PDA

View Full Version : I am still looking at stoves, not sure which one I like better

bert304
02-02-2014, 16:18
I am looking in to getting a new stove, I currently use a Wisperlite but I want to get a canister stove. I looked at a Jetboil Sol but not sure about the fact it does not simmer well or at all. But there is a frying pan available for it. The second stove I looked at is the MSR Superfly, I liked this stove for the fact you can adjust the flame and simmer. I would like opinions on each. Right now I am leaning towards the MSR Superfly

daddytwosticks
02-02-2014, 16:39
Snow Peak Giga canister stove. Simple. Easy to use. Durable. Stable. Relatively light. :)

squeezebox
02-02-2014, 17:34
I went with the pocket rocket with an OH back up.

jdc5294
02-02-2014, 18:57
I used a pocket rocket the whole way, never had a problem

Starchild
02-02-2014, 19:14
The Jetboil is primarily a single purpose stove, mainly hot water very fast and efficient. Anything outside this can be done but a little more troublesome. Contrary to most I have no problem getting the jetboil to simmer, is it very controllable, but the major issue is the high efficiency pot does not lend itself well from cooking anything but water. The heat fins create hot spots and that easily translates into burnt food on the pot.

The high efficiency is very nice on a thru, as the smallest canisters last a very long time meaning you don't have to worry about it at most resupply stops. But if going for a short backpack, the smallest canister should be enough for any other canister stove, so that advantage is lost.

I also do like that the jetboil locks together, I have found it useful to have the pot attached to the stove, sometimes needing to carry it while cooking.

saltysack
02-02-2014, 19:35
I love my snow peak lite max!! Light and efficient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

swonut
02-02-2014, 20:03
I've got a stove problem, and I was set on the snow peak gigapower, but as I start working out the food issues, the jetboil has me rethinking. Will probably change up along the way, just to keep things interesting. Was cleaning out the garage and found my old PEAK One single burner and a few fuel bottles. That thing was the bomb back in the day. Not as cool as the SVEA 123, but cool none the less.

I think before I carried the jetboil stove ring, I'd probably just bring along a micro stove like the gigapower, micro-rocket or the new SOTOs. Yep, I've got a stove problem.

bert304
02-02-2014, 20:48
It would be great if I could try them each, but I can not so I will think about it some more. Has anyone used the frying pan with the Jetboil

RedBeerd
02-02-2014, 20:52
I went from a jetboil to an alcohol stove and recently invested in a Soto Wind master. Which I really really like. Boils a cup of water in my .9 Ti pot in like one minute. Canister and stove and spoon all easily fit into the pot. And it has a built in piezo igniter which was the selling point for me.

swonut
02-02-2014, 20:54
The jetboil puts out a very localized flame and as such tends to scorch on most lightweight backpacking fry pans. I've picked up a flame dissuser (small cast iron plate) that I use when on the motorcycle. (Size more then weight is the issue), but I'd not think that would work. I guess for me, the real question is what and how (pans, pouches, sticks, pots. etc) do you plan to cook, then work back from there to the stove.

bert304
02-02-2014, 21:01
I use a frying pan and a pot. I have some meals that require just water and others that get cooked in a frying pan

HooKooDooKu
02-02-2014, 21:50
I love my snow peak lite max!! Light and efficient
+1

I don't know why, but the lite max seems to be more stable that the pocket rocket... not sure why as the lite max sits as high as the pocket rocket. I can only guess it has something to do with the way the forks fold flat on the lite max, but the pocket rocket leaves the pot sitting on points.

I also love the lite max for not only its weight but that it folds down to nothing.

snail2010
02-03-2014, 12:01
MSR pocket rocket! Low cost very reliable!

Nooga
02-03-2014, 14:56
Has anyone tried the lite max with the Olicamp XTS pot. Seems like this could be a good combination. I really like the efficiency of the Jetboil Ti, but cooking options are very limited.

BuckeyeBill
02-03-2014, 18:22
Bert,

I also am getting a Superfly for the same reasons you listed (Flame Control, ability to simmer). The jet boil can do freezer bag meals which just requires boiling water. I like cooking meals which allows more calories per meal.

bert304
02-03-2014, 18:37
I think I will get the Superfly. Now time to look at pots and frying pans

BuckeyeBill
02-03-2014, 18:57
Bert

Take a look at this set

(http://www.rei.com/product/831567/snow-peak-trek-1400-titanium-cookset)

HooKooDooKu
02-03-2014, 19:15
Take a look at this set (http://www.rei.com/product/831567/snow-peak-trek-1400-titanium-cookset)
That's the Snow Peak 1400. It has a 1.4L pot and frying pan lid for a total weight of 7.4oz, and requires the mesh bag or rubber bands to hold the lid on.

For single person use, I prefer the Titan Kettle (http://www.backcountry.com/msr-titan-titanium-kettle?CMP_SKU=CAS0385&MER). It's a 0.85L pot at 4.2 oz. The lid is designed to stay on with friction.

Both are large enough to store the MSR canisters inside it (MSR's canisters have a wider base compared to JetBoil or SnowPeak).

BuckeyeBill
02-03-2014, 20:08
That's the Snow Peak 1400. It has a 1.4L pot and frying pan lid for a total weight of 7.4oz, and requires the mesh bag or rubber bands to hold the lid on.

For single person use, I prefer the Titan Kettle (http://www.backcountry.com/msr-titan-titanium-kettle?CMP_SKU=CAS0385&MER). It's a 0.85L pot at 4.2 oz. The lid is designed to stay on with friction.

Both are large enough to store the MSR canisters inside it (MSR's canisters have a wider base compared to JetBoil or SnowPeak).

I recommended the 1400 because he was looking for pots and frying pan which the 1400 contains both items.

Theosus
02-03-2014, 20:45
I have the snow peak giga power. great little stove system... but for shorter trips, one-three days, I just can't get over the weight savings and coolness of the cat-food can stove. My entire cook kit but the spork fits down into the .7L snow peak mug, with a small "squishy bowl". The large bowl squashes down on top like a lid, and the windscreen rolls up in the mug. My fuel bottle is the only bulky item, its about half a liter (formerly for holding lavender-scented bath soap, and is the only bottle I found with a flip top that absolutely will NOT leak, even held upside down and squeezed HARD), but it goes outside my pack in the spare water bottle holding pouch.

Shonryu
02-04-2014, 01:48
When I do use a canister stove its a Snowpeak Lite Max but I usually carry an debit TI burner/ Pot stand 0.5oz and a TI windscreen 0.4oz total weight 0.9oz. That and use esbit cubes to cook on. I dont have the hard numbers but in comparison to my Snowpeak set up for the same ammount of fuel I think I shaved off almost half a pound. Just food for thought

bfayer
02-04-2014, 08:03
Like I said your other thread, the MSR Superfly is a good stove, but unless you need the ability to use the stove overseas, there are lighter better options. Many of them were listed in the other thread.

The Soto micro regulator is lighter, smaller, and operates in a greater range of temps. It simmers well.

I guess you need to ask yourself, are you willing to carry the extra weight 100% of the time for the ability to use canisters that you will most likely never see in the U.S.?

bert304
02-04-2014, 18:30
How well does the Soto Micro Regulator simmer well?

bfayer
02-04-2014, 18:45
How well does the Soto Micro Regulator simmer well?

I do not have one, but the one I played with simmered quite well. I believe the regulator helps a lot. Without the regulator as the canister get cold pressure drops and if you have the valve closed down to simmer, the stove goes out. With the regulator, the pressure to the burner stays more constant.

Also the burner design disperses the flame better than a jetboil or pocket rocket, it's much like the Superfly. I was very impressed with the performance/weight.

I am not trying talk you out of the Superfly, I'm just pointing out you will spend a lot more time carrying it, than cooking with it. Only you can determine if the weight tax is worth it.