PDA

View Full Version : need shuttle for AT in PA

lilygrrrl1
09-07-2005, 00:01
hey folks!

i'm looking for a shuttle to (and from?) the AT in PA -- exact location really depends on shuttlers location. i'd prefer around the Pine Grove area, but am not picky!!! my total trip miles should be less than 75 miles.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

amy (krinkles) :sun

fiddlehead
09-07-2005, 02:00
Hello, you don't say when. ??? I live near Pine Grove and will be home after the 16th (sept) i could possibly help you then depending on the day?? I am away weekends. Let me know. fiddlehead

lilygrrrl1
09-07-2005, 09:13
Hello, you don't say when. ??? I live near Pine Grove and will be home after the 16th (sept) i could possibly help you then depending on the day?? I am away weekends. Let me know. fiddlehead
oops!! :o

i was planning on the either sunday september 18th or monday september 19th. i'm looking at being out ~5 days.

any suggestions on which direction might be best (more challenging...more scenic)??

again -- thanks for your help.
amy (krinkles)

Alligator
09-07-2005, 10:02
I recently hiked from DWG to the 501 shelter. That was 100 miles, so it is more than you listed. However, what I did was I used a shuttler, PAmoneypit on WB, to get me from the 501 shelter to Pottsville, PA. Greyhound picks up there. The bus goes to DWG. There might be a closer town other than Pottsville on the bus route. Also, the local bus service (other than Greyhound or trailways) goes town to town. My shuttler told me that there was a bus stop in the town near the 501 shelter, but I would have needed to purchase a ticket beforehand. There is a WB member who lists living near the 501 shelter, but I can't remember who it is. Perhaps they could give you better local bus information, or maybe Fiddlehead can.

lilygrrrl1
09-07-2005, 18:32
thanks for that great info!

i'm starting to get a little nervous...and have figured three different areas i could section on this hike (from 09/18 or 09/19 -- ??).

pine grove furnace state park ----> PA 325

port clinton ----> DWG

or i could do ....

swatara gap ---> ashfield PA

i think parking will be easiest at pine grove furnace state park...and port clinton. any additional suggestions??
any help with shuttling would be very much appreciated! :clap

amy marcucci (krinkles)

Toolshed
09-07-2005, 19:48
I live close to the trail near Wind Gap and can help with a shuttle weeknights or weekends.

I really like the sections from Penn Mar Nborth, especially around Pine Grove Furnace N to Boiling Springs and South to Caledonia.

The section from duncannnon N through Swatara is also pretty nice. a bit more remote that the northern sections.

PC to DWG is mostly flat with a couple of cimbs and a few views ucked in here and there. You aren't really in wilderness though.

Cheers Toolshed.

fiddlehead
09-12-2005, 21:42
If you start at 501, (your original plan) and head south, you will travel through (in my opinion) the best part of Pa. What is called St. Anthony's Wilderness or Rausch Gap. (there's a shelter named Rausch Gap shelter in the middle) And the horseshoe trail starts in this section and runs to valley forge, pa) The beautiful part runs from the Dehart Dam (south end) to Swatara Creek park (i believe that's the name now) it is a beautiful wilderness full of history (not officially a wilderness but that's the name given to it around here) old Indian village, old mines, beautiful creek.
It would be my choice for a nice hike. You could start at 501, go south until you get to Dehart Dam (Dauphin County) or if more energetic, go all the way to Duncannon. I don't have the data book with me to get the mileage but have hiked it many times. I don't know your abilities or mileage plans either.
I did see a new shuttle service starting up in the pine grove area. (pine grove meaning near 501 shelter, not pine grove furnace state park which are 2 completely different things) check with them, i will be home from the 16 to the 22nd but then must go for the weekend. good luck, let me know if you have more questions on the area.

LIhikers
09-13-2005, 14:05
...then check the ATC's web site for a state by state list of shuttle service providers. They don't come cheap but the 2 my wife and I have used were always on time and friendly. Check out http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/{D25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1}/ATshuttle.pdf

lilygrrrl1
09-14-2005, 00:13
...then check the ATC's web site for a state by state list of shuttle service providers. They don't come cheap but the 2 my wife and I have used were always on time and friendly. Check out http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/{D25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1}/ATshuttle.pdf
thanks!

i did in fact contact a shuttler from the ATC list...and have successfully arranged a shuttle!!

i'm heading out bright and early on sunday...afternoon. :jump

happy hiking!
krinkles

eco
10-23-2005, 10:02
hey folks!

i'm looking for a shuttle to (and from?) the AT in PA -- exact location really depends on shuttlers location. i'd prefer around the Pine Grove area, but am not picky!!! my total trip miles should be less than 75 miles.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

amy (krinkles) :sun
I live near and work in Pine Grove. I was actually going to start a thread to offer assistance to any hikers in the area, whehter they need transportation, a supply drop address, etc. These things always come back 10 fold and just coming back around to backpacking, I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get. Anyway, if it comes up again, PM me and I'll be happy to lend a hand.

wolf
03-09-2006, 20:37
there is a outfitter in port clinton that does shuttles.also re supply there to ive used him many times wolf