PDA

View Full Version : Feb 15 , 16 , 17 start date

Josh Calhoun
02-02-2014, 22:19
is anybody planning on starting Springer around the 15,16 or 17th? i began my hike at amicalola on Feb 16th of last year. I'm thinking of posting up at Hawk Mountain Shelter for the weekend and meeting some of the class of 2014. i know how i felt the day i started and i would love to see the same excited faces as i had last year.

www.trailjournals.com/Rash

George
02-03-2014, 03:56
from posts on here and TJ at least a dozen planned for that weekend, I figured over 40 total in the last 2 weeks of Feb, rumor has it that the weather has convinced some to back off - certainly there will be some that do not have versatility in travel plans regardless of how they feel about weather conditions so my guess is still 6-10 in that time period - how many were in that approximate slot last year?

moldy
02-03-2014, 08:44
There will be a handful of hikers who did not receive Jim Cantire's and the groundhog's memo. 2 week later might be better. You must be from a rural place like me, "Posting up" is a deer hunting term sort of like a "stake out" is a cop term. Either way, thanks for the helping hand, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

daddytwosticks
02-03-2014, 17:14
There will be a handful of hikers who did not receive Jim Cantire's and the groundhog's memo. 2 week later might be better. You must be from a rural place like me, "Posting up" is a deer hunting term sort of like a "stake out" is a cop term. Either way, thanks for the helping hand, I'm sure it will be appreciated. But our southern groundhog had a different prediction. General some Lee I believe is his name. :)

Josh Calhoun
02-03-2014, 22:38
glad to see your still online daddytwosticks!

Penguinman
02-07-2014, 17:29
I'm starting the 17th. I followed you last year

Sn0wfrk
02-12-2014, 04:05
I start on the 21st, looks like I will miss seeing you at the start. Maybe bump into you further north.

Derf
02-12-2014, 15:32
Sitting in Cumming Ga waiting storm out wanting to get out on Friday afternoon. As of now the approach trail is the only way to the trail since they have closed FS roads until further notice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kidben
02-14-2014, 01:38
I should be headed to the trail head on about March 17th.

ratherbclimbin
02-14-2014, 23:33
Be careful starting this weekend or next week. Pretty bad snow storm came through the south this is week.

DocMahns
02-15-2014, 01:17
"Posting up" is a deer hunting term sort of like a "stake out" is a cop term

It is also a very common military term meaning to stand at a designated place and stand watch over something, or to prepare to get yelled at.

i.e.; Go post up in front of Sgt Major's office and wait until he returns. -OR- Go post up in front of that gear and make sure no one finger****s it!