PDA

View Full Version : What size trash compactor bag do you use for a pack liner?

Nar Nar
02-02-2014, 23:57
I'm fine-tuning the details, would a roughly 18 gallon one suffice?

Rocket Jones
02-03-2014, 06:55
I don't know the exact size of mine (at work, can't check), but mine is large enough to hold my sleeping gear and clothes, and can still be twisted shut and the 'tail' doubled over and secured with a ponytail band. I also recommend using a white bag, it just makes it easier to see inside.

burger
02-03-2014, 09:01
Um, trash compactor size? I think that the compactor bags only come in one size. It fits my packs, but my packs are on the smaller size compared to a lot of AT hikers. If you have a really big pack, you might think of getting a contractor-grade bag in a larger size. You can always cut off the top if it's too high.

slbirdnerd
02-03-2014, 09:47
Someone I met had a Hefty Force Flex, said it worked pretty well. I bought some compactor bags but haven't used them yet. This spring...

Nar Nar
02-03-2014, 10:04
Um, trash compactor size? I think that the compactor bags only come in one size. It fits my packs, but my packs are on the smaller size compared to a lot of AT hikers. If you have a really big pack, you might think of getting a contractor-grade bag in a larger size. You can always cut off the top if it's too high.

They probably do come in one size now that I think about it. I've got a small pack as well so sounds like these will suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snail2010
02-03-2014, 11:56
I'm fine-tuning the details, would a roughly 18 gallon one suffice?
I use a CONTRACTOR bag not compactor bag. They are all large.

Razor
02-03-2014, 20:38
Why don't you size the bag to the size of your pack ---

Weather-man
02-05-2014, 11:52
I just switched from a compactor bag to a polycro bag. The compactor bag is around 3oz iirc. The polycro bag is under an ounce and a half and very durable.

http://gossamergear.com/pack-liner-bags-2-pack.html

sadlowskiadam
02-05-2014, 12:38
I purchased the largest I could find , and then cut it to fit my pack correctly.

squeezebox
02-05-2014, 13:02
What did you do to seal the cut edges ?

sadlowskiadam
02-05-2014, 13:21
What did you do to seal the cut edges ?

I simply cut the top and lined the inside of the pack. I would then pack the pack with my gear and twist and fold the top of the compactor bag to seal it. I never needed a pack cover and my gear stayed dry my entire thru hike.

Nooga
02-05-2014, 15:36
If you go with a compactor bag, the only place I could find a scent free bag was at Ace Hardware.

daddytwosticks
02-05-2014, 17:26
I got a box of trash compactor bags from either Ingles grocery store or Walmart like 6-8 years ago. There were only about 8 or 12 bags in the box and I still haven't used them all. I do believe they only came in one size. :)

Another Kevin
02-05-2014, 18:05
An 18 gallon compactor bag - and that's the only size I've ever seen - is 68 litres, and is proportioned similarly to most packs. I know the ones I have fit a 65 litre pack quite nicely. This is true particularly since a few things that don't mind getting wet - such as my tent, my rainsuit, my pack cover and the drysack that holds my food - ride outside the bag. So do all liquids, potable or otherwise - I don't want to get water, reconstituted powdered drinks, coffee, or stove fuel spilt on my gear.

frogmonkey
02-05-2014, 21:54
I was using a trash compactor bag, but I found that the suspension hoop holders in my pack (ULA Circuit) were tearing through it. I ended up buying a Zpacks dry bag pack liner (http://zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml) to use instead. The trash compactor bag weighed 2.4 oz and the dry bag weighs 1.9 oz. The 0.5 oz difference doesn't really matter, but the dry bag doesn't tear, so I'm quite happy.

moytoy
02-05-2014, 22:55
Red Max at Lowes are scent free and hold up well.

CarlZ993
02-05-2014, 23:15
I was using a trash compactor bag, but I found that the suspension hoop holders in my pack (ULA Circuit) were tearing through it. I ended up buying a Zpacks dry bag pack liner (http://zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml) to use instead. The trash compactor bag weighed 2.4 oz and the dry bag weighs 1.9 oz. The 0.5 oz difference doesn't really matter, but the dry bag doesn't tear, so I'm quite happy.
I fortunately didn't have that problem w/ my trash compactor bag & my ULA Circuit. I bought my compactor bags at a regional TX grocery store (HEB) that was 20 gal size (2'4" X 2'11" - 2 mil; 75.7 Liters). About every month or so, I had my wife mail me a new one on the trail. I left the old one in the local hiker box. Never had any leaks.