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 01:56
"And....I'll be on the trail forever asking myself why I didn't hike the approach trail and what was it that I missed? And I'm not really up to having that ghost of a question linger with me so...I'm going on the approach trail."

I've seen this exact thing happen SO MANY times to thru-hikers. I commend you for recognizing the possible consequences for your hike and resolved the issue which really shouldn't be an issue anyway.

aficion
02-02-2014, 04:01
The way I see it, if it is an issue for you, you should either hike it or not, depending on which side of the issue you find yourself on. If it is not an issue for you, then you should also definitely either hike it or not.

Sarcasm the elf
02-02-2014, 04:24
1) The approach trail is not part of the A.T. and whether or not you hike it holds no bearing on your ability to call yourself a thru hiker.

2) If a person is about to attempt a continuous 2,184 mile long hike, and they are actually conflicted about whether to add an additional eight miles to the trip, then they might want to reconsider why they are out there in the first place.

Hill Ape
02-02-2014, 04:28
only sissies don't climb the stairs

campingfever
02-02-2014, 07:54
The Approach is a beautiful hike. I loved the falls and best of all it's starts just outside the back door! Be sure to get photos at the arch!

MuddyWaters
02-02-2014, 08:34
The falls are really the highlight of GA. Seriously, at least go look at them even if you dont hike the approach.

The approach is no more difficult than any of the other AT. Its just a rude awakening for folks with too-heavy packs, they dont get to start off on an easy day. Boo hoo.

Hike it if you want, dont if you dont want. Its not part of the AT. Just dont pretend that an addtional 8 miles out of 2185 really makes a difference. It may make getting to Springer more satisfying for some. After all, getting there is much of the fun.

Starchild
02-02-2014, 08:48
Why does this come up so much and we never heard about are you going to hike the Knife Edge down off of Katahdin? The AT is Springer, Katahdin beginning and end.

For me its part of the pilgrimage,

Then you have your reason for it.

When I did the AT plans changed to exclude the approach trail, for me the AT itself decided for me not to.

When I got near Katahdin my travels merged into a 100 mile Native American Pilgrimage to Pomlola (Across the Knife Edge) as well as my AT journey, so when I finished the AT at Katahdin, I still had this section to do to also finish that pilgrimage.

So in short HYOH, it's all good :)

moldy
02-02-2014, 08:52
The AT has a very high drop out rate for thru hikers. Various frustrations early in the hike will sometimes drive people off the trail. A good start is contributes to a higher success rate. Why make it harder by starting at the approach trail? Why not start your hike by walking from the Atlanta airport? It's not on the AT either.

peakbagger
02-02-2014, 08:54
Hike your own hike. I would advocate that if someone "needs" to do the approach trail, they "need" to start their hike at their home and hike to Georgia then hike back from Maine to their home for it to be true thru hike.

Grampie
02-02-2014, 09:27
Once you start taking the "easy way" it will be the down fall of your hike. Next it will be skipping parts, yellow blazing and than just giving up on the whole thru-hike thing.

max patch
02-02-2014, 10:33
The approach trail is the best section to hike in GA. It is not part of the official AT as it part of a vast conspiracy of the GATC, the ATC, and The Companion to keep this section "hidden" and "unhiked" so as to save the best part for the trail club members.

bamboo bob
02-02-2014, 11:17
Once you start taking the "easy way" it will be the down fall of your hike. Next it will be skipping parts, yellow blazing and than just giving up on the whole thru-hike thing.

I think this is right on. It's a slippery slope. I have done both ways. If you like to think you've done the whole AT you can start up top but there are so many opportunities to skip parts, sometimes with good reasons. Once you start skipping though....

Malto
02-02-2014, 11:32
Here's the best reason...... Since so many folks quit so early, it will give you an opportunity to hit the first hill where folks starting shedding gear, decide you don't like it and quit. This will allow you to tell people that you changed your mind about hiking the AT, since you will have never hiked a mile of the actual AT, you technically wouldn't have quit. Other than that it boils down to logistics and personal preference. The scenery is pretty much the same as the next hundred miles (at least.). But the falls are cool and you can count the stairs. Don't believe the sign, it is wrong on how many steps there are.

George
02-02-2014, 11:42
you can count the stairs. Don't believe the sign, it is wrong on how many steps there are.

do you count the landings/ platforms?

George
02-02-2014, 11:44
when I read the "case" for the approach trail, I thought that meant you should carry/ drink a case - sounds like a lot for just 8 miles

Mags
02-02-2014, 11:51
Simple: do what is best for the person nice enough to haul your butt down there! If they want to see Springer Mtn, use the FS road. If they want easier logistics? Hike the approach trail.

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 12:55
1) The approach trail is not part of the A.T. and whether or not you hike it holds no bearing on your ability to call yourself a thru hiker.

2) If a person is about to attempt a continuous 2,184 mile long hike, and they are actually conflicted about whether to add an additional eight miles to the trip, then they might want to reconsider why they are out there in the first place.

Strongly agree on both counts.

The falls are really the highlight of GA. Seriously, at least go look at them even if you dont hike the approach.

The approach is no more difficult than any of the other AT. Its just a rude awakening for folks with too-heavy packs, they dont get to start off on an easy day. Boo hoo.

Hike it if you want, dont if you dont want. Its not part of the AT. Just dont pretend that an addtional 8 miles out of 2185 really makes a difference. It may make getting to Springer more satisfying for some. After all, getting there is much of the fun.

Agree with MW's take here. Even if you don't hike the Approach Tr consider checking out Amicalola Falls especially when they are fully flowing which they usually are when AT NOBOers are typically starting. Totally share his opinion: "After all, getting there is much of the fun." This was me too: "The approach is no more difficult than any of the other AT. Its just a rude awakening for folks with too-heavy packs, they don't get to start off on an easy day. Boo hoo." That got me seriously thinking about pack wt and all the really needless crap I was carrying by the time I got to Stover Creek. I was physically sore that first night. In my mind, the first things that I recall as Georgia AT highlights for my AT thru-hike are 1) Amicalola Waterfall, although I know that's not the "official" AT 2) Long Creek Waterfall 3) Blood Mt summit 4) lots of flowering trees and perennials 5) Neels Gap hiking through the building at Mountain Crossings 6) Seeing that GA/NC state line sign(and then that welcome to NC stepped ascent). :) That NC Trail Club responsible for that stretch of the AT has some warped sense of humor. :) I was still sore by the time I got to the first state line.

I think this is right on. It's a slippery slope. I have done both ways. If you like to think you've done the whole AT you can start up top but there are so many opportunities to skip parts, sometimes with good reasons. Once you start skipping though....

I think there may be a correlation as Grampie and BB is saying here. I've said the same in other threads regarding the Approach Trail "question" topic - to hike or not hike. I have no stats to support my case but for wanna thru-hike the AT attempters I find those that do hike the AT without an agonizing mindset over whether or not to hike the Approach Tr tend to have a go with the flow I'll manage my hike(and me) I'll adapt mentality and are more likely to finish their attempted thru-hikes. In other words, they know they must "own their hikes." Again, each individual has to HYOH. But it might be helpful to get clearer about your motivations and goals for attempting an AT thru-hike so you can better HYOH.

George
02-02-2014, 13:01
a little off topic, but with the cold in GA are the falls likely frozen now?

that would make a nice treat for early starters

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 13:01
Here's the best reason...... Since so many folks quit so early, it will give you an opportunity to hit the first hill where folks starting shedding gear, decide you don't like it and quit. This will allow you to tell people that you changed your mind about hiking the AT, since you will have never hiked a mile of the actual AT, you technically wouldn't have quit. Other than that it boils down to logistics and personal preference. The scenery is pretty much the same as the next hundred miles (at least.). But the falls are cool and you can count the stairs. Don't believe the sign, it is wrong on how many steps there are.

LOL. LOL. It would save some face for those that might be attempting/considering an AT thru-hike doing it for some grounded in ego motivations.

lonehiker
02-02-2014, 13:05
Hike it or don't. By not hiking it you aren't skipping any of the AT. The probability of success neither goes up nor down relative to your decision to hike it or not.

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 13:06
Good question George. Call AF SP. I doubt it though. After speaking to the receptionists at the AF SP Visitor's Center on my first visit to AF SP I asked and she said YES it has happened. If I'm recalling correctly, the Visitor's Center did have pics of AF frozen on the wall and in a portfolio of park pics.

LAF
02-02-2014, 13:10
it's my hike and how I feel about it, and in reality that's all that matters, just saying... :)

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 13:12
when I read the "case" for the approach trail, I thought that meant you should carry/ drink a case - sounds like a lot for just 8 miles

You must be getting prepped for the "big game."

DocMahns
02-02-2014, 13:28
a little off topic, but with the cold in GA are the falls likely frozen now?

that would make a nice treat for early starters

I love the icefalls, I try to get to Starved Rock in your state every year to go and see them, there's a picture in my profile of me standing under one. Awesome experience for anyone and crazy to see that much water just suspended in the air like that.

Almost There
02-02-2014, 14:44
Jeez, it's eight miles, I've hiked it, and would I hike it again...no, just because I live nearby and see no reason too. The falls are cool, the hike up, meh. At the end of the day do what you want. To me that is the joy of hiking, doing what "I" want, I stopped caring what other hikers thought about me a long time ago.;)

Siarl
02-02-2014, 14:49
The AT has a very high drop out rate for thru hikers. Various frustrations early in the hike will sometimes drive people off the trail. A good start is contributes to a higher success rate. Why make it harder by starting at the approach trail? Why not start your hike by walking from the Atlanta airport? It's not on the AT either.

Wow. That is a very great point. I was wondering about that. I will be taking Amtrak into Atlanta and might just hike from the train terminal. I mean, how much further can it really be?

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 14:57
If you're gonna start bitchin about 8 miles before even starting an anticipated AT thru-hike, uhh..........what might that be saying about your mindset going into an anticipated I wanna do an AT thru-hike? regardless whether or not you hike the Approach Tr? Just sayin.

Hill Ape
02-02-2014, 15:04
plenty of thru hikers get off the train in gainseville instead of atlanta, and walk from there. you really wouldn't want to do that from atlanta

max patch
02-02-2014, 15:04
[QUOTE=Siarl;1843161]Wow. That is a very great point. I was wondering about that. I will be taking Amtrak into Atlanta and might just hike from the train terminal. I mean, how much further can it really be?[/QUOTE

In round numbers, 70 miles to AFSP, add another 20 to walk to Springer.

Good luck. Few years ago a potential thru got robbed on their walk from the Amtrak Station to their Atlanta hotel. Shoulda taken a taxi or city bus.

max patch
02-02-2014, 15:06
plenty of thru hikers get off the train in gainseville instead of atlanta, and walk from there. you really wouldn't want to do that from atlanta

Plenty?????

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 15:11
Yeah, it isn't a walk through Wonka's chocolate factory from Atlanta to anywhere you can trail connect with the AT. frach dat.

HikerMom58
02-02-2014, 15:13
When did hiking the Approach Trail become a "thing?"

I noticed, in the past, when hikers would sign up on Mountain Squid's registry thread, the Approach Trail was just something to do or not to do. No big deal at all.

I always thought it was fun to see how many said they were planning to do it compared to those that weren't. There always seemed to be a fair amount of "maybe" as well.

MuddyWaters
02-02-2014, 15:43
I dont think a thru-hike is made up of just hiking on the AT.

Its the sights you take side trips to off the AT. Falls, monuments, etc.
Its the hostels and towns and shuttles
Its the people you meet
Its trail days
Its the half gallon challenge
Its the shared joys
Its the shared miseries

The more of the non-AT hiking things you do, the richer your overall experience will be.

Seems to me for some, the approach trail is part of that. For others it is not.

Up to the individual.

Bagge Pants
02-02-2014, 15:44
I only know one way to get to the top of a mountain; hiking.

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 15:54
I dont think a thru-hike is made up of just hiking on the AT.

Its the sights you take side trips to off the AT. Falls, monuments, etc.
Its the hostels and towns and shuttles
Its the people you meet
Its trail days
Its the half gallon challenge
Its the shared joys
Its the shared miseries

The more of the non-AT hiking things you do, the richer your overall experience will be.

Seems to me for some, the approach trail is part of that. For others it is not.

Up to the individual.

MW, you're on fire today. Nice post.

'I don't think a thru-hike is made up of just hiking on the AT.' Stated so well MW! Sly said something similar and I thought he too said it so well - 'Thru-hiking isn't just about hiking!' I think the two of you may be onto something important and it is well worth being reminded of!

ChinMusic
02-02-2014, 16:20

re "a good start": The Approach Trail can give one that sense of success. They get that early taste of accomplishment on a micro basis.

Your point can be taken the other way.

ChinMusic
02-02-2014, 16:23
When did hiking the Approach Trail become a "thing?"

I would guess, as long as it has been there. As Muddy posted, there are MANY items on a thru that are not mile related. This is just one of em.

henry g wilgo
02-02-2014, 17:03
Yes it's almost that time. Make you case for either tackling or avoiding the approach trail. Lazy? Over ambitious? Too many miles? Pound sand? Let it out for all to here.

For me its part of the pilgrimage, you'll see me their hiking the eight plus to the top of springer. I Don't want to become a local fisherman they call big fatty face because I didn't complete 8 mile approach trail. Happy trails :) (head for the falls,,i am here to HIKE...

Almost There
02-02-2014, 18:24
If you want to prove your a "real" thru-hiker why not SOBO and start at Katahdin (I've started at both places, and to me Maine is far more difficult to begin with.)? This is the same kind of mentality...getting a sense of whether you can handle the trail? The approach trail does not give you this, Georgia does not give you this...the true judgement of this only comes when the excitement wears away and you've been in the rain for 7 days and nights, or the freezing cold, and the mind games begin...You walk the trail because you want to, so do it how you want, but to suggest not doing the Approach takes away from the experience is ridiculous...because your experience is not mine or anyone else's.

bamboo bob
02-02-2014, 18:30
Curiously when I took my first step on the AT I didn't even think about the approach trail. My ride just headed up FS roads and I went south to Springer and remember thinking I shouldn't have lugged my pack up and back. lol. So when did it become a thing?

Pedaling Fool
02-02-2014, 19:12
... So when did it become a thing?I don't know, but I get the impression from talking with some of the guys with history on the AT, that hiking the approach trail was just something you did back in the day; I'm not sure when become a thing to NOT do, since most people that start a thru-hike nowadays don't hike it.

MuddyWaters
02-02-2014, 19:55
I don't know, but I get the impression from talking with some of the guys with history on the AT, that hiking the approach trail was just something you did back in the day; I'm not sure when become a thing to NOT do, since most people that start a thru-hike nowadays don't hike it.

Back in the day, some of the approach trail, definitely not all, was the AT, when it ran from Mt. Oglethorpe.

Marta
02-02-2014, 19:58
The ritual of signing the register and weighing your pack in the AFSP visitor center is kind of fun. You won't get that if your ride takes you to the summit. I also think spending the night either camping near the summit or in the shelter there is part of the pilgrimage experience.

If you catch a ride to the summit, you'll still have to start your hike with a bonus mile to the actual start, and then retrace your steps.

But, as Mags said, for me it has always come down to timing and what would work out best for my driver. Sometimes it has been the summit and sometimes the State Park. Whatever.

MuddyWaters
02-02-2014, 19:59
MW, you're on fire today. Nice post.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

George
02-02-2014, 20:38
The ritual of signing the register and weighing your pack in the AFSP visitor center is kind of fun. You won't get that if your ride takes you to the summit. I also think spending the night either camping near the summit or in the shelter there is part of the pilgrimage experience.

also nice to read the other entries in the starting log and get an idea who you will see to start - seldom as much detail in other register entries

CarlZ993
02-03-2014, 00:50
In the scheme of things, it really didn't matter to me. I didn't plan on hiking it originally since my wife might meet me on a specific date early in the hike (she was going to drive to visit our granddaughter during spring break in NC). Doing the approach would really put that rendezvous in jeopardy. At the last minute, my wife decided to fly instead of drive & we did not meet. Never bothered changing my itinerary & didn't do the approach. Don't regret it. All I cared about was reaching the summit of Katahdin (summit on day 152 of my hike).

QiWiz
02-04-2014, 15:42
I just felt like hiking the approach trail was the right thing for me to do. Otherwise, I think you can get dropped off at a forest road crossing less than a mile N from Springer on AT and hike SOBO to Springer, then NOBO again, retracing your steps. Whatever you want to do is fine with me. HYOH!

max patch
02-04-2014, 15:53
Another option that isn't mentioned often enough is that you can drive past the Springer parking lot for about a mile and you come to where the BMT crosses the road. You can hike SOBO on the BMT to Springer. By doing this you will only "backtrack" about 1/10 of a mile from the summit to where the AT and BMT split. Its a nice walk with a nice overlook along the way.

Dogwood
02-04-2014, 16:18
Good answer Max. +1 That is a nice overlook too! Really no crowds either compared to the AT.

sseldovia
02-04-2014, 17:16
Another option that isn't mentioned often enough is that you can drive past the Springer parking lot for about a mile and you come to where the BMT crosses the road. You can hike SOBO on the BMT to Springer. By doing this you will only "backtrack" about 1/10 of a mile from the summit to where the AT and BMT split. Its a nice walk with a nice overlook along the way.

That's what I'm doing. My dad is coming down with me and will hike with me on the BMT until we reach Springer.

I'm on the "hike your own hike" bandwagon. It's never bothered me that some may not consider me a "real" thru-hiker unless I do the Approach. It shouldn't bother anyone what anyone else thinks of it, either. You want to do it, awesome. You don't want to do it, awesome. Stop wringing your hands, get out there!

ChinMusic
02-04-2014, 17:17
It's never bothered me that some may not consider me a "real" thru-hiker unless I do the Approach.

Who are these "some"?

sseldovia
02-04-2014, 17:35
Who are these "some"?
Haha, check out the thread, and others like it.

Hill Ape: “only sissies don’t climb the stairs”
Dogwood mentioned hikers regret it (c/o Siarl’s post), as if I’m just like that also – always wondering what I missed when it’s never crossed my mind
Grampie, though he always seems annoyed at people. In this case “Once you start taking the "easy way" it will be the down fall of your hike. Next it will be skipping parts, yellow blazing and than just giving up on the whole thru-hike thing.” - and bamboo bob agreed
Bagge Pants also inferred this: “I only know one way to get to the top of a mountain; hiking.”
Even Sno66nj, who started the thread, said others – not even hikers – would judge (for whatever reason, people like judging..?) with “I Don't want to become a local fisherman they call big fatty face because I didn't complete 8 mile approach trail.”

So yeah, apparently I won't be a true thru-hiker in some people's minds for "skipping" 8 miles that aren't part of the trail. Everyone can think what they want - and that was my point. Don't agonize over it - it's your hike. HYOH, always. If it bothers you that much, like others have mentioned, then do it (or not). But I don't think it's helping anyone to point out why they're wrong or right to hike it or not - let them do the hike they set out to do.

ChinMusic
02-04-2014, 18:00
Really? A bunch of jokes?

max patch
02-04-2014, 18:06
I'll hike the approach so that I won't worry about my relatively inexperienced teenage driver driving back alone on the forest service road.

Malto
02-04-2014, 18:09
So yeah, apparently I won't be a true thru-hiker in some people's minds for "skipping" 8 miles that aren't part of the trail. Everyone can think what they want - and that was my point. Don't agonize over it - it's your hike. HYOH, always. If it bothers you that much, like others have mentioned, then do it (or not). But I don't think it's helping anyone to point out why they're wrong or right to hike it or not - let them do the hike they set out to do.

yup, you're right, you won't be a true thru-hiker if you don't do the approach trail. feel vindicated?

lighten up Francis!

aficion
02-04-2014, 18:13

Sounds like a superior option. Thanks for the suggestion.

Foresight
02-04-2014, 18:29
What color are the approach trail blazes?

max patch
02-04-2014, 18:30
What color are the approach trail blazes?

blue............

Foresight
02-04-2014, 18:34
There's your answer. It's not part of the trail soooooooooo........if ya wanna hike it, hike it if ya don't, don't. Doesn't matter either way.

Sarcasm the elf
02-04-2014, 18:56
I'll hike the approach so that I won't worry about my relatively inexperienced teenage driver driving back alone on the forest service road.

I did the approach trail this fall as part of a section hike for the exact same reason. I wanted to start at Springer, but my buddy's wife was worried about driving alone on the forest service roads, so instead she dropped us off at the visitor center.

Come to think of it, now that I've hiked the approach trail does that make me a real section hiker? :D

Malto
02-04-2014, 20:36
I did the approach trail this fall as part of a section hike for the exact same reason. I wanted to start at Springer, but my buddy's wife was worried about driving alone on the forest service roads, so instead she dropped us off at the visitor center.

Come to think of it, now that I've hiked the approach trail does that make me a real section hiker? :D

No way, don't you know that section hikers aren't real hikers.

ChinMusic
02-04-2014, 20:50
Careful. You will be quoted.

Malto
02-04-2014, 20:51
Careful. You will be quoted.

I couldn't find the dripping with sarcasm smilie! :)

Sarcasm the elf
02-04-2014, 21:47

And don't you know that you're supposed to ask before walking up to someone's dog? :D