PDA

View Full Version : Collegiate East

Coffee
02-02-2014, 13:18
After reading up on the Colorado Trail and planning out my upcoming trip, I was pretty much set on the Collegiate West since it seems like the more spectacular and higher route. However, since there could very well be a CDT thru hike in my future (possibly 2016 or 2017), and since the Collegiate West and CDT seems to coincide for most (all?) of the segment, would it make sense to possibly consider doing the Collegiate East on my CT thru? Would there be things that I regret missing out on if I never hike the Collegiate East? I can think of Mt. Princeton Hot Springs immediately but not much else is coming to mind at the moment. I know I wouldn't miss the road walk and while I like hiking in the woods at times, I prefer above treeline hiking with views.

FWIW, I did think about doing both the Collegiate east and west as part of a CT thru but the logistics and time involved is making that unlikely so I am going to have to choose.

Mags
02-03-2014, 00:00
The Collegiate East is pleasant at times. But the Collegiate West definitely has more "eye candy".

Personally, I'd use the Collegiate East as a lower route if the weather looks like it is going to be bad for a few days. Otherwise the Collegiate West would be my personal choice.

colorado_rob
02-03-2014, 13:18
The Collegiate East is pleasant at times. But the Collegiate West definitely has more "eye candy".

Personally, I'd use the Collegiate East as a lower route if the weather looks like it is going to be bad for a few days. Otherwise the Collegiate West would be my personal choice. Perfect plan, I agree. West is so much more beautiful, but in lousy weather, well, that's another story. I would add it depends on the time of year when you're there, as early July is generally pretty nice, whereas August can be dicey. And, there's the snow pack as well, if you're going earlier. This year is sure looking big on the snowpack in that area, we'll see how March/April shape up, the two biggest snow months.

On Track
02-03-2014, 18:59
Collegiate East brings you to a ridge top near Mt Yale that can lead to a relatively easy 14er side trip. Mt Princeton Hot Springs is a highlight for sure. Also heard that Cottonwood Hot Springs is worthwhile ... just a mile off Collegiate East.

Collegiate West may be the very last section of the CT to melt off, not sure yet. A new 22 mile reroute opens this 2014 season...eye candy that's even sweeter. It closely tracks the Divide and stays high, though, so late snowpack and the storm severity will be considerations.

Coffee
02-04-2014, 09:48
Sounds like the Collegiate West is the way to go unless weather makes a lower route a better choice. I'll plan the flexibility needed to make the decision at Twin Lakes. I'm looking at being in that area in the third of 4th week of August when I'm hoping the storms will be winding down but from reading a number of trail journals you can't really ever know how the weather will turn out.

lonehiker
02-04-2014, 10:15
If you are hiking in Colorado in August and even well into September you will have afternoon thundershowers.

Coffee
02-04-2014, 13:02
If you are hiking in Colorado in August and even well into September you will have afternoon thundershowers.

That seems to be true pretty much all summer based on the journals I have read. I've gotten to the point where I'm ok with the idea of daily rain if that happens.